John Murtough to be next?

wolvored

Its now being reported Murtough will be sacked/leave next as Woodward was his biggest supporter and he was the eyes and ears for Woodward. If this is true then lets hope it happens and we get a proper DOF in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its now being reported Murtough will be sacked/leave next as Woodward was his biggest supporter and he was the eyes and ears for Woodward. If this is true then lets hope it happens and we get a proper DOF in.
Link

RUCK4444

He's only just been promoted to the position :lol:

We have to be careful we don't feck up any long term transfer work we have been putting in place for this summer. At this point this is my primary concern tbh.

OverratedOpinion

Nothing reliable it seems but it would not shock me.

"The first sacrificial lamb didn't do the trick, let's try another!"

They must hate that most fans like Ole right now :lol:

Teja

Hmm.. sacking the entire management structure we have in place would set us back another 10 years.

They've made so many mistakes and learned so many hard lessons since SAF left that if we just got new people in, I'm worried they'd repeat the same mistakes all over again.

And say what you want about Woodward but the man knew how to run a business. Our revenues kept going up, the finances were fairly stable despite all the issues we've had on field and we've negotiated some great sponsorship links. Whoever comes in has to do all of that and more.

Infra-red

I don't see why Murtough's job would be at risk - he has only just been appointed and Woodward was leaving this year anyway.

Even if Woodwood ends up leaving slightly earlier than originally planned, I don't see how it would impact Murtough's role (unless of course the new Chief Executive really wants Murtough out, but this seems rather unlikely given that it will probably be an internal appointment of another Glazer/Woodward stooge).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hope we can get a DOF

Gets DOF

Yay!

DOF isn’t in the job long enough to do a single thing.

Would be great to get rid of our DOF and get a new one in!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hmm.. sacking the entire management structure we have in place would set us back another 10 years.

They've made so many mistakes and learned so many hard lessons since SAF left that if we just got new people in, I'm worried they'd repeat the same mistakes all over again.

And say what you want about Woodward but the man knew how to run a business. Our revenues kept going up, the finances were fairly stable despite all the issues we've had on field and we've negotiated some great sponsorship links. Whoever comes in has to do all of that and more.
Hmm have we learnt anything though? Ole's first summer was us spending ridiculous money to buy obvious and safe talent. In certain ways it worked but we can't keep buying solid players at 60m-80m a pop. The summer after we took a scattergun approach by buying players that either the manager don't rate or aren't ready for first team football. We basically spend around 83m euros and we didn't add 1 first teamer to the mix. Meanwhile we've got the most expensive GK department in football history (in terms of salaries), none of them are remotely WC.

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap

Getting new people in is only a bad thing if its people with no experience. Or a bunch of people with differing views on how the club should be run.

Teja

Hmm have we learnt anything though? Ole's first summer was us spending ridiculous money to buy obvious and safe talent. In certain ways it worked but we can't keep buying solid players at 60m-80m a pop. The summer after we took a scattergun approach by buying players that either the manager don't rate or aren't ready for first team football. We basically spend around 83m euros and we didn't add 1 first teamer to the mix. Meanwhile we've got the most expensive GK department in football history (in terms of salaries) and not 1 decent natural RW.
Hmm.. this will probably set off another whole thread but IMO overall our squad health is much improved in the past 2-3 years to the point that most people view the squad / manager as being capable of a guaranteed top four finish + putting together a title run. I don't remember looking at any other United squad since Fergie left with such optimism.

You'll always have the occasional flop (remains to be seen if VdB is a flop, but let's count him as one) but amongst the rest (in the last 3 years) - Telles, Cavani, Maguire, Bruno, AwB, James, Fred have all been pretty solid signings. We were also very close to getting Haaland and Bellingham before they were famous suggesting the scouting department has been humming along pretty well.

I'd like to believe they've hit up on a successful formula and the noises from the club all suggest that. (Sorry can't find any sources here, everything about Woodward on Google is in relation to the super league. Maybe once the dust settles a bit).

Zen86

I have seen nothing reliable about this at all. The link of Murtagh to all this seems to strike of agenda pushing.
Yep. The guy was just promoted and had no involvement with the ESL plans. Lazy rumours.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
By this logic Ole is next. Then all staff. Then Ed's players. Shaw, Pogba, Amad, Harry, Vic, AWB....damn, all 25 players and coaches basically. No, wait; De Gea and Jones would survive

Last edited:

devilish

Hmm.. this will probably set off another whole thread but IMO overall our squad health is much improved in the past 2-3 years to the point that most people view the squad / manager as being capable of a guaranteed top four finish + putting together a title run. I don't remember looking at any other United squad since Fergie left with such optimism.

You'll always have the occasional flop (remains to be seen if VdB is a flop, but let's count him as one) but amongst the rest (in the last 3 years) - Telles, Cavani, Maguire, Bruno, AwB, James, Fred have all been pretty solid signings. We were also very close to getting Haaland and Bellingham before they were famous suggesting the scouting department has been humming along pretty well.

I'd like to believe they've hit up on a successful formula and the noises from the club all suggest that. (Sorry can't find any sources here, everything about Woodward on Google is in relation to the super league. Maybe once the dust settles a bit).
During Ole's first summer we went for very safe and quite frankly expensive signings. I think the majority of fans knew about Maguire, AWB and Bruno Fernandes. Last summer we didn't added 1 first team level player despite spending 83m euros. Meanwhile the club had been managed horribly admin wise. Jones was given a long term contract, we still lack a natural RW and we've got 4 goalkeepers who cost us a yearly salary bill of around 30m (DDG 19.5m, Henderson 6m, Romero 3.6m while Grant is paid 1.5m). To put things in perspective Alisson is paid around 7m, Oblak is on around 8.7m, Donnarumma is on around 5.3m while Ederson is at around 4m. This club is far from managed well, its been so for years and should therefore look at the outside for key roles.

