Jorginho challenge on Grealish

Swiss_Red89

How was this not a red card? I was able to whitness a Michael Oliver masterclass to send off Freuler against Spain. The Jorginho one was clearly a red while the other one was a Joke. VAR?

The Hilton

How was this not a red card? I was able to whitness a Michael Oliver maste
Phillips made almost the exact same challenge earlier on in the tournament, was a yellow, so we can't really complain.

We lost because we played for pens against an Italy team who were there for the taking, nothing to do with this challenge - he didn't even score his pen!

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
How was this not a red card? I was able to whitness a Michael Oliver masterclass to send off Freuler against Spain. The Jorginho one was clearly a red while the other one was a Joke. VAR?
You guys got more than enough advantages from UEFA, lad. It's a bit much asking for more.

And be honest to yourself. Even if UEFA gave Italy a red card or even player ban before the game even started, you would still have bottled it. :lol:

laughtersassassin

I mean it was very close to the end of extra time and he missed his penalty so didn't really affect the outcome.

But I would agree it was a red card challenge.

Swiss_Red89

Phillips made almost the exact same challenge earlier on in the tournament, was a yellow, so we can't really complain.

We lost because we played for pens against an Italy team who were there for the taking, nothing to do with this challenge - he didn't even score his pen!
I'm note even started this thread because of the result. I just can't believe the state of this two decisions if you have VAR in place to help you out. I've never seen a clearer red as for that Jorginho challenge. While Freuler got sent off for a lot less.

The Hilton

I'm note even started this thread because of the result. I just can't believe the state of this two decisions if you have VAR in place to help you out. I've never seen a clearer red as for that Jorginho challenge. While Freuler got sent off for a lot less.
Not for me, I think a yellow is fair. One foot on the ground, goes over the ball which causes the contact, I hate seeing challenges like that given as reds.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. It was a reddish yellow. VAR wouldn't have overturned either card had it been shown, in much the same way they wouldn't have overturned the Sterling penalty call either way either.

Didn't make any difference anyway, especially given he missed his penalty.

Chief123

Blatant red.
The stupid thing is I don’t believe VAR were allowed to review it because the ref had already given a yellow card for it. If ref gives a yellow it can’t be reviewed by VaR.

Mike Smalling

Apparently multiple former referees have stated that it wasn't a red because Jorginho makes clear contact with the ball and his foot then slips to Grealish's thigh.

0le

I said earlier it probably should have been red, but it is one of those where you can't really complain with a yellow either.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We were fortunate he wasn't sent off after his penalty.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Apparently multiple former referees have stated that it wasn't a red because Jorginho makes clear contact with the ball and his foot then slips to Grealish's thigh.
But by that logic that Swedish player cleared the ball and then the Ukrainian ran into his leg after the ball was cleared.

Cloud7

Clattenburg explained that his foot ricocheted off the ball and onto Graelish's leg, rather than it being an actual attempted stamp, that's why it's not a red

Phil

I think it was far more a red than not, if that makes sense. One where you count yourself really lucky to get away with it.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Said it in some other thread, but the arguments I've seen are Jorginho playing the ball first and Grealish not getting a nasty cut or some other serious injuries, I'd agree yellow was fine.

Swiss_Red89

You guys got more than enough advantages from UEFA, lad. It's a bit much asking for more.

And be honest to yourself. Even if UEFA gave Italy a red card or even player ban before the game even started, you would still have bottled it. :lol:
Yes maybe. But than again tell me why the challenge of Freuler against Moreno was a direct red card and this one not?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great tackle. Won the ball cleanly

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Should've been a red.

Ultimately though England approach I doubt would've changed much bar slinging a few balls into the box (only 5 minutes left) and someone else might have taken and scored Italy's fifth penalty.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Should've been a red.

Ultimately though England approach I doubt would've changed much bar slinging a few balls into the box (only 5 minutes left) and someone else might have taken and scored Italy's fifth penalty.
True, even if it was a red, we were not winning that game.

Mike Smalling

Yes maybe. But than again tell me why the challenge of Freuler against Moreno was a direct red card and this one not?
The rules not being appplied consistently is hardly surprising though, is it?
I have no clue what’s correct, by the way. Think it could go either way, but I’m not schocked VAR didn’t change it.

Abizzz

He clearly went for the ball and got the ball. Grealish did the same and as a result this his foot hit Grealish's knee. He didn't attempt to do that, or put any weight on it when it happened... not a red for me. Could have easily been a red though if Grealish had managed to flick the ball on in that instant. Going in studs up always risks that, and we're pretty much used to stud up tackles being reds at this point.

Eternitiy

100% a red card, and I will give one for Chiellini's attempt to rip Sterling's shirt from his chest.

How is cheating like that enabled by only giving a yellow card? I believe 'professional' fouls like that are straight red card offences. It's not fair.

Red00012

I thought it was strange VAR didn’t look at it , it didn’t come out on the tv anyway .

Remember the geese

VAR has been praised in this tournament, mainly for not getting involved as much as we've seen in the Premier League. This however, was a red card. I don't think it would have altered the scoreline after 120 minutes and Jorginho did go on to have his penalty saved, but we'll never know for sure.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bit ironic to whine about Italy should have had a red when both Phillips (two nasty fouls, one booking) and Rice could easily have seen red against Germany. Can compare the Phillips incident to the Jorginho incident, somewhat similar. If the Phillips incident is not a red then neither is Jorginho's scenario.

So, it's only a red when it's against your side. This is how being a fan works.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Never a red because
1. He got to the ball first
2. His foot slipped off the ball and hit grealish

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
100% a red card, and I will give one for Chiellini's attempt to rip Sterling's shirt from his chest.

How is cheating like that enabled by only giving a yellow card? I believe 'professional' fouls like that are straight red card offences. It's not fair.
Chiellini was a fair by the book yellow. He was overconfident, but Saka reacted faster than he expected.

Not 100% red card, but it would be an acceptable decision by the ref to send Jorginho off. He stepped on the ball and slipped to the thigh, but it was a bit careless from him, I agree.

Charles Miller

I think its because he slipped in the ball with his right foot and it was considered non intentional.

Bwuk

It’s not fair. Oh no what a shame.

Saka not Sterling btw.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't believe people are still using a 1980s, "I got the ball" line. The game has changed

You can't go in high, skim the ball and stud someone in the knee these days.

The ref clearly didn't get a decent view, which is why we have VAR isn't it?
If it was the prem it'd have been 100% red.
That feels surreal writing that, as it was always international/european stuff the punishments were a lot harsher.

dove

Can't believe people are still using a 1980s, "I got the ball" line. The game has changed

You can't go in high, skim the ball and stud someone in the knee these days.

The ref clearly didn't get a decent view, which is why we have VAR isn't it?
If it was the prem it'd have been 100% red.
That feels surreal writing that, as it was always international/european stuff the punishments were a lot harsher.
But it was a complete opposite of "go in high, skim the ball". It wasn't high at all and he made a full contact with the ball just to then accidentally slip onto the leg. It was quite a nasty contact but completely accidental. You can obviously see red cards given for it but yellow is probably a correct decision.

DoomSlayer

Very nasty challenge. If it was the other way around, people here would be claiming that England were helped by the referee if the perpetrator was not sent off.

Pscholes18

Clattenberg said because he got the ball first and that causing his foot to richote off th ball into his leg.

90 + 5min

Red card by every rule. Itaiians were very lucky there.

Referee didn't see the whole incident or was little bit coward to give red in that moment of the game and VAR is to afraid to go against their own friends. Other then that, he was very good in my opinion.