Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

daba

Hopefully sign Timber or Pavard who can be a CB and RB option.

Not sure how reliable the source is, but I still see us moving AWB on whilst his stock his high, which would mean we’d have sign someone to cover at RB.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Do you think this is definitely off the tables now?

Seemed to have a sense of certainty not even that long ago, though it of course never was.

I really like AWB, and Dalot's extension does give away a hint at them being content with the current RB situation, but Frimpong does seem ready to grow into a player that would give you an "extra man" energy in possession through the way he is able to join midfield, dribble and also acts as a winger depending on the situation. Kind of like a faster Shaw, though less of a playmaker- and more of a final product.

Then again, I do understand there are probably higher priorities than having 5 fullbacks right now. Though I do think it would be a way to solve the Martinez problem, if "the right" CB isn't available/finalized this window. Shaw would cover LCB, while Dalot is a third option - or second in the ShawCB scenario - at LB, with AWB and Frimpong ready on the other side, plus even having Frimpong as a make-do RW should the necessity arise (as it has, and injuries will almost always appear in unfortunate balances within the squad - meaning two options per position doesn't equal safety in numbers).

But this silence is so loud, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Donut

Do you think this is definitely off the tables now?

Seemed to have a sense of certainty not even that long ago, though it of course never was.

I really like AWB, and Dalot's extension does give away a hint at them being content with the current RB situation, but Frimpong does seem ready to grow into a player that would give you an "extra man" energy in possession through the way he is able to join midfield, dribble and also acts as a winger depending on the situation. Kind of like a faster Shaw, though less of a playmaker- and more of a final product.

Then again, I do understand there are probably higher priorities than having 5 fullbacks right now. Though I do think it would be a way to solve the Martinez problem, if "the right" CB isn't available/finalized this window. Shaw would cover LCB, while Dalot is a third option - or second in the ShawCB scenario - at LB, with AWB and Frimpong ready on the other side, plus even having Frimpong as a make-do RW should the necessity arise (as it has, and injuries will almost always appear in unfortunate balances within the squad - meaning two options per position doesn't equal safety in numbers).

But this silence is so loud, unfortunately.
I think it makes sense to wait another year and see how him, as well as AWB and Dalot progress. If we want to progress as a club none of them are good enough right now, but I think there’s as much of a chance of AWB or Dalot progressing to the required level as there is of Frimpong.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The news of right backs has all dried up. I suspect the stories of sticking with what we have for the next season are true

Bondi77

Looking at the options we have at RB and their age and the improvement Erik has extracted from them in one season he will be licking his lips at what more he can get from them in the future.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think we can wait until the January transfer market for a new RB, it doesn’t need to be done right this summer.

Either AWB continues progressing as an defensive RB - which means Dalot gets replaced as an attacking RB that hasn’t improved for someone like Frimpong -

or Dalot progresses as an attacking RB and AWB gets replaced for a hybrid RB/RCB like timber.

croadyman

I think we can wait until the January transfer market for a new RB, it doesn’t need to be done right this summer.

Either AWB continues progressing as an defensive RB - which means Dalot gets replaced as an attacking RB that hasn’t improved for someone like Frimpong -

or Dalot progresses as an attacking RB and AWB gets replaced for a hybrid RB/RCB like timber.
Yeah obviously it would improve our threat down that side,however we can look it again when priority positions are addressed

Bebestation

Yeah obviously it would improve our threat down that side,however we can look it again when priority positions are addressed
I think one of the main reasons we might be halting it is because our RW as an attack is likely to improve next season - we will have Antony, Amad & even possibly the return of the unameable player, all able to play as a RW that arguably offer different specifics & abilities.

This may improve Dalot’s & AWB’s game differently.

croadyman

I think one of the main reasons we might be halting it is because our RW as an attack is likely to improve next season - we will have Antony, Amad & even possibly the return of the unameable player, all able to play as a RW that arguably offer different specifics & abilities.

This may improve Dalot’s & AWB’s game differently.
Still awaiting to hear from the Utd big guns about where they see the unameable playing

Bondi77

It would be great to have a RW option than can create and score goals without relying on a RB to make them an attacking threat and I think we all know what that option is.

Dominos

I'm sure Ten Hag would probably like him, there just is higher priorities to fix this summer.
To be fair, right back is one position where we actually have sellable assets to fund a replacement.

How much would we get for one of AWB/Dalot if we sold, and how much is their replacement? If we can only spend £10m net on a right back, it's not massively eating into our summer budget. Likewise if we can get a decent fee for Maguire and sign a replacement.

Very unlikely we sign a RB now though with Dalot's new contract and AWB ending the season as first choice.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Made the BuLi team of the season. Bayern, utd and Real apparently have shown interest.

Ronald Koeman deems him not good enpugh to even male the Oranje squad and reprimands him for declining the inventation to play with the under 21 team, because he shouldnt think he has transcended that level.

Can someone please sack the fat cnut.

Don't Kill Bill

Made the BuLi team of the season. Bayern, utd and Real apparently have shown interest.

