Jonny Evans is a red...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
One of the most criminally underrated players I’ve seen throughout his career. I’d happily start him ahead of Maguire in the LCB role if Licha was injured.
I always liked him but I'm not sure you could call him underrated. Since leaving United he's been relegated twice.

Wezzaldo

I always liked him but I'm not sure you could call him underrated. Since leaving United he's been relegated twice.
I think you can and a lot of ex pros like Rio say the same. Some players just aren’t fashionable, but he’s always been a silky CB IMO

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think you can and a lot of ex pros like Rio say the same. Some players just aren’t fashionable, but he’s always been a silky CB IMO
Nice on the ball, but also a few faults in his game that rightly stopped him holding down a regular spot at a side pushing for leagues and champions leagues. He's better than relegation fodder, but mid table flirting with Europe is about right for him.

ThanksBoss26

What’s the deal with regards to ‘homegrown’ player quotas needed these days? Are we at risk of being short if Maguire, McTominay & Williams all depart?

If so and he impresses pre-season I wonder if he may come in as cover for a year to help on that front.

Bwuk

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if he stays to be honest.

I don’t see us spending cash on a CB.

I imagine Maguire and Bailly are both moved on.

Varane, Martinez, Lindelof & Shaw will be the 4 CB options, with Shaw also starting LB. I wouldn’t be surprised if Evans comes in to bolster the numbers.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Wasn't one former Leicester City defender bad enough
I said when you signed Maguire that Evans was the better centre back of the pair. He made Maguire look better than he was.

city-puma

Pleased for him. If Welbeck can rejoin this summer, it would be great as well.

meninred

This just came out of the blue. What dooes he signs or joins for preseason means ? I havent heard of that before.

crossy1686

career ending
The other thread says he will be part of academic group flying to San Diego. It seems really a short term contract.
Not sure then, the BBC said he was only eligible for the next two games but maybe he’s sticking around to help out with the kids for a bit. I presumed he was just here to keep fit and find a new club.

Trex

What's in this for ETH? Its one thing to let him use the training ground facilities, it's a totally different thing to include him in the squad.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Just for the next two friendlies essentially. He won’t be coming to America.
United:

Experienced defender Jonny Evans has signed a short-term deal to enable him to take part in Manchester United’s upcoming pre-season games in Edinburgh and San Diego.

…Jonny will then [after the Lyon game] join up with the Academy group that will travel to San Diego, while the first-team squad are in New York.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What's in this for ETH? Its one thing to let him use the training ground facilities, it's a totally different thing to include him in the squad.
Maybe just looking after a former United player to help him get a new deal elsewhere while mentoring some younger players briefly? Or maybe being lined up for a coaching role? Who knows but ETH wouldn't do it if it were harmful for United.

red.knight

I definitely think ten Hag brought in Evans to force Maguire out. Basically saying 'I'm even willing to play this guy before you'. Definitely. And if Maguire stays now and just toss it off for the rest of his contract, he has no shame.

always_hoping

If he's getting picked and gets some game time ahead of Maguire in these upcoming challenge then surely the penny will eventually for Harry?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The stories about Maguire wanting to stay and fight for his place came out before he was stripped of the captaincy.
Like he didn't know it was coming. I'd say he knows he needs to leave but is trying to place himself in the best position to leave with minimal financial impact to himself.

Flanders Devil

We should also sign Clevery, Romero as backup GK, Rooney as ST then all our problems areas are sorted.

In all honesty though, as surprised as I am, there is some weird logic to this....left footed CB etc etc. to fill in a spot for preseason. Maybe he's even playing there as a placeholder for when ETH tried to sign a left footed CB late on. If I remember correctly didn't we play Telles there last preseason?

Based Adnan

I don't see why Evans would risk injury as a free agent just to play a few pre season friendlies unless there's potential for an offer on the table.

Combine this with the noise coming out that the coaches have been impressed by him in training then I wouldn't be surprised to see him come in as fifth choice.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really don't understand this one at all. I could understand it if we are letting him join in training and such only. Give him the chance to stay fit, and a bit of extra experience for the kids to learn from. But then actually giving him some form of contract and putting him on the park, for me just looks like he is stopping someone else from getting that experience. And I would prefer one of the kids or a player that is actually going to be here next season to be given the chance.

Only way it makes sense if we are actually toying with the idea to bring him in for the season as depth, which isn't exactly something I would be happy with. I'd always prefer to bring in a young player than a 35 year old stop gap for depth.

Devil81

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if he stays to be honest.

I don’t see us spending cash on a CB.

I imagine Maguire and Bailly are both moved on.

Varane, Martinez, Lindelof & Shaw will be the 4 CB options, with Shaw also starting LB. I wouldn’t be surprised if Evans comes in to bolster the numbers.
Exactly that, he's perfect for the earlier Fa cup/league Cup ties as well. Experience to give the main men a rest.

I also think he will take up a part coaching role from what I've heard.

Paul778

Exactly that, he's perfect for the earlier Fa cup/league Cup ties as well. Experience to give the main men a rest.

I also think he will take up a part coaching role from what I've heard.
It's try before you buy really. A preseason contract and cover for if we can't sign another and see how the rest of the summer goes.

I imagine ETH has really strong ideas about what he wants in a new CB in terms of age, drive and ability. If hd can't get that in this window due to attainable options and available money he now has the option to wait.

Even if it's just the last straw required to push Slabhead out of the club that's a brucie bonus.