Joao Felix

Mrdan1709

There's been so many kids from the Portuguese league in recent seasons that were meant to be the next big thing but never lived up to the hype.

Renato Sanches, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, Goncalo Guedes, Andre Gomes, Joao Mario..... Then Nani, Anderson and Gaitan before that.
For one...nani and anderson were good for united. Andre gomes was never the next big thing whilst in portugal, he made a name for himself playing for valencia in la liga. Same for Goncalo Guedes

Gelson and gaitan struggled to adapt to simeones tactics like many attacking players seem to struggle at atletico. Gelson is currently at monaco and has been their best player in recent games where they have essentially saved themselves from relegation.

As far as i know william carvalho plays well for real betis

Champagne Football

For one...nani and anderson were good for united. Andre gomes was never the next big thing whilst in portugal, he made a name for himself playing for valencia in la liga. Same for Goncalo Guedes

Gelson and gaitan struggled to adapt to simeones tactics like many attacking players seem to struggle at atletico. Gelson is currently at monaco and has been their best player in recent games where they have essentially saved themselves from relegation.

As far as i know william carvalho plays well for real betis
Nani and Anderson were massive disappointments due to not living up to their mega hype. Felt like a huge relief to most fans when they were sold.
Andre Gomes was the highest rated kid in Europe when Barcelona and Real Madrid went to war over who got to sign him. Many on redcafe felt we should be in for him also at the time.
William Carvalho was meant to be the new Viera. He's mostly irrelevant in the game today.
Gelson was another where the European Football media were almost guaranteeing that this kid was Portugals next world class winger. Suggesting he would cost 100 million even after only playing a mere 15 games at Sporting.
A Bola, Record and the Portuguese papers are very good when it comes to making false claims that Man Utd or City are in talks with one of their kids with a view to paying 100 million for them. This peaks up interest around Europe.

In saying that I think Felix might just be the real deal

Aloysius's Back 3

If we are really talking about not going for players from the Portuguese league due to some being flops then please please can we avoid dortmund players :(

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I would say Nani largely lived up to his potential. I mean he was no Ronaldo and he suffered in that comparison, but the comparison was unfair. He was mercurial, but if you look at his career as a whole it is littered with achievements, goals, assists etc. both a club level and at international level.

Anderson - yeah, fecked it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Felix is coming here I don't see him as our CAM - he is going to be our false nine and the upgraded competition for Lingard.

We play most our games with 2 strikers and a false nine much more than people seem to realise & that false nine position is something that may not be necessary to a lot of fans but might be to ole and how he wants to shape his attack.
We play with what we have. We can’t play an imaginary RW that isn’t available to us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Watched him today. 100mil?:lol::lol:. 20-30 mil max.
Annoyingly I didn’t watch the match as when I checked the lineup on Sky, I didn’t see his name. After reading your post just now I was confused and went back to check. Seems they had him down as Joao Sequiera :(

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Dani Olmo from Dinamo showed yesterday and throughout the season that he is the real deal. Felix needs to eat much more spinach.
Dani Olmo looks talented but he has no competition in Croatia. Felix for sure is the bigger talent.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Look absolutely sensational. Probably in the top 3 teenagers in world football along with De Ligt and Sancho. We should be looking to secure one of them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There's been so many kids from the Portuguese league in recent seasons that were meant to be the next big thing but never lived up to the hype.

Renato Sanches, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, Goncalo Guedes, Andre Gomes, Joao Mario..... Then Nani, Anderson and Gaitan before that.
And there are a lot of players from the English League who were labeled as the next big thing and never lived up to the hype.

SportingCP96

Supports
And there are a lot of players from the English League who were labeled as the next big thing and never lived up to the hype.
Ya but to be fair the most overhyped players in the world are English youth academy players.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wait until next week before saying that judgment. They have faced and beaten much bigger clubs then little Zagreb. I expect a 3-0 result next week.
Zagreb is not a little club, they produced a lot of good players during the years.

Regarding the tie its quite clear they have to play with their best players. And of course Félix is not worth 100 million euros.

