John Murtough Sack Watch

hobbers

First thing we should do after this is pop this louse his p45 in the post.

Maybe gift him Antony as a leaving present.

Idxomer

I never thought United could have a worse squad than the one at the end of 21/22 but here we are.

Tony247

Messed up player recruitments and the club went 10 steps backward than last year.

sammyhol

Anyone who thinks these signings don’t have the managers fingerprints all over them is in dream world.

Murtough is a token position to placate the fans so it looks like we have a football structure.

Until player recruitment is taken completely out of the hands of the manager, we are just gonna keep going round and round in circles.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agreed. Getting that one right would dwarf the issue of the experience of the DOF.
I fear that many underestimate the magnitude of the job at hand. We need someone to step in and rebuild the whole football structure from scratch. That stretch from scouting, recruitment, fitness regimen and getting the right people in like players and manager. That must be done under the biggest spotlight in the world, with the majority owner not giving a feck about football and with huge characters still at the club who seem not liking having people dictating what the manager should do. If reports about INEOS are right then there are set to change the entire structure ie a new CEO, a sporting director and possibly a DOF/Head of recruitment. all of whom with previous experience in the job. That's just the very beginning. Thus even INEOS believe that the job is massive let alone one that can be done by someone within the club's ranks with no previous experience in the job.

For the record that's what I wanted in the first place. Will that be a success? There's no guarantee about that. However its certainly better then a former PWC employee with no football experience as CEO, a DOF with no previous experience in the role who got the job because Woodward took a liking at him and someone from Adidas who had never been involved in football transfers doing transfer negotiations.

Yakuza_devils

This guy has been Ed's right hand man in football for many years. He got to the helm of the football side because of his relationship with Glazer/Ed/Arnold. His inexperience in the roles really is so obvious. It's actually harder to fail so bad with the resources we have than success.

1. Appoint Rangnick as manager then sack him as adviser
2. Appoint a manager who is known be bad in signing players and let him take the lead in signings.
3. There is no set style of play
4. Players transfer fees and wages are a joke in world football. Antony, Onana, Casemeiro, Mount, Hojlund, and etc.
5. We have the worst negotiation team in the world. Our pants constantly been pulled down by others clubs.
6. Appoint Eredivisie coach and players to compete in PL
7. Messed up signing players like Bellingham and etc
8. No effective scouts/recruitment department

YikesSchmeics

The article by Whitwell was absolutely damning and he has to go. BUT it would be interesting to know who fed that information - if it was a Glazer briefing it is a PR hit piece to create a fall guy and absolve them of blame. If it was an INEOS leak then it is prep for his inevitable removal. Either way, that he has been hung out to dry so publicly and comprehensively means he is definitely going to be gone. It would also not bode well for ETH.

devilish

The article by Whitwell was absolutely damning and he has to go. BUT it would be interesting to know who fed that information - if it was a Glazer briefing it is a PR hit piece to create a fall guy and absolve them of blame. If it was an INEOS leak then it is prep for his inevitable removal. Either way, that he has been hung out to dry so publicly and comprehensively means he is definitely going to be gone. It would also not bode well for ETH.
The 'leak' so to speak is someone who knows about the Murtough-Butt spat and how Murtough disrespected SAF during the Bellingham's mess. That's old information which goes beyond any takeover talks. If I am a betting an than it must be someone close to that circle who had waited this long to cause maximum damage to the guy. As they say, the Lannisters sent their regards.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
More likely someone within the club who has been around a while and isn't aligned with the Glazer/Woodward/Murtough faction, IMO.

sugar_kane

More likely someone within the club who has been around a while and isn't aligned with the Glazer/Woodward/Murtough faction, IMO.
It could have been multiple sources even

Nicky Butt certainly seems like he could have an axe to grind, and he did an Athletic interview a couple of years back about his exit

Arnold might also figure he might as well slag off the club now

Alternatively I wouldn’t be surprised if Ten Hag’s camp could be a source, it certainly shifts a lot of the blame (justifiably, I would add) to Murtough, even if he himself is actually doing a pretty shite job at the moment.

