Jordan Henderson | New Athletic Interview: I strongly believe that me playing in Saudi Arabia is a positive thing

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't understand how or why he's struggling?! With the money he's on, he's living in absolute luxury, waited hand and foot. If he misses home, he can charter a private jet to see his friends and family. And he only has to 'endure' this hardship for another 18 months then he can leave.

What a baby
For you and me, that money would be beyond exhilarating, and yeah, a couple years earning superbank would be easy in luxury.

When you have lived that life for a good decade and money is just a larger and larger number, it doesnt give you anything else than more of the same. You are rich and live in absolute luxury, but its what you are used to, it doesnt give you anything. Everyday problems that we have get replaced with different everyday problems that have the same feeling of anxiety.

The first time my company turned over £1000 in sales in a day I was over the moon with joy. Now hitting £50,000 in a day is "ok, neat, wish it was more but whatever".

You can get used to absolutely everything. I dont have any issues believing Henderson if he says he is unhappy where he is. I dont pity him, he is beyond fortunate, but I can sympathise with his position.

TrailMonkey

but I can sympathise with his position
I can't.

He spat out a load of PR BS but everyone knows he went for the money. Now that the novelty has worn off, his team are struggling, the bloke that co-sold him the idea has left, his family apparently don't like it, etc... and of course the Euros is just round the corner... and now he wants to return. The Saudi's are saying he has to stick to his contract. Would be hilarious if he's stuck over there.

TheLiverBird

I can't.

He spat out a load of PR BS but everyone knows he went for the money. Now that the novelty has worn off, his team are struggling, the bloke that co-sold him the idea has left, his family apparently don't like it, etc... and of course the Euros is just round the corner... and now he wants to return. The Saudi's are saying he has to stick to his contract. Would be hilarious if he's stuck over there.
Just shy of £30 million tax free he’ll earn if he is stuck over there for the next 18 months

I’m sure he’ll find that hilarious himself!

reports are he wants too come back, probably true, but I highly doubt he’s crying in his bed each night about the decision he’s made too go over there, and how terrible his life is crying about maybe missing out on Euros, crying about this crying about that

He’s probably doing just fine

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't understand how or why he's struggling?! With the money he's on, he's living in absolute luxury, waited hand and foot. If he misses home, he can charter a private jet to see his friends and family. And he only has to 'endure' this hardship for another 18 months then he can leave.

What a baby
…babeh

BigRon1985

I'm loving the irony! :lol:

I'd be amazed if any PL club gave him a contract. Surely the negative PR he would bring with him would be toxic? His credibility as a person is destroyed forever.......

Plus the £7 million tax bill he would have to pay for returning to the UK within 2 years......

redNATION

I don’t understand the 2 year thing for paying back tax. Normally you have to remain outside the UK for a full tax year to be able to keep your overseas income fully tax free if you return to the UK.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Wouldn't surprise me if he thought it would be like living in Dubai. I think himself and Gerrard's family anyway were living in Bahrain which although would be "free-er" than Saudi still wouldn't be anything like Dubai

tf1989

Supports
Leicester
It’s a shame he’s a such a Liverpool stalwart and it would never happen, because as a short term fix to your midfield, he’s probably the best going.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I was shocked to see how low attendances are in that league. The vast majority of clubs have an average attendance of between 2 and 6 thousand. Pathetic. In one game this year Gerrard and Henderson’s team played in front of just 696 supporters. :lol: . Hilarious when you consider the hundreds of millions spent on players.

Only four clubs have an average attendance above 10k. Ronaldo’s club averages about 19.5k, and Benzema’s 27k. And those dwarf everyone else. The vast majority of clubs have non league level attendances.

The whole thing is such a barbaric waste of resources. A human rights abusing, sport washing state to pay aging stars tens or hundreds of millions to play in front of a handful of people for two years. I hope it’s a miserable experience for every player that took the money. Especially Henderson, who took the personal glory of being a LBGTQ advocate, only to stab the whole cause in the back when given the opportunity to turn his mega salary into a mega mega salary.

