Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I also said, because it's so subjective - if Corbyn is a great leader to you then more power to you.
You did, which I ignored, as it's not an opinion I've stated.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Should have suspected that alternative politics would feature homeopathy and auras :/.

Although I suspect Corbyn's opponents in the leadership election were already trying their own brand of political homeopathy by watering down any identity they had to the point that it was practically imperceptible to anyone but the true believers.
Unfortunately Corbyn's going to do the same with Labour's seat count next time round.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is there a possibility this guy may actually get control of the UK economy one day ?
I'd have thought he was pretty unelectable as PM unless the UK takes a big leap to the left. Plus even then people still might think he just isn't PM material?

He seems like someone who is bound to have limited popularity, which is a big problem in a popularity contest.

DOTA

I also didn't say it was your opinion.
Okay.

If you think Katy Perry's contribution to turnip farming in North Yorkshire is criminally underrated, then more power to you.

Smores

Okay.

If you think Katy Perry's contribution to turnip farming in North Yorkshire is criminally underrated, then more power to you.
:lol: brilliant.

I do get his point now though, Corbyn is more Obi Wan than Han Solo, more Jesus than Thor, more Mr Miyagi than Chuck Norris, more Woody Allen than Tim Allen

Personally I don't understand those who claim he lacks charisma as his following clearly demonstrates otherwise. PMQ will certainly reveal all anyway.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
:lol: brilliant.

I do get his point now though, Corbyn is more Obi Wan than Han Solo, more Jesus than Thor, more Mr Miyagi than Chuck Norris, more Woody Allen than Tim Allen

Personally I don't understand those who claim he lacks charisma as his following clearly demonstrates otherwise. PMQ will certainly reveal all anyway.
Obi Wan was pretty charismatic in his own way.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Okay.

You could say any ridiculous statement, my point still stands that in my opinion he's not a great leader, because it's my opinion. I'm not presenting it as a fact.

DOTA

You could say any ridiculous statement, my point still stands that in my opinion he's not a great leader, because it's my opinion. I'm not presenting it as a fact.
I know. It was only the aura bit I had any interest in, though.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
The problem is that a politician needs to appeal to "many people" in order to get elected. You can't change the electorate and a general election is, literally, a popularity contest. This means the ideal opposition leader should have both style and substance.
Corbyn has style and character, it's just not the style and character that people are used to. People are used to charming, forceful, self serving egotists rising to powerful positions because they are "strong leaders". People have been moaning about typical politicians for as long as I can remember - Corbyn is an actual human being. Let's see if people will wise up and see past the media's smear tactics. I have some faith, and if not then feck it people deserve the Tories.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/the-suns-front-page-about-jeremy-corbyn-is-wrong-says-its-ow

The Sun’s Front Page About Jeremy Corbyn Is Wrong, Says Its Own Source

The Sun launched a fresh attack on Jeremy Corbyn on Tuesday, dubbing him a “hypocrite” who had only accepted a place on the Privy Council so Labour would keep receiving £6.2 million a year of public funds.

The Sun

The front page, the first produced by the paper’s new editor, Tony Gallagher, portrays Corbyn as a court jester and says he took a “humiliating personal climbdown … so he can get his hands on £6.2m of state cash”.

One constitutional expert, Richard Gordon QC, is quoted in the article:

A refusal would have triggered a constitutional crisis and jeopardised £6.2m of annual funding, it is claimed.

Expert lawyer Richard Gordon QC said “rejection of PC membership by Jeremy Corbyn could raise issues relating to the status of the official opposition”.

However, when contacted by BuzzFeed News, Gordon distanced himself from the story and said his quote had nothing to do with Short money, the term for the public funding opposition parties receive.

“My reasoning that refusal of a place [on the Privy Council] could (the word I allowed to be cited) raise constitutional issues was not related to Short money,” he wrote in an email (emphasis his). “It was based on the constitutional relationship between the monarchy and main political party as the official opposition.”

Instead, the issues Gordon said could be raised by a refusal to join the council related to the constitutional relationship between the opposition and the crown.

“However, I have little doubt that in the longer term and in practice that relationship could be changed,” he continued, “which was why in the phrase I allowed to be quoted I suggested that the issues if they arose would be ‘short-term’.”

In practice, such issues will not arise as Corbyn yesterday accepted a place on the council. He is believed to have done so to more easily receive briefings on security issues.

No other experts are quoted in The Sun’s story to support its front-page claim.

Jeremy Corbyn outside Labour HQ yesterday. Justin Tallis / AFP / Getty Images

In reality, Short money, named after the MP who introduced it, is not dependent on a party leader having a place on the Privy Council.

It is received by all parties who are not currently in government, but who have accepted their seats in parliament. For this reason, Sinn Féin does not receive the funding, as its MPs will not say the oath of allegiance to the Queen required to take up their seats – though the party receives other public funding.

As Corbyn first took up his parliamentary seat in 1983, he first said this oath of allegiance 32 years ago.

