Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen86

I don't think he's gone downhill because he's a "dinosaur" or old fashioned, it wasn't that long ago he was still winning titles and trophies after all. Defensive football can still be effective.

He's just not half the manager he was say 6 or 7 years ago. His man management skills have become more and more volatile, and he's prone to losing the plot. He was never renowned for sexy football, but it's become increasingly negative and mind numbing as the years have gone by. Maybe he's lost his confidence (despite his public persona), or maybe he's paranoid and lost all faith in everyone but himself. Probably the latter. Madrid broke him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't think he's gone downhill because he's a "dinosaur" or old fashioned, it wasn't that long ago he was still winning titles and trophies after all. Defensive football can still be effective.

He's just not half the manager he was say 6 or 7 years ago. His man management skills have become more and more volatile, and he's prone to losing the plot. He was never renowned for sexy football, but it's become increasingly negative and mind numbing as the years have gone by. Maybe he's lost his confidence (despite his public persona), or maybe he's paranoid and lost all faith in everyone but himself. Probably the latter. Madrid broke him.
You've just given several reason why he is a 'dinosaur' :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's not what I said to be fair. I was just saying he didn't take over an exciting team, they were boring at the end of Poch's tenure.
Yeah but you did compare the boringness of Mouirnho to that of Poch by bringing the latter's tenure into it. There are just on different levels of boringness and tripe, that's all I'm saying.

cyberman

Th
At the time he said that, November 2019, their squad was certainly better than ours. Miles better. It was a squad which had just made the CL final a few months prior.

Lloris
Aurier Toby Jan Davies
Sissoko Ndombele
Moura Alli Son
Kane

vs.

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Young
Fred Matic (Pogba was injured)
James Lingard Rashford
Martial

The reason our squad is better than theirs now, is because of the obvious recency bias because we’re in 2nd and winning games, and because Ole’s squad building has been better than Mourinho’s. Latter has tried to make his current crop good at defensive football, while former has brought in better players than those at Spurs (Bruno, Cavani, Maguire) and played modern football with them. This is why we’re much better than Spurs atm and why Mourinho is drastically failing at his job. He’s somehow made them worse than the 14th place side under Poch.
That was a fluke run. They were as bad in the league then as they are now.
Its literally 3 years of this shit for them at this stage.They went a year without an away victory ffs

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And playing absolutely dire. A poor excuse for what is supposed to be called football.
He seems to be turning Tottenham from an exciting side that got to the CL final into a boring ambitionless turnoff.
He cannot blame everything on Harry Kane injury while he refuses to use Dele and Bale.
His football is at least bearable if he wins big trophies, else there is no point in retaining him.

Good with developing young player? No
Long term vision for the club? No
Good with dressing room? No
Good in getting maximum from his players? No
His wages are reasonable? Hell no

There is not a single reason to retain him if he doesn't win big trophies.

Oldyella

At the time he said that, November 2019, their squad was certainly better than ours. Miles better. It was a squad which had just made the CL final a few months prior.

Lloris
Aurier Toby Jan Davies
Sissoko Ndombele
Moura Alli Son
Kane

vs.

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Young
Fred Matic (Pogba was injured)
James Lingard Rashford
Martial

The reason our squad is better than theirs now, is because of the obvious recency bias because we’re in 2nd and winning games, and because Ole’s squad building has been better than Mourinho’s. Latter has tried to make his current crop good at defensive football, while former has brought in better players than those at Spurs (Bruno, Cavani, Maguire) and played modern football with them. This is why we’re much better than Spurs atm and why Mourinho is drastically failing at his job. He’s somehow made them worse than the 14th place side under Poch.
Your comparing teams there not squads, and honestly, Kane aside it's still pretty much a coin flip. We are in a better position now because Spurs team hasn't changed while we have added new players and pushed those in the above team onto the bench/squad. Spurs have added a DM, that's about it.

bsCallout

Yeah but you did compare the boringness of Mouirnho to that of Poch by bringing the latter's tenure into it. There are just on different levels of boringness and tripe, that's all I'm saying.
I didn't compare either. I was just highlighting the fact that he didn't take over some attacking and exciting team as was suggested. Mourinho has managed to continue that snowball, and as with Mourinho that snowball picks up speed very quickly.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Your comparing teams there not squads, and honestly, Kane aside it's still pretty much a coin flip. We are in a better position now because Spurs team hasn't changed while we have added new players and pushed those in the above team onto the bench/squad. Spurs have added a DM, that's about it.
Not for anyone with a rational brain. Spurs have an ageing squad with one world-class and one very good player. Utd have a fantastic young side that is only getting better, no contest at all and I've said that all season while posters were gushing over the Spurs team.

