Joe Hugill | on loan to Burton

Sea-Cow

A Peter Crouch clone. I wonder if he will bag a goddess later in life as well.

Red-17

Really impressed by him in the second half of the U23 game today. Hold up play is really solid and he set up the goal perfectly. Still a lot of room for him to develop physically too which is always a good sign. Only just turned 17!

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
What a lad he is turning out to be. Excited about his future at United.

Just scored 2 for the U18s

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cross between Kane Haaland and McBurnie

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's weird because his technique doesn't look anything special but he has power, decent pace, incredible finishing ability, and, weirdly for a kid of his age, superb vision and decision making.

Ekeke

Still reminds me most of Will Keane. Far more than some of the top strikers in world football. We'll see how he goes

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Still reminds me most of Will Keane. Far more than some of the top strikers in world football. We'll see how he goes
I agree. Lets hope he at least avoid the injuries Will Keane had.

According to TM Will Keane lost three years of football due to injuries between 2012 and 2018. And I think they have left out quite a few groin injuries.

Ekeke

According to TM Will Keane lost three years of football due to injuries between 2012 and 2018. And I think they have left out quite a few groin injuries.
Yeah I'm obviously talking about the Will Keane that could have been rather than the one who had too many injuries.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
He really has an eye for goal, if he keeps this up for the rest of the season it's time to start getting excited.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Yeah I'm obviously talking about the Will Keane that could have been rather than the one who had too many injuries.
Will Keane was such a strange one, looked fantastic then got so many injuries - he got his chance in the first team under LVG and then got injured straight away - then Martial got injured and it gave Rashford his chance... the rest is history.

Will Keane must be kicking himself as Micheal Keane has gone onto have a good career and Will was the more talented IMO

NFM

Will Keane was such a strange one, looked fantastic then got so many injuries - he got his chance in the first team under LVG and then got injured straight away - then Martial got injured and it gave Rashford his chance... the rest is history.

Will Keane must be kicking himself as Micheal Keane has gone onto have a good career and Will was the more talented IMO
Keane was capped at U-23 level at 18. He was generally regarded ( not just at United) as better than Kane at that time. Along with Morrison, two potentially great talents lost to the club from the same youth team.

lysglimt

Scout
Keane was capped at U-23 level at 18. He was generally regarded ( not just at United) as better than Kane at that time. Along with Morrison, two potentially great talents lost to the club from the same youth team.
Will Keane was brilliant - on his day he was unstoppable. I remember he scored 4 against City in a match once, he simply was too good. He was one of the biggest talents in the team that won the FA Youth Cup in 2011 - and that was perhaps the 2nd most successful team in modern FA Youth Cup history. If you look at the 14 players in our final. Every single player has played matches at a fairly high level, 6 played regularly in Serie A or in the P.L and they have played a total of over 1500 league matches (at the age of 27/28)

Sam Johnstone (181 matches Championship, 7 P.L)
Sean McGinty (49 matches Scottish Championship)
Tom Thorpe (1 P.L - 15 Championship) - but struggled a lot with injuries
Michael Keane (203 P.L - 12 caps for England)
Michele Fornasier (127 matches in Serie B and A)
Ryan Tunnicliffe (2 matches P.L - 160 in the Championship)
Jesse Lingard (133 matches P.L - 24 caps for England)
Paul Pogba (124 matches serie A - 115 P.L - 74 caps for France)
Ravel Morrison (18 in P.L - 58 in the Championship)
Will Keane (7 in P.L - 75 in the Championship)
Gyliano van Velzen (41 matches in the Eeresdivisie, 81 in the Eerste Divisie)

Larnell Cole (32 matches in the Championship)
Tyler Blackett (3 in P.L - 113 matches in the Championship)
John Cofie (24 matches in League 1)

Oh and there was a player on the opposing side who did fairly well for himself as well! :)

Utdstar01

Will Keane was brilliant - on his day he was unstoppable. I remember he scored 4 against City in a match once, he simply was too good. He was one of the biggest talents in the team that won the FA Youth Cup in 2011 - and that was perhaps the 2nd most successful team in modern FA Youth Cup history. If you look at the 14 players in our final. Every single player has played matches at a fairly high level, 6 played regularly in Serie A or in the P.L and they have played a total of over 1500 league matches (at the age of 27/28)

Oh and there was a player on the opposing side who did fairly well for himself as well! :)
Wasn't that Wilson?

Drainy

Not a bad youth team that!

I did genuinely think both Keane brothers would end up being United regulars.

Shame about injuries for Will (2 cruciates is brutal)
Shame about Van Gaal being awful with squad management for Michael (he'd probably be a regular for us now and potentially we wouldn't have spent £80m on a centre back)

But its always good to remember that anything can happen that causes a career to go in a different direction even to very promising players.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Shame about Van Gaal being awful with squad management for Michael (he'd probably be a regular for us now and potentially we wouldn't have spent £80m on a centre back)
Keane has looked really good this season. I think he has improved a few percent every year and that he is finally reached his peak. I think that is due to getting minutes regularly, and I’m not sure he would at Man Utd. (Maybe he would due to our low level, but he probably should not.)

