Jimmy Savile and Operation Yewtree

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You're probably right, I'd be suspicious though. I think the nature of their profession can drive them to become vile pretty easily.
*insert generic point about the difficulties of male sexuality and modern life*

Classical Mechanic

Not sure about 'little reward' Vicars and Priests occupy an elevated position in to their congregation and get pretty sweet digs (especially the Catholic ones where I'm from'. I imagine they get good pensions too.

DOTA

You'd like that wouldn't you
So much. I do try and turn everything in to a feminist issue.

I'm sure there's a way I can do this with Pogba's best position but I just can't crack it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not sure if it's the relevant thread but I've been watching this show on Netflix called 'The Keepers' about a Nun who was murdered in the US many years ago as part of a wider issue of priests raping young school girls (horrible synopsis, research advised, interesting show so far) and it's just staggering. It genuinely makes me beg the question is the whole point of organised Catholicism just to exploit people sexually? It's just a historical tidal wave of abuse with this religion in the UK, Ireland, US and I'm sure other places. Is it really a coincidence that all these priests are pretty much all outcasts and the types who might be likely to abuse their powers? Is there a Catholic local establishment that hasn't abused anyone? And I'm not being facetious either.

I don't wish to offend anyone but that's what it seems like to me. Just one big song and dance to exert power over people. Why not just let people have the bible and get on with their lives.. why do you need nuns?? Are they just for the priest to use? How many scandals do there need to be? Seems like that this church is powerful beyond belief. Makes my skin crawl to imagine how much nefarious shit they're up to in the current day even let alone in the past. Not much to this post, just some musings. Seems like when there is a gun crime in the US and we all make fun of the US defending their laws and making light of it but we have something just as abhorrent here and it's relatively brushed away compared to the depravity and devastation caused.
Watched that a few months ago with my wife, we were both shocked. She’s catholic, I’m not. I said to her “I bet he ends up in Ireland” and he bloody did! It’s disgusting what members of the church did in Ireland from sexual abuse to beating the shit out of kids in school.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
You're right. My knowledge is purely news based (luckily) and I don't ever hold practicing individuals to the same standard or generalization as the organization itself, hope that goes without saying, I'm not talking about the average Joseph. Priests... you're losing me a bit, they usually look like 'the type', don't care how unfair that may sound. It's just staggering when you look at the scale of the multifaceted abuse. And how it goes the same way no matter the country or time period. It's consistent and huge beyond comprehension.
Making absurd and nonsensical statements like this does you no favours if you're looking to engage in some sort of informative debate. It's utterly juvenile.

DOTA

Not sure about 'little reward' Vicars and Priests occupy an elevated position in to their congregation and get pretty sweet digs (especially the Catholic ones where I'm from'. I imagine they get good pensions too.
They are paid quite a bit less than positions which require the same level of study and training.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
From what I understand from my mother in law, practicing catholic, sees no wrong blah blah type.. they get digs yes but they don’t get funding from the parish to keep their church running or for basics for the priest. They get by on donations. That’s why there’s like 3 different collections, 1 for the priest, 1 for the parish and 1 goes to the big bank in the Vatican

Classical Mechanic

They are paid quite a bit less than positions which require the same level of study and training.
From what I understand from my mother in law, practicing catholic, sees no wrong blah blah type.. they get digs yes but they don’t get funding from the parish to keep their church running or for basics for the priest. They get by on donations. That’s why there’s like 3 different collections, 1 for the priest, 1 for the parish and 1 goes to the big bank in the Vatican
Cheers.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Watched that a few months ago with my wife, we were both shocked. She’s catholic, I’m not. I said to her “I bet he ends up in Ireland” and he bloody did! It’s disgusting what members of the church did in Ireland from sexual abuse to beating the shit out of kids in school.
I almost don't want to know mate

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You're probably right, I'd be suspicious though. I think the nature of their profession can drive them to become vile pretty easily.
That's true of coppers too though, having power over people can corrupt people. You'd be wrong to label all police as bad, just as you're wrong to label all priests bad over what is a genuinely tiny minority.

Edit: Doesn't excuse some of the things that have gone on though, it's abhorrent and needs to be stamped out.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
That's true of coppers too though, having power over people can corrupt people. You'd be wrong to label all police as bad, just as you're wrong to label all priests bad over what is a genuinely tiny minority.
You can say it of all people in any position of power whatsoever, even if it's minuscule. Pretty sure the science will back that up, not disputing it. The power a Priest has is as powerful as God himself to many people, and his desires are magnified through abstinence and isolation. His power and motivation to abuse levels are both off the charts, not comparable with any other profession imo