Other Junji Ito

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I just finished his illustrated adaption of “No longer human” and it was good. I’ve been obsessed with his work since I was a young edgy teenager. For those unaware of the guy, he’s a manga artist who predominantly does horror, and he’s brilliant. There’s a good chance you’ve seen some of his work already even if you haven’t read his stuff.

This is from the enigma of Amigara fault

This is from Uzumaki

He’s done a lot of anthologies. They’re really fun creepy short stories. The protagonist is usually a one dimensional cardboard cutout, there to mainly function as a window into whatever creepy thing is going on. He’s done some longer format works, the aforementioned Uzumaki is really good. There’s a bit with people eating humans who have turned into snails, that fecking traumatised teenage me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm not lying when I say that Uzamaki manga really messed me up for atleast a month.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'm not lying when I say that Uzamaki manga really messed me up for atleast a month.
I personally think Uzumaki is his best work. A few of his normal weaknesses, but some absolute bangers when it came to depicting the fecked up stuff, and I really liked the whole spiral theme. That weird kid who got run over by the car and then jumped everywhere was creepy as shit tol

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Really liked Gyo, Uzumaki, and Tomie.

I've had No Longer Human on my book shelf for ages and not got around to reading it yet, for some reason.
I actually got it last year as a gift to a friend, never gave it to him and it sat on my shelf until now as well

Sweet Square

Absolutely genius. I had a collection of his works and then somehow lost it :(. Hanging Balloons is my personal favourite story.

Also I love how he is completely the opposite in real life to his dark work.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The spirals guy, right? I read a bit of him when I was into manga. Very creepy but interesting. Like cosmic horror.
Yeah that’s the one, Uzumaki. Some of his stuff is very eldritch horror, especially his more recent stuff. There’s one with a planet that sort of cursed earth (sounds weird but it works) and is very cosmic hprror
Absolutely genius. I had a collection of his works and then somehow lost it :(. Hanging Balloons is my personal favourite story.

Also I love how he is completely the opposite in real life to his dark work.

That’s a shame! I find that more than most his stuff is good to have as a physical piece. Going through the manga, and his use of panelling etc, really adds to it. He’s sort of mastered the jump scare via manga. Hanging balloons is great, so creepy yet absurd.

And that pic of him at Barbie is what actually inspired the thread, I was going through the Barbie thread just now and saw it.

Also out later this year

I thought this got cancelled!!! Oh feck that’s brilliant news

Sweet Square

That’s a shame! I find that more than most his stuff is good to have as a physical piece. Going through the manga, and his use of panelling etc, really adds to it. He’s sort of mastered the jump scare via manga.
Oh interesting never thought of that. My manga “knowledge” is super limited. It’s pretty much some Junji Ito and one random volume of Akira. Honestly took me a embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to correctly read the panels!

I thought this got cancelled!!! Oh feck that’s brilliant news
Yeah I thought the same until seeing the recent video. I think it got cancelled due to low standards whatever that meant but thankfully it’s back now. Looks brilliant

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Absolutely love his stuff
Have you got a favourite story of his?

The one where children turn into dolls..
That’s another great one, it’s also a very tragic one even for Ito

Oh interesting never thought of that. My manga “knowledge” is super limited. It’s pretty much some Junji Ito and one random volume of Akira. Honestly took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to correctly read the panels!
I was really into them when I was younger, but didn’t have the money for many. Of the few I had I noticed his work and the early dragonball manga really utilised the strengths of the format, whereas a few of my other collections were fun to read but didn’t seem to me to capitalise on the medium in the way the two others did. I could well be talking out my ass though that’s just the feeling I got as I read them :lol:

I actually got my housemates to give his work a read, and these were guys and girls who were definitely not into manga or comics , and they mostly liked it but one person complained that the people always reacted unrealistically in the stories. Which is true, but that never bothered me, Junji Ito stories feel like they take place almost on a dream, where everything is slightly off.

Yeah I thought the same until seeing the recent video. I think it got cancelled due to low standards whatever that meant but thankfully it’s back now. Looks brilliant
It really does look fantastic :drool: