Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

Mainoldo

Always have done, call me strange but I believe that managers who’ve spent their careers playing or managerial, at the top level know what it takes to win titles.
So why the hell are you satisfied with our current manager?

crossy1686

career ending
So why the hell are you satisfied with our current manager?
Most points since Fergie with a team that’s comprised of youth team players and Solskjaer has won a hell of a lot and knows what it takes to win. He’s been part of one of the most competitive dressing rooms ever at United and will know how to replicate it. Why the hell aren’t you satisfied and constantly looking for the next ‘sure thing’ when they’re flashes in the pan?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ffs Raees he makes me feel old and I’m contemplating what I’ve been doing with my life :lol:
He hasn’t won anything yet. Might burn out at a young age...if that makes you feel better :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
And we want to hire a manager that has never mounted a title challenge in his playing or managerial career to win us a league title? If we want to be perennial top 4 candidates then great, get him in tomorrow
And we want to hire a manager that has never mounted a title challenge in his playing or managerial career to win us a league title? If we want to be perennial top 4 candidates then great, get him in tomorrow
So... we can stop being happy with top 4 now and expect the club to finally start competing for the title?

Just to be clear on the expectations here.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Surely Pochettino is a better bet no? Exactly the same experience but he got one CL round further. If he’d of got dumped out tonight this thread wouldn’t have got a bump is my point
I like Ole but I have to say I’m impressed with this guy and have been hearing great things for years. He could be the next really good German manager but you’re right about everyone going mad about him after tonight but it’s an achievement. Their team is worth nothing close to Madrid’s. As far as the DOF comment goes I think they do good business and spot really good prospects early. It was a throwaway comment originally to be honest. If this was over 2 legs you’d imagine Madrid would have gone through...

Poch I would have said should have been our next manager with a top class youth oriented DOF (a bit like the RB setup) but ole and his staff are doing well going back to the Fergie way and that’s ok with me.

el3mel

Most points since Fergie with a team that’s comprised of youth team players and Solskjaer has won a hell of a lot and knows what it takes to win. He’s been part of one of the most competitive dressing rooms ever at United and will know how to replicate it. Why the hell aren’t you satisfied and constantly looking for the next ‘sure thing’ when they’re flashes in the pan?
Most points in the league ? I mean that's not true really. Even LVG got more points in his first season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well it bugs me. I won’t lie. It’s lack of respect to current manager and most managers don’t talk about that until the club changes manager one more time but he just couldn’t shut his mouth. His ego had to tell the world Real Madrid wanted me. Says something about his character. And character is important as a manager. The players have to respect you. But then again he’s had a good career so far.
That's what's most important here for me. You can find something bothersome about almost any manager/player/individual.

Mainoldo

That doesn’t back your original quote.

You are proving you are happy to settle for where we are but then your not happy to settle for where we are with another manager? It doesn’t make no sense.

When you say constantly looking for the next sure thing? I don’t remember our club ever doing that since SAF left.

I’m just trying to point out why people are questioning you as your sounding like a hypocrite. You can give an honest opinion and be respected.

Just to disprove. This is not the best point total, The first 11’s age is no different to squads before him and many managers have been great without playing in successfully sides.

crossy1686

career ending
So... we can stop being happy with top 4 now and expect the club to finally start competing for the title?

Just to be clear on the expectations here.
You tell me, you’re the one who wants to hire a new manager and hit reset on the current situation. What do you feel is fair for a new manager next season?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some do. Guarantees of failure. Sarri failing at Juventus with big egos and without the kind of players he wanted was a very predictable disaster.
None do but the closest manager to do it, Klopp, happens to be the same type of managers that Nagelsmann is. It's all about building a system that elevates players and everyone pulling in the same direction and some clubs won't fit them, Barcelona, Real Madrid and the current Juventus come to mind.

crossy1686

career ending
That doesn’t back your original quote.

You are proving you are happy to settle for where we are but then your not happy to settle for where we are with another manager? It doesn’t make no sense.

When you say constantly looking for the next sure thing? I don’t remember our club ever doing that since SAF left.

I’m just trying to point out why people are questioning you as your sounding like a hypocrite. You can give an honest opinion and be respected.

Just to disprove. This is not the best point total, The first 11’s age is no different to squads before him and many managers have been great without playing in successfully sides.
Your respect means absolutely nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you happy.
I’m merely pointing out that sacking a manager to bring in another manager to start a new ‘project, is a fecking stupid idea just because someone won a game of football.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You tell me, you’re the one who wants to hire a new manager and hit reset on the current situation. What do you feel is fair for a new manager next season?
No I don't. When did I say that?

