January Transfer Window

oleonenumber20

get Coentrao in on loan with the right to buy. Can't see us getting Shaw and Baines will be priced out of the market.

15 mil bid for Lallana, the lads got good technique and a great engine will press high all day.

Then do some proper business in the summer, no need to panic now by splashing cash we haven't got we have been in worse positions than this in our great history

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So, all the signs are that we'll do little or no strengthening in this window.

In one sense that's fine. Our squad is already strong enough to make the top four if Moyes gets them playing to something near their best.

It does mean that Moyes' reign will stand or fall on what we do in the summer though. That's worrying as a) we don't know if we've learned from our feck ups in the last window and b) it's a world cup year so making signing will be more difficult than usual.

He'll basically need to have one of the most successful windows in recent history (bringing in around four players who can improve us dramatically) against the odds. That's a lot of pressure.

I hope he knows what he's doing because if he doesn't it'll cost him his job.

Gerald G

I would be happy with us just signing Coentrao if I'm honest. I understand what Moyes is saying. I too believe we need some top quality players but they're not available so do we go for players like Cabaye? The problem is if we finish outside the top four those top players will still be unavailable so it's a bit of a dilemma.

Honestly I'd be content with just Coentrao.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's apparently said he urgently needs new players but he can't get them in January.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If you can't get the truly 'first team quality' players in January I understand that, and fair enough. I'd strongly argue that almost every other starting central midfielder in the top 15 teams in the prem would improve us, but okay.

But.

Given how much rebuilding needs to be happening, I'd therefore use this period to try and offload some deadwood, and bring the 'squad players' that will suit what Moyes is trying to build towards. Get rid of Anderson and Fabio now, let Zaha go out on loan and bring Powell or Lingard back into the fold at the very least.

What makes no sense whatsoever is doing nothing and leaving even more work to do in the summer.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
We're going to get gouged in the Summer if he has said that. Surely not? :lol:

Ravel Morrison and Pogba in!

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The 50-year-old insists there is an "urgency" to bolster his squad but admits his main targets are unlikely to switch clubs during the winter window
David Moyes says Manchester United are unable to sign their main targets in January and says, therefore, they are unlikely to buy anyone.

The Premier League champions currently sit seventh in the table, 11 points behind leaders Arsenal, and have crashed out of the FA Cup third round following Sunday's 2-1 defeat at home to Swansea City.

Moyes had previously urged caution ahead of the window and has reiterated that the club are unlikely to sign their priority targets this month.

“I said that I would try to but it would probably be doubtful in January,” the United manager told reporters. "There’s an urgency that we would like to bring people in but are those players available in January?

“The players we would like to bring in probably aren’t available in January.

“It’s not because we wouldn’t like to do it, it’s because they aren’t available.”

United went behind via Wayne Routledge’s early opener but pulled level through Javier Hernandez.

With the score level in the second half, Fabio, four minutes after coming on as a substitute, was sent off for a challenge on Jose Canas, while Wilfried Bony’s header fired Michael Laudrup’s side into the fourth round.

Moyes admits referee Mike Dean made the correct decision with Fabio’s dismissal but claims his side put in a performance worthy of securing a replay.

“I thought we played well enough,” said the Scot. “I didn’t think we deserved to lose but we did. We put out a really strong team today with lots of international players.

“We should have taken more chances when the opportunities were there.

“We’re just lacking a bit of courage when we get in to the final third at times.

“We need to get back to winning ways. We have to make sure we find a solution to win. It doesn’t matter what style, we have to find a way of winning.

“It’s been a tough start, a tough period. I’m disappointed not to win more games and play better but I’m sure it will change.”

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
“The players we would like to bring in probably aren’t available in January.

