Juan Mata's Book - Suddenly a Footballer

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Mata has a book coming out with some mildly interesting excerpts already. Cue everyone saying how shit he is now...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He might not be a great footballer any longer, but he is one of the few people who have brought a bit of class to this club in recent times.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"I told them I didn't need a helicopter but Ed Woodward insisted"

norm87cro

After the dust settles this should be a good read (in retrospect) given his CV for us, Chelsea and Valencia. Probably not a good time for this thread given his current form.

SATA

Weird choice of book title but he’s a great bloke who may well be past his best as a footballer. Don’t need the insults at him some of you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime

HowieC

He was incredibly productive in Chelsea, producing goals and assists despite being physically weak and slow.

Wonder why he declined so much upon moving here. Its not like he ever relied on physical attributes.

NJM78

I'm going to read it as slowly as Mata moves. Should finish it by 2022.

Bwuk

He was incredibly productive in Chelsea, producing goals and assists despite being physically weak and slow.

Wonder why he declined so much upon moving here. Its not like he ever relied on physical attributes.
We've been a shambles since he signed that's why. No-one we sign does well here in general.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We've been a shambles since he signed that's why. No-one we sign does well here in general.
He was also the focal point of Chelsea's team, too. Everything basically revolved around him. He was always a luxury player, but a luxury player that when used properly could be insanely productive, and the fact that he was a luxury player is why Jose promptly fecked him off.

Moyes on the other hand, spent an at the time club record fee to buy him and immediately shoved him on the right hand side of a constantly changing team because he had no idea how to use him. He was doomed here before he ever got going, really.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I sense Mata is too smart for his book to be any good. Not a man likely to say anything he shouldn't.

jackal&hyde

He might not be a great footballer any longer, but he is one of the few people who have brought a bit of class to this club in recent times.
I agree and that is why i am happy we kept him. You have to have some good characters in there even if they are past their best.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

He was a square peg in a round hole. The fact that he kept getting played at RW rather than his favoured position was not only a problem in and of itself but also a symptom of the underlying fact that we were a team without a clear idea of what we wanted.

He was still very productive over the first few seasons here, mind. It was only during Mou's reign that his productivity dropped off a cliff.

Idxomer

His best period here was under LVG. The only reason he survived under Mourinho was that the Portuguese didn't want to seem like the bad guy at first. His latest contract renewal was a joke on the fans.

By the way, it's a shame the way the club handled LVG's departure. For me, he is one of the most professional and respectable people we've had at the club in the last 6 years. If the club had a better structure in place, he could've been a real success.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He was also the focal point of Chelsea's team, too. Everything basically revolved around him. He was always a luxury player, but a luxury player that when used properly could be insanely productive, and the fact that he was a luxury player is why Jose promptly fecked him off.

Moyes on the other hand, spent an at the time club record fee to buy him and immediately shoved him on the right hand side of a constantly changing team because he had no idea how to use him. He was doomed here before he ever got going, really.
He's not a luxury player. A luxury player is an attacker that only does something when the team is in possession. That's not Mata, he's always hard at work no matter how good his output is.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of the best players around before we bought him.

Feels like I've said that about everyone we've signed for 6 years.

Cursed FC.

Massive Spanner

He's not a luxury player. A luxury player is an attacker that only does something when the team is in possession. That's not Mata, he's always hard at work no matter how good his output is.
I'd classify a luxury player as someone who can only perform at their best in a certain system, when the team is built around him i.e. Mata

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'd classify a luxury player as someone who can only perform at their best in a certain system, when the team is built around him i.e. Mata
That's not what a luxury player is though. Messi is a luxury player. He doesn't have to do any defending because his energy is best used when Barca have the ball. Doesn't mean the team needs to be built around him in order for him to be effective.

Massive Spanner

That's not what a luxury player is though. Messi is a luxury player. He doesn't have to do any defending because his energy is best used when Barca have the ball. Doesn't mean the team needs to be built around him in order for him to be effective.
I disagree.

Scriblerus

He was a lovely No 10, though not quick. I used to wish we had him when he was at Chelsea. We bought him and played him out of position in a team expected to break quickly. Never got the best out of him - classic case of hammering square peg into round hole.