João Palhinha - Sporting Lisbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

I don't know why, but most DLPs are slower players. Carrick, Pirlo, Kroos, Busquets, Jorginho even Ruben Neves. You wouldn't call any of them fast or agile.
Probably because they are smarter players.

Or they are smarter because they weren't faster so had to become smarter.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Surely we should sign their whole midfield.
I love the way Nunes uses those quick body feints to get out the press along with his well placed long balls. Very technically skilled player.

SportingCP96

Supports
Why isnt he in the national team?
He just got called up to the Brazil national team but he was pulled by Sporting (the player agreed) because he would have to miss the big game vs Porto if he went to Brazil due to the COVID protocol.

Another reason he was ok with this is because the rumor is he wants to play for Portugal.

Nonetheless he has not gone unnoticed and being called by Brazil was a testament to his quality in my opinion.

dal

He’s probably as good as Mctominay and that’s a compliment.

TheRedHearted

Probably because they are smarter players.

Or they are smarter because they weren't faster so had to become smarter.
Or because their mind is moving so smartly their body moves slower and more controlled.
Anyway what is a DLP?? What does it stand for. I get it’s that deep lying playmaker. Oh wait. Got it

Danillaco

He is an absolute unit.

We play a two man midfield and Palhinha is essentially like two players. He partners Matheus Nunes (another very talented midfielder in our ranks go check him out)

Very strong defensively and his tackle success and headers won is really high (I can't find the exact link where I found that stat).

Offensively he is nothing to write home about but has two goals so far this season. Good enough passer but you would not be getting him for his attacking ability.

His reading of the game and understanding of when to go all in for a tackle is impressive. He is probably the single most important player in our team because nobody does what he does in our team. His presence on the pitch is very evident.

Long story short the man is a vacuum. He cleans up everything.
You have just described exactly what United lacks.

Tony Clifton

Recently I was watching Portugal play, and this guy was the CDM. Tall, strong and actually fast considering his size, with a good passing range.

Went and did a little research, and was quite pleased. With the talk about Neves to United, this guy is being touted as his replacement, even though he's two years older.

Got to admit, would very much worth a look, especially him being a regular for Portugal and Sporting in the Champions League against the likes of Ajax and Dortmund.

The price of about less than 30 million makes it even better.

Scouting experts and Lisbon supporters, what do you guys think?

Anyone here that can confirm whether Palhinha is anywhere near as good as that compilation clip suggests…at least on a a somewhat consistent basis? Looks absolutely magnificent in that position.

Down to every detail seems to be the exact player we need as holding mid, or even the lone 6 if you will. Also just about to enter the prime years, especially for that role. Experienced yet young enough (26, like Carrick was when he joined us) to play at a high level for another five, six seasons or so.

davidmichael

Anyone here that can confirm whether Palhinha is anywhere near as good as that compilation clip suggests…at least on a a somewhat consistent basis? Looks absolutely magnificent in that position.

Down to every detail seems to be the exact player we need as holding mid, or even the lone 6 if you will. Also just about to enter the prime years, especially for that role. Experienced yet young enough (26, like Carrick was when he joined us) to play at a high level for another five, six seasons or so.
The best person to ask is @SportingCP96

Danillaco

I don't know since I just saw him for Portugal. I admit I knew nothing about him, but was really impressed and started a research.

The guy did hold himself pretty good. But I'll wait for the main man from Sporting.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP

Yes, he's very good and keeps evolving. Probably the next one that will be taken from us, agains't our will...

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He is an absolute unit.

We play a two man midfield and Palhinha is essentially like two players. He partners Matheus Nunes (another very talented midfielder in our ranks go check him out)

Very strong defensively and his tackle success and headers won is really high (I can't find the exact link where I found that stat).

Offensively he is nothing to write home about but has two goals so far this season. Good enough passer but you would not be getting him for his attacking ability.

His reading of the game and understanding of when to go all in for a tackle is impressive. He is probably the single most important player in our team because nobody does what he does in our team. His presence on the pitch is very evident.

Long story short the man is a vacuum. He cleans up everything.
He’s probably as good as Mctominay and that’s a compliment.
Hmmm should I believe a Sporting fan who watches him every week or a random person on the internet who thinks he is a scout?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hmmm should I believe a Sporting fan who watches him every week or a random person on the internet who thinks he is a scout?
Well in fairness the Portuguese league can be hard to judge. The good players do get really hyped. You get many big successes like Matic, Bruno etc, but you also get the overhyped ones like William or Nuno Mendes (so far), and then there's some who nobody rated so highly in Portugal who take to the Prem like ducks to water (Raul Jimenez, Ruben Dias). On the whole though I'd say your odds are pretty good when going for Portuguese players that they can adapt.

dal

You need to watch biased YouTube clips.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Well in fairness the Portuguese league can be hard to judge. The good players do get really hyped. You get many big successes like Matic, Bruno etc, but you also get the overhyped ones like William or Nuno Mendes (so far), and then there's some who nobody rated so highly in Portugal who take to the Prem like ducks to water (Raul Jimenez, Ruben Dias). On the whole though I'd say your odds are pretty good when going for Portuguese players that they can adapt.
Very, very premature to be judging Nuno Mendes, even if you add "so far" to the end of the assessment, he's 19 and has spent 1 month at his new club. Ruben Dias was one of the highest rated young CBs in Europe before City signed him.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't know since I just saw him for Portugal. I admit I knew nothing about him, but was really impressed and started a research.

The guy did hold himself pretty good. But I'll wait for the main man from Sporting.

He is by far and large our most important player. Nobody in our team does what he does. Only other irreplaceable player for us is Coates followed by Pote.

Joao Palhinha plays in a 2 man midfield with Matheus Nunes (just got called up for Portugal) and Joao Mario last year. He is essentially like having 2 Defensive mids because he covers so much ground. His tackle and interception rate is brilliant

Last season Palhinha head an absolute rock in the midfield he wins 95% of his 1 on 1 duels. Duals won per 90 is 9,11 his recuperations per game is 5,83 his interceptions per game is 1,38 and his aerial duels won is 2,55. The man is an absolute freak defensively. This season I don’t have the exact numbers but I’m very confident they are not far off at all.

Uses his body very well to shield the ball can pass out the back and his tackling if phenomenal. If he’s anywhere near you he’s most likely stripping you. Physically he’s very imposing.

Offensively he won’t be scoring lots of goals (he has 3 so far this season) but that’s not why he would be getting bought. Classic CDM who lunges into tackles and isn’t afraid of putting in work and playing a physical game.

SportingCP96

Supports
PSG fans have been raving about Nuno Mendes in their forum and Mbappe as well has had nothing but good things to say.

I would argue their are more hits then fails in our league. Especially with Sporting bar a few *cough rojo cough * granted I never rated Rojo.

Two I will admit I got wrong we’re William (he failed not because of talent but mentally) and Ruben Dias who blossomed into a player I would not have expected at all.

Felix I said was not worth the money and was overhyped which is proving to be true so far but he still has time.

As for the talent in Sporting right now Palhinha, Pote, Inácio are the 3 with rhe biggest potential followed by Matheus Nunes.

Palhinha would walk into the EPL right now just like I knew Bruno would but the others I don’t think are their yet.

Nuno Mendes it would have been beneficial to stay with us 1 more year but at thr same time he’s going to a league of equal level so it’s not a crazy jump.

TwoSheds

PSG fans have been raving about Nuno Mendes in their forum and Mbappe as well has had nothing but good things to say.

I would argue their are more hits then fails in our league. Especially with Sporting bar a few *cough rojo cough * granted I never rated Rojo.

Two I will admit I got wrong we’re William (he failed not because of talent but mentally) and Ruben Dias who blossomed into a player I would not have expected at all.

Felix I said was not worth the money and was overhyped which is proving to be true so far but he still has time.

As for the talent in Sporting right now Palhinha, Pote, Inácio are the 3 with rhe biggest potential followed by Matheus Nunes.

Palhinha would walk into the EPL right now just like I knew Bruno would but the others I don’t think are their yet.

Nuno Mendes it would have been beneficial to stay with us 1 more year but at thr same time he’s going to a league of equal level so it’s not a crazy jump.
Well I've only seen Nuno Mendes twice this year but he was absolute garbage both times, once for Portugal against Ireland and then for PSG against City. In particular I don't think I've ever seen such a bad performance from a full back as in the Portugal game when he came on. Every cross into orbit, every touch heavy, every tackle missed. But then it's understandable if he has nerves in big games at his age. Sounds like he must have been doing better in the league for PSG though so that's a good sign.

