Jarrad Branthwaite | Ornstein: Everton have no intention to sell despite takeover collapse

But he did win his last title because he bought in Robin van Persie. The striker won him the title, the defense didnt win him a title the year before.
He didn't win the title though. We won because we had no competition.

It's the same story year after year.
So it's normal then? Not dragging? We don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

It's June 9th, euros not even started yet, it's ludicrous to suggest we're dragging out feet with transfers.

I'm happy the club is taking its time with ten hag. You'd hope they're considering every possible outcome in sacking him and hiring x/y/z and whether or not it's truly worth it. If done right that process can take a while.

Or would you rather we did a Chelsea or a Bayern?

So it's normal then? Not dragging? We don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

It's June 9th, euros not even started yet, it's ludicrous to suggest we're dragging out feet with transfers.

I'm happy the club is taking its time with ten hag. You'd hope they're considering every possible outcome in sacking him and hiring x/y/z and whether or not it's truly worth it. If done right that process can take a while.

Or would you rather we did a Chelsea or a Bayern?
Come on!
It's June the 9th and Euros soon starting. You said it yourself.
If you don't grab certain players before the Euros then you risk having to pay much more for them if they play really well.
Not even having a manager in place is ludicrous as he should be able to know what players he's going to be working with.
Very soon the players will be coming back and then the tour starts and before you know it here comes the Charity Shield.
This happens to United each and every year and it's not a good situation.

Come on!
It's June the 9th and Euros soon starting. You said it yourself.
If you don't grab certain players before the Euros then you risk having to pay much more for them if they play really well.
Not even having a manager in place is ludicrous as he should be able to know what players he's going to be working with.
Very soon the players will be coming back and then the tour starts and before you know it here comes the Charity Shield.
This happens to United each and every year and it's not a good situation.
So I repeat, what other big clubs have made significant signings in this short period between season ending and the euros starting?

I'll help you out, real Madrid have signed mbappe. He's been signed for half a season though.

Who else?

So I repeat, what other big clubs have made significant signings in this short period between season ending and the euros starting?

I'll help you out, real Madrid have signed mbappe. He's been signed for half a season though.

Who else?
So what?
Even if that were the case we don't have to be like any other teams.
I still think that we should get moving with transfers.
I'll help you out too - especially the EtH saga should have been solved by now.
It's been like this for a number of years at United and we're getting more of the same from Ratcliffe.

So what?
Even if that were the case we don't have to be like any other teams.
I still think that we should get moving with transfers.
I'll help you out too - especially the EtH saga should have been solved by now.
It's been like this for a number of years at United and we're getting more of the same from Ratcliffe.
'So what' is a goat tier response tbf.

Also what kind of logic is that? United aren't making signings when literally no one has made a signing so they must be doing shit?

Of all the sticks to bash the club with, this is not one.

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes and you don't need to know either.

'So what' is a goat tier response tbf.

Also what kind of logic is that? United aren't making signings when literally no one has made a signing so they must be doing shit?

Of all the sticks to bash the club with, this is not one.

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes and you don't need to know either.
I respect your opinion but disagree with you.

Slower and more clumsy.

From the little I've seen, that's the closest one I could liken him too. But I've only seen 4-5 matches. As an LCB (even if he can play on the right side) I just think it's an extraordinary amount of money for someone who is not outstanding and not exactly what we need. Buying Inacio for 50m (rumoured release clause), another LCB, would make more sense as he can cover for two positions where we have essential players who both are question marks in terms of fitness (Shaw and Martinez). That being said, what makes the most sense is quite obviously to buy a RCB who has enough pace to field a high line and is both good on the ball as well as making up the height we lack with Martinez.

And should we persist with this idea of playing a high line, high pressing game, we simply have no use for Maguire or Lindelof, so ideally we'll sell them both this summer.

Also for the record: I think this whole "he can only play LCB/He can only play RCB" is fecking stupid in the grand scheme of things. Sure it helps in build up to have the correct strong foot on a certain side, but if a player is technical enough he'll figure out how to play right footed passes from the left side and vice versa anyways. Think the obsession with it has gone a bit overboard in recent years, first and foremost I want 2 elite CB's that lock down the backline regardless of if they are right footed or not.