All I did was comment on your "a title is expected at United" statement.

el3mel

No I don't. When did I say that?

All I did was comment on your "a title is expected at United" statement.
This always bugged me a little bit to be fair. With Ole in charge you see people are fine with transitional season and solid top 4 finish as long as we progress, then some ask for Poch or now Julian and the responses are they're losers and don't win trophies. I mean the standard should be consistent that's all. You can disprove of hiring Poch because he doesn't win trophies when you consider current United under Ole to be in a rebuild process anyway. Kind of double standards for me.

I currently have become more open to Ole and I think he did pretty well this year and now deserves another season. I wanted him sacked previously but for now he has done well enough to get another season and see where this will go, but this kind of standard just boggles me. It's like trophies and winning only matter with someone like Poch but for current United manager no it's not.

Glorio

Sorry, you folks know this guy would transform us how exactly?

2 managers - one is a club legend, is already at the club, and took us to 3rd. The other is in a weaker league and hasn't done any better. What's the basis of replacing our current manager sorry?

Mainoldo

Your respect means absolutely nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you happy.
I’m merely pointing out that sacking a manager to bring in another manager to start a new ‘project, is a fecking stupid idea just because someone won a game of football.
I can tell it means nothing because like I said your showing like most that you supporting a manager is more important than supporting the club. Hence why you prefer ‘your’ manager to another manager

The project should always be to win the league as you said yourself earlier. So why are you going on swings and roundabouts disproving your original quote.

Don’t bring high standards when you don’t have non.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
None do but the closest manager to do it, Klopp, happens to be the same type of managers that Nagelsmann is. It's all about building a system that elevates players and everyone pulling in the same direction and some clubs won't fit them, Barcelona, Real Madrid and the current Juventus come to mind.
Yeah but you need a perfect storm for that i.e. a big (or wealthy) clubs willing to completely change their roster to build something from scratch (or close). He doesn't happen often and very few clubs would that that for a young manager. Some coaches have "profiles". Zidane for exemple would have an easier time managing a team of stars without making a lot of changes at the very beginning when Sarri needs to have players that exactly fit his gameplan. And i still don't really know where Nagelsmann will stand eventually.

Mainoldo

Sorry, you folks know this guy would transform us how exactly?

2 managers - one is a club legend, is already at the club, and took us to 3rd. The other is in a weaker league and hasn't done any better. What's the basis of replacing our current manager sorry?
I don’t think there is. We are talking about what he is doing and saying he should be looked at as a potential manager.

So what have you seen to say you don’t like him?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is it? In the last years I've only been hearing the words "rebuild and transition year" and "I'd settle for top 4".
But that’s the point. Some people are claiming with Ole we would only ever compete for top 4. So if they want him to be replaced, then surely it should be with someone who can win you titles? Yes we also want to see great football and coaching, but no big club will accept just this without trophies. Therefore I don’t know what’s wrong about claiming that he should come close to winning / win titles first.

Mainoldo

But that’s the point. Some people are claiming with Ole we would only ever compete for top 4. So if they want him to be replaced, then surely it should be with someone who can win you titles? Yes we also want to see great football and coaching, but no big club will accept just this without trophies. Therefore I don’t know what’s wrong about claiming that he should come close to winning / win titles first.
So the smart thing would be is to look at a mangers ceiling.

crossy1686

career ending
I can tell it means nothing because like I said your showing like most that you supporting a manager is more important than supporting the club. Hence why you prefer ‘your’ manager to another manager

The project should always be to win the league as you said yourself earlier. So why are you going on swings and roundabouts disproving your original quote.

Don’t bring high standards when you don’t have non.
I’m doing nothing of the sort, the issue is that you’re presuming everyone is picking a side, “my’ manager or someone else’s.

If we for one second look past the mystique of a sexy new manager and actually looking into maybe why he’s doing so well, why Pochettino did so well, why Klopp has done so well. They’ve all been backed and given time. The latter two got 5 fecking years of time.

Leipzig have a good young team that was built before he got there last season, they have a dof and a recruitment strategy, it’s not a miss match of whatever players the last manager wanted.

