Joško Gvardiol | signs for Peps CB collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Real Name opinion on him going to City?

I'm quite disappointed they are getting him, think he's a cracking defender.
Huge talent, absolutely huge. Can do everything as a defender, defends, reads the game, great in headers, terrific pass on him and makes runs through the middle from time to time as if he's prime Maldini.
Croatia is set in that position with him and Šutalo for the next 10 years.
Unfortunately as much as I hate him going there it will do him a ton of goods. Hopefully he'll improve as a player and win fek all.

Huge talent, absolutely huge. Can do everything as a defender, defends, reads the game, great in headers, terrific pass on him and makes runs through the middle from time to time as if he's prime Maldini.
Croatia is set in that position with him and Šutalo for the next 10 years.
Unfortunately as much as I hate him going there it will do him a ton of goods. Hopefully he'll improve as a player and win fek all.

Yeah he's a mint prospect and going there will make him even better really. Just a bloody shame he's going to that lot :lol:

Well they've pretty much got their defensive line up sorted out for the foreseeable future with dias, stones and now him added to the mix.

What a shame.

£86m + wages of 200k+ and then the off the book wages in the Middle East ala Mancini.

It's truly a wonderful underdog story by City. :lol:

How does Pep do it? :lol:

With all due respect, you guys have spent the most over the last decade - even more than Man City. Your owners have spent, but most of those players haven't worked out. That's the issue.

We’ve squandered hundreds of millions but you’re incredibly naive if you think what City have spent on paper is what they’ve actually spent.

Genius move by pep once again. Pep or money.

With all due respect, you guys have spent the most over the last decade - even more than Man City. Your owners have spent, but most of those players haven't worked out. That's the issue.

This kind of apologist sh*te comes up over and over. What we spent is irrelevant. You won't find anyone arguing that our owners have not spent horrendously.

That is absolutely nothing to do with what City are doing. 2 different things and not as smart a point as those who constantly spout it think it is.

The only relevance it has to discussion actually further emphasises the point about City's cheating - they missed on quite a few signings but always seem to miraculously turn a profit on their sales. Given their mastery of the off the books angles, you really would have to question how. Meanwhile, our big spending has led to FFP constraints. And we aren't the only ones. But do continue to be an apologist for the team that are cheating all the other PL teams out of winning things, including that elusive league you didn't win last year because of the petro club.

Football clubs HATE him! This bald Spaniard defies the odds constantly with amazing player finds for little money with this one weird trick!

Wouldn’t Gvardiol become the 3rd « most expensive defender » City signs after Mangala and Mendy?
Not to forget all their other defenders they signed for £50m+ (Dias, Laporte, Stones, Otamendi, Walker, Cancelo). For sure the real difference is that they have a great DoF

Not saying that, not at all, I feel we shouldn't be surprised or cry because of what they are doing. It's clear that,cheating aside, they know who to buy and when to sell better than anyone.
That's one hell of a 'cheating aside'. That cheating isnt something going on in the background which doesnt have anything with the way they buy, sell and operate. So you cant just put it aside.

Loving the saltiness in this thread, I am not sure who is stopping us from going after Gvardiol/Rice/Kane etc. except for lack of ambition. There's no point in crying after their transfers, they usually do sign atleast 1 World Class player every window. Unless those charges are proven only thing we can do is better ourselves as much as we can.

Wouldn’t Gvardiol become the 3rd « most expensive defender » City signs after Mangala and Mendy?
Not to forget all their other defenders they signed for £50m+ (Dias, Laporte, Stones, Otamendi, Walker, Cancelo). For sure the real difference is that they have a great DoF

That's because the reported costs are not the real costs.

Its not really a conspiracy, They just sell really well.

22/23 - 180m
21/22 - 88m
20/21 - 97m

They will probably sell Cancelo, a CB and Bernado Silva this summer for almost 100m again.
It comes down to not being satisfied with anything less than the best. If you ask anyone in this forum whether we should sell Bruno if a better player in his position became available, you'd be ridiculed and justification as to why he is the bestest would come in. This also reflects in the mentality of the club.
No point worrying about what City do really. They're already that good under Pep it's neither here nor there who they sign. Gvardiol means very little compared to where signing Haaland took them because that was a player that will decimate most of the league. They'll win nearly all their matches for the forseeable future and you can't really do that much better than win all your matches so in that respect it's hard to think too much about a signing like this that operates on the margins of making much difference.
They actually scored more goals and had more points before Haaland joined. The treble was more about improvement in the defensive side of thing.

It comes down to not being satisfied with anything less than the best. If you ask anyone in this forum whether we should sell Bruno if a better player in his position became available, you'd be ridiculed and justification as to why he is the bestest would come in. This also reflects in the mentality of the club.

