Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

Not looking good for cult leader Jose, tough times for his acolytes and followers.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think José knows how to motivate modern players. Early in his career he had players who, for the most part, didn’t develop with the comfort of massive contracts and financial security like many do today. It’s possible his us versus them, go through the fire, sacrifice your body type rhetoric doesn’t vibe well with multimillionaire men in their 20’s who don’t want to have a limp or be in daily pain when they retire. Some of his interactions with Hazard and Pogba, as examples, suggest this. It can work for a while but eventually will become exhausting.

Combine this with a generally more attacking style pervading the league and it’s no surprise his message gets lost, especially when there are other managers who can be just as demanding but offer a better environment and style of play in return.

He used to be able to look at his squads and tell them that if they do as he says they will win, I’m not sure that’s enough these days (or even particularly true!).

I’ll always love the guy, I’d back his first Chelsea team against any other I've ever seen, but I struggle to see how he makes it anywhere near back to the heights of his early career.

MDFC Manager

The Madrid job really did something with him psychologically speaking. I kinda knew back then he wasn't really a good fit there with the culture and politics et al and his ego and character. Wasn't a failed stint for me because he did break the CL curse and got them the Liga. But after that job he was never the same ole Jose again. It's kinda sad to see him like this. He needs to get fired asap and take the time off too find peace in his mind for his own sake.
He took time off and found peace. Trouble is some clubs still see him as something special and will come calling
fecker was giving it big in the Spurs documentary. Saying how managing football is the only thing he knows and loves and how anything else was a false life.

MDFC Manager

£30m Bailly
£27m Mikhitaryan
£89m Pogba
£75m (rising to £90m) Lukaku
£31m Lindelof (As a pundit he went on TV and slagged him off saying he can't head the ball)
£40m Matic
£19m Dalot
£50m Fred
£1.5m Grant
and untold millions spent on Zlatan and Sanchez

That's not counting turning up in a hoodie to the Munich memorial, questioning Martial's decision to be with his newborn, Luke Shaw's mid game brain transplant and of course, Errrrrrrrrrrritage.

Looking back, did he improve a single player in our squad? By the end his tactics amounted to lumping it to Fellaini. He was a truly great manager. Was. We got the B-Tec version.

Because in Pogba, de Gea, Martial and even Sanchez we had some ungodly talent with professional pride.

From 28 November to Boxing day Spurs play Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace, Liverpool, Leicester and Wolves. I look forward to it.
Great post

Mourinho's third season came early.
It's now 2 year cycles with him. Things go bust in the 2nd year.

Not looking good for cult leader Jose, tough times for his acolytes and followers.
Acolytes will still praise their lord.

United Junkie

What happened to Jose? He was a world class manager. You do not win two CLs, PL, Serie A and the La Liga if you are not a world class manager. But he seems to have lost everything he has as a manager.
REAL MADRID!

Cloud7

What happened to Jose? He was a world class manager. You do not win two CLs, PL, Serie A and the La Liga if you are not a world class manager. But he seems to have lost everything he has as a manager.
Managers have a finite lifespan at the top. It’s just like players, you have a peak, and then a point where you’re past your peak. The only exception to this is SAF, which makes him even more remarkable, but there’s no shame in a manager being past their best. It happens to everyone.

What is important is having the self awareness to realize when that time has come, and bow out of the top level with grace, like Carlo going from Bayern to Everton without burning down the world around him.

Foxbatt

Jose is very entertaining for sure as a person on the tv pundit scene. He was great in his tactics early on in his career. Even at United when he beat Ajax his tactics was spot on.
I think he should go back to Portugal. His fights with the press in Spain and Italy was acrimonious. I don't think Spurs have got better players than Everton. That said Spurs and Everton both should have scored before half time. Who is his assistant at Spurs?

RedDevil@84

fecker was giving it big in the Spurs documentary. Saying how managing football is the only thing he knows and loves and how anything else was a false life.
As opposed to saying "I will try to do an OK job. So God help me"?
He is one of the top paid managers in the world. He will not let his value tank by his own mouth. His value would go down automatically when clubs decide he is not going to do anymore magic. Till then there is no reason for him to downplay himself.

Hell, even Moyes talked himself into new jobs multiple times. So Jose can still go on about how good he is.

NK86

Managers have a finite lifespan at the top. It’s just like players, you have a peak, and then a point where you’re past your peak. The only exception to this is SAF, which makes him even more remarkable, but there’s no shame in a manager being past their best. It happens to everyone.

