João Cancelo

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
20 year old Portuguese right back on loan from Benfica to Valencia at present. Capped at all youth levels of Portugal, yet to make senior debut.

Metro article too - http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/22/manch...mendes-to-seal-joao-cancelo-transfer-5162832/

Benfica
Cancelo started his football career at F.C. Barreirense. Three years later, he joined S.L. Benfica's youth system at the age of 14, and progressed through the youth teams as a first-choice right back, although also playing as a left back.

On 28 July 2012, Cancelo debuted for Benfica in a friendly against Gil Vicente F.C. where he played the full 90 minutes as a right back.[1]

Despite playing with Benfica B, he touted as a possible replacement to Maxi Pereira in the first-team.[2] While playing for the reserves, he played occasionally for the Juniors team, and on the 18th May 2013, he scored the two decisive goals in a 2-1 win against Rio Ave, that proclaimed Benfica as Portuguese Juniors Champions.[3]

In 25 January 2014, he made his debut with the main squad, in a League Cup match against Gil Vicente, coming on as a late substitute in the 1–0 home win.[4]Benfica went on to win the competition on that year.

Valencia
On 20 August 2014, he joined Valencia on a one-year loan deal.[5]

He debuted in his new team on 25 September 2014, against Córdoba at an eventual 3–0 home win.[6]
Got some skills too -

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Gifted player for the position, like his teammate Gaya who's further along in his development at this stage. Really inconsistent when I've seen him. Will have one good performance followed by 2 or 3 mediocre ones. Was quality vs Levante the other week, but then rather poor vs Barcelona in the following week from a limited appearance. Having said that, he is an exciting talent and has all the necessary traits to be a very good right back.

Right now his attacking play is of a good standard, defensively not so much. Good stature for a right back - kind of like Ferreira and Bosingwa, he can dribble freely, very good timing on overlaps, the end product isn't quite up to par but he is improving. His technique, positioning inconsistencies and defensive flaws let him down a bit at times. Though to be fair, that's kind of a given with young players, they make mistakes and (hopefully) learn especially in a league that doesn't lay a major emphasis on defensive astuteness. Potentially a high caliber player, but still needs a lot of playing experience and proper coaching in the nuances of defensive play.

Dunno about his loan status from Benfica. He could return to Portugal or even extend the deal at Valencia to try to displace Barragan for more time as a starter. They will probably qualify for the Champions League, Nuno seems like a good young manager, and there are other good Portuguese players around, including Andre Gomes so he has the right environment to progress.

Ekeke

He's decent going forward but doesnt play much at Valencia (5 starts all season) kept out of the team by Antonio Barragan... would be very strange to sign him at this point although he should develop into a good player

prarek

He's second choice at Valencia and not yet ready for a club like ours. He's got potential though.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's decent going forward but doesnt play much at Valencia (5 starts all season) kept out of the team by Antonio Barragan... would be very strange to sign him at this point although he should develop into a good player

Maybe we will start With Valencia as our main RB and give Cancelo time to Develo.

Ekeke

Maybe we will start With Valencia as our main RB and give Cancelo time to Develo.
Could be. For what its worth I'd like to see him given more games, but the coach plays Barragan anyway. Sort of like Valencia and Rafael...

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why is he on loan at Valencia? Surely Valencia are better than Benfica and if he isn't wasn't playing regularly there, did they really expect him to play at Valencia?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Why is he on loan at Valencia? Surely Valencia are better than Benfica and if he isn't wasn't playing regularly there, did they really expect him to play at Valencia?
Jorge Mendes.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If it helps, I signed him on FIFA. Good speed and develops into a very good player.