I mean Vinicius or Paqueta were half of that price. But he is a talented player. I mean if we start judging players based on 1 performance we can go both ways. Has a good game is the next big thing, if plays a bad game it is a flop. Football doesn't work like that.

We should never take literally those price tags associated with Benfica or Gestifute players.

Trophy Room

He will be overpriced if we buy him just because of who we are. I cannot claim in anyway to have watched him regularly. His youtube videos though suggest he has intelligence and for me this is the most important predictor of longterm success.

SportingCP96

Supports
Zagreb is not a little club, they produced a lot of good players during the years.

Regarding the tie its quite clear they have to play with their best players. And of course Félix is not worth 100 million euros.

I mean Vinicius or Paqueta were half of that price. But he is a talented player. I mean if we start judging players based on 1 performance we can go both ways. Has a good game is the next big thing, if plays a bad game it is a flop. Football doesn't work like that.

We should never take literally those price tags associated with Benfica or Gestifute players.
Zagreb has produced many good players yes but they are little also in the context that they are irrelevant in European competitions as they usually lose 5-0 a game.

I was just responding to the comment saying Felix was not that good which he is though obviously not worth 100M. He is better then Dani Olmo though even though Olmo seems a talented player but the level of competition he is facing is segued Liga level.

On your last point I agree 100% as I said in a mother post Benfica players are very very very OVERhyped. Felix is the exception.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ya but to be fair the most overhyped players in the world are English youth academy players.
No they are producing a lot of great players. I only used that comparison because its easy to say players don't live to the hype, but its easy to see even if you don't fullfill what is the expectation another is to say those players mentioned had a bad carrer. We are talking about professional football.

The main problem this days is that with superagents propaganda, social and mass media there is a stupid tendency to overhype or destroy players based in one game or performance.

Its quite clear Benfica or Gestifute are doing a stupid thing that is to create unecessary noise to hype a player, who is really talented but of course its not worth that kind of money. You know how things work with them.

SportingCP96

Supports
No they are producing a lot of great players. I only used that comparison because its easy to say players don't live to the hype, but its easy to see even if you don't fullfill what is the expectation another is to say those players mentioned had a bad carrer. We are talking about professional football.

The main problem this days is that with superagents propaganda, social and mass media there is a stupid tendency to overhype or destroy players based in one game or performance.

Its quite clear Benfica or Gestifute are doing a stupid thing that is to create unecessary noise to hype a player, who is really talented but of course its not worth that kind of money. You know how things work with them.
Right now they have some interesting talent coming through. But I remember just a few years ago and even now still any player that comes through the academy is heralded as the next big thing and then they end up in the championship.

Devil may care

This thread is just like Sancho's after the Spurs game the other night, and Rashford's many times earlier in the season, hell his wouldn't have looked that pretty on Wednesday had he not scored that penalty. Young players have off games, so do seasoned ones for that matter, but people seem to ignore that.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Zagreb has produced many good players yes but they are little also in the context that they are irrelevant in European competitions as they usually lose 5-0 a game.
Not true no.

They are a club with history, they produced very good players at International Level during decades, and anyone who follows regularly Youth Football knows what I am talking about.

They deserve much more respect than being called a small club. We can't demand respect when clubs from the Portuguese League are called this or that because they aren't rich and using the same type of arrogance towards Croatian clubs or Football. I never do that. Football for me is more than money.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This thread is just like Sancho's after the Spurs game the other night, and Rashford's many times earlier in the season, hell his wouldn't have looked that pretty on Wednesday had he not scored that penalty. Young players have off games, so do seasoned ones for that matter, but people seem to ignore that.
Tbh I think I could have simplified my posts like you. There is simply a fast food tendency to hype or destroy players these days.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dani Olmo from Dinamo showed yesterday and throughout the season that he is the real deal. Felix needs to eat much more spinach.
Just watched some videos on this Olmo. Looks a talent, but didn’t strike me as the very top level. Maybe a Sevilla player or something.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nani and Anderson were massive disappointments due to not living up to their mega hype. Felt like a huge relief to most fans when they were sold.
Andre Gomes was the highest rated kid in Europe when Barcelona and Real Madrid went to war over who got to sign him. Many on redcafe felt we should be in for him also at the time.
William Carvalho was meant to be the new Viera. He's mostly irrelevant in the game today.
Gelson was another where the European Football media were almost guaranteeing that this kid was Portugals next world class winger. Suggesting he would cost 100 million even after only playing a mere 15 games at Sporting.
A Bola, Record and the Portuguese papers are very good when it comes to making false claims that Man Utd or City are in talks with one of their kids with a view to paying 100 million for them. This peaks up interest around Europe.

