John Motson's top-10 Premier League signings

Member 39557

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20468454

They're in no particular order (Although he did say he'd probably have Cantona at no1)

Cantona
Bergkamp
Henry
Lampard
Ronaldo
Shearer (to blackburn from the saints)
Ruud
Alonso
Drogba
Cech

So, Does anybody disagree with Motty?
I think it's a good list, they've all had an impact at their clubs, but there are probably one or two you could change about.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Wouldn't have Alonso in there.

Vidic was an incredible signing.

Member 39557

Alonso. Seems like the least prolific signing out of the lot.
He was in their FA Cup and Champions League sides though wasn't he. Although I guess he wasn't as influential as Gerrard.

I think you're right though, he'd be the first name off the list for me too.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Cech instead of someone like our great Dane?

other than that, it is a pretty good list I suppose.

nooshka

How can Rooney not be in there, he's well on course to becoming United's top goalscorer ever.

Traub

He did keep them up, but was he there long enough to make the list?
True. However, there probably a few players from 'lower' teams who kept their team in the league. I think those players are better signings.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
How can Rooney not be in there, he's well on course to becoming United's top goalscorer ever.
Agreed. If Drogba is there then so should Rooney, I'd have niether though because they were both big fees where you were buying a known star.

Vidic was for about £7million I think, incredible. Was best defender in the world for three seasons and worth about £40million!

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Seems like a list designed to include a number of premiership clubs whereas in reality it should probably be mostly United and Arsenal players.

Member 39557

True. However, there probably a few players from 'lower' teams who kept their team in the league. I think those players are better signings.
Fair point, I think we can probably blame the signing of James Beattie for still being stuck with Stoke in the Prem!

Member 39557

Seems like a list designed to include a number of premiership clubs whereas in reality it should probably be mostly United and Arsenal players.
In fairness, they've all won the premiership except for Alonso, and he won the CL. I don't think there's been too much spreading out.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wasn't particularly shrewd to sign him for 20m+ at age 18 when every other club wanted his signature as well. Don't think he's been any better than the ones on the list either apart from maybe Alonso and maybe Cech.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Seems like he is in there just becaus he played for Liverpool.

What about Tevez for West Ham?
Tevez played less than 30 league games for West Ham. What that list has in common is that all the players were at their clubs for quite some time and contributed a lot each season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Vidic would be another good shout for us, as would VDS when you consider the amount he was signed for. Vieira could possibly be another inclusion for Arsenal.

204Red

If Shearer is there for going from Southhampton to Blackburn (a believe a record fee at the time)... then surely Keane going from Notts Forrest to United had a much greater impact in terms of trophies won by that team.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
That's the CL though and has no impact on the PL.
I would argue that he did impact PL quite a bit whilst playing for us though :) Still, we bought him during the age of the Premier League thus being one of the great buys of the PL-era (in my opinion obviously)

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
In fairness, they've all won the premiership except for Alonso, and he won the CL. I don't think there's been too much spreading out.
I just feel the likes of Vieira, Keane etc deserve it over Cech (not as good post injury), drogba (brilliant but not quite at the same level) and Alonso (who at one point Liverpool were desperate to sell).

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If Shearer is there for going from Southhampton to Blackburn (a believe a record fee at the time)... then surely Keane going from Notts Forrest to United had a much greater impact in terms of trophies won by that team.
True and like with Rooney, everyone wanted Shearer when he signed for Blackburn.

Surprised Keane and Vieira were missed out in favour of Alonso to be honest. I can understand Cech being there almost as you could do with a keeper in the list I suppose and I can't really think of one that stands out far ahead of Cech.