Joe Montana..The Man..The Legend

manufanatic

"crazy"
kennyj said:
I can see the comparison, but Roger was never as quick to run as Young and Young could never compare to Staubach in the last two minutes of a game. Roger was a better QB than Young.

I see from the dallas contigent that leaving off the Old Navy guy staubach has caused some consternation. I was watching football at that time and Staubach was a good/great qb but he had the best defense in the NFC and Tony D Calvin Hill Drew Person Tony Hill and many other great players around him. The list is subjective. On the whole I could take brady off because he only has played 5 years but Its much like the top running backs of all time. Sayers would be on anyones top ten list and he played only 6 years.

Tark deserves to be on it period! You know in fact I think I would put bert Jones on there before Staubach :cool:

manufanatic

"crazy"
manufanatic said:
I see from the dallas contigent that leaving off the Old Navy guy staubach has caused some consternation. I was watching football at that time and Staubach was a good/great qb but he had the best defense in the NFC and Tony D Calvin Hill Drew Person Tony Hill and many other great players around him. The list is subjective. On the whole I could take brady off because he only has played 5 years but Its much like the top running backs of all time. Sayers would be on anyones top ten list and he played only 6 years.

Tark deserves to be on it period! You know in fact I think I would put bert Jones on there before Staubach :cool:
and david woodley, Don strock, steve Grogan, Jim Kelly, Charlie Ward :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
This thread has turned up some questionable posts. But when someone says David Woodley or Don Struck above Staubach, that person loses all credibility. Charlie Ward even being mentioned as a football player confirms the previous poster as an idiot.

MrMarcello

manufanatic said:
I see from the dallas contigent that leaving off the Old Navy guy staubach has caused some consternation.
I must have pissed off the 3 Minnesota Vikings fans on earth...and you happened to be one of the three. Sorry.

MrMarcello

How about top 3 by decade (in no particular order)?

60s: Starr, Unitas, Dawson
70s: Staubach, Bradshaw, Tarkenton
80s: Marino, Montana, Fouts
90s: Young, Favre, Elway
current: McNabb, Brady, Manning

manufanatic

"crazy"
MrMarcello said:
This thread has turned up some questionable posts. But when someone says David Woodley or Don Struck above Staubach, that person loses all credibility. Charlie Ward even being mentioned as a football player confirms the previous poster as an idiot.
Apparently you missed the laughing out loud face after those picks. I am not a minnesota fan never have been. I grew up a dolphins fan watching Griese Warfield morris Kick LARRY Z.

It just goes to show some folks (specially those cowboys) cant take a joke. Im sure R, found the humor i was trying to invoke

MrMarcello

Had your first post stated these other QBs, anyone could have easily have shrugged it off as a joke. But when it was in response to a few other persons saluting Staubach it is perceived not as a joke.

Bert Jones? That's a laugh. I'd take John Brodie over him.

manufanatic

"crazy"
manufanatic said:
Apparently you missed the laughing out loud face after those picks. I am not a minnesota fan never have been. I grew up a dolphins fan watching Griese Warfield morris Kick LARRY Z.

It just goes to show some folks (specially those cowboys) cant take a joke. Im sure R, found the humor i was trying to invoke

On a more serious note since you were only 1 when Sir Roger and the Boys beat denver in the superbowl how can you honestly comment on his worth. Regardless this was a thread about Montana who is miles ahead of staubach.

manufanatic

"crazy"
MrMarcello said:
Had your first post stated these other QBs, anyone could have easily have shrugged it off as a joke. But when it was in response to a few other persons saluting Staubach it is perceived not as a joke.

Bert Jones? That's a laugh. I'd take John Brodie over him.

The difference Marcello is I actually saw some of these guys play live and in person where you have to rely on NFL Films. Lets be honest here You like Dallas and therefore you rate Staubach highly fair enough. I like the Dolphins and Marino is ranked high on my list. Truce?

MrMarcello

manufanatic said:
On a more serious note since you were only 1 when Sir Roger and the Boys beat denver in the superbowl how can you honestly comment on his worth. [QOUTE] Living within 30 miles of Texas Stadium and growing up in family full of Cowboys fans, I learned of Staubach and I have watched old footage of him and read of all the stories from teammates and opponents. Many will say he was in the top 3 or 4 QBs to ever play the game.

[QOUTE] Regardless this was a thread about Montana who is miles ahead of staubach.
Miles ahead :lol: ...are you really a football fan or just anti-Cowboy? Both are great QBs, but Montana is not "miles ahead" of Staubach. If that's the case, Staubach would be light years ahead of Griese.