Do you know what professional football is?

Going into your line of thinking if a player isn't Ballon D'or material he is shit. Since when playing for Betis or Valencia or whatever is irrelevant?

Not for professional players I at least had the chance to know. And no Nani wasn't a failure, what was stupid was comparing him to Ronaldo. Where we do agree is that the stupid newspapers to sell or with agendas try to create stupid narratives with the next big things. But don't come and tell me this only happens in Portugal.

SportingCP96

Supports
Not true no.

They are a club with history, they produced very good players at International Level during decades, and anyone who follows regularly Youth Football knows what I am talking about.

They deserve much more respect than being called a small club. We can't demand respect when clubs from the Portuguese League are called this or that because they aren't rich and using the same type of arrogance towards Croatian clubs or Football. I never do that. Football for me is more than money.
I agree with everything you're saying what I am saying is if their is a CL draw or Europa League draw Zagreb would be one of the first teams you hope you get because it would be an easy 6 points with all due respect to them. Sadly football is run by money and Zagreb are in a much worse position then clubs in Portugal and have fallen to A VERY low level. The big 3 in Portugal are not easy to beat in Europe even by the giants and perform well. Porto, Benfica, Sporting when they were good and competent regularly put up a fight especially on home soil.

That is what I meant I know historically Zagreb are fantastic and have an amazing track record of producing world class talent. The truth is most clubs would want to face Zagreb in Europe.

SportingCP96

Supports

Nani Lived up his potential and was the best player in the best league in the world in 2010-11

William is a great CDM

Andre Gomes is average.

Gelson is 22 and doing good things right now.

Anderson was never that good you guys were fleeced.

SportingCP96

Supports
Just watched some videos on this Olmo. Looks a talent, but didn’t strike me as the very top level. Maybe a Sevilla player or something.
He needs to leave Zagreb now he can't develop anymore playing their.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nani Lived up his potential and was the best player in the best league in the world in 2010-11

William is a great CDM

Andre Gomes is average.

William isn't consistent i give on that, but the stupid thing is that he never was called the next Vieira.

Anyway, there are a lot of countries where there's hype. But I have to agree Record or a Bola with Gestifute propaganda create this stupid scenarios where we have to read moronic things if a player plays for Sevilla, Valencia or Betis is shit.

Most professional players never reach that level.

Would be hilarious if they are knocked out by Zagreb. And they are creating additional pressure for the kid with that stupid propaganda.

Dani Olmo is a a geat talent, but he is 1½ years older and has played top level football for 2 seasons now compared to João Félix' half season. I don't even see why the two need to be compared at all. Just be happy you utterly fleeced Barça in that Halilović deal. :lol:

From what I've seen of João Félix, he seems to have the x-factor.

SportingCP96

Supports
William isn't consistent i give on that, but the stupid thing is that he never was called the next Vieira.

Anyway, there are a lot of countries where there's hype. But I have to agree Record or a Bola with Gestifute propaganda create this stupid scenarios where we have to read moronic things if a player plays for Sevilla, Valencia or Betis is shit.

Most professional players never reach that level.

Would be hilarious if they are knocked out by Zagreb. And they are creating additional pressure for the kid with that stupid propaganda.
Oh believe me I hope Benfica get knocked out. But at home I don't see them losing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I watch quite a bit of Benfica and I likes what I sees.

