Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

I agree that Pereira will be definitely gone (if there's a club with a reasonable offer), but Lingard is staying. He likes his paycheck, he likes being at United and above all that good run of form he had last season has made him delusional and he thinks he'll be able to displace Bruno.
The only reason worth keeping him is so he can cover for Rashford, while Marcus is recovering from the surgery.

If he is so adamant that he wants to stay - we should offer him a contract with a big wage cut. Let's see if it's love for the club or love for the money.
Did he tell you this himself? The things people make up and present as gospel truth is extraordinary. Sign of the times!

Pavl3n

Did he tell you this himself? The things people make up and present as gospel truth is extraordinary. Sign of the times!
Didn't he say he wants to stay and fight for his spot? He did.

Isn't he playing in the same spot/position with Bruno? He is.

He didn't tell it myself. He told it Ole and it was widely reported.

United in sin

Didn't he say he wants to stay and fight for his spot? He did.

Isn't he playing in the same spot/position with Bruno? He is.

He didn't tell it myself. He told it Ole and it was widely reported.
Player wants to stay and fight for a spot at the club he's played at since he was a kid shocker! I'm sure Lingard will be under no illusions about his chances of usurping Bruno. However Bruno cannot and will not play every game, and Lingard can play more than one position you know. His statement has nothing to do with Bruno in isolation but you will read into it what you will

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
If Lingard sticking around, which for his sake and ours I don't believe he should, costs us signing Camavinga I'd weep a little. I really feel like we thought he'd be sold and that money was key to a midfield signing.

stevoc

Player wants to stay and fight for a spot at the club he's played at since he was a kid shocker! I'm sure Lingard will be under no illusions about his chances of usurping Bruno. However Bruno cannot and will not play every game, and Lingard can play more than one position you know. His statement has nothing to do with Bruno in isolation but you will read into it what you will
Right now he's arguably not even 2nd choice in any position across the front 4 though.

-----------------------------Bruno/Pogba/Mata/VDB
Sancho/Greenwood/Diallo---------------Rahford/Martial/James
----------------------------Cavani/Greenwood/Martial

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd be astounded if nobody made a serious move for him. He was the best player in the league for a 6 week spell and showed he still has quality.

My bet is he'll be sold. There are a lot of PL teams that can use a good attacking player for £25m and I think a couple are sitting back with the expectation of getting a better price, which will probably work.

United in sin

Right now he's arguably not even 2nd choice in any position across the front 4 though.

-----------------------------Bruno/Pogba/Mata/VDB
Sancho/Greenwood/Diallo---------------Rahford/Martial/James
----------------------------Cavani/Greenwood/Martial
Mata is passed it IMO and won't even show the type of form Lingard managed on loan at West Ham for us again.

VDB is clearly not rated by Solskjaer no matter what he says. It's a big season for him

Rashford is out for three months going into the season

James is a joke, no one can convince me he offers more than what a confident and in form Lingard can

Lingard has a role to play here. I'm not against selling him to help facilitate a key signing but otherwise I see no need to rush him out the door when he can still contribute.

He's had a more impressive individual career than club legend Park did, with more goals and assists over a shorter period of time and more goals against the top 6 but he's treated like he's Cleverly or Gibson on here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I said I'd be very surprised if he ever kicks a ball for us again back in January.

I'll still be surprised if he's a United player when the window closes. Should be possible to move him on. And we absolutely should move him on - it will end in tears one way or another if he sticks around, not to mention being offered a new contract (that would be next level insanity).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Lingard sticking around, which for his sake and ours I don't believe he should, costs us signing Camavinga I'd weep a little. I really feel like we thought he'd be sold and that money was key to a midfield signing.
If he stays chances are James will get more games, not to mention Ole's focusing on Donny to play regularly this season... and Diallo is in need of minutes if we really want him develop further.

Just can't see it, unless he wants another year break from consistent football, but after that can't be sure if West Ham will still want/need him.

Pavl3n

Thanks for noting that I've already mentioned it in the post you initially quoted.
That's true - he can only play in about 90% of the games - just as he has since he's joined.
And that's why I said the only reason worth keeping him is so he can cover for Rashford (In the initial post).

And yes, he's not really saying 'I'll displace Bruno'. He's saying he'll fight for a spot. Again. He plays predominantly as a #10. Which means he fights to displace Bruno. Surely he'll be happy with any involvement - that's obvious.

What would you think if Telles said he'll fight for his spot? That he wants to play ahead of Shaw.
Or if Henderson said he'll be fighting for his spot?

I don't understand why are you needlessly picking on what I said.