“It’s not because we wouldn’t like to do it, it’s because they aren’t available.”
And at season end, when we finish 7th and no CL for next season...they will be available, but not willing to come.
Cup tied or not...just go buy them now! Atleast we will have more confidence in our squad for next season.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
And at season end, when we finish 7th and no CL for next season...they will be available, but not willing to come.
Cup tied or not...just go buy them now! Atleast we will have more confidence in our squad for next season.
Still in the hands of the player though, they will see the current situation and understand there are better options for them. It's not as easy as just buying them now, they have to want to pick up the pen and agree terms and unfortunately, that's just not going to happen at the moment (talking about the top quality players).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Still in the hands of the player though, they will see the current situation and understand there are better options for them. It's not as easy as just buying them now, they have to want to pick up the pen and agree terms and unfortunately, that's just not going to happen at the moment (talking about the top quality players).
It's more like making a statement. Our position does not give us freedom to wait for 'value in the market'. With our history, the promise of active rebuild along with a a bit extra pay is mandatory to get players interested in us. Not knee jerk, but we need to pick 1 or 2 cricitcal players and get them even it means paying a premium.

Eric'sCollar

It's more like making a statement. Our position does not give us freedom to wait for 'value in the market'. With our history, the promise of active rebuild along with a a bit extra pay is mandatory to get players interested in us. Not knee jerk, but we need to pick 1 or 2 cricitcal players and get them even it means paying a premium.
I agree with that but the same point sort of stands, we just can't go out and buy what we want. Because the players we want don't want us. The only incentive we have at the moment is that we are Manchester United, we can't gaurentee European football, we can't offer a serious title challenge, we can't offer the wages other clubs can and other clubs can outbid us if it came down to a transfer fee. Hopefully our name can be enough but I don't think it is.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It'll be even harder if we're not playing in the Champions League next season. We'll need to have a few deals sorted before the World Cup starts as otherwise we're getting to August without doing anything again.
Another thing is if we do by some chance get 4th place, we will need to go into a pre-qualifying round for the CL, so he might want the players to come earlier than they would like.

kps88

I don't think it's a question of cup tied or paying premiums. The sort of players we are after are integral to their clubs and they won't want to sell in January, no matter what. Clubs like Athletico and Everton are on track for successful seasons and wouldn't want to disrupt it by selling their key players. Even if it means an extra 5m.

Mainoldo

I don't think it's a question of cup tied or paying premiums. The sort of players we are after are integral to their clubs and they won't want to sell in January, no matter what. Clubs like Athletico and Everton are on track for successful seasons and wouldn't want to disrupt it by selling their key players. Even if it means an extra 5m.
Not being funny but clubs of the calibre you talk of should be easy pickings and if that is what is stopping us then i don't know. Its the Juventus's of the world that require summer deals. Either way it doesn't matter what he says we were never going to buy i don't know why he played it like January was going to be crucial and then pick targets that are unattainable. I tell you what Moyes look somewhere else. Its not hard! We need a spark even if its just for months. He can rectify his mistakes in the summer after his Jnauary signings have helped us gain 4th spot.

KanieKaned

If we could grab a fullback and a midfielder like say Cabaye or Lallana for the time being I think id be content with that until the summer. However I aint holding much hope of us doing any business whatsoever during the window.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It's obvious we need more than a few players, even if it means getting someone like a Henrik Larrsson to simply give the squad a boost.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we could grab a fullback and a midfielder like say Cabaye or Lallana for the time being I think id be content with that until the summer. However I aint holding much hope of us doing any business whatsoever during the window.
For the time being? We'd be stuck with them for 3+ years. The last thing this club needs is more squad players. We need up to 5 top quality additions.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
the club could be making enquiries, and other clubs could be telling us to feck off, or asking seriously stupid money.
So pay it.

Paying a premium of £10m on every player we sign for the next 10 players will still be more economical than not buying them and lingering around midtable.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
What do people want him to do. If the players aren't available until the summer then they aren't available until the summer. If the players don't want to come and play for Manchester United and earn more money and fame than they would for their own clubs then so be it, we don't want them anyway.

I personally think the deals for the players coming in in the summer are being done right now.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Are you thick?

He said the players that we want are not available in January. What part of that is difficult to understand?

CL or no CL we are a fecking massive club. Wish people would remember that occasionally.

Godfather

Everton can keep their players anyway. Athletico would probably listen if a huge offers comes in though. Should also look to Italy. Pjanic at Roma looks brilliant.

