Jonny Evans is a red...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
After Jones left, someone needs to keep Martial not feeling lonely.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The three dots behind thread title implies you're sad that he is a red.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I think he would probably be a great addition to the coaching staff. Apparently he is management material and that would be a good first step. Dunno if he will be like Huddlestone playing for the Reserves but the likes of Fush will no doubt benefit from Evans experience. But being added to the 1st team squad ?? Bit of a stretch.

edgecutter

Isn't he a bit injury prone? We have enough guys still at the club to keep the physios busy.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think he would probably be a great addition to the coaching staff. Apparently he is management material and that would be a good first step. Dunno if he will be like Huddlestone playing for the Reserves but the likes of Fush will no doubt benefit from Evans experience. But being added to the 1st team squad ?? Bit of a stretch.
Huddlestone has also signed on this season.

Morpheus 7

Should be about getting his fitness for next club, being a good servant and getting to train(that's it). Sick of Glazer's United going for cheap Poundland options to get squad filled. From Kim Min-Jae to maybe settling for Evans as back up choice, typical.

I hope this nightmare of Glazers, Arnold, Murtough and co is the last Summer. Utterly depressing.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Should be about getting his fitness for next club, being a good servant and getting to train(that's it). Sick of Glazer's United going for cheap Poundland options to get squad filled. From Kim Min-Jae to maybe settling for Evans as back up choice, typical.

I hope this nightmare of Glazers, Arnold, Murtough and co is the last Summer. Utterly depressing.
Signed Mount and Onana before the first game if the US tour and are deep in talks for Hojlund & because we *may* look at signing Evans as like a 4th choice CB, it’s “depressing”. This has so far been incredibly positive and we’re moving fast on signings and there’s still moaning

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Morpheus 7

Signed Mount and Onana before the first game if the US tour and are deep in talks for Hojlund & because we *may* look at signing Evans as like a 4th choice CB, it’s “depressing”. This has so far been incredibly positive and we’re moving fast on signings and there’s still moaning

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Aye I'm sure we will challenge for the league when you put it like that.

Marcelinho87

I genuinely think this is EtH impressed with his input with a view to having him coaching young defenders.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
You all want to sign him based on sentimentality and what he did whilst having his deficiencies covered by Vidic, nothing more.

FujiVice

People giving Evans shit about being relegated twice is a bit miss informed. He wasnt playing for most of last season. And the other time, he excelled to the point where Pep wanted to sign him. The reason you wouldnt want us to sign him is because he's old and has been injured. Not because of his track record. He's had an incredible career. Few can say they left us and won something.

Alex123

Jonny Evans was good for us and he has been good for the teams he has played after us. I think he would be a decent backup and bring some more experience and leadership to the team. Recent injuries might be an issue, but maybe our medical team and management can asses that better than any of us.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Funnily enough this former Leicester City defender was better for Leicester than the one we purchased for a record fee. He is the typical example of a player that had a tough time somewhere and found his form in a different environment.
I remember saying this at he time and being mocked for it on here being told you were buying our defensive leader...

Bertie Wooster

You all want to sign him based on sentimentality and what he did whilst having his deficiencies covered by Vidic, nothing more.
I think the only 'something more' argument that could be made for signing him, or someone else, on a cheap one year deal depends on how accurate the FFP rumours are, and how much we intend to spend / need to recoup this summer.

If we are looking to spend big on a signing like Kane - or to bring in an understudy DM to go with our #9, or whatever - then an argument could certainly be made for selling Maguire, to get his high wages off the books and get maybe £15-20m or whatever in a transfer fee, and just sign Evans or someone else on a free, on lower wages, just as a cheap 4th/5th choice (counting Shaw?) CB option for a year before addressing that area properly with a better option next summer - while helping us address our more pressing needs this summer.

Though I would be surprised if anything happened with Evans as I think he really was just training with a former club to keep fit while a free agent, and the injury to Bennett, along with Maguire and Lindelof not available for the Lyon game, just led to a mutually beneficial short term deal. If there was any chance of him joining for longer, I'm sure he'd have gone on the main tour to see how he performed with the first team against strong opponents, rather than with the youngsters v Wrexham. So he's probably just a short term replacement for Bennett, not a serious option to replace Maguire.

foolsgold

Would have no problems with him on a 1 year deal with very low basic wage (10k - 20k) and heavily incentivised for appearances.

It's going to be a busy season, and he'd be fine for early rounds of cups, esp against lower league teams or last 30 mins in games where we're comfortable.

We need to protect our first choice defenders from burn out.

Real Name

That's a quality moan.

Fully Fledged

Jonny Evans was good for us and he has been good for the teams he has played after us. I think he would be a decent backup and bring some more experience and leadership to the team. Recent injuries might be an issue, but maybe our medical team and management can asses that better than any of us.
If he signed a pay as you play contract then it would mitigate the injury issues.

Fully Fledged

Pay as you play. Total games played: 2.
Ronaldo: that's a modern slavery.
Zero hour contracts are a thing now you know. Not that I agree with them.
There would probably be some basic salary involved but most of his wages paid as bonuses.
He would have to know that if he signed here he won't be playing every week.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
He would be good as a sort of a player coach in the reserves with Huddlestone. I think Paul McShane has left so maybe Johnny will be a replacement for Paul.
From what I understood, there could be only one such signing. Huddlestone replaced McShane but he's still with us, so Johnny Evans won't be able to take that spot. It also depends on Evans if he wants to take up the role, he may fancy playing senior football. I'm not against the idea, I love that we take care of our former players, I just hope it is what Johnny Evans wants and the club can also benefit from such a move.

MegadrivePerson

He will be a useful player to have around the squad and play in the odd cup game. I'd much rather see him starting next season than Maguire!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
From what I understood, there could be only one such signing. Huddlestone replaced McShane but he's still with us, so Johnny Evans won't be able to take that spot. It also depends on Evans if he wants to take up the role, he may fancy playing senior football. I'm not against the idea, I love that we take care of our former players, I just hope it is what Johnny Evans wants and the club can also benefit from such a move.
Are there any rules about it? I thought McShane just retired from playing and became a full time youth coach, likely with a different age group.

Huddlestone replaced McShane, but seemingly only because we want an experienced player-coach in the U23s/21s.

I know we've had senior players get minutes with that age group when returning from injury, so while I imagine there is a limit to how many older players can turn out, I'd be surprised if it's only one.

I think Evans is still too good to accept such a role though.