Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
One of the most shameless player we have in our squad.Lingz would rather sit on the bench and earn good money rather then play somewhere else.

PoTMS

He's a better player than Daniel James so I'd rather him sit on our bench out of the two. Still, the ideal situation would be to sell him and get another midfielder in by tomorrow evening.

United Hobbit

If Westham are interested why haven't we sold him and used the money towards a midfielder? He did well for Westham it would be a good move for both and an opportunity to move him on as he's not first team standards.

OoopsMisclick

He is just gunning for a massive sign-on bonus.
Most clubs he will assume he'll recreate his west ham form.

I'd ban him to u21.
What's the point of putting him on the bench?

BlahRules

If Westham are interested why haven't we sold him and used the money towards a midfielder? He did well for Westham it would be a good move for both and an opportunity to move him on as he's not first team standards.
West Ham don't want to pay £20+ million for a player that is going to be out of contract.

choccy77

I'd drag Jesse by his neck down to Stratford and dump him there and hold Rice's hand all the way back to Carrington.

Ole need's this attitude.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He is just gunning for a massive sign-on bonus.
Most clubs he will assume he'll recreate his west ham form.

I'd ban him to u21.
What's the point of putting him on the bench?
He’s a squad member and we might need to call on him at some point. We don’t need to invest any energy into him or give him opportunities to develop him but we don’t need to treat him like shit either.

He’s been with us since he was a child and by all accounts a good lad and we should treat him with respect, as we should all our staff.

GMoore23

I have hope he could still end up a West Ham player yet. We have first hand experience with Moyes and his dithering ways. I just want rid ASAP, we've moved on from Jesse and his stupid celebrations.

Stepney73

I'd drag Jesse by his neck down to Stratford and dump him there and hold Rice's hand all the way back to Carrington.

Ole need's this attitude.

I wouldn’t want that clogger rice anywhere near a Manchester Utd squad.

choccy77

I have hope he could still end up a West Ham player yet. We have first hand experience with Moyes and his dithering ways. I just want rid ASAP, we've moved on from Jesse and his stupid celebrations.
Maybe Moyes will offer us double.

Strats

Didn't he regard himself as one of the best no.10 is Europe during a period when he was playing absolutely awful?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I'll honestly be baffled if he is still with us come close of transfer window. What would be the point?

OoopsMisclick

He’s a squad member and we might need to call on him at some point. We don’t need to invest any energy into him or give him opportunities to develop him but we don’t need to treat him like shit either.

He’s been with us since he was a child and by all accounts a good lad and we should treat him with respect, as we should all our staff.
Imo, it's not like we are kicking him out. We just let him keep his fitness up in the reserves.
We'd just give his spot to someone we'd be willing to develop further.
Also, looking at the attacking options, we are quite stacked so barring an injury crisis, I'm not sure he'd get minutes anyway.

Yes, he has been with us since he was a kid but overstaying your welcome often comes at a price.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Imo, it's not like we are kicking him out. We just let him keep his fitness up in the reserves.
We'd just give his spot to someone we'd be willing to develop further.
Also, looking at the attacking options, we are quite stacked so barring an injury crisis, I'm not sure he'd get minutes anyway.

Yes, he has been with us since he was a kid but overstaying your welcome often comes at a price.
Your original post that I relied to was much more petty. United are a family club and don’t treat their staff, let alone academy members who have spent two decades with the club with so little respect.

Jesse is a popular lad with the rest of the squad and he will be treated like anyone else and have the chance to earn his place too.

Banana Republic

Apparently, WHU have made no formal approach at all.
If the reports are to believed, Jesse wants to stay and because of that, Ole won’t push for a sale.
I understand having respect for the lad, but the squad needs to be trimmed of surplus players and there’s going to be very limited opportunities to play.
FFS grow some Ole.
Surely there’s a tactful way of telling him he needs to go?

Judas

Open to offers
I get his love for the club, but he's a fool for wasting time trying to be a regular starter for us now. Shame for him and us really. He needs to be a lot more realistic.

Infestissumam

I just don't get it from his perspective. He killed it at West Ham and there's a WC next year, wouldn't he want to play? Instead he seems happy to be a well-paid benchwarmer at United. Damn shame really, him staying neither helps him nor the club at this point.