And now this whole, I want to come home…but by coming here I helped…..bullshit. He’s such a self serving little shit.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a shame he’s a such a Liverpool stalwart and it would never happen, because as a short term fix to your midfield, he’s probably the best going.
It's funny you say that because I could see Leicester being one of the teams taking a punt on him on a short term contract.

SambaBoy

It's crazy how all the journalists are jumping on the story saying how's he coming back with his tail between his legs and that sympathy will be in short supply?

Are they that stupid that they believe he cares? He's just spent 4 months earning unfathomable amounts of money, kept his place in the England squad and will now return to a PL team where he will be starting every week and earning good money again.

It's the same people who thought he was genuine about the LGBT community are now thinking he will be regretting the move. He never cared about the LGBT community, the same way he doesn't regret his move to Saudi as he's stacked a shed load of cash which was the reason he moved there. Job done.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a 33 year old whose game depended on his engine. He has made his choice now and 18 months really isn’t such a long time.

He should grin and bear it and come home with £30 million. If family aren’t happy, he can probably do a bit over a year coming back and forth.

Citing heat and the league’s quality is hilarious. There couldn’t have been anything more obvious. Just stick it out rather than come back and be a disappointment for whoever signs him in the PL.

The damage is done now, career is winding down, might as well get his money.

Simon Powley

I suppose the rainbow armbands are being dusted off as I write. Captain Campaign will be back soon to save the world.

tf1989

Supports
Leicester
It's funny you say that because I could see Leicester being one of the teams taking a punt on him on a short term contract.
Ah doubt he’s dropping down to Championship. He’s probably a 30 or 60 min shift player only now but still think he can influence high-level games.

Conor

For you and me, that money would be beyond exhilarating

The first time my company turned over £1000 in sales in a day I was over the moon with joy. Now hitting £50,000 in a day is "ok, neat, wish it was more but whatever".
Not sure you're such an average joe if you've a company doing nearly 20m in sales a year :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just stick it out for 18months, bank the insane wad, then he can come back and play out a few years for a relegation battler or championship team. Happy days

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'm loving the irony! :lol:

I'd be amazed if any PL club gave him a contract. Surely the negative PR he would bring with him would be toxic? His credibility as a person is destroyed forever.......

Plus the £7 million tax bill he would have to pay for returning to the UK within 2 years......
:lol:

Some people really think highly of their country and clubs.

Gopher Brown

I was shocked to see how low attendances are in that league. The vast majority of clubs have an average attendance of between 2 and 6 thousand. Pathetic. In one game this year Gerrard and Henderson’s team played in front of just 696 supporters. :lol: . Hilarious when you consider the hundreds of millions spent on players.

Only four clubs have an average attendance above 10k. Ronaldo’s club averages about 19.5k, and Benzema’s 27k. And those dwarf everyone else. The vast majority of clubs have non league level attendances.

The whole thing is such a barbaric waste of resources. A human rights abusing, sport washing state to pay aging stars tens or hundreds of millions to play in front of a handful of people for two years. I hope it’s a miserable experience for every player that took the money. Especially Henderson, who took the personal glory of being a LBGTQ advocate, only to stab the whole cause in the back when given the opportunity to turn his mega salary into a mega mega salary.

And now this whole, I want to come home…but by coming here I helped…..bullshit. He’s such a self serving little shit.
The lowest reported attendance this season is 133 who watched Al-Riyadh v Al Okhdood in September.

AndySmith1990

Yep. The whole thing is shameful and disgusting really

Hughes35

If any Saudi company in your field offered you 700k a week to up sticks, move to Saudi and work there, you'd all go. All of you.
If I was getting 250K per week in the UK? No chance.

The comparison would be getting 30K per year in the Uk and being offered 45K per year to move. I know the Maths ratios aren't the same but in terms of life impact, that's the difference.

Hughes35

What a baby
Bit of a blinkered view.

He was already a multi millionaire. His life in terms of wealth won't have changed. All that's changed for him is football is no longer fun (Too hot, no fans etc) and that his family + kids are probably unhappy.