Oldyella

Not for anyone with a rational brain. Spurs have an ageing squad with one world-class and one very good player. Utd have a fantastic young side that is only getting better, no contest at all and I've said that all season while posters were gushing over the Spurs team.
Those teams were more than a year ago and includes Young, James and Lingard..

stubie

I’m more embarrassed we lost heavily to that Spurs team than losing to Sheffield United

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Funny thing is a young Mourinho would constantly ridicule the kind of manager he is now.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

romufc

Forget Spurs fans, caftards were convinced that they were winning the league during that one game they lead 3-0 in (and drew). It was never going to happen.
Exactly, everyone was talking about if we backed him etc.. when he keeps stinking out the place wherever he goes, it used to be 3 years before but it seems its sooner now.

TrustInJanuzaj

Those teams were more than a year ago and includes Young, James and Lingard..
Even then that Spurs team a year ago was heading in the wrong direction. The core of their great team from a few years ago was either gone (Dembele) or ageing (Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirel etc) and while Utd clearly had issues I think we had massive potential even then which is mainly down to the excellent job Ole has done and continues to do.

TrustInJanuzaj

I had a £20 bet with my Dad when Spurs were top back in October that they wouldn't get top four and I have to say I'm feeling really confident now. I expect they will finish behind Chelsea and Leicester for certain, with an outside chance they finish behind, Everton, Villa perhaps even Arsenal, unless they finally realise that Mourinho is the problem and sack him.

Oldyella

They have spent around 220mil on players since summer 2019.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/alletransfers/verein/148
Yeah and it's been wasted. Who have they signed that actually improves that team? A DM swapping out Alli in a change of formation. It's the same as when he was with is, aside from his ongoing negative tactics he seems to have lost his eye for a player and is signing players for he sake of it.

Even then that Spurs team a year ago was heading in the wrong direction. The core of their great team from a few years ago was either gone (Dembele) or ageing (Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirel etc) and while Utd clearly had issues I think we had massive potential even then which is mainly down to the excellent job Ole has done and continues to do.
Definitely, they were just past their peak of the teams cycle while we were on the way back up, but at that time the teams were a coin flip apart aside from Kane who was obviously a big difference maker.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I imagine what Mourinho cares most about now, is just hanging on the the cup final, and then get a fluke win there.

No matter if they play bad football under him, he will get to say "i won a trophy with Spurs", you know he will live of that moment for years.

Question is, will he even make it to the final at this rate?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't compare either. I was just highlighting the fact that he didn't take over some attacking and exciting team as was suggested. Mourinho has managed to continue that snowball, and as with Mourinho that snowball picks up speed very quickly.
You did, but let's leave it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Jose said that about Jose's ManUtd squad, not the 2019-20 squad.
19/20 didn’t have Lukaku, Herrera & Sanchez which Mourinho players, everything else are the same plus Maguire. While Bissaka is technically like for like replacement for ageing Valencia who also did very well under Mourinho as a right back when his leg was still there.

RashyForPM

Jose said that about Jose's ManUtd squad, not the 2019-20 squad.
Fair enough, but the squad he used most frequently in his last season was as follows:

DDG
Valencia Smalling Lindelof Young
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Lingard Lukaku Martial

That’s even worse actually, so I see where he’s coming from, and again, Spurs are only a worst team than us now because he played a massive part in making them that way (and our recruitment).

Robindinho

Jose gonna Jose, the odd good spell of results/team on a high will always turn and revert back to the dull performances and sour atmosphere. Normally the third season though, not so soon.