What is important is having the self awareness to realize when that time has come, and bow out of the top level with grace, like Carlo going from Bayern to Everton without burning down the world around him.
Or you know, he can try to evolve his game plans and tactics according to how the game has moved on. Problem with Mourinho isn't so much that he is past his best, it's just that he is so stuck up in that one style of play. Especially now that things haven't been going for him, he is reverting to what he knows well instead of trying to understand that his style of play is the actual reason why things aren't working out for him anymore.

That and the fact that he just burns bridges with everyone wherever he goes, with the exception of perhaps Inter.

MattyB1986

What happened to Jose? the same thing that happened to Wenger. Two stubborn men who have no plan B or adaptability.

littleman

Keep dreaming.

Has there ever been such a renaissance for a washed up manager in football?
Such vitriol from a person who has probably achieved nothing..

I’m interested to see what happens to Mou, but I’m an MUFC fan first and foremost. Not invested in the Mou story.

The Red Thinker

What happened to Jose? the same thing that happened to Wenger. Two stubborn men who have no plan B or adaptability.
Hence the greatness of Sir Alex. He went through 25 years of adapting.

How did he mitigate? He hired different coaches for different eras. Steve Mclaren was so different from Carlos Quieroz and yet they’re only a few years apart.

Sir Alex never let the ego get to him. Always willing to learn. That’s his biggest strength. He was and will always be the God of Pragmatic Football management.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be fair to Wenger, I think his situation was completely different to Mourinho's now. Wenger still got Arsenal top 4 consistently (we are seeing now that it's not exactly a given, considering the competition), and still won regular FA Cups. He got no backing from their board in the transfer market to ever really aspire for more, but they were still a "fashionable" team, one that was fun to watch and players like playing for teams like that. Mourinho reputation was always that of a winner but with a shit style of play. When you lose the results, you have nothing else to go back on and Mourinho can't really point to a lack of spending or backing. He's just made poor decisions and failed to build any sort of style of play to keep up with current times.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
To be fair to Wenger, I think his situation was completely different to Mourinho's now. Wenger still got Arsenal top 4 consistently (we are seeing now that it's not exactly a given, considering the competition), and still won regular FA Cups. He got no backing from their board in the transfer market to ever really aspire for more, but they were still a "fashionable" team, one that was fun to watch and players like playing for teams like that. Mourinho reputation was always that of a winner but with a shit style of play. When you lose the results, you have nothing else to go back on and Mourinho can't really point to a lack of spending or backing. He's just made poor decisions and failed to build any sort of style of play to keep up with current times.
I think wenger wasn't that great, he made "One" great team and milked it for all of his Arsenal Career

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I had him down for getting a trophy at Spurs, an FA cup or League cup, maybe Europa. But after watching that Everton game they will be lucky to finish top half, absolute hot garbage. Lucky there were no Spurs fans in the stadium or they would have been boo'd off at half and full time with that kind of display.

The first half had glimpses, second half was just a train wreck of bang average play, uninspiring football involving a lot of route one, and unmotivated players. Gone by Christmas if that is what Spurs are going to put out on the pitch under Jose.

Tony247

I think he has passed club football. He should try a national team now. Less pressure.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For the sake of his status, he should go to Serie A. It's easier to challenge Juventus in there than trying to implement his football in EPL and challenge for top 4.

RashyForPM

Considering Son and Kane are older than Rashford and Martial, they are more at risk of being ruined by this footballing dinosaur than our lads thankfully were.

I’d move if I were them. They are world class players who need a few trophies on the mantelpiece. Otherwise, they’ll waste their prime years playing for the Portuguese Pulis when their talent deserves big honours like the PL and CL.

RedDevil@84

What is his style of play again?

If I look at what he did at United and now at Spurs, I hardly think we could categorize the team into a defensive or offensive category. Neither teams look/looked solid in defense or fruitful in offense. For me it all simply looks like chaos. I maybe putting it in too much of layman terms, but somehow I am not able to put his football into any category.

OT1214

I remember the opening day of our second season with him. Game against Spurs. His attire was good and he looked fresh and ready to take on the world again. And there was me thinking that Old Jose is back. IIRC we had a good start to the season too. But then things started going south. He, now, is just a parody of his old self.

I think PSG or Inter are the only two possible big jobs that he could land in future. Or International management.

Son

REAL MADRID!
It’s not as simple as Real Madrid as he was exceptional there. Won the league with record points and goals and despite getting torn apart by Barcelona a few times which isn’t exactly an embarrassment given how they were probably the greatest team of all time he did well overall.