Well time to see the difference between INEOS and the previous regime, because if we give Everton 70m for Branthwaite there's literally no difference between them and Murtough/Woodward.
He is going to be expensive, what I don't get is why have we seemingly made him our priority signing when we need a RCB more? If we spend big on him it's going to affect how much we can spend on other positions and we will have three or more positions needing strengthening after this. Is he really good, starter level good, on the right?

Well time to see the difference between INEOS and the previous regime, because if we give Everton 70m for Branthwaite there's literally no difference between them and Murtough/Woodward.
How so?
Was evident when we bought Harry he wasn't suited to the style of play we were looking for, so we over paid for the wrong style of defender.

Even if we excluded price tags he’d be my least favored CB option of all names mentioned. He’s an LCB that can’t provide LB coverage, playing from the back and ball at the feet skills aren’t his strong suit, and he’s more expensive than all other options!

Just screams of lazy journo work. Everton need money ASAP so why not link the young English CB to United.

How so?
Was evident when we bought Harry he wasn't suited to the style of play we were looking for, so we over paid for the wrong style of defender.

I'm speaking more so from a business perspective. Branthwaite is hardly a Van Dijk level "can't miss" prospect, so if Everton hold out for a huge fee when we know they have to sell anyways and we still make him a priority a la Mount last season then nothing has changed. The CB market is absolutely loaded with top prospects and good players for value everywhere, spending 70m on Branthwaite is simply a poor allocation of funds and narrow minded.

He is going to be expensive, what I don't get is why have we seemingly made him our priority signing when we need a RCB more? If we spend big on him it's going to affect how much we can spend on other positions and we will have three or more positions needing strengthening after this. Is he really good, starter level good, on the right?

I assume he's going to play RCB. His left foot is only a bit stronger than his right but he'll probably do fine at RCB. Maybe right footers without a strong left foot played at LCB just fine. Long contract at Everton unfortunately and they'll play hardball.

On a positive note: https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/03/monster-jarrad-branthwaite-destined-for-top/
Highlights: Recovery pace, height, how well he does in both ground and aerial duels. He'll be the guy that's aggressive in challenging the forward and winning the ball back to prevent counters. All the people who complain about not being able to play a high line because CBs don't have pace will finally shut up.

I love the optimism, but going by our business in recent times I expect this to go on and on until we eventually capitulate and pay £70m + add-ons once we earn enough money.

I also don't think he's good enough.

I love the optimism, but going by our business in recent times I expect this to go on and on until we eventually capitulate and pay £70m + add-ons once we earn enough money.

I agree. I’d rather spend less on a better CB. One of the Sporting Lisbon CB would be better.

Let's wait and see...the first signing of the INEOS era needs to tick a lot of boxes.

Going after Branthwaite and paying a bloated fee would be prime time United/Woody era, so it will be interesting to see how any deal develops...if the rumoured interest is true of course.

Also for the record: I think this whole "he can only play LCB/He can only play RCB" is fecking stupid in the grand scheme of things. Sure it helps in build up to have the correct strong foot on a certain side, but if a player is technical enough he'll figure out how to play right footed passes from the left side and vice versa anyways. Think the obsession with it has gone a bit overboard in recent years, first and foremost I want 2 elite CB's that lock down the backline regardless of if they are right footed or not.

I think this make senses in the 'grand scheme of things' but on a granular scale, it probably does help with (an arbitrary figure like) 1% difference and that 1% probably matters at this level.

I can imagine if you've played the majority of your career on 'one side' then adjusting to another part of the pitch will affect e.g how you receive the ball, how you open your body up, what's your natural peripheral vision/eyeline sight, what's your stronger standing foot, how do you shield a player going down the channel and your sensibility for looking over your shoulder etc. It really depends on the player but all in all, I do think there's a reasonable deduction to say 'he can play on the xyz side but is he the most natural, comfortable and/or experienced at it?'.

I know it's a different proposition but it's like looking at wingers and fullbacks and seeing how comfortable they perform their roles on the other side. It's not really that straight forward.

Overall though, agree on the bolded.

Out of context/for shits and giggles: I usually play at the back in defence in 5/6/7 aside and for some reason, I'm most comfortable receiving the ball on the left but I'm best shielding players down the line on the right :lol:

Let's wait and see...the first signing of the INEOS era needs to tick a lot of boxes.

