James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

McClean again suffered vile abuse at a English football ground and not a single thing about it being reported . This is every bit as bad the racism suffered by coloured players which rightly gets highlighted .
Racism against Ireland

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think the problem is that it's not reported. The problem is that it's not taken seriously when it is.

It's thrown under the same hat as Celtic fans and their IRA chants, Hillsborough chants, Munich etc.

Just this faction of being a football fan that still exists, where it isn't considered weird to go to games pissed and coked up every week and spend the day deliberately being as much of a twat as you can, whilst not really caring about the football.

The FA and co are reluctant to shame or punish it since actually, this is about 50% of people who go to games regularly.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Really hasn't helped himself here, really stupid post but sure makes feck all difference as he'll still be targeted with sectarian abuse every weekend regardless.

arnie_ni

Really hasn't helped himself here, really stupid post but sure makes feck all difference as he'll still be targeted with sectarian abuse every weekend regardless.
I wonder why he's targeted.

He isnt the only catholic in the league, or the only person who doesnt wear a poppy but he's the only one who gets abused

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Type of player he is probably, he regularly lunges into tackles. He is absolutely right to not wear the poppy considering his background and the history of Derry but stuff like the above doesn't help.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Type of player he is probably, he regularly lunges into tackles. He is absolutely right to not wear the poppy considering his background and the history of Derry but stuff like the above doesn't help.
Nah. Nothing to do with that. Its because rightly or wrongly he comes over as someone who probably has sympathies with terrorists and hates the English.
Not personally bothered by him given his background but turning his back on the anthem of the country he is employed in shows who he is without the latest paramilitary history lesson photo.
Also the idea that loads of English people are sectarian in that sense is nuts. I doubt the fans giving abuse would know the first thing about it in the Irish context.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

He isnt the only catholic in the league, or the only person who doesnt wear a poppy but he's the only one who gets abused
Go on then, how many players refuse to wear the poppy? He's well within his rights even if he is a bit of a scrote. "Should be respecting the anthem" and all that other nationalistic bollocks that gets trotted out towards him gets right on my tits and I'm English and think the lad's a gimp.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Nah. Nothing to do with that. Its because rightly or wrongly he comes over as someone who probably has sympathies with terrorists and hates the English.
Not personally bothered by him given his background but turning his back on the anthem of the country he is employed in shows who he is without the latest paramilitary history lesson photo.
Also the idea that loads of English people are sectarian in that sense is nuts. I doubt the fans giving abuse would know the first thing about it in the Irish context.
That would probably apply to about 90-95% of home-grown players currently playing in England and I don't see them being abused regularly. Or at all, really.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Go on then, how many players refuse to wear the poppy? He's well within his rights even if he is a bit of a scrote. "Should be respecting the anthem" and all that other nationalistic bollocks that gets trotted out towards him gets right on my tits and I'm English and think the lad's a gimp.
Yeah he deffo has the right to not wear the poppy as all of us have that right. Thing is its not about respecting the anthem -noone would care if he hummed his own tune and ignored it but when you go out of your way to disrespect it then its obvious people will draw their conclusions.

arnie_ni

Matic for one albeit for a different reason, but there doesnt be boo said about him.

I didnt claim he wasnt within his rights to do anything, thats not why he gets abused.

He gets abused by english crowds because of how he carries himself.

This being a prime example

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Matic didnt wear the poppy recently. Nobody seemed to care.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just seems an utter loathesome guy, irrespective of any poppy stuff.

arnie_ni

Matic didnt wear the poppy recently. Nobody seemed to care.
Exactly. Its not the non wearing of a poppy or whatever else by itself that leads people to hate and abuse him.

And for the record two wrongs dont make a right before i get accused of sectarianism

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
That would probably apply to about 90-95% of home-grown players currently playing in England and I don't see them being abused regularly. Or at all, really.
Don’t follow ? Unless you mean sympathy towards the army? Thing Im saying is if an English guy was employed in an Irish team and he turned his back while the Irish anthem was played before a friendly etc etc it wouldn’t be a shock if some of the locals gave him some grief.