MrMarcello

My list has Marino ranked very high as I consider him the greatest drop back, classic style QB. In fact, had he played in Dallas or SF or NYG, he'd won multiple SBs.

manufanatic

"crazy"
MrMarcello said:
Miles ahead :lol: ...are you really a football fan or just anti-Cowboy? Both are great QBs, but Montana is not "miles ahead" of Staubach. If that's the case, Staubach would be light years ahead of Griese.

Yes I am a football Fan, I respect Rodger Dodger but I listed my top ten based on what I percieved watching all of those QBs over time. Once again I was joking when I added David Woodley Don Strock and Charlie ward and Bert Jones. During Roger's run in dallas i was a true football fanatic and I hated the cowboys and CBS (Cowboys broadcasting system). Am I biased? Maybe but we all are. If you look at my list I dont have Marino as high as almost every other Miami Dolphin fan. I look at Championships and team Leadership as the most important factor in QB. Thats why Unitas Starr Montana Elway and Bradshaw are all ahead of Marino. Otto Graham would be too but All can I do is list him and his 10 championships because I never saw him play.

So again I ask for a truce almighty Cowboy. It seems everytime we beat you guys on thanksgiving we dont make the playoffs.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
MrMarcello said:
Don't be daft Marcello. Montana is the best ever. Starback is a few floors beneath the penthouse.

kennyj

manufanatic said:
I see from the dallas contigent that leaving off the Old Navy guy staubach has caused some consternation.
Its much like the top running backs of all time. Sayers would be on anyones top ten list and he played only 6 years.
I'm a Jet fan not a Cowboy fan and you don't see me putting Joe Willie on the list. Bert Jones was nowhere near the QB Staubach was. Staubach really deserves to be way up there in the top 10. I don't know where people are getting Tarkenton from. There were quite a few better QBs around at the time.

Lenny Dawson doesn't belong on any of those lists either. He was playing in the AFL and it doesn't quite count the same.

Montana, Unitas, Elway, Starr, and Staubach were all in a separate class. Otto Graham may have been in that class also from what I've heard. Then came Marino and Bradshaw. Stabler was a notch below. Then comes a whole bunch like Sonny Jurgenson, Favre and a couple of others, but not Tarkenton, Fouts or Young. Of those three, Fouts would rate the highest. Young was the second best QB on his own team for much of his career so I can't really put him up there with the best, but he's still miles ahead of Tarkenton.

Gayle Sayers had a couple of the greatest seasons in the NFL and was a great runner for a couple of years. But he can't be listed with Jim Brown, OJ, Dickerson and Barry Sanders because he didn't play effectively long enough.

manufanatic

"crazy"
kennyj said:
I'm a Jet fan not a Cowboy fan and you don't see me putting Joe Willie on the list. Bert Jones was nowhere near the QB Staubach was. Staubach really deserves to be way up there in the top 10. I don't know where people are getting Tarkenton from. There were quite a few better QBs around at the time.

Lenny Dawson doesn't belong on any of those lists either. He was playing in the AFL and it doesn't quite count the same.

Montana, Unitas, Elway, Starr, and Staubach were all in a separate class. Otto Graham may have been in that class also from what I've heard. Then came Marino and Bradshaw. Stabler was a notch below. Then comes a whole bunch like Sonny Jurgenson, Favre and a couple of others, but not Tarkenton, Fouts or Young. Of those three, Fouts would rate the highest. Young was the second best QB on his own team for much of his career so I can't really put him up there with the best, but he's still miles ahead of Tarkenton.

Gayle Sayers had a couple of the greatest seasons in the NFL and was a great runner for a couple of years. But he can't be listed with Jim Brown, OJ, Dickerson and Barry Sanders because he didn't play effectively long enough.

The bert Jones take was a JOKE.

Tarkenton should be on the list period!

This thread evolved into a top ten list on qbs so when I placed Brady just outside the top 10 I was questioned based on his lack of time in the NFL. Fair enough I chose to bring up the Fact Gayle Sayers who is on everyones top ten list for RBs only played 6. Shoot me but GS was the best running back I have ever seen including Barry (I quit in my prime) Sanders. To list Dickerson above him is ludicrous

However as always YMMV

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The greatest running back ?

Brown and Payton are one and two - after that the arguements start...

MrMarcello

I'm a diehard Cowboys fan and Emmitt Smith is a great RB, but Brown and Payton are the best ever. Then the likes of Smith, OJ, Barry, Sayers, Dickerson (mid-to-late 80s form), Dorsett, Thomas, and Campbell round out the top 10, in no particular order.

Terrell Davis would have eventually worked his way into the top 10 if not for the injuries. Some could argue that Sayers should not be in this list as he played 7 seasons. You could throw Taylor, Riggins, or Harris in his place.

manufanatic

"crazy"
Raoul said:
The greatest running back ?

