Jonny Evans signs a 1 year contract

Telsim

To be honest I don't think the idea was ever to rely on Jonny Evans in an away game against Arsenal.

Varane, Martinez, Maguire, Lindelof, even a fit Luke Shaw should be ahead of him. A weird set of circumstances to be honest.
There should be a 0% chance of Johnny Evans playing for Manchester United in 2023 in any official capacity. Not 10%. Not 1%. 0%.

It's like City playing Kompany. Do you think that will be allowed to happen? No. That's why they are treble winners and we are not.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Why the feck was Evans brought in? I assume Maguire came on because Martinez got injured but did Lindelof get injured too?

FFS

Zed is not dead

Why are people blaming him? He’s literally been wrestled to the ground on Rice’s goal

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
He did not look good during preseason, it is wild that he was given a deal, but ETH has a woeful eye for talent so here we are.

Abraxas

There should be a 0% chance of Johnny Evans playing for Manchester United in 2023 in any official capacity. Not 10%. Not 1%. 0%.

It's like City playing Kompany. Do you think that will be allowed to happen?
Yes, I understand the frustration. But it's only a ridiculous set of circumstances that allowed it to happen. How many teams can put out a great 5th or 6th choice option? Of course they're not going to be ideal.

If we're going to point fingers at something it should be the ability of this lot to get fit and stay fit, because it's quite pathetic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why is Evans targetted? He was the only one defending on Arsenal goals.

Aretak

Yeah, everyone saying this is OK looks a bit silly now or is there another excuse?
Nobody could have predicted Martinez and Lindelof both limping off injured in the very next game. Who would have come on had Evans not been on the bench? Bailly? That wouldn't have been any better.

edgecutter

Didn't care that he was sold 10 years ago. He's simply not good enough and it just shows the shit show of a regime that allowed him to be used in this match.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Got quoted couple of dozen times when I expressed my anger at signing a CB who was never good enough in the first place. "He is 5th choice, won't play much" "Our fans are such cnuts, can't support a club legend"

Y'all deserve everything these leeches in Glazers do at this club, because of complete lack of standards. Varane, Lindelof sick notes means any 4th/5th choice CBs would get game time. So, we keep Maguire and sign Evans, lovely.

Sanchez7

Blaming him is pointless. He is a free signing and probably our 6th choice CB .. it isn't his fault every other player is made of glass. Clearly EtH wanted a different player.

theatreofdreams777

Wasn't good enough 10 years ago. It can only be a joke he's signed now.

Are people really serious when they say him, Maguire, Lindelöf etc. are better than the likes of Bailly?

atkar83

Evans was brought in because he was free. We have no money to spend due to ffp. I don't see how we don't have any youth players better than him though. I wanted him gone in 2015, definitely don't want him back in 2023

AFC NimbleThumb

When your first 4 choices at CB [yes, I think Shaw would certainly start LCB ahead of the Lindelof+Maguire duo] then you’d like to think he could at least be a safe pair of hands but on the second goal he has to stop wrestling their player & actually closed down the ball.

We’re fecked.

joedirt87

Why the feck was Evans brought in? I assume Maguire came on because Martinez got injured but did Lindelof get injured too?

FFS
maybe Lindelof was gassed, or ETH was afraid of a sending off. I thought he looked fine to finish it out. Evans got unlucky with the deflection, but i would have much rather seen Erik try and see it out with fresh midfield legs in Gore of Mejbri, or both (ETH packing a midfield, impossible I know).

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Strange reaction. He's in the zone with 3 Arsenal players alone for 2-1...don't know what the others were doing.

I mean he absolutely shouldn't be here, but those goals weren't on him.

saivet

Blaming him is pointless. He is a free signing and probably our 6th choice CB .. it isn't his fault every other player is made of glass. Clearly EtH wanted a different player.
Exactly. He wasn't good but we'd have Casemiro playing at CB and Eriksen at DM if we didn't have Evans. Hopefully our other CBs are fit after the international break but fine as a 6th choice CB.

massey

Didn't care that he was sold 10 years ago. He's simply not good enough and it just shows the shit show of a regime that allowed him to be used in this match.
Exactly he wasn't good enough then hence let go but we've been soo accustomed to shit that it's deemed alright now to have the old pals act oh it's Jonny the ex player let's give him a game he shouldn't be here end of in the team as a coach fair enough good luck to him but this is a joke.

ddg01

He was awful 10 years ago and he’s even worse now when he came on I knew exactly what was to follow.

hp88

This isn't on Evans, it's on the ETH and the club for bringing him back, he's done at this level.

Drainy

Jonny Evans having to play is the Glazer tax on display.

Without the Glazer debt we have the money to sign a centre back for around £50m

In Rainbows

When your first 4 choices at CB [yes, I think Shaw would certainly start LCB ahead of the Lindelof+Maguire duo] then you’d like to think he could at least be a safe pair of hands but on the second goal he has to stop wrestling their player & actually closed down the ball.

We’re fecked.
There are 2 free players to close down Rice, and you blame the 3rd guy who was wrestling with another player?

massey

Exactly. He wasn't good but we'd have Casemiro playing at CB and Eriksen at DM if we didn't have Evans. Hopefully our other CBs are fit after the international break but fine as a 6th choice CB.
He isn't good as even 10th centre back we let him go he got relegated with Leicester this Is the premier league we need younger or better defenders with promise sorry but that central defensive partnership after the subs was an absolute joke like ten hag was taking the piss granted it's what he's dealt with but still I'd rather a injured lindeloff and Martinez on the pitch or even Scotty there.

Last edited:

Kaos

Here I was hoping we'd have KMJ or Pavard as cover, yet we find ourselves playing Maguire-Evans as our CB pairing against Arsenal of all teams.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Got quoted couple of dozen times when I expressed my anger at signing a CB who was never good enough in the first place. "He is 5th choice, won't play much" "Our fans are such cnuts, can't support a club legend"

Y'all deserve everything these leeches in Glazers do at this club, because of complete lack of standards. Varane, Lindelof sick notes means any 4th/5th choice CBs would get game time. So, we keep Maguire and sign Evans, lovely.
Same, I told everyone it was going to be a terrible signing. This was nothing but pure nostalgia on the fans part.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol: imagine bringing on Johnny Evans in 2023

El Jefe

There’s no point of attacking Evans. It should be 100% be on the clown of a DoF as well as our manager for deeming him good enough to play games for us in 2023.

Promote a fecking youngster instead rather than playing someone even slower than Maguire.

Evans was terrible on both goals and terrible in everything he did once he came on. Might as well bring Sylvestre back with how he played.

In Rainbows

Ok. Those 2 ‘free players’ are they ahead of or behind Evans who is wrestling a player the ball is floating over?
Why does it matter? Even if they don't close down, as long as they don't give Rice a free look at goal, it doesn't go in. All they literally had to do was maintain their original spot (near post) and Rice doesn't score.

But yes, they can easily run to Rice faster than you would expect Evans. Not sure how you can argue against that.

Acole9

Outstanding
I was worried when Maguire was brought on, even more so when Evans was on.

Acole9

Outstanding

You're spot on. Too many top reds pleased that he's back, he was never good enough when he was here before and he certainly isn't now. This another example of how poorly run this club is.

AFC NimbleThumb

Why does it matter? Even if they don't close down, as long as they don't give Rice a free look at goal, it doesn't go in. All they literally had to do was maintain their original spot (near post) and Rice doesn't score.

But yes, they can easily run to Rice faster than you would expect Evans. Not sure how you can argue against that.
So it doesn’t matter that they are further away. . . Good lord.