Thinking that swapping a manager out for a new manager will bring us anything but a set back is naive to say the least. There’s nothing to suggest this guy has what it takes to a mange a team like United, we need a de facto DOF as our manager not a coach. We don’t have the set up for it for a start.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but you need a perfect storm for that i.e. a big (or wealthy) clubs willing to completely change their roster to build something from scratch (or close). He doesn't happen often and very few clubs would that that for a young manager. Some coaches have "profiles". Zidane for exemple would have an easier time managing a team of stars without making a lot of changes at the very beginning when Sarri needs to have players that exactly fit his gameplan. And i still don't really know where Nagelsmann will stand eventually.
And you see that's where problems start, you don't know what Zidane would do outside of his comfort zone, you don't know what he would do without Perez total trust, you should keep in mind that unlike most managers at Madrid he has been given the freedom to ostracize star players like Bale and James Rodriguez. He also needed players that fitted exactly his game plan which is why players like Isco, James and Bale have disappeared. If you give the same freedom to the likes of Sarri, Nagelsmann, Tuchel or Klopp, they won't have to reinvent themselves. And managers rarely do something totally new to them, I will never understand why people act as if it was a regular thing, in the history of the game rare are the managers that have done it successfully.

Glorio

I don’t think there is. We are talking about what he is doing and saying he should be looked at as a potential manager.

So what have you seen to say you don’t like him?
There are a few managers I have nothing against and I have a lot of respect for, but that includes our current manager. The point I'm making is it makes no sense change someone that's already succeeding for someone with the same level of success elsewhere.

Considering that there's no guarantee that the newcomer will replicate his success in the Premier League at United (if we're willfully ignoring the standard of the league he comes from, don't forget Ole has done one better and actually won league titles in an inferior league himself), it's quite dumb if you ask me.

Also, a new manager carries an inherit risk anyway, but also has their own ideas. Why carry out another transition reset when we're building just fine??

Mainoldo

I’m doing nothing of the sort, the issue is that you’re presuming everyone is picking a side, “my’ manager or someone else’s.

If we for one second look past the mystique of a sexy new manager and actually looking into maybe why he’s doing so well, why Pochettino did so well, why Klopp has done so well. They’ve all been backed and given time. The latter two got 5 fecking years of time.

Leipzig have a good young team that was built before he got there last season, they have a dof and a recruitment strategy, it’s not a miss match of whatever players the last manager wanted.

Thinking that swapping a manager out for a new manager will bring us anything but a set back is naive to say the least. There’s nothing to suggest this guy has what it takes to a mange a team like United, we need a de facto DOF as our manager not a coach. We don’t have the set up for it for a start.
So what are you so happy about now? I’m confused. You are right in what you are saying but wrong in your assumption that anyone who wants an upgrade wants this because it’s ‘new’ and ‘shiny’.

You said we need a manager that will win us the tile but now your saying we don’t have the structure to ever win a title. So basically you’ve just given up and your content because the guy in charge you currently like him. That’s fine.. I mean I loved Lee Sharpe and believe me I was very upset when we sold him to Leeds, but does that mean I should have then just shat on David Beckham?

Pav1878

A lot of us have been saying how good he is for a while and that we should consider him after Ole. Especially if we can bring Rangnick in with him.

Mainoldo

There are a few managers I have nothing against and I have a lot of respect for, but that includes our current manager. The point I'm making is it makes no sense change someone that's already succeeding for someone with the same level of success elsewhere.

Considering that there's no guarantee that the newcomer will replicate his success in the Premier League at United (if we're willfully ignoring the standard of the league he comes from, don't forget Ole has done one better and actually won league titles in an inferior league himself), it's quite dumb if you ask me.

Also, a new manager carries an inherit risk anyway, but also has their own ideas. Why carry out another transition reset when we're building just fine??
I appreciate your comment I do. But what’s so diffenent to what you are saying than what was the same notion that was used to persist with Mourinho. This place is like a revolving door of mistakes.

A bit Like the board room. That’s why every summer we need a new CB.

crossy1686

career ending
So what are you so happy about now? I’m confused. You are right in what you are saying but wrong in your assumption that anyone who wants an upgrade wants this because it’s ‘new’ and ‘shiny’.

You said we need a manager that will win us the tile but now your saying we don’t have the structure to ever win a title. So basically you’ve just given up and your content because the guy in charge you currently like him. That’s fine.. I mean I loved Lee Sharpe and believe me I was very upset when we sold him to Leeds, but does that mean I should have then just shat on David Beckham?
I’ll summarise for you to stop the confusion you’re having.