Raised the bar at Madrid in his last 2 years especially getting ridiculous amounts of points. The team he helped build then went on to win 4 European Cups in 5 years so he can’t have been that bad.

Those El Classico’s he was in really were the start of the modern interpretation of football at the highest level. Intense pressing and quality on the ball to match. Speed and power too up top.

He may not be the best manager anymore but if you gave him Liverpool, Man City or Bayern he’d have them winning most matches. He just had ridiculous squads in the past after his lucky break at Porto.

We can’t judge someone at Spurs or when he came here to those levels. Chelsea weren’t great when he rejoined either. All top managers need a top side to coach and usually the best team wins almost in-spite of their manager.

Chelsea, Real and maybe even Inter he had experience, quality and squad depth too boot. Went on to dominate because they were superior to just about every other side at the time in every department on the field and bench.

Skills

Snitch
Or you know, he can try to evolve his game plans and tactics according to how the game has moved on. Problem with Mourinho isn't so much that he is past his best, it's just that he is so stuck up in that one style of play. Especially now that things haven't been going for him, he is reverting to what he knows well instead of trying to understand that his style of play is the actual reason why things aren't working out for him anymore.

That and the fact that he just burns bridges with everyone wherever he goes, with the exception of perhaps Inter.
Tbf it's not as easy as it seems or the likes of Capello, Sacchi and Trapattoni would've lasted a lot longer than they did.

It'll eventually happen to the current crop of coaches too as the game moves on again. Alex Ferguson managed to keep up by changing his assistants/coaching staff often enough.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It’s not as simple as Real Madrid as he was exceptional there. Won the league with record points and goals and despite getting torn apart by Barcelona a few times which isn’t exactly an embarrassment given how they were probably the greatest team of all time he did well overall.

Raised the bar at Madrid in his last 2 years especially getting ridiculous amounts of points. The team he helped build then went on to win 4 European Cups in 5 years so he can’t have been that bad.

Those El Classico’s he was in really were the start of the modern interpretation of football at the highest level. Intense pressing and quality on the ball to match. Speed and power too up top.

He may not be the best manager anymore but if you gave him Liverpool, Man City or Bayern he’d have them winning most matches. He just had ridiculous squads in the past after his lucky break at Porto.

We can’t judge someone at Spurs or when he came here to those levels. Chelsea weren’t great when he rejoined either. All top managers need a top side to coach and usually the best team wins almost in-spite of their manager.

Chelsea, Real and maybe even Inter he had experience, quality and squad depth too boot. Went on to dominate because they were superior to just about every other side at the time in every department on the field and bench.
Pochettino must be the best manager ever, consider the level he took Spurs. I agree that you can’t judge a manager true quality at the likes of Spurs as they don’t have a big club budget. The expectations their are not the same as United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Madrid, Barcelona, etc. Mourinho with a team that cost more than 90% of other teams will have a small glimmer of success. However, that is barely a compliment for Mourinho as that should be the norm for most managers at that level. Regardless, Mourinho still has been our most accomplished manager post Sir Alex and that is because we backed him so much with the players he wanted.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did he help building that team? Some of the key players in those 3-4 CL wins

Keylor Navas - Signed under Ancelotti
Carvajal - Signed under Ancelotti
Varane - Signed by Jose
Ramos - Way before Jose
Marcelo - Signed way before Jose was their manager
Casemiro - Signed under Rafa or Zidane
Kroos - Signed underAncelotti
Modric - signed under Zidane
Bale - Signed under Ancelotti
Ronaldo - signed before Jose
Benzema - signed before Jose.

Except one or two players, all were signed before or after Jose.

Players who were signed under Jose
Di Maria - Won 1 CL and was shipped out
Ozil - Didn't win CL and shipped out
Khedira - Won 1 CL and shipped out (He barely played too)
Coentrao - Non entity in CL (Almost)
Nuri Sahin - Shipped out immediately
Modric - Main player in all 4 CL wins

He didn't help build anything, all the major players were signed before or after Jose, if anything the results after Jose showed how much he was holding them back.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Once read an article that the average peak of a world class manager lasts about ten years. That after that, the game seems to pass them by.
He can only blame himself for his lack of evolution.
I don't agree with this notion that Madrid broke him or something. I think majority of his problems are tactical. Just look at Zabaleta's story about the West Ham game against Martial. Not only have his tactics become ineffective, they kill the morale of players. Kane had three touches in the box yesterday. Why would any top player bust their gut to play that way?