He has played close to 30 000 minutes of senior football now. I’m really happy for him, and at this point he would have been a great player for us.

All that being said, I must say that I think it is very difficult for Man Utd to develop young central defenders. Very few is naturally talented enough to compensate for lack of experience and the importance of experience at CB. Then we fail to give them this type of experience. And when they struggle the pressure and scrutiny of playing at Man Utd could really hurt them. Just look at Evans (he came good when he left) or Jones.

As a result, I think we should give our young CB talents loans or, worst case, sell with buy back-clause. The last year or so have done very little for Tuanzebe. (Injury has been part of that obviously.)

I also think we should buy young talents at 24-25 with lots of minutes under their belt. Like we did with Rio, Pallister, Bruce, Stam and Vidic. Or even Maguire.

Drainy

Keane has looked really good this season. I think he has improved a few percent every year and that he is finally reached his peak. I think that is due to getting minutes regularly, and I’m not sure he would at Man Utd. (Maybe he would due to our low level, but he probably should not.)

He has played close to 30 000 minutes of senior football now. I’m really happy for him, and at this point he would have been a great player for us.

All that being said, I must say that I think it is very difficult for Man Utd to develop young central defenders. Very few is naturally talented enough to compensate for lack of experience and the importance of experience at CB. Then we fail to give them this type of experience. And when they struggle the pressure and scrutiny of playing at Man Utd could really hurt them. Just look at Evans (he came good when he left) or Jones.

As a result, I think we should give our young CB talents loans or, worst case, sell with buy back-clause. The last year or so have done very little for Tuanzebe. (Injury has been part of that obviously.)

I also think we should buy young talents at 24-25 with lots of minutes under their belt. Like we did with Rio, Pallister, Bruce, Stam and Vidic. Or even Maguire.
Van Gaal drained the morale out of the squad then threw a fit and got rid of two defenders who should have had a future here in favour of someone who is not United quality at all.

How anyone can get rid of Jonny Evans and Michael Keane for Marcos Rojo is beyond me.

He was a shit manager who we are still recovering from.

khoazany

Agree. He reminds me of the youth team's Will Keane, perhaps a little more awkward looking. Maybe we can actually get this kind of player to the first team this time instead of wondering "what could have been" with Keane.

We don't really need Michael but I do think he'll be useful if we have him in the current squad.

Number32

Van Gaal had put a buy back clause, so we could got him back for cheaper price. Mourinho refused to trigger that clause, and bought Lindelof and Baily instead of him. Even if Mourinho was choosing him, we still end up buying Maguire as we need to replace 4 CBs.

lysglimt

Scout
Van Gaal drained the morale out of the squad then threw a fit and got rid of two defenders who should have had a future here in favour of someone who is not United quality at all.

How anyone can get rid of Jonny Evans and Michael Keane for Marcos Rojo is beyond me.

He was a shit manager who we are still recovering from.
Not to mentioning- trading Nani for Rojo and paying extra in addition

laughtersassassin

How's Charlie McNiel doing compared to Hugill?

Interesting that all the hype was for him. But that was probably based off the fake goal stat

voyasvirta

How's Charlie McNiel doing compared to Hugill?

Interesting that all the hype was for him. But that was probably based off the fake goal stat
McNeill has now scored 6 goals for the u18's. He's a good finisher and has good movement too. While Hugill is more of a traditional striker in the mold of Haaland, McNeill loves to move into the channels to create chances for him and other team-mates. People got unreasonably excited due to the 600 goals thing but has definitely done alright till now.
Poor kid had Liam Delap in front of him at Man City and now has Joe Hugill at United.

arthurka

Always get him mixed up with the Utd kid that came from City. McNeil is his name so apparently not the same kid.

But this kid is looking really exciting.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
'Smokin Joe Hugill' for me shouldn't go out on loan yet for another season. He's still too young and would likely be mismanaged on loan IMO.

Bertie Wooster

I quite like the look of Hugill - and you certainly can't find fault with his stats so far this season.

My biggest worry about him for the top level is his lack of pace - and his lack of versatility in being an old fashioned #9 at a time when it's mostly out of fashion.

However he's not the type of tall striker who only dominates at youth level just because of his height, and is then completely exposed against equally tall senior players. He's also got good touch, mobility, and finishing ability - so links up well and scores with his feet as well as his head and, at the right level, in a team that plays with a traditional #9, he has the potential to make it in the senior game.

But his lack of pace and versatility does make it harder for him to make it at a top team, compared to the likes of Greenwood and Rashford. You have to be really special - like Berbatov, Kane, etc - to establish yourself as a #9 at those levels without pace.

Reactions: Invictus