Ronald Koeman deems him not good enpugh to even male the Oranje squad and reprimands him for declining the inventation to play with the under 21 team, because he shouldnt think he has transcended that level.

Can someone please sack the fat cnut.
Who were the rest of the BuLi team, just out of interest?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No idea. I think De Ligt made it in as well. Ask @do.ob
You mean this abomination?

It's a pretty worthless fan vote I think. The biggest mystery is how Diaby made it in there. Some Leverkusen fans must have been botting the vote :lol:

Schlotterbeck shouldn't be there either, I wouldn't say he's even been the best CB in his team.

Last edited:

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

It's a pretty worthless fan vote I think. The biggest mystery is how Diaby made it in there. Some Leverkusen fans must have been botting the vote :lol:

Schlotterbeck shouldn't be there either, I wouldn't say he's even been the best CB in his team.
I wouldnt call it a mystery since he collected 18 Scorers and the only players in his position with a bigger output were Hofmann, Grifo (who takes Freiburgs penalties), who are both in the team as well, Gnabry who has been terrible for long strechtes of the season, and Thuram.
Your bias against Leverkusen is unreal at this point, what have we ever done to you?

Redstain

I'd have hoped United would have sealed the deal for him. The lack of directness from the wide players aside Rashford is a concern going into next season. With Frimpong aiding the attack, it stretches the opposition creating more space for chance creation opportunities. The Dalot contract extension represents a bit of a false dawn because he was excellent before the world cup and was absent in performances after the tournament.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wouldnt call it a mystery since he collected 18 Scorers and the only players in his position with a bigger output were Hofmann, Grifo (who takes Freiburgs penalties), who are both in the team as well, Gnabry who has been terrible for long strechtes of the season, and Thuram.
Your bias against Leverkusen is unreal at this point, what have we ever done to you?
I suppose rating Nkunku higher than Diaby must be a sign of my bias.

Don't Kill Bill

Thanks for posting.

I just wondered if there were any I hadn't heard of.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I suppose rating Nkunku higher than Diaby must be a sign of my bias.
Thats not wrong but its sooo telling that of course you pick the Leverkusen player out when you couldve chosen a few other players in there that performed similarly to Diaby. Making it sound like its ridiculous hes in there while everyone else is in without any doubts is so far from reality its laughable.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thats not wrong but its sooo telling that of course you pick the Leverkusen player out when you couldve chosen a few other players in there that performed similarly to Diaby. Making it sound like its ridiculous hes in there while everyone else is in without any doubts is so far from reality its laughable.
I also picked out Schlotterbeck, I guess that proves my bias against Dortmund!?

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I also picked out Schlotterbeck, I guess that proves my bias against Dortmund!?
Didnt call him "the biggest mystery" though as if it is absurd to have a player who almost has double digits in goals and assists in the team.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
There is such a thing as a bias against Leverkusen of all teams? :lol:

GS82

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal in for him apparently.

Anustart89

OMG why does Arteta only target players connected to the Dutch league or who are Dutch????

Are your fans saying the same or is that only our fans that are that stupid?

Shinjch

He doesn't make sense for the way Arsenal play at all. I imagine the links with him and Arsenal are there to try and speed Ajax up on Timber.

Chairman Steve

Plettenberg doesn’t think there’s anything much in the Arsenal links, and it’s still United who are the ones closely linked at the moment

I was certain Frimpong was going to be the first signing out the gate two months ago. It seems after the trio of Mount, Onana and Hojlund (probably the most integral signings), that we have to sell to buy. I‘d rank another centre mid as a priority and it seems that us selling Fred and/or McTominay will fund that. I can’t see us shifting Maguire unfortunately. Selling Deano will fund Suzuki probably and maybe help towards funding Frimpong if we get a good offer on AWB? (can see Dalot being kept by ETH)

Or as Plettenberg mentioned, we get new owners soon which who the feck knows when that will actually happen.

Bebestation

I do wonder if gung ho wingbacks are a bit old school these days - i hear more inverted ones that play in midfield. Apart from Liverpool, TAA (who later got destroyed) & robertson - who has been the top quality/successful ones?

Nickosaur

Don't see it happening or being a priority unless the sale goes through.

I rate Frimpong but with AWB and Dalot it doesn't feel as necessary a signing as GK, ST, CB and DM cover. I'd be happy if we got him though.

aeh1991

There's a good chance he stays for another year with Alonso, so we could get him next summer when other priorities are solved.

Erik the Red

Get rid of AWB, he's shit.
AWB is a great one on one defender, but he isn't great going forward, and if we are trying to be press resistant, having Onana to play as a sweeper keeper, you want all the defenders to be able to play that way. I think AWB will struggle in this regard, and based off his strong performances at the end of last season, he should be sold while his stock is high and Frimpong brought in. A double deal with Leverkusen including Diaby would be amazing. I would offer Amad or Pellistri in exchange (unless Amad is already Atalanta bound).

Status
Not open for further replies.