United888

1. Missing Caicedo, Alvarez, Bellingham, and etc when they were available cheap.
  2. Nothing has changed in the wages and players’ contract structure since Ed left
  3. Still overpaying players and struggled to sell players.
  4. If it’s true that our scout noted that antony’s value is £25m, yet this guy insisted to spend more than £80m.
He has to be sacked. This guy doesn’t know what he is doing and it’s also part of glazers’ responsibility to know what has gone wrong and make changes.

devilish

It could have been multiple sources even

Nicky Butt certainly seems like he could have an axe to grind, and he did an Athletic interview a couple of years back about his exit

Arnold might also figure he might as well slag off the club now

Alternatively I wouldn’t be surprised if Ten Hag’s camp could be a source, it certainly shifts a lot of the blame (justifiably, I would add) to Murtough, even if he himself is actually doing a pretty shite job at the moment.
ETH has nothing to gain in turning against Murtough. They are now tied to the hip with the former being Murtough's appointee

Coops73

Has anyone got a link to this whitwell/athletic piece, can’t seem to find it. Thanks.

padzilla

Hipster
He certainly can't be the head of the footballing side of the operations - that's not to say he doesn't have a role to play elsewhere rather than having to be sacked.

That said, what happens with him will be an early indicator of what the future really will be with Ratcliffe supposedly calling the shots. If he stays where he is then we know we have been sold a dummy and are in for more of the same.

Yakuza_devils

It's a miracle how Murtough can survived in one of the top football club for so long and take the helm of the football pyramid with his disastrous knowledge of football. Unprecedented disaster after disaster for the last decade and yet he survived.

Sometime the connection is more important than your actual ability.

roseguy64

Both of their experience was at academy level before becoming head of elite development, Murtough was also a football analyst for Everton including on the recruitment side of things. Their background while not identical are similar up until the point where they each get a sporting director job.

The point being that the issue with Murtough isn't his background or his experience, he simply happens to not be a good sporting director. It's not rare for people to deserve a chance in a different role but end up not being a good fit. We can be critical of Murtough without pretending that he didn't have experience in the field and also was competent in his roles.
Yep agreed. The problem for Murtough is likely that we were creating a brand new system rather than being promoted into the role. If we'd already had an established football setup it might have gone better. But we were basically starting from zero when ETH came in and that proved disastrous for the Antony transfer.

roseguy64

I'm not going to be that dickhead that says "I called this ages ago" but I am definitely a dickhead who called this ages ago.

Our entire structure is filled with people "learning on the job", who are expected to learn from other people learning on the job, overseen by people who have no experience to be able to tell the people learning on the job that they're learning the wrong things.
Yeah on a hiding to nothing. Hoped for the best but creating a structure without the prior experience did not go well for us.

Revan

Assumptionman
I do not see why Ineos would need to leak a piece to fire him. They can just fire him. Pretty much every United fan except Adnan would be happy if that happens.

Glazers leaking it makes sense but to be fair, they never gave a shit about public opinion. My guess is that the leaks were some employees at the club (scouts etc) who have been working under him.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I'm not going to be that dickhead that says "I called this ages ago" but I am definitely a dickhead who called this ages ago.

Our entire structure is filled with people "learning on the job", who are expected to learn from other people learning on the job, overseen by people who have no experience to be able to tell the people learning on the job that they're learning the wrong things.
So you're a dickhead, Mr P?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I do not see why Ineos would need to leak a piece to fire him. They can just fire him. Pretty much every United fan except Adnan would be happy if that happens.

Glazers leaking it makes sense but to be fair, they never gave a shit about public opinion. My guess is that the leaks were some employees at the club (scouts etc) who have been working under him.
I think that it's employees that are trying to save their backsides for their poor job and I think that they are the same anonymous sources that we have heard about over the years because for some reason, the same grievances comeback but with totally different targets.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I suspect a lot of the information is old knowledge to the athletic journalists, such as the Bellingham, Nicky Butt parts. My guess is its been instigated by somebody in ETHs camp to try to put the blame on Murtough and distance himself from the dealings, as its a pretty big noose around his neck right now. I mean, he's surely going to be embarrassed when Ratcliffe and the next DoF starts questioning the ability of some of these players? It also sounds like his (ETHs) agent is very involved in transfers and other matters, which has apparently pushed people's nose out of place at United. They've probably seized the opportunity to get out in front of what's to come.

The bits of info around Butt etc were probably added in for effect, and probably came from Butt himself when they interviewed him a couple of years ago.

colombianmancunian

United’s official statement

- Acquisition of 25% of the Class B shares held by the Glazer family
- Offer to acquire up to 25% of all Class A shares
- The Glazer family and Class A shareholders will receive the same price of $33.00 per share
- Further investment of $300 million in the Club
- INEOS delegated responsibility for management of football operations
- Completion of this deal is subject to receiving all necessary regulatory approvals including from the Premier League

lifted

I see this on every aggregator site but not on Duncker's own twitter. Is it definitely confirmed?
From the article:

It is understood that director of football John Murtough will leave his position, following recently departed chief executive Richard Arnold, as Ratcliffe brings in people he believes are capable of turning things around.