SportingCP96

Supports
Well I've only seen Nuno Mendes twice this year but he was absolute garbage both times, once for Portugal against Ireland and then for PSG against City. In particular I don't think I've ever seen such a bad performance from a full back as in the Portugal game when he came on. Every cross into orbit, every touch heavy, every tackle missed. But then it's understandable if he has nerves in big games at his age. Sounds like he must have been doing better in the league for PSG though so that's a good sign.
Well you said It all in the first line.

You can’t condem a player after watching him twice.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
I didn't condemn him, that's why I said "so far".
That "so far" can be misleading. You've probably meant "as far as I've seen" and not that the player has failed to show his quality and potential so far in his beggining career.

You then added that you only watched two matches but that didn't stop you from labeling him "overhyped". Even knowing that he got great reviews last season and is getting good reviews now, it didn't make you wonder that probably two matches shouldn't be enough to label him.

Unless a catastrophe happens, I can say that Nuno Mendes is destined to be great, although at 19 years old, he still has a good margin to improve, improvements that need experience.

TwoSheds

That "so far" can be misleading. You've probably meant "as far as I've seen" and not that the player has failed to show his quality and potential so far in his beggining career.

You then added that you only watched two matches but that didn't stop you from labeling him "overhyped". Even knowing that he got great reviews last season and is getting good reviews now, it didn't make you wonder that probably two matches shouldn't be enough to label him.

Unless a catastrophe happens, I can say that Nuno Mendes is destined to be great, although at 19 years old, he still has a good margin to improve, improvements that need experience.
Well given the hype I've seen for the guy I wouldn't have expected him to put in 2 such dreadful performances. But accepting that he did doesn't mean he can't go on to be a really good player, merely that he isn't as far advanced in his development as it seemed to me by the descriptions coming from Portugal last year.

Danillaco

He is by far and large our most important player. Nobody in our team does what he does. Only other irreplaceable player for us is Coates followed by Pote.

Joao Palhinha plays in a 2 man midfield with Matheus Nunes (just got called up for Portugal) and Joao Mario last year. He is essentially like having 2 Defensive mids because he covers so much ground. His tackle and interception rate is brilliant

Last season Palhinha head an absolute rock in the midfield he wins 95% of his 1 on 1 duels. Duals won per 90 is 9,11 his recuperations per game is 5,83 his interceptions per game is 1,38 and his aerial duels won is 2,55. The man is an absolute freak defensively. This season I don’t have the exact numbers but I’m very confident they are not far off at all.

Uses his body very well to shield the ball can pass out the back and his tackling if phenomenal. If he’s anywhere near you he’s most likely stripping you. Physically he’s very imposing.

Offensively he won’t be scoring lots of goals (he has 3 so far this season) but that’s not why he would be getting bought. Classic CDM who lunges into tackles and isn’t afraid of putting in work and playing a physical game.
From what I saw, for what we need, you had me sold on him at He.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

How do you compare with him with Matic at Benfica ?

SportingCP96

Supports
How do you compare with him with Matic at Benfica ?
A lot different players to be honest.

Palhinha is more aggressive and physically imposing. I think on the defensive side of the ball he’s a better player. As I said his interceptions and duels won per 90 is absurd.

Matic though was always able to strike the ball pretty well along with bringing the ball up the pitch.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@SportingCP96

Could he work in a 433 with Pogba and Bruno?

I ask this to see if he can do the shielding job by himself or does he need to kind of play in a 4231 with a defensive partner?

SportingCP96

Supports
@SportingCP96

Could he work in a 433 with Pogba and Bruno?

I ask this to see if he can do the shielding job by himself or does he need to kind of play in a 4231 with a defensive partner?
He does it on his own in Sporting so it would work well.

Last season he was with Joao Mario who does not press and he not a defensive midfielder and this season he is with Matheus Nunes who is a box to box guy.

The reason he is our most important player is for that exact reason that he is the only guy in our team with his attributes and abilities. He is a vacuum in the midfield.

In the Euros he was the loan DM vs France and has been in the qualifiers as well.

Sporting play a 3-4-3 formation with Palhinha and Nunes as the only guys in midfield.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QiV5bA1tR74?feature=share

SportingCP96

Supports
A goal to top off a very solid performance for Joao Palhinha today.

SportingCP96

Supports
João Palhinha VS Luxemburg

•73 minutes played
•94,3% pass accuracy
•14 duels won in midfield
•2 areal duels won
•7 ball recovery’s
•1 goal

Status