Nailed it with the Bruno example. I have seen people defend keeping AWB, Lindeloff etc this summer. Both of these guys' contracts run out next year with us having an option for an extra year. We should be trying to sell them right now seeing as we know damn well they are not going to be bonafide starters in our team. Instead we are going to go into next summer and probably end up offering them bumper deals to stay or worse they leave the summer after for free.

Sounds like Martinez can do everything that he can do - quick, strong, good on the ball, loves defending - without being rash and error prone. So why the record fee do you think?
Because they (have to) pay his release clause.

The more I see things like this, the crazier it seems. I can't imagine what I would have thought 20 years ago if someone had told me that City would be able to cherry pick whichever players they choose from around the globe without a care in the world, while we struggle to put together enough money to buy a functional midfielder and goalkeeper. Crazy times!

Wonder what's your opinion on Bruno.

That reflects the state of the club. If we had players like KdB, Haaland, Rodri, Grealish, Foden and few other very good players it would be easy to sell players like Bruno without missing much. When your team relies on Bruno, without whom we struggle to create chances, it would be foolish to want him sold.

This is a very good point lots of sentimentality. Also relative to consider which players are important in proportion to how a team wants to play. I don't intend to go off topic but Bruno as an 8 alongside another 8 (Mount) is almost cause for disaster given how much Bruno loses possession which can be offset (justifiably) due to his creative output.

But the higher the level of opposition the more risk a simple loss of possession can contribute, against any decent team it's a sustained period of 15 mins trying to regain the ball and defensive shape while likely being under pressure.

Why does City love spending on CBs? They already have Dias and Stones who are world-class, plus they even have CBs playing out of position in Ake and Akanji and a starting quality rotation option in Laporte.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Why does City love spending on CBs? They already have Dias and Stones who are world-class, plus they even have CBs playing out of position in Ake and Akanji and a starting quality rotation option in Laporte.

City going to City. It's all totally meaningless. When you've got an endless money pile, who needs reason?

They actually scored more goals and had more points before Haaland joined. The treble was more about improvement in the defensive side of thing.
I think long term having Haaland is stronger than not having him. Most of the league shit themselves just at the sight of him. He's guaranteed to score bucket loads every year. There probably won't be much inconsistency in his output which is always going to put them close to a title.

It's because they played with 3-4 center backs in their starting lineup lately and if Laporte leaves, they are looking to secure two left-footed options in Ake and Gvardiol as it is crucial for the way they are playing.

That reflects the state of the club. If we had players like KdB, Haaland, Rodri, Grealish, Foden and few other very good players it would be easy to sell players like Bruno without missing much. When your team relies on Bruno, without whom we struggle to create chances, it would be foolish to want him sold.
I was just giving an example because I see alot of arguments for him on this forum. I think he is a good footballer but not amongst the best in his position and obviously we cant just sell him.

However, If an upgrade became available and he played at Real Madrid or City, they'd replace him easily. At United, no way we do that.

I was just giving an example because I see alot of arguments for him on this forum. I think he is a good footballer but not amongst the best in his position and obviously we cant just sell him.

However, If an upgrade became available and he played at Real Madrid or City, they'd replace him easily. At United, no way we do that.
We got rid of Ronaldo on 500k a week 6 months ago and haven't replaced him or Cavani so replacing an inform player ( whilst i respect your argument ) is beyond the capabilities of our staff, up there on the top floor.

We got rid of Ronaldo on 500k a week 6 months ago and haven't replaced him or Cavani so replacing an inform player ( whilst i respect your argument ) is beyond the capabilities of our staff, up there on the top floor.
Ronaldo forced his way out. We did not sale him.

I'm not suggesting we sell Bruno. It was just hypothetical. I'm just saying that for United to be the best or one of the best in Europe, they have to be smart and ruthless when it comes to selling as much as buying. Ferguson often moved on players once he saw signs that a decline was beginning or we could get/already had a better player in the youth system. That ambition needs to return.

This kind of apologist sh*te comes up over and over. What we spent is irrelevant. You won't find anyone arguing that our owners have not spent horrendously.

That is absolutely nothing to do with what City are doing. 2 different things and not as smart a point as those who constantly spout it think it is.

The only relevance it has to discussion actually further emphasises the point about City's cheating - they missed on quite a few signings but always seem to miraculously turn a profit on their sales. Given their mastery of the off the books angles, you really would have to question how. Meanwhile, our big spending has led to FFP constraints. And we aren't the only ones. But do continue to be an apologist for the team that are cheating all the other PL teams out of winning things, including that elusive league you didn't win last year because of the petro club.
Relax, was just responding to a poster who said you guys don't have millions to drop on a player. Just pointed out you've spent plenty, but as you say it's been largely poorly spent.

And I'm with you, completely agree about City's dirty deeds and I hope the charges against them come to something, but I'm not optimistic.

Fantastic player who'll once again take City up another level. They're in a strong position to dominate Europe for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.