Joe Hugill | on loan to Burton

Vissy

Another forward? Why would any young forward come to united at this time when Mason Greenwood is already here. Or why would the academy even be looking for one. Is this because our U23s are always lacking a proper forward?

Dave_MUFC

Another forward? Why would any young forward come to united at this time when Mason Greenwood is already here. Or why would the academy even be looking for one. Is this because our U23s are always lacking a proper forward?
This would just be for the reserves for the time being, and Mason is now part of the first team squad, so don't think he will take up much space in the younger levels.

Apart from Mason, there's not really any other strikers within this age bracket who has broken into the first team, so it's still a decent option, especially moving from Sunderland.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So our academy is meant to sign no forwards because of Greenwood, who doesn’t play in the academy? :houllier: Just think about that for a second.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Because he gets to learn at one of the best academies in the world, train with some of the best players in the world, get paid a truck load of cash, and maybe play for Manchester United one day, possibly even alongside one Mason Greenwood?

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Born in Durham, Hugill is regarded as one of the most talented players to emerge from the club's 'Academy of Light' programme, which has developed Jordan Pickford, Josh Maja and Conor Hourihane.

There's one thing that Hugill guarantees, and that is goals. He bagged a hat-trick for Sunderland's Under-18 side in an FA Youth Cup tie against Shrewsbury in November and having consistently found the net at U18 level, he was promoted to the U23s.

Despite the sizeable age gap to his more senior opponents, it didn't take long for Hugill to make his mark. He netted a brace against in a 4-2 defeat against Premier League 2 leaders West Ham back in February, which seemed to alert scouts to his ability.

Playing style

One of the reasons why Hugill was able to slot into the U23 side so comfortably is his physical attributes.

Standing at 6'2" with a slender frame, Hugill has an obvious height advantage against most players in his age group and therefore poses a tangible aerial threat to defenders he comes up against.

Strikers of a larger build are often (unfairly) criticised for their perceived lack of technical skills or pace. But the Sunderland prospect is blessed with a strong left foot and displayed his skillset with a stunning lob in the U23 defeat against West Ham.

While it is too early to make comparisons, the intelligent run in behind and composed finish suggested that Hugill could eventually develop into a cultured player.

Will he move?
A coach who has worked closely with Hugill is Sunderland U23s manager Elliott Dickman, who delivered his verdict on the young striker.
"He is showing good progress and I think he will be back with the U18s for now, but I am sure he will be with us again," he said.

“If he keeps doing what he is doing, he will definitely get a taste of U23s football again. But at the same time, we have to make sure we look after Joe. We can’t push him too quickly, but the signs are there that he has good potential.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Nicky Butt and Michael Carrick have already seen Hugill in action while watching Man United's U18s take on Sunderland last year, and reports suggest United are one of three clubs interested in striking a deal for the wonderkid.

However, Hugill is a self-proclaimed Sunderland fan "for life" and may prefer to stay at the Stadium of Light for a few more years to continue his progression.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We've been doing some commendable work at the youth levels so hope this is another addition in line with that.

Bondi77

Congrats to the young man.
Hope he achieves his dreams at OT.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Looks like a done deal now

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure how Hugill, Emeran and Mejia are going to work in the 18s next season. Injury has robbed Emeran and Mejia of an entire season near enough, was hoping they would get going next term.

Mark Pawelek

Why come here? Because United showed in Rashford and Greenwood they have a youth development system which can develop great forwards. So unless the prospective forward thinks he's already arrived, he'll want to get the best coaching.
Why bring in another? United are thinking of bringing in another forward for £120m. So how about 'saving money' as a motive?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why come here? Because United showed in Rashford and Greenwood they have a youth development system which can develop great forwards. So unless the prospective forward thinks he's already arrived, he'll want to get the best coaching.
Why bring in another? United are thinking of bringing in another forward for £120m. So how about 'saving money' as a motive?
Also he seems like a striker that is different to what we already have at the club.

Red00012

So if we have young strikers that are in the 1st team we don’t sign any underage talent ? Your post makes zero sense.

0le

For a football education, the opportunity to work with a higher calibre of player and facilities and the possibility of playing first team football for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

In Rainbows

So that's

Hoogewerf, Shoretire, Mejia, Emeran, Mcneil, Hugill, Hansen-Aaroen, Odubeko, Sotona, and Elanga?

In Rainbows

Odubeko is gone.
I don't know why I left that there. I meant to erase it in the middle of thinking of names, but I forgot and hit post.

As for fitting all these forwards, I think United are banking on just the increase in matches next season. The Carabao is supposed to fit in between the CL and PL matches. I'm guessing we'll use our u23 side for it. We're in the EFL competition (4 matches+potential knockouts) against League 1/2 sides. If we get CL, we'll also have uefa youth league for the u19s.

So

u18 league
fa youth cup
u19 uefa youth league (6 matches+knockouts)
u23 league
EFL competition (4 matches+knockouts)
Carabao Cup

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I don't know why I left that there. I meant to erase it in the middle of thinking of names, but I forgot and hit post.

As for fitting all these forwards, I think United are banking on just the increase in matches next season. The Carabao is supposed to fit in between the CL and PL matches. I'm guessing we'll use our u23 side for it. We're in the EFL competition (4 matches+potential knockouts) against League 1/2 sides. If we get CL, we'll also have uefa youth league for the u19s.

So

u18 league
fa youth cup
u19 uefa youth league (6 matches+knockouts)
u23 league
EFL competition (4 matches+knockouts)
Carabao Cup
Plus PL U/18 Cup...there will be plenty of games for players who perform.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Look at the size of those shoulders. He's certainly not one of those small framed-tall guys.

khoazany

We will probably will play him permanently in the U23s now and let Mejia and McNeill play upfront for the 18s.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
6'4 Håland would be much better if he was 6'2 in fairness...