What I do have no sympathy for is the fact he was stupid enough to not see this before he moved to Saudi. Now that is pure stupidity.

Josep Dowling

If I was getting 250K per week in the UK? No chance.

The comparison would be getting 30K per year in the Uk and being offered 45K per year to move. I know the Maths ratios aren't the same but in terms of life impact, that's the difference.
It's not really. Take home pay in the UK on 250k is around 125k. If he stays in Saudi for two years his income is tax free so he would be earning nearly 6 times more than he would at home. If you were earning £50k a year in the UK and were offered £300k to work abroad most people would at least try it for a couple of years. You live to your means so Henderson will have higher bills than the average person in the UK.

Hughes35

It's not really. Take home pay in the UK on 250k is around 125k. If he stays in Saudi for two years his income is tax free so he would be earning nearly 6 times more than he would at home. If you were earning £50k a year in the UK and were offered £300k to work abroad most people would at least try it for a couple of years. You live to your means so Henderson will have higher bills than the average person in the UK.
Hence why I said the Maths ratios are not the same but in terms of impact on life i's the same.

Do you really think taking home 500K per week makes a big difference compared to 100K per week? You live like a king either way.

Anyway, Jordan has come the same realization..... Which he should have known before he got greedy.

redshaw

I'm sure he'll stay like Benzema will, a ton of money for a short time.

SoCross

Bit of a blinkered view.

He was already a multi millionaire. His life in terms of wealth won't have changed. All that's changed for him is football is no longer fun (Too hot, no fans etc) and that his family + kids are probably unhappy.

What I do have no sympathy for is the fact he was stupid enough to not see this before he moved to Saudi. Now that is pure stupidity.
I’m 100% positive they’ve AC in Saudi.

AjaxNL

He's seriously linked to Ajax now. Now first of, lets establish that the guy is a total idiot for playing in SA and then saying he believes it's a good thing. Just for that reason, I'm not excited about a potential move to Ajax.

Now ethics aside. Can anybody tell me how good he was in his last season in the Prem? The Eredivisie is miles below in terms of intensity, so he should be good there. Bur hopefully he can also be a part of Ajax's rebuild in Europe.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He was poor in his last season. If he doesn't need to run too much, he'll be fine for the Eresdivisie though. He knows everything anyone needs to know about midfielding and has more than enough graft and technique for that level. Could be an asset in Europe too if he has runners in midfield next to him. Done his fair share of 100+ completed passes games, so I don't think he'd struggle much to adapt to the Ajax style of play.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
He's seriously linked to Ajax now. Now first of, lets establish that the guy is a total idiot for playing in SA and then saying he believes it's a good thing. Just for that reason, I'm not excited about a potential move to Ajax.

Now ethics aside. Can anybody tell me how good he was in his last season in the Prem? The Eredivisie is miles below in terms of intensity, so he should be good there. Bur hopefully he can also be a part of Ajax's rebuild in Europe.
Nicer country to get stoned in also.

Serves him right, stupid feck. Playing up to the LGBT crowd until the cash comes flowing

Hughes35

I’m 100% positive they’ve AC in Saudi.
Mate, I've lived in Abu Dhabi it's fecking hot AC or no AC and the games are / will be brutal.

Jordan has also stated the heat is one of the reasons he already wants to leave.

Herman Toothrot

If I was earning £250k per week....
Exactly. This feeble argument always ignores the fact that people like Henderson are already rich beyond the imagination of any normal person. Yes, of course, I'd do it for £750k a week, because that's about £750k more than my entire inventory. I'm sat at my desk at my job, not my Cheshire mansion enjoying the splendor that the millions of pounds I already don't know what to do with have bought me.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It doesn't really matter as he was way past the point of more money making him happier anyway.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Mate, I've lived in Abu Dhabi it's fecking hot AC or no AC and the games are / will be brutal.

Jordan has also stated the heat is one of the reasons he already wants to leave.
"It's like living in a foreign country"
A scouser