Joelson Fernandes- Sporting

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I was bored so figured I would make a thread on Joelson because his name has been in the media rumor mill none stop recently.

Joelson Fernandes has been heavily linked to Arsenal with the Gunners seemingly not wanting to let another young Sporting talent go as they hope to not make the same mistake as in the past. Joelson is one of the many youth players who were recently promoted to the first team under new coach Ruben Amorim. The others being Nuno Mendes, Eduardo Quaresma, and Matheus Nunes. Joelson is arguably considered the 1st or 2nd most talented out of this group with Nuno Mendes being the other (I personally think Mendes is the bigger talent albeit different positions). Joelson is the type of talent you normally see coming out of the famed Sporting academy as he is a quick flashy wingers who likes to take on his man 1 v 1. He has the dribbling ability and potential but I believe he is still very raw as the boy is only 17 years of age. As has been the norm with our young talents recently he is already getting his dead done in by his agent who is looking to get a big pay day for himself. In fact this whole saga reminds me a lot about Bruma when he broke through. Joelson and Sporting are at a stand still as they are trying to renew his contract but they are at a stand still as his agent try to muster up a move (though he claims not too). I believe at this moment it would be career suicide to make this move (If it happens) as he is still both too young and raw. He only recently made his first team debut coming off the bench in 4 games for a total minute accumulation of about 60-65 give or take. The boy is very talented but it is still too early to determine what his potential ceiling may be especially with attacking players. He needs a good run of first team minuted to determine more. He can play both the Left and Right wing but looks both more comfortable and dangerous coming from the left wing.

Nuno Mendes and Quaresma have more polished games at this time but they have had more consecutive minutes of first team football. As I said before of the 3 I would be very surprised if Nuno Mendes does not make it at the top level. He has ll the tools. If Joelson stays for this upcoming season I think we can see a real jump in development as he begins to fully break through in the first team. Sporting will have a very young team next season so that is something to look forward too. I will even throw another name in the talent pool that I am very fond of, Daniel Braganca. With all that being said Joelson is one of the biggest gems in our academy and he also has a younger brother Sana Fernandes who Is also in our academy and is highly touted.

Joelson Fernandes Pros and Cons and obligatory YouTube videos below:

Similarities: Bruma, Gelson Martins, with the upside of being a Nani level player.

PROS: Very quick and agile, dribbling and technical ability. Good reading of the attacking space to use his pace and get in behind. Good crossing ability but this can still improve to get better.

CONS: Needs to work on his finishing ability e.g heading, shooting. Very frail and needs to bulk up more (this naturally comes with age as he has just turned 17, 6 months ago).

First team action vs Porto

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fernandes from Sporting, I'm already sold on him. Class player.

Ace of Spades

As said before, he should stay for a few more years and gain experience. Still very young.

SportingCP96

Supports
As said before, he should stay for a few more years and gain experience. Still very young.
100%. Sadly his agent seems to be trying to aim for a big pay day for himself and jeopardize the boys career.

Ace of Spades

100%. Sadly his agent seems to be trying to aim for a big pay day for himself and jeopardize the boys career.
Yeah, it is sad as he will get to play more at Sporting, and the pressure at Arsenal is a lot more.

One of the reason that I am happy that we did not go for Nuno Mendes yet. We can always try in a year or two, and concentrate on other areas for now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yeah, it is sad as he will get to play more at Sporting, and the pressure at Arsenal is a lot more.

One of the reason that I am happy that we did not go for Nuno Mendes yet. We can always try in a year or two, and concentrate on other areas for now.
All these young players would be dumb to move.

Sporting is in shambles and don't have money which means these young kids will get there minutes to develop and grow as players.

Ace of Spades

All these young players would be dumb to move.

Sporting is in shambles and don't have money which means these young kids will get there minutes to develop and grow as players.
Yeah, at this stage playing time is important. If they are getting a chance to play in a club they are settled in, why move now. From your clubs perspective it makes no sense either, as these players will go for more money if they perform well in a season or two. If they have a few years left on their contracts, then your club should try to persuade them to stay and convince them that they will have a place in the team, and it is best for them to stay and play for you for now.

There is good talent coming from our academy as well, but not everyone can do a Greenwood. Some need more time, or have better players playing in front of them. My hope is that with the situation as it is, the academy players we loan hopefully get a lot of playing time at smaller clubs as they probably won't invest too heavily in new players.

Jibbs

The only sporting player who has really impressed me is their new goalkeeper Luis Maximiano. He looks like he has both attributes of young De Gea and Ederson. Some sporting fans can describe him further. Other than him, Nuno Mendes is another quality youngster who can develop into a world class attacking LB.

SportingCP96

Supports
The only sporting player who has really impressed me is their new goalkeeper Luis Maximiano. He looks like he has both attributes of young De Gea and Ederson. Some sporting fans can describe him further. Other than him, Nuno Mendes is another quality youngster who can develop into a world class attacking LB.
Personally I like Max. He reminds me of Rui Patricio when he started out for us, he makes some mistakes but I think he has been solid and can grow.

Sadly there are rumors of Adan being signed and I think it is stupid as it will hinder Max's development.

Jibbs

Personally I like Max. He reminds me of Rui Patricio when he started out for us, he makes some mistakes but I think he has been solid and can grow.

Sadly there are rumors of Adan being signed and I think it is stupid as it will hinder Max's development.
I think he needs to be developed for couple more years and sold to one of big european clubs.

SportingCP96

Supports
Looks like there was a breakthrough and he will be signing a 3 year extension with another 2 optional and he will have a 60M buyout clause.