Jasper Cillessen | Barcelona player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventura

Didn't see this one coming, but on the other hand they can't keep having two first-choice goalkeepers like they have had for a while. One will have to be happy to be on the bench.

VanGaalEra

Barca have made some weird purchases in the last 2/3 seasons.

Similar to us from 09-11.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
For such a great club Barca do make some questionable signings.
Keeper historically has been a problem area in the transfer market but this coaching staff has done well early on, we'll see. Of course, I'd feel just as let down say if they had chosen Romero, for example - but at the end of the day, we're talking a rotating keeper.

Still, would've liked Alves

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
Cillessen is one of the few goalkeepers who is

1) Okay sitting on the bench.
2) Someone who is very good with his feet.

The reason Guardiola buys Claudio Bravo is because he needs a goalkeeper comfortable with being the 11th footballer.

But yeah, glad we didn't buy him. If Koeman and Stekelenburg had been reunited earlier, Cillessen would never have displaced him from goal for the Dutch national team.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Good back up keeper. Worst case scenario is that Masip steps up and takes his place.

We can't keep 2 top keepers for so long.

Laphroaig

^51 English players have played for Barca?!
I had no idea about this part of their history. According to Wiki they were "founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English and Catalan footballers led by Joan Gamper". They had some English presidents in the beginning, as well as loads of English payers. An example: In 1903-04 they had six Englishmen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1903–04_FC_Barcelona_season). In 01-02 they had three Morrises. Brothers?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I had no idea about this part of their history. According to Wiki they were "founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English and Catalan footballers led by Joan Gamper". They had some English presidents in the beginning, as well as loads of English payers. An example: In 1903-04 they had six Englishmen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1903–04_FC_Barcelona_season).
D'oh. I actually knew that. I'm still shocked it's as high as 51 though, thanks.

Laphroaig

D'oh. I actually knew that. I'm still shocked it's as high as 51 though, thanks.
Yeah, seems to me that they had 10-20 their first ten years (well, Wiki is probably not complete). Jump to the late 20s and they have none. It's hard to believe they had some 30 English players between 1910 and 1930.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Midfield

Red
Sell Bravo, sign Jasper. Don't think is a good deal.

I don't expect him to become Barca's main goalkeeper, and not quite sure about Ter Stegen.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Why Barcelona ever bought Afellay.. no one will ever know.
Nah, he was a great & cheap purchase - his Clasico heroics are hard to forget. He got unlucky with injuries but was an excellent player for Barcelona, really bonded with his teammates too

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Sell Bravo, sign Jasper. Don't think is a good deal.

I don't expect him to become Barca's main goalkeeper, and not quite sure about Ter Stegen.
Never expected to be Barcelona's main keeper anymore than Bravo was. Mats was purchased to be the club's keeper for the next decade, a veteran keeper to rotate was the approach the coaching staff preferred since Unzué was a keeper himself & hand picked both Bravo & Cillessen. The Dutchman wasn't my favorite choice anymore than Bravo was at the time but you trust the coaches know what they are doing.

So far, so good

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why Barcelona ever bought Afellay.. no one will ever know.
Affelay and Aissatti were the two bright things in Dutch football at the time when they were coming up. For a club with traditions with Dutch talent, made sense at the time.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
To be fair, Afellay started out reasonably well. Worked hard, respected the hierarchy, had a nice assist to Messi against Real Madrid. But then came the injuries and since then he's been struggling.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Affelay and Aissatti were the two bright things in Dutch football at the time when they were coming up. For a club with traditions with Dutch talent, made sense at the time.
They were bright lights in a rather dim era though. They were never going to be the new Arjen Robben or Wesley Sneijder and though he started out ok and had bad luck with the terrible injury he would never have been Barcelona first team quality. Them being the bright lights basicly ushered in the weaker era the Dutch national team is in now. Sure we had the freak accident that was the 2014 world cup, but after Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie, Van der Vaart, we haven't had the next generation step up.

People like Afellay, Elia, Maduro, Drenthe and some others were all promising, but ultimately didn't deliver. The most alarming thing being that it wasnt through a lack of talent, but rather mentality.

Culero

Do people here really think Cillessen is bought as a Bravo replacement for rotation? This just means Mats is a official starter and Jasper second choice clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.