TwoSheds

Yeah he deffo has the right to not wear the poppy as all of us have that right. Thing is its not about respecting the anthem -noone would care if he hummed his own tune and ignored it but when you go out of your way to disrespect it then its obvious people will draw their conclusions.
Why do people care about a song though? I don't like my government either, they're scumbags, if somebody wants to protest I couldn't care less. You could say he's trying to get up people's noses but yes, that's the point of a protest. Who's going to think about it unless somebody makes a point?

And as regards Matic @arnie_ni have a look at this and tell me everyone's fine with him.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7651475/nemanja-matic-refuse-poppy-abuse-manchester-united/

Even the Sun think it's out of order and they're exactly the kind of bellsniffs who normally cheerlead that kind of behaviour.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Exactly. Its not the non wearing of a poppy or whatever else by itself that leads people to hate and abuse him.

And for the record two wrongs dont make a right before i get accused of sectarianism
I've had colleagues who walked out for a smoke during a minute silence for remembrance day. I couldn't care less. The key thing is, they don't harp on about it and set themselves up for abuse.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Don’t follow ? Unless you mean sympathy towards the army? Thing Im saying is if an English guy was employed in an Irish team and he turned his back while the Irish anthem was played before a friendly etc etc it wouldn’t be a shock if some of the locals gave him some grief.
I do.

The anthem thing is a bit overblown imo. He stood with his hands behind his back and stared at the ground. Seems respectful enough while a foreign anthem is playing, IMO.

arnie_ni

Why do people care about a song though? I don't like my government either, they're scumbags, if somebody wants to protest I couldn't care less. You could say he's trying to get up people's noses but yes, that's the point of a protest. Who's going to think about it unless somebody makes a point?

And as regards Matic @arnie_ni have a look at this and tell me everyone's fine with him.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7651475/nemanja-matic-refuse-poppy-abuse-manchester-united/

Even the Sun think it's out of order and they're exactly the kind of bellsniffs who normally cheerlead that kind of behaviour.
Wouldnt wipe my arse with the sun even with the shortage of toilet paper, but noted, i genuinely didnt think anyone said boo about matic

TwoSheds

Wouldnt wipe my arse with the sun even with the shortage of toilet paper, but noted, i genuinely didnt think anyone said boo about matic
Well I can applaud that sentiment sir :lol:

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
I do.

The anthem thing is a bit overblown imo. He stood with his hands behind his back and stared at the ground. Seems respectful enough while a foreign anthem is playing, IMO.
Had to google as couldn’t remember but yeah he turned away and looked down. With his background he was hardly going to show big respect but it was stupid to openly disrespect it - just invites abuse really.

laughtersassassin

Had to google as couldn’t remember but yeah he turned away and looked down. With his background he was hardly going to show big respect but it was stupid to openly disrespect it - just invites abuse really.
Such an anthem doesn't deserve an Irish Mans respect. He didn't do anything other than not participate. He is a twat but a twat that was well within reasonable moral standing.

TwoSheds

It's a protest, why does it deserve abuse? No different to Kaepernick in the NFL in my view.

Other than Kaepernick being an articulate, decent gent of course, while McClean's a muppet. But the act itself is no different.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
It's a protest, why does it deserve abuse? No different to Kaepernick in the NFL in my view.

Other than Kaepernick being an articulate, decent gent of course, while McClean's a muppet. But the act itself is no different.
Look Im not particularly bothered personally but its hardly the same Kaepernick was protesting the ongoing racial discrimination in the US that leads to hundreds of police killings of blacks every year.
McLean wasn’t protesting anything in particular just given his background in Derry he has a certain view towards England/The English anthem etc.
Not something that bothers me just think no matter which country you are working in, if you turn your back as their anthem is played then some of the locals will react. Its obvious no?

TwoSheds

Look Im not particularly bothered personally but its hardly the same Kaepernick was protesting the ongoing racial discrimination in the US that leads to hundreds of police killings of blacks every year.
McLean wasn’t protesting anything in particular just given his background in Derry he has a certain view towards England/The English anthem etc.
Not something that bothers me just think no matter which country you are working in, if you turn your back as their anthem is played then some of the locals will react. Its obvious no?
Yes but you're implying the fault is therefore McClean's not the pond scum who generally do the abusing.

lsd

The Oracle

He doesn't wear a poppy because of what the British Army did to his hometown . It's not because of hiw he feels about English people or the anthem .

