g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jesse Lingard Players' Tribune piece

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm not sure how you can have such a mean-spirited take away from reading that. Your lack of empathy astounds me.
How is it mean-spirited? It's a comment on how much of a bubble Jesse Lingard's life has been and it was tongue-in-cheek. Compare it to the life of Antonio Valencia who left his 7 person family (where he slept in a tiny house and played football barefoot) at age 16 to earn $50 a month. When Lingard was born Berbatov was standing in line to get bread so his family could eat.

I think you're severely underestimating how much family mean to some people, and how hard it can be when your world is turned upside down. Just because his circumstances are different than a regular blue collar worker, doesn't mean he's not entitled to have feelings. Having meals delivered to your room is quite different from dinner with your family.

I lived out of hotels for a month last year when I traveled Asia, sourcing manufacturing plants for my company, and I hated how alone I felt after a couple weeks being away from my family, even though they were only a phonecall away at all times.

His entire story is told from his point of view at the time it happened. Just because you are jealous that he has o pportunities you never had, doesn't mean you have to be mean about it. To someone who lives in the slums of India, your life story would be obscene bragging, simply because you can eat properly every day. The context of someones situation matters.

About the article: I always love when players give us a proper glimpse into their actual lives outside of the matches and social media. It's obvious he appreciates his family a great deal, and it shows throughout the article. He comes across as someone that knows how fortunate he is, and is more than willing to show the audience who he is grateful to.

Players citing Sir Alex as an inspiration is always nice to see. For all the hairdryers and football shoes being kicked at Beckham, there is real respect and admiration for the man among a lot of his former players. To this day you still see Ronaldo go out of his way to greet Sir Alex whenever he can. That was 9 1/2 years ago.
You were traveling Asia, not staying in the same place 2 hours away from your family in a 4-star hotel.

Why are you saying that I'm jealous? I don't have Lingard's drive, determination or talent to succeed at that level. The same kind of opportunity wouldn't have meant a thing. Context absolutely matters like I mentioned with some of his team mates. No one is sitting, listening at that an thinking "wow, poor boy. Must have been hard". I don't like to reiteriate myself, I've already answered seriously to other responses to this jokey comment.

Brightonian

That's what it's all about. Love it. Sure he writes like a 14-year-old but he's a footballer not Wordsworth.

imamuppet

I love these kind of stories that come from the heart.

That give insight to lives we cannot live, to hear stories that we can only empathize with.

Don’t fully understood the hate Lingard gets from some peeps here, must be something to do with envy, though it is such a shame they can’t put their own negative feelings aside and just 'put themselves into Lingard shoes just for a few moments.

Yes, he lives a privileged life, but as other peeps have commented, it’s all relative.

And those commenting on his writing style while mocking him for being 'teenage' like, get over it!

It is WHO he is, just as everyone one of is who we are.

I’d much rather 'you peeps' kept your negative thoughts to yourselves and instead do some self-reflection to see why you can’t see the positives from a story but instead choose to focus on aspects of the life that Lingard lives that seem to amplify the unhappiness in all of you that you bring to threads such as this.

Oh and as other have rightly said, that Roma picture, speaks a thousand words of the character of the 'lad'.

Hes one of our own and we should ALL be proud of what he has achieved.

:)

Kostov

For those who know his story better, was he completely raised by his grandad and grandma? What about his mother and father?

beedoubleyou

How is it mean-spirited? It's a comment on how much of a bubble Jesse Lingard's life has been and it was tongue-in-cheek. Compare it to the life of Antonio Valencia who left his 7 person family (where he slept in a tiny house and played football barefoot) at age 16 to earn $50 a month. When Lingard was born Berbatov was standing in line to get bread so his family could eat.

You were traveling Asia, not staying in the same place 2 hours away from your family in a 4-star hotel.

Why are you saying that I'm jealous? I don't have Lingard's drive, determination or talent to succeed at that level. The same kind of opportunity wouldn't have meant a thing. Context absolutely matters like I mentioned with some of his team mates. No one is sitting, listening at that an thinking "wow, poor boy. Must have been hard". I don't like to reiteriate myself, I've already answered seriously to other responses to this jokey comment.
I think I answered your point in my following comment. Again, when you compare Valencia's life to someone else's he'd be in relative luxury.

It's a silly argument.

You may not have intended it, but you came across as just bitter towards a young person and youth culture.

I could be wrong, perhaps your post wasn't quite as articulate as Jessie's article.

Red_Aaron

There's a picture of this kid barely old enough to walk and yet he's fully kitted up in our strip kicking a ball around, fast forward 20 odd years and he now regularly plays for the first team and is an established international

Everyone associated with the club should be immensely proud of Jesse and he and his family are an example to all those with the same dream

Born and bRed this guy, love him to bits