Wasn’t there a BBC article a couple of months ago saying how Mourinho was back and has rediscovered his mojo again. Pretty sure Simon Stone wrote it. What say you now Simon? :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fair enough, but the squad he used most frequently in his last season was as follows:

DDG
Valencia Smalling Lindelof Young
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Lingard Lukaku Martial

That’s even worse actually, so I see where he’s coming from, and again, Spurs are only a worst team than us now because he played a massive part in making them that way (and our recruitment).
Talking out of his arse (Jose btw) as usual. He bigs up his squad when he takes over and then shits on them when going gets tough. He said this same squad was good enough to challenge for the league.

RashyForPM

Th
That was a fluke run. They were as bad in the league then as they are now.
Its literally 3 years of this shit for them at this stage.They went a year without an away victory ffs
Probably, but you don’t make a CL final completely by accident. I cannot name a single CL finalist who got there by sheer luck. Under Poch, it’s fair to say they devoted their attention in early 2019 to progressing in the CL. Also, that team Mourinho took over is certainly better than the one Ole inherited.
Our squad that season before Bruno and Ighalo was even worse. In most matches, lads like Chong, Pereira, Jones etc, who with all due respect wouldn’t make our 3rd team now, were frequently getting on the bench and Jesse and James were essentially key players.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Probably, but you don’t make a CL final completely by accident. I cannot name a single CL finalist who got there by sheer luck. Under Poch, it’s fair to say they devoted their attention in early 2019 to progressing in the CL. Also, that team Mourinho took over is certainly better than the one Ole inherited.

Our squad that season before Bruno and Ighalo was even worse. In most matches, lads like Chong, Pereira, Jones etc, who with all due respect wouldn’t make our 3rd team now, were frequently getting on the bench and Jesse and James were essentially key players.
Chelsea 2012?
Maybe divine intervention isn't the same as luck though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s very Trumpy isn’t he? Narcissistic obviously but his sullen demeanour and facial expressions and the way he treats the media is a carbon copy at times. His occasional humour is always more intentional than Trump though, I’ll give him that.

Falcow

Couldn't agree more. The spurs having a better squad than us narrative is bonkers now and was bonkers 12 months ago. I remember debating this with people on here, there is zero basis to say they have a better squad. Better attack, yes....I would take Kane and Son in a heat beat.

TrustInJanuzaj

He’s very Trumpy isn’t he? Narcissistic obviously but his sullen demeanour and facial expressions and the way he treats the media is a carbon copy at times. His occasional humour is always more intentional than Trump though, I’ll give him that.
He has the same irrational cult-like following too!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is just not the same manager anymore. He was always defensive, but he was not coward. Otherwise he wouldn’t have won all the stuff he has. He was also the one who basically stopped Barca from winning 3 CLs in a row or another treble in 2011.
His biggest issues are that he doesn’t adjust to the players he has and that he has just become the biggest coward around. He shouldn’t expect a mediocre Spurs or United 2018 or Chelsea 2014 defence to defend like Chelsea 2005 or Inter 2010. That was never going to work, those were completely different teams.

For me the turning point / final confirmation that I would never want him at United / that he is past it came in the CL 2nd leg against Atletico in 2013/14. 0-0 in Madrid. It then takes a very special kind of coward to start the return leg at home with 6(!!!) defenders (not defensive players, but actually 6 defenders) against a defensive team like Atletico AND afterwards still criticise your only creative player Hazard for not defending. That’s when for me his decline started and despite winning a couple of trophies since the decline has not stopped yet.
Then once he was also a good man manager until one day ages ago he found a special bus and realised that he can’t only park it but also throw players under it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
His football is at least bearable if he wins big trophies, else there is no point in retaining him.

Good with developing young player? No
Long term vision for the club? No
Good with dressing room? No
Good in getting maximum from his players? No
His wages are reasonable? Hell no

There is not a single reason to retain him if he doesn't win big trophies.
That is right.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's what I find most sad and frustrating about Jose, as someone who really used to like him. He's become everything he hated.
That is a very good point.
I had long admired the way he was able to extract the extra output from his players and got them to play as a unit.
But even my admiration is waning.

romufc

When spurs were doing well, I saw the tweets of some fans showing the league table and saying... the man we sacked for a PE teacher..

Now that we are up there, we are a individual brilliance team.

Jose peaked a long time ago, he has not moved on with the game which is his downfall. If anyone watched the documentary for Spurs, never did he once talk about attacking play / patterns, it was all about defence, defensive actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.