Which really makes you wonder why on earth we chose a DOF whose got no experience in the job and had been in the middle of this farce since the beginning.

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
He wasn't really a DoF was he? He was promoted from another position to DoF role to be able to say "we hired a DoF now" by Woodward. I hope this is true and we get a proper DoF finally.

Crustanoid

Take Judge, Arnold and that PR hack from The Sun and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Red-17

During Ole's first summer we went for very safe and quite frankly expensive signings. I think the majority of fans knew about Maguire, AWB and Bruno Fernandes. Last summer we didn't added 1 first team level player despite spending 83m euros. Meanwhile the club had been managed horribly admin wise. Jones was given a long term contract, we still lack a natural RW and we've got 4 goalkeepers who cost us a yearly salary bill of around 30m (DDG 19.5m, Henderson 6m, Romero 3.6m while Grant is paid 1.5m). To put things in perspective Alisson is paid around 7m, Oblak is on around 8.7m, Donnarumma is on around 5.3m while Ederson is at around 4m. This club is far from managed well.

Which really makes you wonder why on earth we chose a DOF whose got no experience in the job and had been in the middle of this farce since the beginning.
This is such a one sided take on things. Phil Jones signed an extension over two years ago now, and De Gea at the beginning of last season when he had only had a few months of bad form prior to which he was a top 3 keeper in the world. If our biggest issue is that we are overpaying a bit for our goalkeepers and have a few deadweight players, then I am okay with that. Maguire was an undeniable improvement on any of our center backs even though we have overpaid for him, but I would rather have one reliable and expensive player than 3 cheaper and worse players who can only play 30 games a season.

As for last summer, we added depth in key positions which you could argue is part of the reason our squad has performed much better this year. We finally got a quality player at left back to support Shaw and it coincided with not only his best but also his fittest season at the club, and this was for a relatively cheap amount too. Van de Beek still has plenty of time to show his worth, and he has looked better recently. We wouldn't take a huge loss on him if we did have to sell him anyway. We signed a highly rated young winger who may turn out to be amazing or not in a few years, but this was the exact type of transfer people were saying we should have been making all along. In fact, you just criticized the club for buying obvious targets in the first summer, but you aren't crediting them for going after younger less obvious talent the following year. We were after Haaland and Bellingham too as well as the singings of Amad and Pellistri.

I think anyone who is honest can see that the club is at its healthies state from a pure football perspective since Fergie left both in terms of the quality of the squad and the overall structure. We are on pace to have our best set of back to back seasons in the league in a decade, and once again are competing for trophies. Things aren't perfect, but they are the best they have been in a long time.

Godfather

I don't want anyone of the Glazer system here anymore. So yeah get rid off him. The Glazers next.

48 hours

If anyone should follow Ed out, it should be Judge after the 5 year contracts to Jones and Rojo

Andy_Cole

I don't want anyone of the Glazer system here anymore. So yeah get rid off him. The Glazers next.
Well we need to do the Glazers first. If our structure goes it will just be an absolute mess for the future. I agree I want the glazer system gone but not before the Glazers in my opinion. Except Woodward of course who was completely useless at the football side of the job.

devilish

This is such a one sided take on things. Phil Jones signed an extension over two years ago now, and De Gea at the beginning of last season when he had only had a few months of bad form prior to which he was a top 3 keeper in the world. If our biggest issue is that we are overpaying a bit for our goalkeepers and have a few deadweight players, then I am okay with that. Maguire was an undeniable improvement on any of our center backs even though we have overpaid for him, but I would rather have one reliable and expensive player than 3 cheaper and worse players who can only play 30 games a season.

As for last summer, we added depth in key positions which you could argue is part of the reason our squad has performed much better this year. We finally got a quality player at left back to support Shaw and it coincided with not only his best but also his fittest season at the club, and this was for a relatively cheap amount too. Van de Beek still has plenty of time to show his worth, and he has looked better recently. We wouldn't take a huge loss on him if we did have to sell him anyway. We signed a highly rated young winger who may turn out to be amazing or not in a few years, but this was the exact type of transfer people were saying we should have been making all along. In fact, you just criticized the club for buying obvious targets in the first summer, but you aren't crediting them for going after younger less obvious talent the following year. We were after Haaland and Bellingham too as well as the singings of Amad and Pellistri.

I think anyone who is honest can see that the club is at its healthies state from a pure football perspective since Fergie left both in terms of the quality of the squad and the overall structure. We are on pace to have our best set of back to back seasons in the league in a decade, and once again are competing for trophies. Things aren't perfect, but they are the best they have been in a long time.

Lets pick one by one

- By the time DDG signed the new contract he was already in decline. He certainly wasn't worth 19.5m in yearly salary
- Jones signing is an utter mess. There's no way to embellish it
- I repeat, I am not criticising the signings made during Ole's first transfer window. All I said is that they were very safe signings. We paid a ridiculously lot of money because of that. Those are certainly not the result of an excellent football administration
- Last summer we spent the entire summer courting Sancho only to settle for Telles whose squad player at best, VDB a player Ole doesn't seem to trust, 2 expensive kids whom are far away from first team football and Cavani. That 83m euros on players who are nowhere near to first team levels

I tried to be quite fair tbh by not mentioning the stupidities made throughout the entire Woodward tenure, a tenure btw were Mourtough was involved in some capacity. Please note that I am not criticising Ole or the coaching staff here in any way.

Last edited: