James Scanlon

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Has really come on the last few months. Not going to say he'll be a first team regular tomorrow but he has impressed

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Some more info:

Position: attacking midfielder (can play out wide)
Joined United: 2021, from Derby County
U18 apps/goals 23/24: 11 apps, 8 goals
U21 apps/goals 23/24: 5 apps, 0 goals

International career:

Gibraltar U17: 4 caps, 3 goals (2022)
Gibraltar U21: 4 caps, 0 goals (2023-present)
Gibraltar: 2 caps, 0 goals

Qualifies for Gibraltar through his mother Gabriella (née Falero), a former athlete who holds the Gibraltar record for 4 × 100m relay, set with her team in 1995. Younger brother Luca plays for United U15s and represents Gibraltar at U16 level.

lysglimt

Scout
Has really come on the last few months. Not going to say he'll be a first team regular tomorrow but he has impressed
His performance yesterday was one of the better I have seen at this level over the last couple of seasons - especially seeing a lot of his teammates were average at best.

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
His performance yesterday was one of the better I have seen at this level over the last couple of seasons - especially seeing a lot of his teammates were average at best.
That's something that the first team lack at the moment. Even on an off day, you can generally rely on at least one player to step up and make the difference for the U18s (yesterday was Scanlon) in 90% of games this season. The first team don't seem to have that.

lysglimt

Scout
That's something that the first team lack at the moment. Even on an off day, you can generally rely on at least one player to step up and make the difference for the U18s (yesterday was Scanlon) in 90% of games this season. The first team don't seem to have that.
The first team doesn't understand how to press - so that makes them 3 times wore than they are. They press high with 4 players who ... well suck at it.....and then the rest of the team doesn't follow the press. So Casemiro and Mainoo are usually alone with 3 players - and let's just say they are not great one on one.

I just don't understand why we dont press with the whole team or start the press much lower.....a League 2 side can play through our press

Gordon S

and then the rest of the team doesn't follow the press
This does my head in. 2-3 players run their socks off up front trying to create a mistake and the rest of the team are basically walking up the pitch, leaving the opponents with 2-3 available players to pass to at all times.
and it is regardless of players he chooses. So, must be by design. They are fighting teeth and nails to block shots in their own box so it is not about desire or lack of it either. Will never figure out the idea behind it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If he played for the first team would Gibraltar be the lowest ranked country to have a player represent us?

lysglimt

Scout
Well considering Gibraltar is as close to the bottom as you can possibly get - my guess would be yes

But you never know, suddenly we sign James Gomez from Odense, DK - and we have an international from Guam :)

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Well considering Gibraltar is as close to the bottom as you can possibly get - my guess would be yes

But you never know, suddenly we sign James Gomez from Odense, DK - and we have an international from Guam :)
Actually he's Gambian

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Yes. He and Danny Higginbotham have that distinction.

Gibraltar are currently 203/211 in the FIFA rankings.
Expect them to climb the rankings a bit at the end of the year though. With Scanlon assisting the attack Gibraltar should expect some big wins against Liechtenstein and San Marino in the Nations League - they have decent strikers in Tjay De Barr and Jaiden Bartolo, but until March it had always been De Barr up top on his own trying to make things happen - with Scanlon now in to link up midfield and attack Scanlon should run rings around the San Marino defence in particular, which should create chances for both himself and De Barr (as well as other emerging attackers Liam Jessop (of Chesterfield) and Jaiden Bartolo (of Wealdstone, heavily rumoured to be joining Wycombe this summer)). If they win all 4 Nations League games and arrange some favourable friendlies they can win, then they shoud be able to get back into the top 200. Of course the only thing holding them back is their godawful manager Julio Ribas.

Borninthe80ts

I must admit he didn’t stand out to me, similar to Williams, I saw a good player but no attribute that marked him out. I’m glad that he has stepped up towards the end of the season and as ever shows development isn’t always a straight course.

Not sure where his best position is either but he seems to have a taste for goals and good composure. It really is difficult to pick a first 11 when everyone is on form.

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Gibraltar play Scotland and Wales in friendlies in June, they'll be a good test for Scanlon against senior opposition. Might see him going up against McTominay.