Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I really didn’t like him when he was here, and never wanted him associated with our club, but at the same time I’m not enjoying his decline. He was more entertaining when he was an egocentric t**t, football is more interesting place with him on top form (despite his brand of football).
He still is that. He just hasn't got the football to back it up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think he can't, he's an itelligent fellow and he wouldn't have achieved all the success he had if he wasn't.

He just won't or doesn't want to due to his world class ego where in his mind, he's always in the right and nothing negative is ever due to his own actions.
Your second sentence means that he can't, you described a limitation and someone that isn't that intelligent. Someone intelligent knows that he isn't always right, knows that he needs to adapt and learn all the time. That's why SAF is the undisputed greatest manager, he is actually intelligent.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How long is the typical shelf life of a top level football manager anyway? Might deserve its own thread, but how does Mourinho compare with other top managers in the game's history?

Mourinho won his first league title in 2003 and his last (to date) in 2015, and has had his top management credentials questioned since then. So a peak of 12-13 years with only one or two seasons without success in that period.

Fergie became successful and more or less maintained it since Aberdeen's first title in 1980, until retirement in 2013, with two fallow/rebuilding periods (1987-1990, 2004-2006). But what about others?

Wenger was Arsenal's manager for 22 years but ultimately he wasn't at the very top of his profession for large periods, most notably ~2009-2018.

Can't be bothered looking at other managers' Wiki's so if anyone else has any examples or reference points... To be honest, if Mourinho is truly done as a top manager then he's hardly had a bad run, has he?
The average is usually a decade give or take. LVG, Sacci, Ancelotti, Capello, Del Bosque, Trapattoni etc.
Feegie is an outlier.

buckooo1978

Levy will not want to spend the tens of millions it will cost to sack Jose.....

I wonder how far down he will drag them by that point

With Spurs and Citys likely problems next year we have to establish ourselves as the main challengers to Liverpool next year

sp_107

I really wish we didn't take the route of LVG/Jose, We lost literally 6 years in between them.

If you look at their records obviously they looked like a good appointment at that time but we were unlucky that not only wasted lot of money but also travelled backwards.

Rolaholic

Your second sentence means that he can't, you described a limitation and someone that isn't that intelligent. Someone intelligent knows that he isn't always right, knows that he needs to adapt and learn all the time. That's why SAF is the undisputed greatest manager, he is actually intelligent.
I think he could if he was ever willing to admit any fault whatsoever and self reflect but he's proven incapable of that as he's gotten older.

That's not to say that he isn't intelligent in his own right. Prime Jose was one of the greatest and most tactically astute managers I've ever seen but he's become a shell of his former self with his refusal to adapt his methods/approach over time and for that very reason, he can't hold a candle to Ferguson in my opinion.

It takes a certain level of self awareness and introspection to have a sustained run of excellence/success over different era's which Jose lacks dearly

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How long is the typical shelf life of a top level football manager anyway? Might deserve its own thread, but how does Mourinho compare with other top managers in the game's history?

Mourinho won his first league title in 2003 and his last (to date) in 2015, and has had his top management credentials questioned since then. So a peak of 12-13 years with only one or two seasons without success in that period.

Fergie became successful and more or less maintained it since Aberdeen's first title in 1980, until retirement in 2013, with two fallow/rebuilding periods (1987-1990, 2004-2006). But what about others?

Wenger was Arsenal's manager for 22 years but ultimately he wasn't at the very top of his profession for large periods, most notably ~2009-2018.

Can't be bothered looking at other managers' Wiki's so if anyone else has any examples or reference points... To be honest, if Mourinho is truly done as a top manager then he's hardly had a bad run, has he?
Fergie really was one of a kind. Stayed at the top for 40 years, refreshing his teams time and time again in the face of changing footballing styles, social media and player power. The best there ever was, really.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I really wish we didn't take the route of LVG/Jose, We lost literally 6 years in between them.

