Jean-Clair Todibo

L1nk

In my opinion, a better option than Disasi now that KMJ is out of the picture...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Always really liked him, disappointed what happened at Barcelona but he has talent for sure.

Red_toad

He's had a good season and is ready to step up to a higher level. Very good defender and would be very good cover and eventual replacement for Varane.

Varun1

Isn't he the one who had a serious injury? Or am I getting mixed up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of those players who I have always heard about but never actually seen. I know his Barcelona move didn't work out, but that can happen to young players. How good is he?

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
Todibo is better than Disasi (has better technique). And also is younger.

luke511

I’ve seen him make a few mistakes in the select amount I’ve watched of him, not a fan personally.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It seems like Todibo will be pursued if we can get someone to take Maguire. And I'm of the opinion that someone will end up signing Maguire at some point this month.

Todibo at 23 years old would potentially be a very good signing imo. He's good on the ball and his out of possession game defending the channel in 1v1s is elite from what I've seen. My preference is Ousmane Diomande from SCP, but he's a option for next season.

I think if we end the transfer with both Amrabat and Todibo, it would represent a very productive window with the aforementioned players having the attributes to raise the technical and physical levels of the team.

I think with the way the game is going, where more and more teams are playing a more proactive brand of football, defending high up the pitch via higher defensive lines. It's very important we look to exert more control in possession and also have players in rest defense who can defend against opposition transitions in 1v1 scenarios.

Last edited:

Devil You Know

For anyone that's interested..

It's inevitable that Varane is going to cover wide areas. That's exactly what his role is going to be in EtH's formation this season.

Just re-watch some of the Lens game to see what I mean. There were 3 or 4 occasions when Dalot inverted into CM just before Lens countered down our right side. The resulting positioning was for Varane to end up at RB and Dalot to end up at CB. It looked a bit weird to seem them effectively swap places, but I don't think it was an accident.

I think it's a tactical choice that EtH has trained them to do. And it makes sense because at that point in the play, it would take longer for Dalot to get to RB that it would for Varane to do the same.

Whatever the case, expect to see Varane at RB and Martinez at LB a lot more than usual this season. Our high line with Onana in net will mean we're likely to be countered on more than ever.

avgp_1

Todibo would be a brilliant signing tbh. He was terrific in 2021-22, last season I didnt catch much of their games but the ones I did, he was still quality.
Will comfortably cover the right side of the defence. Young, athletic and brilliant 1v1.

jeepers

I’ve always known about him because of football manager but I’ve never actually watched him play. How come he didn’t make it at Barca? Was he not given enough chances or did they have better options then? Was Lenglet considered a better talent than him?

Trex

Maguire aint leaving yall.

The sooner we realise this the better.

It is the hope that kills you.
When will the penny drop for Sir Harry. I think he needs to be told he's not part of the plans.

NoPace

It's inevitable that Varane is going to cover wide areas. That's exactly what his role is going to be in EtH's formation this season.

Just re-watch some of the Lens game to see what I mean. There were 3 or 4 occasions when Dalot inverted into CM just before Lens countered down our right side. The resulting positioning was for Varane to end up at RB and Dalot to end up at CB. It looked a bit weird to seem them effectively swap places, but I don't think it was an accident.

I think it's a tactical choice that EtH has trained them to do. And it makes sense because at that point in the play, it would take longer for Dalot to get to RB that it would for Varane to do the same.

Whatever the case, expect to see Varane at RB and Martinez at LB a lot more than usual this season. Our high line with Onana in net will mean we're likely to be countered on more than ever.
I don't disagree with any of this, but long-term I could see the WM being the plan. Sign a RB who likes to play inside to help an aging Casemiro in that part of the pitch, a faster RCB who can cover wide (let's say Todibo though I haven't seen him play more than once and I wasn't watching him closely) and as Shaw ages, play like this.

