g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

James Rodriguez / signs for Everton / 2 yr deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Total waste of money.
This way, by signing has-beens, Everton won't progress. It's such a Bolton Wanderers' move (or Chelsea's in the 90ties).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He'll be good for them I reckon, without being amazing.

Hard to see him being all that up for playing for a midtable side after having played for Real Madrid and Bayern.

monosierra

Hard to see him being all that up for playing for a midtable side after having played for Real Madrid and Bayern.
Wasn't he best midfielder in the La Liga under Ancelotti? I've read that he lacks technical finesse and physical attributes and that traditional #10s are no longer a position in demand but a drop from Madrid/Bayern to Everton is quite a fall from grace.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

I thought dropping from Bayern to Inter and then to Stoke was the bigger fall from grace for Shaq.

SambaBoy

He was quality for Madrid at the beginning, then he sort of got phased out due to injuries, his love of Madrid nightlife and the evolution of the game not favouring a number 10.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Total waste of money.
This way, by signing has-beens, Everton won't progress. It's such a Bolton Wanderers' move (or Chelsea's in the 90ties).
In Bolton's case they picked them up cheap and they worked fantastically well for them. Chelsea was a bit different, but it did usher in an era of continental players coming over, eventually earlier in their careers.

If Carlo has two workhorses behind him (Allan and Gueye) this could prove fruitful. They've got a lot of positions to fix though still.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
SeasonGamesGoalsAssistsMinutes playedInjured - daysGames missed
2019/2014127287614
2018/19 - Bayern loan287616548416
2017/18 - Bayern loan398142634869
2016/1733111118245510
2015/163281018595311
Average29.278.61739.8(19 games)7012
Guess that explains why he's going to Everton. We certainly don't need more injury prone players.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
What happened to his career? 6 years ago, he was the breakout star at the World Cup. Had a good first season at Madrid too, then it all sorta went downhill.

RashyForPM

No it’s not the same because James is ex superstar while the other two weren’t ex.
The other two weren’t superstars. They were just known around the world as good players. I mean, neither had left South America and both had less than half a dozen years of senior football under their belts. For me, that doesn’t constitute a superstar.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The other two weren’t superstars. They were just known around the world as good players. I mean, neither had left South America and both had less than half a dozen years of senior football under their belts. For me, that doesn’t constitute a superstar.
Tevez was superstar at that time and both Tevez & Mascherano were Argentine regular players and had lot of international football games before they joined West Ham, that's why those signings were considered overhype back then. Some people have short memory here of how overhype those signings at that time. Neymar was already superstar before he left Brazil, so I don't understand your logic of player needs to leave South America.

RashyForPM

Tevez was superstar at that time and both Tevez & Mascherano were Argentine regular players and had lot of international football games before they joined West Ham, that's why those signings were considered overhype back then. Some people have short memory here of how overhype those signings at that time. Neymar was already superstar before he left Brazil, so I don't understand your logic of player needs to leave South America.
Then we have completely different definitions of superstar. Superstar for me is Beckham, a player always in the limelight off the pitch and proving himself in the big leagues on it. Imo, Neymar only ticked the former box, so I don’t even think he was a superstar at Santos; he only became one when he went to Barcelona.

prateik

Are you really saying both are same? James is going just because of Ancelotti.

You can do better than this mate !
James is going because no one else wants him. No one.. His club have been desperate to get rid for years and no other club wants the player.

That and the fact that mid table premier league clubs can pay top wages unlike mid table clubs elsewhere.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Then we have completely different definitions of superstar. Superstar for me is Beckham, a player always in the limelight off the pitch and proving himself in the big leagues on it. Imo, Neymar only ticked the former box, so I don’t even think he was a superstar at Santos; he only became one when he went to Barcelona.
I can accept that but I can't accept if someone call James Rodriguez as ''superstar''. Because that's where the comparison from. And clearly you wouldn't call him superstar if your definition is someone like Beckham.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
James is going because no one else wants him. No one.. His club have been desperate to get rid for years and no other club wants the player.

That and the fact that mid table premier league clubs can pay top wages unlike mid table clubs elsewhere.
Do you think James would have chosen Everton if not for Ancelotti? He would have easily got a CL or EL team from Spain or Italy or Germany. His wages aren't astronomical.