The money is used to fund research support for frontbench staff, and to support party whip offices, used to maintain party discipline.

The funding is based on a formula relating to the number of seats won by each opposition party, and the number of votes each received, with some additional funding for the leader of the opposition.

In a statement on Tuesday lunchtime, The Sun stood by its story.

“Our story asserted that there would have been a constitutional crisis in the event that Jeremy Corbyn had refused to be a member of the Privy Council. This was confirmed by a QC, who we quoted accurately,” said a spokesperson.

“If he had refused to be a Privy Councillor, Corbyn would have been unable to be a fully serving Leader of Her Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition. There would have been a huge debate about his ability to carry out the job, and the funding allocated to both his Office and his Party would have been legitimately brought into question.

“The story stands.”

You'd think that with all his barmy views and policies that they wouldn't have to resort to bending the truth so much eh?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Seems Corbyn has gotten a bit of flak from certain media outlets for not singing the national anthem at this Battle of Britain memorial: a perfectly acceptable decision since he's a republican. Of course, had he gone ahead and sang the anthem, he'd have no doubt been criticised for selling out or not really meaning it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
These clowns and their stories are going to drive many people into supporting him.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Seems Corbyn has gotten a bit of flak from certain media outlets for not singing the national anthem at this Battle of Britain memorial: a perfectly acceptable decision since he's a republican. Of course, had he gone ahead and sang the anthem, he'd have no doubt been criticised for selling out or not really meaning it.
It really is bottom of the barrel stuff. Yesterday the discussion was about what colour of poppy he would wear.

jeff_goldblum

These lefties trying to force allotments on us. Glad the BBC has revealed the dark truth about Corbyn's passion for people having the option to grow their own veg.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think it's fractionally more likely than that. Simply because he is at least already leader of the opposition, and the Tories are surely more hated than the Democrats.

But neither are going to happen.
Still many years off being leader at election time and although still FPTP there are more parties to vote fore here rather than just republicans or Democrats

Hopefully 10/1 is a realistic chance of either and 100/1 a fair assessment of both happening

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'm biased, but other than that Minister for Jews thing (which never actually happened), what has Corbyn done wrong so far?

Last edited:

Dion

So many people are insisting it's going to be the end of Labour it's almost inevitable he's going to win the next election by a landslide.

stepic

His rather rambling speech to the TUC today, during which he forgot whole sections that had been pre-briefed to the media?

People can listen to it in full here :: https://audioboom.com/boos/3575961-jeremy-corbyn-s-full-address-to-the-tuc
Who the hell cares?

And jesus, people preferring slick, media savvy, 'dominant male' typecasts over someone who actually believes what he says. Says it all. I mean I get the point if you think he needs to inauthentic to be electable, like all other fecking politicians, but even that point still is indicative of modern politics. God I hate the media.

Ubik

I'm biased, but other than that Minister for Jews thing (which never actually happened), what has Corbyn done wrong so far?
McDonnell.

Apparently all the papers are going with the not singing the national anthem pic tomorrow, which is a genuinely ridiculous thing to get worked up about. It's a shit anthem, should be changed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
McDonnell.

Apparently all the papers are going with the not singing the national anthem pic tomorrow, which is a genuinely ridiculous thing to get worked up about. It's a shit anthem, should be changed.
:( I like the tune.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The Sunday Mirror columnist on Sky's paper review was very scathing of him just few moments ago. She accused him of standing there like a "sulky teenager", drawing attention to himself when the occasion called for better.

Who the hell cares?

And jesus, people preferring slick, media savvy, 'dominant male' typecasts over someone who actually believes what he says. Says it all. I mean I get the point if you think he needs to inauthentic to be electable, like all other fecking politicians, but even that point still is indicative of modern politics. God I hate the media.
What has it do with the media if Corbyn's speech was poorly written and came across in a disjointed manner? Whether you like it or not, the competent delivery of one's message is important.

stepic

He's been in the job 2 days. The media's hounding over every little thing would be frustrating if it wasn't so predictable. The not singing bit is case in point. the woman on newsnight basically saying he should not be authentic to win. Maybe the public is sick of this false politics, but then again judging by some people in this thread perhaps not.

Ubik

:( I like the tune.
You need to pull yourself together.
The Sunday Mirror columnist on Sky's paper review was very scathing of him just few moments ago. She accused him of standing there like a "sulky teenager", drawing attention to himself when the occasion called for better.
I'm as critical of Corbyn as anyone, but I very much doubt he looks for attention at all in that way. I'd say it's more the opposite and he's unprepared for there to be cameras and journos at absolutely everything you go to, analysing the tiniest thing. Granted, if he carries on with it then it might start getting a bit awkward, given that if you want to be PM you need to have a working relationship with the Queen/monarch and there is (alas) no republican sentiment in the country at all, but it's just not a big deal at this stage. Still, it's PMQs tomorrow so it'll be quickly forgotten. My prediction for which is that Cameron will go straight in with the "hands up if you want the honourable member from Islington North to be the next Prime Minister".