OrcaFat

If he stays chances are James will get more games, not to mention Ole's focusing on Donny to play regularly this season... and Diallo is in need of minutes if we really want him develop further.

Just can't see it, unless he wants another year break from consistent football, but after that can't be sure if West Ham will still want/need him.
Think he will go at the end of the window for £15m-ish. There will be a few takers at that price I reckon.

Zoo

With Rashford injured there’s a good chance he starts the season on the left.

-Supreme-

I think Leicester could put a bid in if they end up selling Maddison.
Unlikely.

Leicester's transfer strategy is primarily focused around young emerging talents and it's worked out very well for them.

devips

I can't fathom why some people in here are tying themselves up in knots about Whether Lingard should leave or stay. It's totally upto the club and the Manager. Lingard is an Academy product and it's nice to know he wants to fight for his place here. If Ole is ok with that, why should someone else cry about it?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Think he will go at the end of the window for £15m-ish. There will be a few takers at that price I reckon.
Generous of us for that fee, but could make lot of good for the player.

Also doubt he's the solution for Rashford's absence, but nothing will surprise me too much.

United in sin

Thanks for noting that I've already mentioned it in the post you initially quoted.
That's true - he can only play in about 90% of the games - just as he has since he's joined.
And that's why I said the only reason worth keeping him is so he can cover for Rashford (In the initial post).

And yes, he's not really saying 'I'll displace Bruno'. He's saying he'll fight for a spot. Again. He plays predominantly as a #10. Which means he fights to displace Bruno. Surely he'll be happy with any involvement - that's obvious.

What would you think if Telles said he'll fight for his spot? That he wants to play ahead of Shaw.
Or if Henderson said he'll be fighting for his spot?

I don't understand why are you needlessly picking on what I said.
It's not needless, you're comparing players who are not even as versatile as Lingard. Can Telles play as a centerback or even as a right back? I don't even need to get into Henderson, that's a ridiculous comparison.

Lingard has been deployed in almost every position across the front to good effect. He cut his teeth in this United team playing on the wings and usurping the likes of Di Maria and Depay, right and left and down the middle, even displacing Mkhitaryan under Mourinho.

An in form Lingard is a tacticians dream as both LVG and Van Gaal came to find out. He's not a pure number 10 and never has been. Bruno isn't either

Idxomer

It's not needless, you're comparing players who are not even as versatile as Lingard. Can Telles play as a centerback or even as a right back? I don't even need to get into Henderson, that's a ridiculous comparison.

Lingard has been deployed in almost every position across the front to good effect. He cut his teeth in this United team playing on the wings and usurping the likes of Di Maria and Depay, right and left and down the middle, even displacing Mkhitaryan under Mourinho.

An in form Lingard is a tacticians dream as both LVG and Van Gaal came to find out. He's not a pure number 10 and never has been. Bruno isn't either
When did that happen? He was also either injured or on loan when Di Maria was at the club.

OrcaFat

Generous of us for that fee, but could make lot of good for the player.

Also doubt he's the solution for Rashford's absence, but nothing will surprise me too much.
Yeah we might get a bit more than £15m, just a hunch, taking into account the player’s wishes and his current salary.

United in sin

When did that happen? He was also either injured or on loan when Di Maria was at the club.
That's my mistake, it was Young who took Di Maria's spot. Lingard pushed Memphis and Mkhitaryan out of the way for several games

stevoc

Mata is passed it IMO and won't even show the type of form Lingard managed on loan at West Ham for us again.

VDB is clearly not rated by Solskjaer no matter what he says. It's a big season for him

Rashford is out for three months going into the season

James is a joke, no one can convince me he offers more than what a confident and in form Lingard can

Lingard has a role to play here. I'm not against selling him to help facilitate a key signing but otherwise I see no need to rush him out the door when he can still contribute.

He's had a more impressive individual career than club legend Park did, with more goals and assists over a shorter period of time and more goals against the top 6 but he's treated like he's Cleverly or Gibson on here.
Solskjaet rates all of them more highly than lingard though or lingard wouldn't have been restricted to a handful of appearances and then sent out on loan last season.

He doesn't play left wing ahead of Martial or Rashford when he's back. He doesn't (and can't) play on the right ahead of Sancho, Greenwood or Diallo(he was loaned out as soon as Amad joined). And he doesn't play 10 ahead of Bruno, Pogba and probably not Donny. So I personally don't see where he fits in, Ole clearly doesn't want him.

PS not a chance he's better than Park. He's better than Cleverley though.

Giggsy13

Offer him to Barca now that Messi is leaving. Messi Lingard as a like for like replacement.