New manger - no guarantee of success or improvement

Current manager - doing fine, showing progression, should be given time to do something like other managers as long as there is progression

This manager in particular - not an upgrade on what we currently have anyway

United - do not have the structure in place to appoint a ‘coach’. We would need a DOF first and a clear recruitment strategy instead of asking the current manager who he fancies this window.

united_99

So the smart thing would be is to look at a mangers ceiling.
It depends. How is / was AVB or Poch’s ceiling? In the end there are still question marks over both although they were and imo still are promising.
We are obviously not getting Pep or Klopp.
But most of the other managers are gambles, some pay off, some don’t. Zidane was a huge gamble and it paid off.
As far as I am concerned I am definitely not in favour to sack someone who knows the club well and has done well so far with us for some promising manager who hasn’t won anything yet (apart from youth team titles) and has no experience in managing star players. And that’s no dig at the guy, he has all the time in the world to achieve great things, I just don’t want us to hire him now.
If Ole won’t take us further I am sure he will be replaced. But for now I am happy with him.
I desperately wanted LVG, but for all his famous coaching and philosophy talk, we rarely saw it on the pitch. I never wanted Jose but would have been happy if he proved me wrong. He didn’t and I couldn’t wait for his departure. That’s two top proven managers with experience in several leagues and it didn’t work out.
Therefore I am more than happy to take a different approach by hiring Ole. What is his ceiling? I don’t know but as with every manager we will find out sooner rather than later.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
he sounds exciting but is currently little more than a pre Chelsea Villas-Boas right now.

Still has plenty to prove before any big club should allow him access to their Crown Jewels and war chest.

Amir

Always have done, call me strange but I believe that managers who’ve spent their careers playing or managerial, at the top level know what it takes to win titles.
Knowing what it takes and knowing what to do with that knowledge are two different things. Just like playing football and managing fooball are two different roles that require two different sets of skiils.

Mainoldo

It depends. How is / was AVB or Poch’s ceiling? In the end there are still question marks over both although they were and imo still are promising.
We are obviously not getting Pep or Klopp.
But most of the other managers are gambles, some pay off, some don’t. Zidane was a huge gamble and it paid off.
As far as I am concerned I am definitely not in favour to sack someone who knows the club well and has done well so far with us for some promising manager who hasn’t won anything yet (apart from youth team titles) and has no experience in managing star players. And that’s no dig at the guy, he has all the time in the world to achieve great things, I just don’t want us to hire him now.
If Ole won’t take us further I am sure he will be replaced. But for now I am happy with him.
I desperately wanted LVG, but for all his famous coaching and philosophy talk, we rarely saw it on the pitch. I never wanted Jose but would have been happy if he proved me wrong. He didn’t and I couldn’t wait for his departure. That’s two top proven managers with experience in several leagues and it didn’t work out.
Therefore I am more than happy to take a different approach by hiring Ole. What is his ceiling? I don’t know but as with every manager we will find out sooner rather than later.
Fair

We’ve found out Ole’s ceiling. He can’t coach. He seems like a decent manager though. Question is where do you go from there.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fair

We’ve found out Ole’s ceiling. He can’t coach. He seems like a decent manager though. Question is where do you go from there.
This is such laughable bollocks. You show your lack of any proper knowledge on this subject with such crude conclusions.

Glorio

Fair

How do you guys know from your living rooms? How do you know what happens in training and what doesn't?

We don't know Ole's ceiling and really, are neither privileged (access-wise) or qualified to know

AshRK

Fair

No one has found Ole's ceiling yet. It's clear you don't rate Ole but you don't need to go to every thread and talk bs.

united_99

I think one factor that will make it more likely for him to succeed at a big club is his personality. He is a very down to earth guy, has always good relationships with his players and is apparently great to work with in general. I feel it's more often young, extravagant coaches with an ego that's too big who fail.
So far he was also very careful about chosing his career steps and being self-aware enough that he still had a lot to learn, especially on the international level.
On top of that he is also very balanced in his tactical approach. He obviously follows the german pressing mantra but it's not like he is ALL about counter attacks or possession based football, RBL for example can switch between both and his formations are also very varied.
Let's also not forget he is just 33 years old so even if he goes to a big club in the next few years and fails there I'm sure he will get more opportunities at the highest level.
I know we (Bayern) were always interested in him. Hoeneß wanted him as youth coach before he had his breakthrough at Hoffenheim and the only reason we didn't get him recently was that we still worried about his young age. I think we didn't want to "waste" him with a premature attempt at our club in a difficult situation (moving on from the Ribery/Robben/Lahm team) but I'm sure he'd be one of the top candidates in the future for us.
Sounds good, he definitely sounds promising and will be interesting to see where he goes next. But wise decision by Bayern not not hire him just yet. Also good if the manager is a bit more experienced otherwise not sure if the senior players would accept and respect him.

Mainoldo

No one has found Ole's ceiling yet. It's clear you don't rate Ole but you don't need to go to every thread and talk bs.
Im not the only one though. But yet I always get called out. This is a thread about a manager that is not Ole. But yet it’s flooded with how he’s not better than Ole. It works both ways.