SportingCP96

Supports
Dani Olmo is a a geat talent, but he is 1½ years older and has played top level football for 2 seasons now compared to João Félix' half season. I don't even see why the two need to be compared at all. Just be happy you utterly fleeced Barça in that Halilović deal. :lol:

From what I've seen of João Félix, he seems to have the x-factor.
Halilovic is yet another player like Odegaard who made the wrong career choice. These kids were never going to start for those clubs. They need to go to springboard clubs like the Dutch and Portuguese Mid tier club in Europe who go far in Europe and compete in their domestic league and give young players time to grow. I truly don't understand these kids who go to Barca and real at a young age. They are essentially throwing away their careers.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Oh believe me I hope Benfica get knocked out. But at home I don't see them losing.
I won't lie. I am a Dinamo Zagreb fan since I was born. In fact there are no Croatian posters here that are more Zagrebian than me. And Dani Olmo for me is the next Pelé. If he scores one goal against them he should be sold by 200 million.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Halilovic is yet another player like Odegaard who made the wrong career choice. These kids were never going to start for those clubs. They need to go to springboard clubs like the Dutch and Portuguese Mid tier club in Europe who go far in Europe and compete in their domestic league and give young players time to grow. I truly don't understand these kids who go to Barca and real at a young age. They are essentially throwing away their careers.
I really like him as player so it's a shame to see him stagnate. I used to watch Las Palmas a lot for Jonathan Viera and Halilovic was really coming into his own there. Then he went to Milan and stagnated again.

SportingCP96

Supports
I won't lie. I am a Dinamo Zagreb fan since I was born. In fact there are no Croatian posters here that are more Zagrebian than me. And Dani Olmo for me is the next Pelé. If he scores one goal against them he should be sold by 200 million.
:lol::lol::lol: In Zagreb we trust!

SportingCP96

Supports
I really like him as player so it's a shame to see him stagnate. I used to watch Las Palmas a lot for Jonathan Viera and Halilovic was really coming into his own there. Then he went to Milan and stagnated again.
They try to run before they can walk. At a club like Ajax or PSV or Benfica or Sporting they would take their game to another level AND THEN make a move to European giants. These guys go backwards. At 18 go to Barca and by 23 are playing in Standard Liege.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
:lol::lol::lol: In Zagreb we trust!
To not derail this thread I am curious if they will play him Monday and then next Thursday, can't say I watched the game closely enough, but I don't know if the kid is used to this rythm, its only his first professional season. And without their best 11 I won't be surprised if they are knocked out. Zagreb only needs to score once.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Between all the Callum Hudson Odoi (which makes sense with his contract situation) and Jadon Sancho talks (which make less sense with his), why aren't more people talking about Joao Felix? The kid looks at least as talented and dangerous as those other two. I've only caught a couple of his games and he always stood out to me, he reminds me of Kaka a bit. For me, he's as talented as the other two and even though Benefica is working on upping his 120M release clause, he's someone I would go all out for this summer.

How does he compare for our Portugese posters compared to those other two?

deadrevelz

William is a great CDM

Andre Gomes is average.

He was considered the best Brazilian player of his generation at one point. :lol:

deadrevelz

Between all the Callum Hudson Odoi (which makes sense with his contract situation) and Jadon Sancho talks (which make less sense with his), why aren't more people talking about Joao Felix? The kid looks at least as talented and dangerous as those other two. I've only caught a couple of his games and he always stood out to me, he reminds me of Kaka a bit. For me, he's as talented as the other two and even though Benefica is working on upping his 120M release clause, he's someone I would go all out for this summer.

There's been a lot of talk about him, but he's not a clear option for right wing unlike Sancho. Also he looks more lightweight and has said he feels his best football will come in Spain I think, maybe implying PL football isn't his aim.

Aloysius's Back 3

I think there is a big chance we get this guy or atleast put him down as an option.

Even if its not his main tactic - ole needs a false 9 to get our current forwards to combine well in a lot of his games.

His options are Martial in false 9, Sancho as a creative wide drifting false 9 much like how Lingard plays & makes his runs or Felix as a traditional false 9.

Charles Miller

He was considered the best Brazilian player of his generation at one point. :lol:
Eh? Who said that? In his time the Brazilian nt had Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Juninho Pernambucano, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Kaka, Adriano, Ronaldo and many other who were not even called. He was never the best Brazilian player.