Jim Leighton Interview | I've never spoken to SAF since

Bestietom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46411576
Surprised no one on here is mentioning the Leighton article on BBC right now saying he would still not shake Fergusons hand.

I remember that final well. I remember how much of a basket case he was and how unsettled he made the back four. I remember how everyone thought Leighton was one of SAF favourites since he'd known him from Aberdeen days and that no matter how bad he would never be dropped (cough Lukaku) . Hell i was in the crowd one rainy afternoon in the 80s when he managed to drop a crossed easy catch backwards into his own net without a player within 30 yards of him...

It was actually quite a defining moment for Fergie. I assume the message in the dressing room was pretty stark.

If only now... but if wishes were horses beggers would ride.
I had a good wager on an accumulator bet and was waiting on Scotland to beat Russia. Leighton let the ball roll through his legs from a shot from way out in the last few minutes, to earn Russia a draw. I hated him since.

Needham

Sad affair given that (I think) the interview is not long after SAF's near fatal health scare. Weirdly, met a few Scots who don't have much time for him. He's a legend but the way he could off people or cut them dead himself is not that endearing. Sacrilegious maybe but no man is universally loved.