Josh Doughty

khoazany

Sounds interesting that he said he'll mainly play with the U21s.Not official but I heard we already signed him.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He officially signed on Tuesday and has been part of the Canadian U/18 squad most of this year.

He played v USA in April and against Uruguay and the Ukraine during a training camp in France last month.

Born on 8th April 1997, he is eligible for our Youth Team this season and of course Academy football but appears he will feature mainly in U/21's.

If parents are British as quoted in article, there are no issues with visa's etc.

Interesting scouting!

khoazany

I came here hoping to hear he is not a striker.
No he's a CM.

If he will play with the U21s here's hoping a couple will be out on loan.Even Goss and Willock can't get games at the moment with Pearson,Harrop,Pereira and Rothwell are the more obvious selections.

sport2793

Based on recent quotes, he's pursuing US citizenship. Wouldn't be surprised if Klinsmann recruits him to play for the US (sorry Canada).

Brightonian

England eligible :cool:
:lol: Don't even joke. His name and the fact that he's theoretically eligible would end up in some tabloid and before you know it Wilshere will be tweeting that he 'hates them fecking canucks, go back where you came from eh'.

SirAF

Ageist
:lol: Don't even joke. His name and the fact that he's theoretically eligible would end up in some tabloid and before you know it Wilshere will be tweeting that he 'hates them fecking canucks, go back where you came from eh'.
:lol:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
:lol: How can you dislike the Canadians, they are so nice!

khoazany

When is he expected to play and in which Utd team?
Think he's available to play for both U18s and U21s now but he has to fight for a spot - which is not that easy with all the players returned.The likes of Rathbone couldn't even make the bench at the moment.Don't think he can get ahead of Harrop/Pereira/Powell/Weir/James for the U21s yet.

Reckon we'll see him in the U18s soon with the very tight schedule ahead.

Last edited:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Doughty played in the U/16's on the weekend and came off half way through the second half. Hasn't played in months so looked understandably rusty against a very strong Everton team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
With him saying he'll mainly play for the u21s I'm hoping the club really do rate him that high. Also hope he will stay with Canada, having a United player, even just a United reserve player could be huge for football in Canada.

khoazany

With him saying he'll mainly play for the u21s I'm hoping the club really do rate him that high. Also hope he will stay with Canada, having a United player, even just a United reserve player could be huge for football in Canada.
Let's see how he fares in the U18s.We'll have 5 matches in 14 days starting from this weekend so I think we'll use our first XI for the two Derby clashes and vs. Boro and rotate a lot for the other 2, surely he'll play in that case.It's funny that we're crying about having too many U18s matches in a short period of time when the U21s had to play BCD friendlies to make up for the lack of fixtures.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
TORONTO -- Just 18, Josh Doughty is rubbing shoulders with some of soccer's elite.

The Vancouver-born forward is honing his skills in England with Manchester United's under-21 team. Doughty signed in January 2014, eventually joining the storied club in November after getting his international clearance.

"It was a dream come true," Doughty said after a recent training session with the Canadian under-20 team. "It's what I expected. It's really high-level, challenges you every day. It's a great place to learn.

"So it's the right place to be if you want to improve your game."

Practice can involve lining up with members of the first team squad.

"You start to get used to it, but at the beginning I was thinking 'Oh my God.' You're in close proximity with all these great players and you can just learn off them, playing with and against them so it's great."

Born in Canada to British parents, Doughty was four when he moved to Arizona where he grew up. His father's work with an aerospace company took him to Canada and the U.S.

As a result, Doughty holds three passports. While he has joined Canadian age-group teams the last three years, he is not yet tied to a national program.

"I probably have some choices to make in the future but for now I'm just focused on Canada," he said.

Canada clearly wants to keep the lanky Doughty wearing the Maple Leaf.

"He's very light of foot, a very technical player," said under-20 coach Rob Gale. "Great in close quarters."

The teenager can also play a variety of roles, including forward, box-to-box midfielder and as a No. 10.

"He's almost in that Berbatov mould," he said, referencing Bulgarian and PAOK star Dimitar Berbatov. "In close control, tight quarters, (he) works the ball very nicely."

Gale, who holds British and Canadian citizenship himself, says he has a good relationship with the Doughty family. He hopes Canada's commitment to and investment in Doughty and others will reap rewards.

Doughty joined Real Salt Lake's residential developmental academy, which was based in Arizona. He spent two seasons there, helping Salt Lake to the U.S under-16 title in 2012-13, and was spotted by Manchester United at the Generation Adidas Cup, MLS's youth championship.

He went over for a trial and signed. His family is now in the process of joining him in England.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/vancou...ith-manchester-united-under-21-team-1.2552812