If you look at their records obviously they looked like a good appointment at that time but we were unlucky that not only wasted lot of money but also travelled backwards.
Still don't think LVG was a terrible choice. We needed someone to build on the possession football he implemented. We went in the opposite direction.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He's totally disinterested with the game now. I remember watching his interview in the summer not long before he got the job sitting on the Monaco Marina talking to Bryan Swanson at Sky saying "I'm refreshed, ready to go etc" it was all a pretence then. He just took the Spurs job because it was convienient for him living in London and he knew top club jobs in London are rare to come by and Spurs was the only viable option. Done as a a top manager and too early.

ghagua

Screw it, loving every single minute of Maureen's demise. Did not like him before he took over United, but despise him even more now after the games he played to get sacked here. Who is stupid enough to make another big payoff to him after Spurs?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If you combine the two spells at Chelsea, then four jobs in the same country is never a good career move for a managerial great. He’s gone from being a rival to Sir Alex and Wenger to a journeyman. When Klopp and Guardiola leave their current clubs it won’t be for another English one. Their work here will be done, as it was for Mourinho about thirteen years ago.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Only way they spend millions is if they sell Kane

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think he could if he was ever willing to admit any fault whatsoever and self reflect but he's proven incapable of that as he's gotten older.

That's not to say that he isn't intelligent in his own right, prime Jose was one of the greatest managers I've ever seen but he's become a shell of himself with his refusal to adapt his methods over time and for that very reason, he can't hold a candle to Ferguson in my opinion
Your first sentence makes little sense in this context, you are basically suggesting that he could if he was someone else. He is himself and can't adapt at that level, he has had 10 years to do it and didn't despite many opportunities. And you are the one who brought intelligence into the question which I assume is relative to other managers, no one is suggesting that he is dumb but you can't say that he is particularly intelligent when you also say that he can't admit fault or self reflect, these things will limit your cognition.

Pagh Wraith

Saying they don't have a team right now, just a group of players he can field. Went on about the injuries.

ColvaleGoa

All I want is his team to perform like this on Sunday against us. Give us 3 easy points and we will thank you Mourinho.

AshRK

He has a huge ego and is not ready to adapt to the modern game. His philosophy is winning but you have to coach your team to do that. He is stuck beating barca with inter and would love all his wins to be like that. The guy should quit club football and manage international teams.

It is sad he is just tarnishing his legacy because in his prime he was damn good, much better than all the hipsters that some start raving about.

MooseTheMooche

If he does that they'll beat us.
I am afraid of this match. Yes, they are having a terrible run of games, and yes, they are playing this utter shite of football, but something tells me that it is going to be a tough match for us, kinda like the one against his 2015 chelsea side, where we were dominating them at SB, only to lose 1-0.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Good thing, that Mourinho is blaming the injuries for this and not looking for his own mistakes.

Leipzig played their first game against Spurs without Upamecano, Konate and Orban (their three best CBs) and Nagelsmann never cried about it. Just went to London, risked Ampadu and it worked out well. Good coaches have solutions for circumstances like this, Mourinho hiding behind the injuries. Of course Kane and Son are big losses, but no chance you can't play better than this in these two games.

lsd

The Oracle
Its the negative vibe he brings to all his teams now . He just seems to suck any positivity out off his players . He never looks happy the players don't look happy and the same for the people watching

SuperiorXI

I am afraid of this match to be honest. Yes, they are having a terrible run of games, and yes, they are playing this utter shite of football, but something tells me that it is going to be a tough match for us, kinda like the one against his 2015 chelsea side, where we were dominating them at SB, only to lose 1-0.
It's football at the end of the day. Logic doesn't always prevail.

Sylar

When he joined, speaking on his appointment, Jose said: “I am excited to be joining a Club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters. The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me.”

why isn't he using any of the academy? Why isn't he using the squad that excited him?

yes he has two (key) injuries up top but that shouldn't mean they are this bad almost every game now especially in defence
it's like his season 2 ending and 3 stint at United where there didn't seem to be a plan and just hope for something

he is the special once. This whole thing about it not being a Jose squad is such a bad excuse. Why can't he just manage what he has, otherwise why join this team if you need to buy another 6 players

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
When he joined, speaking on his appointment, Jose said: “I am excited to be joining a Club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters. The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me.”

why isn't he using any of the academy? Why isn't he using the squad that excited him?

yes he has two (key) injuries up top but that shouldn't mean they are this bad almost every game now especially in defence
it's like his season 2 ending and 3 stint at United where there didn't seem to be a plan and just hope for something

he is the special once. This whole thing about it not being a Jose squad is such a bad excuse. Why can't he just manage what he has, otherwise why join this team if you need to buy another 6 players
how dare you ask him to use the reserves, I bet you dont even know what they look like. /Jose

Shark

@NotShark
Well if he doesn't get a result he'll be in serious trouble you'd have to think. If he goes classic Mourinho park the bus tactics it's something we'll really struggle with.
Before we signed Bruno. Pogba should also be on the bench, we should have more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.