Bestie07

CL or no CL we are a fecking massive club. Wish people would remember that occasionally.
People will remember it if the club acts like it in the transfer market. We were hardly a big draw when we were Champions, why was us being a massive club not a factor then? The mistakes we made in the last summer window may well be repeated in the next as well, people need to remember that, it's not as if all the players who rejected us last summer will now be jumping with glee at the thought of joining us.

KanieKaned

For the time being? We'd be stuck with them for 3+ years. The last thing this club needs is more squad players. We need up to 5 top quality additions.
Dont jump the gun Pex. I think either player would be a good signing for us considering the state we are in. Both are good ball players who could contibute, probably more so than some of our current squad players. The summer is where we try and really strengthen the midfield. Well, at least I fecking hope we do.

kps88

Not being funny but clubs of the calibre you talk of should be easy pickings and if that is what is stopping us then i don't know. Its the Juventus's of the world that require summer deals. Either way it doesn't matter what he says we were never going to buy i don't know why he played it like January was going to be crucial and then pick targets that are unattainable. I tell you what Moyes look somewhere else. Its not hard! We need a spark even if its just for months. He can rectify his mistakes in the summer after his Jnauary signings have helped us gain 4th spot.

Athletico are in a title race while Everton are in with a shot of qualifying for Europe. No way either would want to sell their best players in the middle of that.

I agree he needs to look elsewhere though. We need him to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get in someone inspirational who would give the squad and fans a lift. Something like the Larsson signing would be nice.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
People will remember it if the club acts like it in the transfer market. We were hardly a big draw when we were Champions, why was us being a massive club not a factor then? The mistakes we made in the last summer window may well be repeated in the next as well, people need to remember that, it's not as if all the players who rejected us last summer will now be jumping with glee at the thought of joining us.
Players are not going to suddenly start joining Gladbach for instance or even Everton (if they qualify for the CL instead us). We are a huge draw and have signed plenty of brilliant players. Juventus signed Vidal from Leverkusen when they failed to qualify for the CL and Leverkusen had.

Glanville95

This didn't stop Coutinho and Sturridge from joining Liverpool last season and subsequently making a massive impact did it? Even in spite of Liverpool being in a similar situation to us.

If you are astute enough and your scouting is extensive, you can still sign very good players, whether it's a World Cup year or not.

Absolute Fruit Cake is right, we really need to make a statement and make a signing that immediately impacts the team like Liverpool did last year. Sometimes it is as basic as showing fecking ambition and stumping up the goods.

I'm sure there are plenty of quality players that could be attainable this January and this 'no value in the January market' or 'few players available' is just a load of bollocks and a tired excuse. Given our precarious situation we might as well prepare for next season by defining our squad now.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Are you thick?

He said the players that we want are not available in January. What part of that is difficult to understand?

We are the new massives now, huh?

I do get what he was saying. My point if you could bloody read, was that situation would only be likely to deteriorate in season end if we do not buy now, so we must put as much effort as possible now. Even when we won the league, it's not as it top players were queueing up to join the 'massive club'!

Eric'sCollar

This didn't stop Coutinho and Sturridge from joining Liverpool last season and subsequently making a massive impact did it? Even in spite of Liverpool being in a similar situation to us.

If you are astute enough and your scouting is extensive, you can still sign very good players, whether it's a World Cup year or not.

Absolute Fruit Cake is right, we really need to make a statement and make a signing that immediately impacts the team like Liverpool did last year. Sometimes it is as basic as showing fecking ambition and stuping up the goods.

I'm sure there are plenty of quality players that could be attainable this January and this 'no value in the January market' or 'few players available' is just a tired excuse and I'm fed up with. Given our precarious situation we might as well prepare for next season by defining our squad now.
You might not understand what I am getting at. The players that we are after (in the media) will not join a club not in the Champions League if they have a club that can offer that. I have stated that we will always be a big club and for that reason always be a powerful player in the transfer market. Also, with the financial plan the club has in the case of missing out on the Champions League, the transfer funds available wouldn't be too different to what they are now.

You're right with your Liverpool example, the likes of Coutinho and Suarez etc and we could do the same, I'm sure of it but my point was around this window and the summer coming up, it's not an attractive option for many players at the moment. In a year or two with maybe signs of progress, like Liverpool showed, then we can start that phase but hopefully it doesn't get to that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We are the new massives now, huh?