Iron Tulip

He's had a more impressive individual career than club legend Park did
Park won 4 Premier League titles and a champions league. He gave his all for the shirt.

But regardless of stats, you cant compare the 2 as they had/have completely different roles..

I see what you're saying with Lingard but I feel like we've said the same thing over and over again for years and it's not done the player nor the club any favours.

OleBoiii

If we're creative we could do a swap deal with Barca. Lionel Messi for Mionel Jessi.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Samuel Luckhurst is correct, then he's being played over the likes of Hannibal, Shoretire etc due to Solskjaer trying to preserve the value of the player. I imagine the same applies for Andreas Pereira.

Pretty dissapointed personally because I would've liked to have seen the youngsters get more game time over the likes of Lingard and Pereira who just aren't good enough for where we aspire to be IMO.

Last edited:

stevoc

If Samuel Luckhurst is correct, then he's being played over the likes of Hannibal, Shoretire etc due to Solskjaer trying to preserve the value of the player. I imagine the same applies for Andreas Pereira.

Pretty dissapointed personally because I would've liked to have seen the youngsters get more game time over the likes of Lingard and Pereira who just aren't good enough for where aspire to be IMO.
Same here but if it gets them some potential buyers interested and gets them out of the club and off the wage bill, bringing in some money in the process then it's the right decision.

laughtersassassin

Looks like him staying will feck our summer plans.

Need a DM. Jesse won't be much use to us at all.

Crustanoid

Well he did feel a bit like a schizophrenic manager when he was here

::sonny::

Will sign a new long term deal

History say this (tuanzebe, bailly, jones, mata, matic, young: they tried to extend him in extremis when he decided to join inter)

C'est Moi Cantona

No idea why people have such an issue with him, he is a quality fill in when the main men aren't there, or a decent sub when needed, I'd far rather see Lingard come on than Mata or James that's for sure.

United in sin

Solskjaet rates all of them more highly than lingard though or lingard wouldn't have been restricted to a handful of appearances and then sent out on loan last season.

He doesn't play left wing ahead of Martial or Rashford when he's back. He doesn't (and can't) play on the right ahead of Sancho, Greenwood or Diallo(he was loaned out as soon as Amad joined). And he doesn't play 10 ahead of Bruno, Pogba and probably not Donny. So I personally don't see where he fits in, Ole clearly doesn't want him.

It's a new season, things are completely different. For instance it's being mentioned that Solskjaer wants to go with a 4-3-3 and that suits Lingard more than the likes of Mata and James for instance.

Depending on how things go in the transfer market Lingard could stay and Solskjaer could see a role for him. Daniel James was almost undroppable in his first season here and was pretty much shunned to the bench and had his minutes heavily restricted last season.

Nothing is set in stone outside of the dead cert starters. How much game time do you realistically see Mata getting next season? The likes of Elanga and Diallo might even be loaned out.

Park won 4 Premier League titles and a champions league. He gave his all for the shirt.

But regardless of stats, you cant compare the 2 as they had/have completely different roles..

I see what you're saying with Lingard but I feel like we've said the same thing over and over again for years and it's not done the player nor the club any favours.
Park is the squad player from that era who i'd say mirrors Lingard the most. They are/were both versatile high energy attacking mids who were entrusted with key roles in certain (several big games to boot) games to meet specific tactical approaches and both were used to good effect.

Park played under the most successful manager in modern football though and that sticks in the mind when you compare the two and evaluate their contributions to united. Park did have his share of detractors but was generally better liked as a person. Lingard is loathed for things that have nothing to do with football. I feel Park wouldn't be as much appreciated if he played in today's united.

Well he did feel a bit like a schizophrenic manager when he was here
Haha! Good one. I meant Mourinho

Last edited:

theklr

While I dont mind having him as a squad player, I am upset if that stops of from buying any of Saul/Neves/Camavinga

scottw

Supports
ManUtd and AtlantaUtd
We have a LOT of games, if he plays like he did last season, he will be a great addition to the bench and will get more time this season. We seem to always have a lot of injuries. I am glad he is staying with United, I think this will be a great season for him and Anthony!

Brophs

The One and Only
We have a LOT of games, if he plays like he did last season, he will be a great addition to the bench and will get more time this season. We seem to always have a lot of injuries. I am glad he is staying with United, I think this will be a great season for him and Anthony!
I suspect the issue is that without regular games, which he won’t get, he won’t play like he did last season. I can’t begrudge him wanting to stay and fight for his place, but I wonder is he just going to burn another of his peak years in the stands.

OrcaFat

Yeah, no way. Not close, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.