RashyForPM

I can accept that but I can't accept if someone call James Rodriguez as ''superstar''. Because that's where the comparison from. And clearly you wouldn't call him superstar if your definition is someone like Beckham.
Then we’re actually agreeing. James has never been a superstar, a good international tournament and moving to a megaclub doesn’t grant someone superstar status, or Jordi Cruyff would be on the same pedestal as his dad :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Do you think James would have chosen Everton if not for Ancelotti? He would have easily got a CL or EL team from Spain or Italy or Germany. His wages aren't astronomical.
What team? :lol:

His agent is currently struggling to find him ''those teams'' that he even tried to offer James to us this year and we said no.

prateik

Easily? the guy cant find a club. Do you really think he'll turn down a CL club from a top league to play for Everton because of Carlo?
Madrid want over 20m for him. He wants 150k/week. No one is paying that for a squad player.

Mid table Premier League clubs can pay that money.. and he wont be a squad player at that level..
Ancelotti being there helps..He might be the reason they went for James at all.. But Ancelotti hasnt made James pick Everton over a better club.

bond19821982

bond19821982

Easily? the guy cant find a club. Do you really think he'll turn down a CL club from a top league to play for Everton because of Carlo?
Madrid want over 20m for him. He wants 150k/week. No one is paying that for a squad player.

Mid table Premier League clubs can pay that money.. and he wont be a squad player at that level..
Ancelotti being there helps..He might be the reason they went for James at all.. But Ancelotti hasnt made James pick Everton over a better club.
See above . I just explained it. Also he is just looking for 4.5m per year. This huge wage part is thing of a past.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

prateik

The Italian team was playing in Europe.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/madrid...r-from-italy-james/1gva56piay9k01xarn0t8k362f

Athletico were also linked to him earlier this season. He has also drastically reduced his wages (5m apparently) and transfer fees is around 15m.
And still no one wants him.. ouch.

No mention of club playing in Europe and the article is about last season.

The fact that he has been on the market for so long and the best you can find is some unnamed club being interested a year ago proves my point.

bond19821982

The article doesn't say anything about Italian team plays in EL or CL. Either you are making things up or just can't read.
Dude- you are free to believe whatever you want. I have no intention of making you believe this item. Just because you didn't see anything doesnt mean it hasn't happened. Stop belittling other posts because just because you missed something.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dude- you are free to believe whatever you want. I have no intention of making you believe this item. Just because you didn't see anything doesnt mean it hasn't happened. Stop belittling other posts because just because you missed something.
The argument is that this summer window no team who are bigger than Everton's status are interested or even think it's worthy to sign him. What happened was that last summer transfer window there were teams (could be any teams that worse than Everton) who are interested to sign him, it's irrelevant to the argument. Think rationally first before posting!!

bond19821982

And still no one wants him.. ouch.

No mention of club playing in Europe and the article is about last season.

The fact that he has been on the market for so long and the best you can find is some unnamed club being interested a year ago proves my point.
Yes, article was about last season - point was he has been getting offers from Spain or Italy and he could have easily accepted them. So the narrative he didn't get any other offers is not true.

The silly season just started. May be they already had a conversation that he is going to Everton ? He for sure was linked with Arsenal in January and Atletico Madrid earlier in May/June.

bond19821982

The argument is that this summer window no team who are bigger than Everton's status are interested or even can afford to sign him. What happened was that last summer transfer window there were teams who are interested to sign him, it's irrelevant to the argument. Think rationally first before posting!!
Ofcourse, I was purely talking from last season offers. The window just started now - may be there was already an agreement that he will Join Everton and so no one bothered ?

prateik

Yes, article was about last season - point was he has been getting offers from Spain or Italy and he could have easily accepted them. So the narrative he didn't get any other offers is not true.

The silly season just started. May be they already had a conversation that he is going to Everton ? He for sure was linked with Arsenal in January and Atletico Madrid earlier in May/June.
He got an offer from an unnmaed Spanish club last year which he though about accepting. The offer from Italy was rubbish.. He didnt want to go.
He has been linked to top clubs the same way Gaitan was linked to us.. His agent/club are offering him around.

The only narrative being pushed here is that he chose Everton because of Carlo.. while the reality is, no one else wanted him.. or at least no one else wanted him at the wages/fee Everton are going to pay.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ofcourse, I was purely talking from last season offers. The window just started now - may be there was already an agreement that he will Join Everton and so no one bothered ?
You are purely using irrelevant article for no reason. What is that article related to last season has anything to do with your statement of saying he would have easily chose a CL or EL team from Spain or Italy or Germany over Everton, when clearly none of those teams mentioned in the article are CL or EL team?? What's happening now?

Status
Not open for further replies.