I do get what he was saying. My point if you could bloody read, was that situation would only be likely to deteriorate in season end if we do not buy now, so we must put as much effort as possible now. Even when we won the league, it's not as it top players were queueing up to join the 'massive club'!
No, we are a fecking huge club and for plenty of players the lack of CL won't be a hindrance.

And what's your suggestion? Kidnap the players and smuggle them into Old Trafford? Just because you're a fecking creep does not mean that holds true for Moyes.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No, we are a fecking huge club and for plenty of players the lack of CL won't be a hindrance.

And what's your suggestion? Kidnap the players and smuggle them into Old Trafford? Just because you're a fecking creep does not mean that holds true for Moyes.
Plenty of player's who would jump to come here even without CL, huh? Even Rooney won't be here. Keep kidding yourself. I'm pretty sure that what the scousers said to themselves and most still do. I still stand by my point that if we put in serious effort, we stand a better chance of getting plers now than at end of season! All I want is the effort now...I'm not asking for a confirmed buy. Too bad they don't have a moron of the yar award for you...maybe next season!

MUFCgal

I'd be happy with Coentrao coming in. Also I'd go for Cabaye and get him in. A good proven PL midfielder who would help us greatly. I don't think we could do much else this month in all honesty.

I don't see any great shake-up until the summer.

Glanville95

You might not understand what I am getting at. The players that we are after (in the media) will not join a club not in the Champions League if they have a club that can offer that. I have stated that we will always be a big club and for that reason always be a powerful player in the transfer market. Also, with the financial plan the club has in the case of missing out on the Champions League, the transfer funds available wouldn't be too different to what they are now.

You're right with your Liverpool example, the likes of Coutinho and Suarez etc and we could do the same, I'm sure of it but my point was around this window and the summer coming up, it's not an attractive option for many players at the moment. In a year or two with maybe signs of progress, like Liverpool showed, then we can start that phase but hopefully it doesn't get to that.
Signing the likes of Koke and Reus is very unrealistic of course, I'm not denying that. They are both at clubs who are currently better than United, progressing well in the Champions League and in positions to play CL football next year.

However, I'm not necessarily talking about Champions League players, there are still very good players who play lower level football who could instantly impact United, all you need to be is astute in the market as Liverpool have been in the last few January windows.

I don't want to sound naive and United would take a big hit if they were to miss out on top four, but due to their revenue they are still a very sustainable club with the foundations in place for success in the future with the promising youth in the squad.

I'm sure players will still see that and United will still have a strong allure on a lot of players. The problem is United actually showing initiative in the transfer market and going about their negotiating amateurishly, opposed to United not being an attractive proposition for players. Hopefully Ed will start doing his fecking job properly.

It will take time to amend the weaknesses - as there are a lot - and the prospect of no CL football could well have an effect on van Persie and Rooney, but three or four quality signings could go a long way to rectifying our deficiencies. Easier said than done...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Plenty of player's who would jump to come here even without CL, huh? Even Rooney won't be here. Keep kidding yourself. I'm pretty sure that what the scousers said to themselves and most still do. I still stand by my point that if we put in serious effort, we stand a better chance of getting plers now than at end of season! All I want is the effort now...I'm not asking for a confirmed buy. Too bad they don't have a moron of the yar award for you...maybe next season!
:lol:

So now you want effort? Keep backtracking...And I'm afraid you would sweep up that as well. Creepiest moron of the year, your pillow must be so proud.

If the players don't want to come or the clubs don't to sell in Jan then we should wait till the summer. That's what the club should have done in the summer instead signing Fellaini, so I'm glad they have learned something. I'm sure the scousers do that seeing as they have picked up the likes of Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho despite not being in the CL.

Glanville95

I'd be happy with Coentrao coming in. Also I'd go for Cabaye and get him in. A good proven PL midfielder who would help us greatly. I don't think we could do much else this month in all honesty.

I don't see any great shake-up until the summer.
I'd be happy with that and I think a left back and a central midfielder is what we've got to be targeting this month, with hopefully Anderson and Buttner leaving and Zaha going on loan.