Going after Branthwaite and paying a bloated fee would be prime time United/Woody era, so it will be interesting to see how any deal develops...if the rumoured interest is true of course.
I would be shocked if we spend more than 50mil on any player this summer.

And at that cost, Branthwaite would be playing RCB, because we're not paying that much for a backup to Martinez.

I think this make senses in the 'grand scheme of things' but on a granular scale, it probably does help with (an arbitrary figure like) 1% difference and that 1% probably matters at this level.

I can imagine if you've played the majority of your career on 'one side' then adjusting to another part of the pitch will affect e.g how you receive the ball, how you open your body up, what's your natural peripheral vision/eyeline sight, what's your stronger standing foot, how do you shield a player going down the channel and your sensibility for looking over your shoulder etc. It really depends on the player but all in all, I do think there's a reasonable deduction to say 'he can play on the xyz side but is he the most natural, comfortable and/or experienced at it?'.

I know it's a different proposition but it's like looking at wingers and fullbacks and seeing how comfortable they perform their roles on the other side. It's not really that straight forward.

Overall though, agree on the bolded.

Out of context/for shits and giggles: I usually play at the back in defence in 5/6/7 aside and for some reason, I'm most comfortable receiving the ball on the left but I'm best shielding players down the line on the right :lol:

Fair point but he seems to have played RCB for PSV (appreciate if Eredivisie watchers can confirm)

e.g., https://fbref.com/en/matches/bef7e214/PSV-Eindhoven-Volendam-August-31-2022-Eredivisie

Maybe he's one of those freak two footed players that this doesn't apply to. Looked at the stats in eredivisie and the passing doesn't look half as bad either. https://fbref.com/en/players/c1949191/scout/11629/Jarrad-Branthwaite-Scouting-Report

Ok I'm giving up on Olise and camping in this thread now.

So far Branthwaite has done quite a bit more than Yoro in his career. Obviously there’s an age gap and a price gap and Yoro may have a much higher ceiling but he also may not pan out plus he wants Madrid so it’s probably off the table. Branthwaite is currently the safer option and a long term upgrade on all of our other defenders apart from Martinez. if we can get him for a sensible price and wages it’s a deal with upside. Given we are the only team in for him I expect us to get him for about 50 plus achievable add-ons. A Ben White /John Stones kind of deal. A Fergie deal. Saying that I think Fergie would have signed Mount too 100%. It’s been hard to defend that deal this year but I’m still convinced he’ll be class for us.

If Branthwaite isn’t good enough we will always be able to get 20-30 million off a mid table club for him down the road. A sensible transfer despite the hysteria on here

Last edited:
Fair point but he seems to have played RCB for PSV (appreciate if Eredivisie watchers can confirm)

e.g., https://fbref.com/en/matches/bef7e214/PSV-Eindhoven-Volendam-August-31-2022-Eredivisie

Maybe he's one of those freak two footed players that this doesn't apply to. Looked at the stats in eredivisie and the passing doesn't look half as bad either. https://fbref.com/en/players/c1949191/scout/11629/Jarrad-Branthwaite-Scouting-Report

Ok I'm giving up on Olise and camping in this thread now.

People regularly confuse not doing something and not being able to do something.

Branthwaite is the kind of signing reminiscent of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire- expensive acquisitions for players who don’t justify the hefty price tag. INEOS should consider exploring other options rather than pursuing Branthwaite.

Confident he's good enough but price is big

I would be shocked if we spend more than 50mil on any player this summer.

And at that cost, Branthwaite would be playing RCB, because we're not paying that much for a backup to Martinez.
Maybe a back 3?

Yoro Branthwaite Martinez
Mainoo----------Neves
Dalot------------Bruno-----------Shaw
Hoijlund -------Garnacho​

Maybe a back 3?

Yoro Branthwaite Martinez
Mainoo----------Neves
Dalot------------Bruno-----------Shaw
Hoijlund -------Garnacho​

Never going to happen not in a million years, you can quote e on this one.

I don't mind us signing him but the reported fee at present is mind-boggling.

It won't be 70 million. It'll be 35 plus 5-10 in add ons or it won't happen at all.

Everton desperate for money right now and its early in the window so they're naturally going to set a high price