Judging individual players based on collective accomplishments...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Common practise in the game, and leads to a lot of under and over rating of players. It’s particularly annoying because it’s not necessary at all. Everyone has eyes, can’t we just call the best players the best players?

If a half decent player wins the World Cup, there’s a fair chance he will win the Balloon too. The two should not be that closely related, but they are. One of the biggest robberies was in 2002 when R9 (my favourite ever footballer) won the Balloon despite missing 8 months of the season with injury, but he came back and won the World Cup and the Golden Boot. The second place player was Michael Ballack, who dragged Bayer Leverkusen to the CL final, then proceeded to drag Germany to the same World Cup final. Far more deserving than Ronaldo, but because his team didn’t win the tournament, he wasn’t the best.

On a micro level, it happens every single game. ‘If they had held on for the win, I would have given him MOTM, but now I’m going to give it to x’. You are literally not allowed to be the official best player on the pitch unless your team wins.

I appreciate that football is about winning, nobody is disputing that, but only teams can be awarded victories for football matches. From a United perspective, I think some of our players have gotten a poor rap due to our teams struggles too, and so long as we don’t win, an individual will need to work 3 times as hard as a counterpart in a trophy winning side to be considered the best player.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think far too many united players are slated on this forum for performances which are actually as a result of a team dynamic. For example, Martial gets a very hard time, but the midfield behind him is particularly poor and the service he gets is rarely exceptional. Rashford was given a hard time earlier this season when Martial was injured back in the autumn, but again he was carrying the whole attacking threat on his shoulders and the support was poor. I'm not saying these guys are the very best players and they are just two of many examples, but I think there are plenty of players in the team who would play better if the team was performing as a unit at a higher level. The trouble is there are no real leaders in that team to drag everybody else upto the next level. Maybe Bruno may turn out to be that player.

Paul_Scholes18

Sometimes it is the opposite. Teams and players win much, but do not get rated highly or as highly as they should be.
Goals seem to be everything and goals plus wins even better.

It is mainly midfielders that reads the game well without doing spectacular things that often gets underrated.