Last edited:

Withnail

Such vitriol from a person who has probably achieved nothing..

I’m interested to see what happens to Mou, but I’m an MUFC fan first and foremost. Not invested in the Mou story.
There was no vitriol and there's no need for insults, littleman.

I suppose I can't expect any sense from someone who cites Trump as an example of a tale of redemption. If that's what you think then you're bound to hold contradictory opinions.

You claim you're not invested in the story but you think the Mourinho's is the most fascinating in all of football and you get personal over a reasonable question?

He's 'washed-up' by definition in that his powers have waned and he seems no longer capable of doing what once seemed to come easy. He is no longer motivating his players to run through brick walls for him, his tactics seem out-dated and are clearly no longer as effective as they once were and his players seem off the pace. In short, he is no longer successful.

You said yourself that you were hoping for a redemption arc. To be redeemed you must have fallen.

I was genuinely wondering if there had every been such a tale of redemption for a football manager.

Last edited:

Pughnichi

Only 1 game into the season. They looked terrible though and looking at Spurs forum, they have been similarly terrible for 6 months.

One thing that struck me from the cringe, (but interesting) Amazon documentary is his truly awful people skills. If you’re outside of his ‘circle of trust’ you’re doomed. He just can’t handle anyone that doesn’t share his opinion. A lot of what he says to players is either disrespectful or literally makes no sense. He so negative, rarely offers praise and actually tells people how they should feel!!! How can you tell someone how to feel??

I can’t imagine him being an easy manager to relate to or build a relationship with and he seemed clueless when people/players told him anything other than his own narrative.

he makes decisions and his stubbornness appears to prevent any flexibility to change. He likes Dier (warrior) so Dier plays...regardless of limited ability. He knew Erickson was on his way out so he excludes him. Rose goes to raise valid concerns and walks out frustrated basically saying he’s going to Jose’s superior Levy...to which mourinho responds like a child “you do that”

all obviously scripted and therefore an element of acting involved. But the content we have to believe would be similar

I’m so glad he isn’t our problem anymore.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Spurs forum were arguing if Jose failed at United. Some believe we have not improved since he’s left because we achieved less points.

Surely the way players have developed and now play is a factor? Jose will always have his fan club I guess

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The Spurs forum were arguing if Jose failed at United. Some believe we have not improved since he’s left because we achieved less points.

Surely the way players have developed and now play is a factor? Jose will always have his fan club I guess
They need something to hope for better future with Jose, so this is one way to look at the things.

There might be some truth, we need to improve a lot, our second half of the season form gives me lot of hope but depth is poor which would be very important this season.

Also depends on what points you consider to come up with whether Jose failed or not. He won couple of trophies and 2nd position, so he wasn't a total failure. But Jose wasn't signed to win league cup, he was signed to challenge for CL and PL title, which he didn't achieve. If Jose can't challenge for league and CL then there is no point signing him as he is short term manager, his football is shit, barely improves any young player.

MrBrightside1989

They can't sack Mourinho until the documentary has fully been released and has had time to drop down the amazon ratings list.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He should speak to Marcus about things outside of football that are far from false

youmeletsfly

One thing I didn't understand vs Everton.
Jose knew he'd play against a team that likes to keep the ball, given their midfield and still played his usual counter attacking shit, even if his team has no counter attacking skills(down to his fault).
Also the midfield he played really resembles "hey, this is the shit midfield I have, I need players".

A 3-5-2 in a high press would've worked alright vs Everton but Jose chose to sit back and give the ball to a team that likes having the ball, it's just fecking dumb.

Withnail

Jose knew he'd play against a team that likes to keep the ball, given their midfield and still played his usual counter attacking shit, even if his team has no counter attacking skills(down to his fault).
Also the midfield he played really resembles "hey, this is the shit midfield I have, I need players".

A 3-5-2 in a high press would've worked alright vs Everton but Jose chose to sit back and give the ball to a team that likes having the ball, it's just fecking dumb.
His teams never want the ball. He seems to believe that if you don't have the ball you won't give it away in a dangerous position. For him to implement a high press would require a radical shift in thinking which he is yet to display.

NK86

Tbf it's not as easy as it seems or the likes of Capello, Sacchi and Trapattoni would've lasted a lot longer than they did.

It'll eventually happen to the current crop of coaches too as the game moves on again. Alex Ferguson managed to keep up by changing his assistants/coaching staff often enough.
That's the thing. He always was with the same coaching set up. Maybe it's time to change something which has not been working for a while.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Jose will never risk space behind his defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.