Ekeke

If this is true it might explain all the Otamendi stories when we were actually watching him
It'll be both, more likely

You know, since Cancelo wasnt playing most of the time

Probably because Valencia are buying all of Portugal, and wanted to take him on loan with a view to making it permanent.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Probably because Valencia are buying all of Portugal, and wanted to take him on loan with a view to making it permanent.
Ah right, that makes sense. I was thinking purely from a gaining experience point of view but if Valencia are looking to buy then it makes more sense.

prarek

Lots of players 'belonging' to Jorge Mendes are on 'loan' at Valencia with the idea of signing them permanently next season. And its because their takeover was not yet finalised when the transfer window closed so the new owner wanted to protect himself. Not sure if they will sign Cancelo though.

Id say Benfica are a bit better at the minute. Besides Maxi Pereira has been a regular there for years.
Valencia are miles better than Benfica. You'll see next season in the champions league.

Devil may care

He looks skilful and athletic plus he has height, might be a case of bringing him in to develop as Valencia's understudy.

Ekeke

Here's a vid of his involvements in the local derby against Levante just under 2 weeks ago

A very strange choice of music however...

Devil may care

Please no. What a way to ruin a young player's career

He's 5'9
:lol: I didn't mean learn to play like him, just that he could come in without the pressure of being an immediate starter and develop at his own pace while Valencia started.

Really? He looked rangy in the video in the OP, I thought he would be closer to 6ft.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Valencia are sorted on either flank for the forseeable future with both Cancelo and Jose Gaya big talents.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Jorge Mendes in ripping off Peter Lim shocker :lol: Cancelo is a decent prospect and has some potencial but his value is nowhere near 15 millions. I think 5 to 7 millions would be the appropriate fee. I mean our right back Cédric (who is a starter at Sporting) and already a Portuguese internacional is being negotiated with Barcelona for 7 millions and this guy who has half a dozen Valência games and couldn´t get past Benfica B is worth 15 millions? No chance. Perhaps in the future but not now.

prarek

Jorge Mendes in ripping off Peter Lim shocker :lol: Cancelo is a decent prospect and has some potencial but his value is nowhere near 15 millions. I think 5 to 7 millions would be the appropriate fee. I mean our right back Cédric (who is a starter at Sporting) and already a Portuguese internacional is being negotiated with Barcelona for 7 millions and this guy who has half a dozen Valência games and couldn´t get past Benfica B is worth 15 millions? No chance. Perhaps in the future but not now.
It does seem a bit strange. He's got potential no doubt but for now he's played spent almost his entire career at Benfica B and a handful of games for Valencia. How on earth is he worth €15m/£10m is beyond me.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It does seem a bit strange. He's got potential no doubt but for now he's played spent almost his entire career at Benfica B and a handful of games for Valencia. How on earth is he worth €15m/£10m is beyond me.
These deals involving Mendes are always strange. There are also some doubts about the Bernardo Silva deal with Mónaco. These are the last deals with funds involved so it wouldn´t surprise me if there is some creative accounting.

Loublaze

ATLien
He is an exciting talent and has all the necessary traits to be a very good right back.

Right now his attacking play is of a good standard, defensively not so much. Good stature for a right back - kind of like Ferreira and Bosingwa, he can dribble freely, very good timing on overlaps, the end product isn't quite up to par but he is improving. His technique, positioning inconsistencies and defensive flaws let him down a bit at times. Though to be fair, that's kind of a given with young players, they make mistakes and (hopefully) learn especially in a league that doesn't lay a major emphasis on defensive astuteness. Potentially a high caliber player, but still needs a lot of playing experience and proper coaching in the nuances of defensive play.
Sounds like Varela going by your assessment.

Ekeke

He looks a lot more talented than Varela, better coming forward. Defensively Varela probably edges it

Should also mention that he's quite different physically, not small

Last edited:

LR7

I know this isn't the Varela thread but does anyone know if he's coming back to us after his loan?

Loublaze

ATLien
I know this isn't the Varela thread but does anyone know if he's coming back to us after his loan?
I doubt it but I hope Real decide against signing him like they did Hernandez. The loan should be over now, it was only to the end of the season. We should be hearing something in the coming weeks