Gandalf

What you mean his game can be fixed? He’s not suddenly going to get better in tight spaces. And don’t make me laugh about the coaching. Jesus.. We’re fecking Man United, I’m pretty sure our coaching is top class. Unless you and whoever else it is on the caf whom thinks all our achievements are down to individual quality?
You obviously misunderstood my post. I did not say his game could be fixed I said that there are coaches who will believe they can fix his flaws and Bielsa is clearly one of them and yes it is a fact that our coaching staff are disrespected as they are mostly young and unproven although again I am not saying that they are bad just explaining why Dan is moving for the price that he is. I don't know if Dan can improve but equally you don't know that he can't because just like me you are an armchair pundit on a message board. One of the most significant factors for most clubs these days is the total cost of the deal and the potential resale value. Dan is 23 and earns between a third and a half of what Jesse does so any bid for Jesse has to factor in that at almost any other club he would be their highest earner. Jesse is also pushing 29 and so whatever is spent on him is likely a sunk cost as he won't be sold on whereas Dan clearly has the potential to at least recoup what Leeds are paying and if they are lucky and he tears it up they might even make a profit in 2 or 3 seasons. None of the above is an assessment of their relative abilities.

Kaos

In all seriousness, I think there'd unfortunately be a bit of resentment aimed towards him from the fans if he stays. If we don't end up signing a midfielder tomorrow, then rightly or wrongly, the fans will assume it's down to players like Jesse refusing to leave just to warm the bench here, possibly depriving us of the fees we need to improve a glaring weakness in our team.

DavelinaJolie

Lingard will stay and will play quite a few matches. His contract will be extended by another 4 years this season.

Don't cry people, deal with it.
I'm probably resigned to the first sentence in this at least. We aren't the only people that saw Bruno get run into the ground last season, Jesse possibly sees that as his opportunity to maintain a role here, especially since Donny doesn't seem to be in line.

While Sancho beds in probably best to have him playing outside more, especially with James gone and whilst we wait for Rashford to recover. Mata is too slow, so maybe Lingard has a niche this season.

Long-term, just can't see it.

Chairman Steve

That Paddy Keogh guy from that Muppetiers thing (who I think some on here said previously they think he has a club source) is disputing Shrager’s tweet and Moyes actually met with Lingard last night.

cj_sparky

He is in the England squad but not Greenwood :lol:
I'm sure Southgate/Ole have said at this time it was better for him to stay with United over the international break, Southgate also said he is too good for the 21's.

Maybe he's waiting on his Jamaica call up.

Matt851

Apparently, WHU have made no formal approach at all.
If the reports are to believed, Jesse wants to stay and because of that, Ole won’t push for a sale.
I understand having respect for the lad, but the squad needs to be trimmed of surplus players and there’s going to be very limited opportunities to play.
FFS grow some Ole.
Surely there’s a tactful way of telling him he needs to go?
Yeah we obviously should have made it clear he wasnt wanted over summer and priced him at a realistic level

The club has been too comfy a place for substandard performers for a long time. It really is incredible someone as poor as him has been with the club for so long

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So it's either money or the prestige of merely being at United that is proving a stumbling block. Clearly he knows he will hardly play. I think Ole throwing him on the other week was just market-posturing, same as James yesterday. Getting better leverage in (potential) negotiations. Anyhow, really hoped Jesse would choose football over being part of the gang at United. Surprised he was called up for England. Can't see him having too much of a chance at a future call-up if he stays here.

I don't mind him at all, and defended him a lot on here during the Mourinho reign, just desperate for the club to mend the bloated squad with so many players not contributing and just being here for the ride. And the small matter of making money and clearing space to fix our midfield sharpish.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just don't get it from his perspective. He killed it at West Ham and there's a WC next year, wouldn't he want to play? Instead he seems happy to be a well-paid benchwarmer at United. Damn shame really, him staying neither helps him nor the club at this point.
Yep.

CM

It would be a touch unambitious from Lingard to stay at the club. I sort of get the appeal of staying when you've just seen the big boys walk through the door but the reality is we are stacked in attacking areas and his minutes will be limited.

I'm not really sure what the point of the loan move to West Ham was if he can go there, kill it and then come back and be content with a few minutes here and there in the domestic cups. At 28 years old these are the prime years of his career, go and play.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I know he faced some personal issues last year and they contributed to it. In an interview, he said he was happy being on the bench. That feeling might not have been exclusive to the depression he was battling with.
I think he would rather be on the bench and get a few minutes here and there than play for a small club. Different things motivate different players.

InfiniteBoredom

I know he faced some personal issues last year and they contributed to it. In an interview, he said he was happy being on the bench. That feeling might not have been exclusive to the depression he was battling with.
I think he would rather be on the bench and get a few minutes here and there than play for a small club. Different things motivate different players.
It would be incredibly unambitious though, with the WC being a year away and England having a genuine chance to win it. As a player in your peak, what does that say about you if you are willing to sit on your arse for a year and miss out on representing your country, maybe the last chance you will have to do so as well. That's to say nothing about the prospect of playing week in week out at a club with respectable chance for European competition and top half PL finish.

Gerald G

Just find it so strange that he would want to stay and be benched after playing great, regular football last season. I don't get it. If I was Lingard, I would be trying to get out as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.