James Wilson Leaving | Signs for Salford City FC

Would never have imagined he would end up playing league 2. You can never be sure someone is a United player, but I couldn't have imagined he would be lower than bottom half prem/championship player.
And I wonder how much of that is down to the United/Salford City connection. He could have been even further down the ladder otherwise.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can we move this flop to the Football Forum please? Not sure why he’s still being discussed here, he left since the summer, and is yet another kid who didn’t make the grade for whatever reason.

Alabaster Codify7

A stark reminder for all those adamant that we're going to have this team brimming with academy gems. About 20% of them will be PL worthy players, let alone United worthy players. Remember that and be careful what you wish for...

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
A stark reminder for all those adamant that we're going to have this team brimming with academy gems. About 20% of them will be PL worthy players, let alone United worthy players. Remember that and be careful what you wish for...
It's a timely reminder that alot of stars need to align for a player to make that jump and get it to stick for sure.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Would never have imagined he would end up playing league 2. You can never be sure someone is a United player, but I couldn't have imagined he would be lower than bottom half prem/championship player.
Sounds like someone that has all but given up on football. He keeps doing it because it's the only thing he knows and he gets some money for it. I've seen it a lot. I reckon close to half of the Icelandic top talent (all players that move abroad at 15-17) come home in the next few years and many of them can't even make it in the top division. A lot of it is mental, depression is not something that's discussed in football and being a professional footballer (even semi-pro) is all about keeping focus.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Sounds like someone that has all but given up on football. He keeps doing it because it's the only thing he knows and he gets some money for it. I've seen it a lot. I reckon close to half of the Icelandic top talent (all players that move abroad at 15-17) come home in the next few years and many of them can't even make it in the top division. A lot of it is mental, depression is not something that's discussed in football and being a professional footballer (even semi-pro) is all about keeping focus.
You might be right. Fingers crossed he's ok as a person as that's obviously the most important thing.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You might be right. Fingers crossed he's ok as a person as that's obviously the most important thing.
Sometimes you find something more than football and stick to a level even though you are better. Former United reserve team captain has played in Iceland for the past 9 years. He was brought to the country by former Forest player and Sir Alex Ferguson job saver Toddi Örlygsson and he simply has liked it here. Been consistently the top 3-5 best midfielder in the league.

Hopefully for Wilson he's choosing to going back to an environment that he's familiar with to find the love of the game again. Sort of like Eiður Guðjohnsen did. Returned to Iceland after his two awful injuries at PSV (where he would have been partnering Ronaldo) and then Bolton scouts had their eye open and snapped him up.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Sometimes you find something more than football and stick to a level even though you are better. Former United reserve team captain has played in Iceland for the past 9 years. He was brought to the country by former Forest player and Sir Alex Ferguson job saver Toddi Örlygsson and he simply has liked it here. Been consistently the top 3-5 best midfielder in the league.

Hopefully for Wilson he's choosing to going back to an environment that he's familiar with to find the love of the game again. Sort of like Eiður Guðjohnsen did. Returned to Iceland after his two awful injuries at PSV (where he would have been partnering Ronaldo) and then Bolton scouts had their eye open and snapped him up.
Cracking posts from you and Fiskey.
Hopefully Wilson rediscovered his love and form in the game.

Big expectations come with that 'ex United youth team player' tag and it can be difficult to find your feet after leaving a huge club like United and suddenly being on your own.

Fabien Brandy comes to mind, Larnell Cole, Jack Barmby, Tom Thorpe, Cameron Stewart...some names that pop into my head immediately who had rumblings of potential, left and struggled to settle anywhere.

Why I hold the likes of King, Lawrence (despite idiotic behaviour) and Ben Pearson in high regard. Making successes of themselves at a decent level...but it's most certainly a mental and emotional battle!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What actually happened to him? Was it injuries or was it a mentality issue?
He looked fragile and lacked the physical attributes to lead the line in Scotland and get into good positions. You need something be it pace or strength to play as a #9 in the British game. I’m unsure whether that is down to injuries or Joyce’s criticism about his lack of work off the park to get stronger, faster and more resilient.

Thiagoal

He’s still young and you never know this move might be the making of him! His ability to stick the ball in the net is obvious so hoping it works out for him!

I think he’d work best with a big target man next to him doing the dirty work and Wilson feeding off that! Will keep an eye on his progress