LW-----------CF------------Antony
-----Mount----Bruno------
-----Casemiro--RB
Shaw-Lisandro-Todibo
--------------Onana----------------

Didn't list forwards because who the hell knows if Hojlund or Garnacho will be starting next to Rashford (or if it'll be the first two and Rashford will get injured or turn back into the player he was before last year).

-Supreme-

When will the penny drop for Sir Harry. I think he needs to be told he's not part of the plans.
Let’s hope he will get the message where he won’t even make the bench for the first game of the season.

CM

I'd be quite excited by this one if we could get it done. I haven't seen a huge amount of Todibo but I've been impressed with what I have seen, he looks like a very capable understudy to Varane and a significant upgrade on Maguire. It would be good long-term squad planning if we could get him in.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I am sure he wants to play in the European Championship next summer. He knows that if he is 5th choice at United the chance of getting selected is in jeopardy.

crossy1686

career ending

Still think there’s a chance someone panics at the end of the window and he sees the chance to get out and revive his career. They’ll be a bunch of players who are waiting to make a decision on their careers depending on who the manager picks in the opening few games.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I’ve always known about him because of football manager but I’ve never actually watched him play. How come he didn’t make it at Barca? Was he not given enough chances or did they have better options then? Was Lenglet considered a better talent than him?
He wasn't given many chances. I think they signed a bunch of young CBs at the time in the hope one would come good. Todibo being so young only had one season of experience so got pushed out on loan to several clubs. Then when he returned after a few stints they had established Araujo already, so decided to cash in.

I think they signed him without really knowing what to do with him. I'm not sure if there was more to it, I didn't follow his loans at Schalke/Benfica. Perhaps he was underwhelming there.

AlexUTD

Yes agreed. Cause him rarely playing last season does not seem to deter him at all.

I am sure he wants to play in the European Championship next summer. He knows that if he is 5th choice at United the chance of getting selected is in jeopardy.
You would think that he would push more for the move then.

Still think there’s a chance someone panics at the end of the window and he sees the chance to get out and revive his career. They’ll be a bunch of players who are waiting to make a decision on their careers depending on who the manager picks in the opening few games.
We can only hope but then maybe too late to get replacement?

RedStarUnited

Not when Southgate keeps picking him as a starter. He is part of the England setup until some next young CB playing in England with hype comes along.

Redstain

I remember seeing him for Barcelona previously was very promising. Think it makes sense to target a younger defender and one who can come behind Varane who will likely sustain injury/ need rest in-between a congested fixture list.

To shift Maguire it depends on how desperate the club is as they might have to lower the valuation slightly to get a move. The notion of only signing a player when one is sold is not good in the market because it doesn't stop another team swopping in as witnessed with Diassi.

Chairman Steve

This would be a great Maguire replacement, so I can’t wait for us to keep Maguire and Chelsea signing him as their much needed 8th centre back.

Remember the geese

It's odd that we don't pursue a naturally left footed centre back and just move Lindelof to the right. He is right footed after all.

crossy1686

career ending
Yes agreed. Cause him rarely playing last season does not seem to deter him at all.

You would think that he would push more for the move then.

We can only hope but then maybe too late to get replacement?
I would hope we’ve already spoken to targets and other clubs about making signings if we need to late in the window. I doubt any club is going to turn down the daft money we offer late in the window.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's odd that we don't pursue a naturally left footed centre back and just move Lindelof to the right. He is right footed after all.
I think this is still possible and maybe why we are linked to Branthwaite after his loan at PSV.

JuriM

Lindelöf is equal footed, his left isn't that much worse than right foot and play on both sides. Also Shaw can play there.

CM

Martinez will be playing a lot more games than Varane, and ten Hag also seems pretty keen on Shaw as the LCB in the event Martinez can't play.

croadyman

Martinez will be playing a lot more games than Varane, and ten Hag also seems pretty keen on Shaw as the LCB in the event Martinez can't play.
Yeah that might explain why the links to a RCB are stronger than for a LCB