He has a legitimate grievance about people trying to make him celebrate people who murdered innocent people in his hometown .

padr81

Supports
Man City
Stupid tit, after all the crying he does (rightly most the time) thats a massive bollock to drop and he should be very glad football is currently on a break because the blow back would be massive.

stevoc

The guy really is a clown and stuff like this just gives people ammunition to suggest he brought all the sectarian abuse onto himself.

Makes it easy for people to think or pretend he didn't receive death threats and abuse from the very first time he refused to wear a poppy before he's ever even opened his mouth or any of his twitter nonsense.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Horseshit read the facts before you post. Why dont you start with the history of Derry in the 70's

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
The guy really is a clown and stuff like this just gives people ammunition to suggest he brought all the sectarian abuse onto himself.

Makes it easy for people to think or pretend he didn't receive death threats and abuse from the very first time he refused to wear a poppy before he's ever even opened his mouth or any of his twitter nonsense.
Why is he a clown?

stevoc

Why is he a clown?
He complains (rightly) about the constant abuse he receives, people say the abuse stems from his attitude and behaviour with many thinking he is an IRA sympathizer. Then he posts a picture of himself wearing a balaclava on Instagram.

That sort of shit allows some people to believe he is what they think he is and that the abuse he receives is warranted. Look at that anthem debacle from years ago that people still bitch about, all he did was turn and bow his head slightly which in most scenarios would not be considered disrespectful and yet to hear people bleat on about it you would swear he took a shit on a Union Jack. What do you think those same people will make of this latest episode?

He doesn't do himself any favours and it probably contributes to him not getting the same level of protection other players on the receiving end of continuous abuse are afforded.

stevoc

Matic did get some abuse too to be fair.

McClean is the only Irish player who chooses not to wear a poppy but i have no doubt that if another Irish player chose not to wear a poppy they'd also get unwarranted abuse from the Nationalistic knuckle dragger element of most teams fans.

Pretty sure they are the only two players who choose not to wear a Poppy aren't they?

Paddymcc

The lad is a grade A Moron.

We ran into the West Brom team a few years ago while flying from Ireland to Orlando and we had a change over in stanstead. My son pointed out a few players while we were sitting in Nandos so we made our excuses for interrupting them and we had a bit of a chat and some pics with Darren fletcher, McCauley and Chris brunt. Nice lads and and made our apologies for interrupting their time but they were fantastic about it even for a child in a united jersey. We didn't even know fletcher was there until we were posing and he stood up from the next table and says "do you mind if I squeeze in". What a gent.

When we were leaving the plane I bump into Tony Pulis (Christ he has a loud voice) and we dandered down the corridor and shared a few words while my son was talking to Sadio Berahino who was busy taking pics and chatting with everyone. (Remember he stock back in them days).

We were in the baggage hall waiting for the carousel when I spotted James. My son was wearing a full Ireland tracksuit so I approached him and said "hey James sorry do you mind if I get a pic of yourself and the child?" He never even lifted his head from his phone and just ignored us. I don't know whether it was my Northern accent that he chose to ignore but just what a classless fool.

RUCK4444

Matic did get some abuse too to be fair.

McClean is the only Irish player who chooses not to wear a poppy but i have no doubt that if another Irish player chose not to wear a poppy they'd also get unwarranted abuse from the Nationalistic knuckle dragger element of most teams fans.

Pretty sure they are the only two players who choose not to wear a Poppy aren't they?
Wearing a feckin Poppy does not represent that you agree with every wrong doing during a war.

It’s a universal mark of respect for the dead.

stevoc

Wearing a feckin Poppy does not represent that you agree with every wrong doing during a war.

It’s a universal mark of respect for the dead.
Did you mean to reply to someone else?

If not then i've no idea what your point is in relation to my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.