Brown and Payton are one and two - after that the arguements start...

Raoul Help me out with Marcello. Im not saying that Brown and Payton arent the all time best. But putting riggins ahead of Gayle Sayers is :nono:

If i had to list them in no particular order

Payton
Brown
Marion Motley
Gayle Sayers
Barry Sanders
Tony Dorsett
Emit Smith
Bronko Nigurski
Jim Taylor
OJ Simpson

It hurts me to put two cowboys there but each were great in there own way.

My Point is this Gayle Sayers was the Greatest (RUNNING) back I ever saw, Better the Barry better then Emit Better then Franco Better then Tony D and he did it like Barry with one of the worst Offensive lines in history Seems the Bears have that problem because Walter faced it for many years as well.

The list is subjective and I am certainly biased toward Gayle Sayers but he is on everyones top ten list

Everyone = those inducted into the hall of fame

MrMarcello

Stop looking for someway to argue with me. I never said Sayers is not top 10. I merely said someone could argue about his inclusion due to limited season and suggested 3 bonafide RBs (all HOFers) who are just outside the top 10 (IMO).

manufanatic

"crazy"
MrMarcello said:
Stop looking for someway to argue with me. I never said Sayers is not top 10. I merely said someone could argue about his inclusion due to limited season and suggested 3 bonafide RBs (all HOFers) who are just outside the top 10 (IMO).

I wasnt looking for anything. Just reiterating my position
:devil:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've followed Emmitts career since he was a senior in HS. He is probably one of the state of Florida's best ever atheletes and a perfect example of someone who combined talent, desire, and work ethic to climb to the pinnacle of the game. He's also a first class guy. I've got a couple of friends who have met him and they tell me he's a first class down to earth kind of guy. He did of course have the benefit of playing behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history throughout his career in Dallas, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that he was one of the most durable, hard working back ever - and the consistency of his stats prove that. I'd definitely rate him in my top ten running backs ever.

One of my all time favourites is also Bo Jackson. He was unique, in that he had size to go along with a sprinters speed. If Gale Sayers had a short career and is included in the list, then Bo, whose hip injury and baseball career severely cut into his NFL time, should as well.

Dickerson was a swan on the field. He was very graceful and had the best vision of any running back during his 'era'.

There are so many - Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders...too many to name.

kennyj

manufanatic said:
The bert Jones take was a JOKE.

Tarkenton should be on the list period!

This thread evolved into a top ten list on qbs so when I placed Brady just outside the top 10 I was questioned based on his lack of time in the NFL. Fair enough I chose to bring up the Fact Gayle Sayers who is on everyones top ten list for RBs only played 6. Shoot me but GS was the best running back I have ever seen including Barry (I quit in my prime) Sanders. To list Dickerson above him is ludicrous

However as always YMMV
It's hard to if you are joking when uyou have Tarkenton on the list and not Staubach who is on everybody's top ten. Here's who I would put ahead of Tarkenton: Montana, Unitas, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Elway, Staubach, Marino, Sid Luckman, Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, and Bobby Layne. I admit I should rate Tarkenton ahead of Stabler, but Stabler was a personal favorite and Tarkenton was well known to be a real prick.

It's not ludicrous to list Dickerson ahead. The same list that you mentioned should have Dickerson on it too, maybe just a couple of notches below. Sayers was a great runner and could return kickoffs and punts too. But he only played six years and it's shows his greatness that he makes these lists after such a regrettably short career. I think that Jim Brown was the greatest runner, followed by Payton (who could block), Sanders and OJ (much as I hate to admit it). Sayers fits in after that, along with Dickerson and Campbell. If we were talking about who was best at his best, Sayers is next and right up there with those other guys. In terms of career, it's probably Dickerson. He holds some great records, including the season rushing record of over 2,100 yards, and finished his career with Colts, who had a terrible team. All of the runners mentioned above were pretty much unstoppable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Tarkenton is better known for doing Tony Robbins infomercials than his football.

MrMarcello

Even though I wasn't around then, IMO OJ's 2003 rushing yards in 1973 with an average OL and in a 14 game schedule, stands out as the single greatest individual season performance in NFL history.

His 1975 season was almost as great- 1817 rushing yards and 23 total TDs in 14 games.

manufanatic

"crazy"
MrMarcello said:
Even though I wasn't around then, IMO OJ's 2003 rushing yards in 1973 with an average OL and in a 14 game schedule, stands out as the single greatest individual season performance in NFL history.

His 1975 season was almost as great- 1817 rushing yards and 23 total TDs in 14 games.

no argument from me

kennyj

MrMarcello said:

And his games for USC against Notre Dame were amazing.