Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It's at the end of the defence section of the list of stats in the spoiler in the OP. Those stats are only taken from his CL games, but his aerial success rate is extremely low.
CL games are too small a sample size for that. His Eredivisie stats are much better and it isn't because the Eredivisie uses dwarfs up front.

A poster showed that Varane's aerial win rate was very low in a different season.

Dominos

Basically it stems down to the fact I rate Maguire a hell of a lot higher than you / most posters.
Even if we rated every other part of his game very highly, we surely must concede his lack of pace and ability to deal with 1v1 situations is a massive burden on a team trying to play a high line, aggressive front foot football?

Teja

He doesn't seem like a very aggressive defender .. it'd be a nightmare to have 3 CBs like that (Varane, Lindelof, Timber).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Even if we rated every other part of his game very highly, we surely must concede his lack of pace and ability to deal with 1v1 situations is a massive burden on a team trying to play a high line, aggressive front foot football?
Nah I think pace is overblown. He has had a poor season but I think he can still play a big part under a better manager.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He doesn't seem like a very aggressive defender .. it'd be a nightmare to have 3 CBs like that (Varane, Lindelof, Timber).
I have a very different impression. He looks to be very aggressive from what I've seen.

dutchred

if we only get 1 new player this season I hope it is him. I seriously think he could play as a DM, RB or CH

Bojan Djordjic

Agree, he’s had a poor season but he’s also has the least proactive goalkeeper in the world behind him and all time terrible United midfield unit ahead of him. Sort those out along with a summer of rest and he could regain some of his form from last year.

Dominos

Nah I think pace is overblown. He has had a poor season but I think he can still play a big part under a better manager.
Imagine how much trouble Liverpool would be in if they had 2 Maguire's in place of VVD/Konate/Matip - the amount of balls over the top, into the channels and 1v1 situations they have to deal with, it would be a blood bath every game if they had 2 painfully slow centre backs.

Bojan Djordjic

if we only get 1 new player this season I hope it is him. I seriously think he could play as a DM, RB or CH
Would genuinely give up on this club if they did that. Can’t see how people think a third choice cb/right back is more important than our midfield in moving the dial. People always assume because players can play in a certain position, that they play equally as well in all positions. “Donny has played in the pivot for Ajax, he’ll be great there for us”

Mmm-Qatarian

Cheers. He plays rb so well for someone so infrequent in the position.

Don't know why we'd use him through the middle unless in midfield.
I highly doubt that Timber would come in and play as a centre back. Whilst I see some people arguing that size isn't all that important, I'd say he's too small to play in a centre back partnership in the Premier League.

I'd imagine Timber would be used as a sort of Daley Blind equivalent but at right back rather than left, whereby he'd often come central to either support the midfield or form something of a back three whilst the left-back (Shaw) pushes high. I've not seen very much of Timber, granted, but his statistical profile combined with what I have seen would suggest to me that this might be the best way to use him in the Premier League.

Reactions: Fortitude

ShinjiNinja26

You can do this for every position... Maguire, Lindelof and Varane are all good level CBs who have all shown good levels historically. If we are worried about numbers then better to keep Bailly on the books because midfield, fullback and attack are so much more pressing.
Maguire is garbage and definitely shouldn’t be starting, especially in a ETH team. Varane is quality when he’s actually fit and I think Lindelof is good as well and could improve under ETH. Bringing in Timber would be great though as he’s already well versed in ETH’s style of play. I don’t think his signing would affect us bringing players in in other areas either.

TrustInJanuzaj

Imagine how much trouble Liverpool would be in if they had 2 Maguire's in place of VVD/Konate/Matip - the amount of balls over the top, into the channels and 1v1 situations they have to deal with, it would be a blood bath every game if they had 2 painfully slow centre backs.
We only have one Maguire though? Varane is rapid too.

TrustInJanuzaj

Maguire is garbage and definitely shouldn’t be starting, especially in a ETH team. Varane is quality when he’s actually fit and I think Lindelof is good as well and could improve under ETH. Bringing in Timber would be great though as he’s already well versed in ETH’s style of play. I don’t think his signing would affect us bringing players in in other areas either.
Again we just don’t agree on the rating of Maguire so the rest stems from there.

Mmm-Qatarian

Not actually a response to you so much as adding to your point, but it's also worth noting that Liverpool no side which effectively employs an offside trap is regularly seeing their centre backs chasing back because they combine it with an offside trap.

I'd argue that aerial dominance is actually a far more important quality for a centre-half playing in a high-line defence than pace. I think the idea that centre backs playing in a high-line need to be rapid is a bit of a misconception honestly. Employ a high-line effectively, and in combination with a coherent defensive structure across the pitch, and your centre backs should not regularly find themselves relying on their recovery speed.

Dominos

So it only becomes a problem if you have 2 of them?

It becomes a bigger problem if you have 2 of them. It's still an issue with 1, your centre back partner can't cover every blade of grass. You play a high line with aggressive pressing then both centre backs should be able to handle balls in behind, into the channels and 1v1 situations. You're just unnecessarily hampering yourself if you play a centre back who can't run.

TrustInJanuzaj

Not actually a response to you so much as adding to your point, but it's also worth noting that Liverpool no side which effectively employs an offside trap is regularly seeing their centre backs chasing back because they combine it with an offside trap.

I'd argue that aerial dominance is actually a far more important quality for a centre-half playing in a high-line defence than pace. I think the idea that centre backs playing in a high-line need to be rapid is a bit of a misconception honestly. Employ a high-line effectively, and in combination with a coherent defensive structure across the pitch, and your centre backs should not regularly find themselves relying on their recovery speed.
Ahh apologies yeh completely agree. Positioning is truly key, but I’d expect that to improve across the board with a better manager in place.

TrustInJanuzaj

So it only becomes a problem if you have 2 of them?

It becomes a bigger problem if you have 2 of them. It's still an issue with 1, your centre back partner can't cover every blade of grass. You play a high line with aggressive pressing then both centre backs should be able to handle balls in behind, into the channels and 1v1 situations. You're just unnecessarily hampering yourself if you play a centre back who can't run.
Pace is only one factor. I agree Maguire doesn’t turn fast but his straight line pace is actually good. If he learns how to position himself in this system he will be absolutely fine. I can’t really think of many goals we concede that come from runs in behind, we concede far more by losing the ball on stupid areas because our fullbacks and midfield can’t keep the ball.

Dominos

It's not about being rapid, it's about not being painfully slow.

Maguire's pace and change of direction is about as slow as you're going to find at this level of football. It's a massive problem when there's space left in the channels and in behind.

Mmm-Qatarian

It's not about being rapid, it's about not being painfully slow.

Maguire's pace and change of direction is about as slow as you're going to find at this level of football. It's a massive problem when there's space left in the channels and in behind.
I absolutely agree that Maguire's pace and turning speed are below what you'd want from a centre half (or any player really) at this level. My point is I don't see it being enough in and of itself to lose him his place in the side.

Put it this way, I would be somewhat surprised if Maguire was not in the starting line-up at the start of next season.

Dominos

Pace is only one factor. I agree Maguire doesn’t turn fast but his straight line pace is actually good. If he learns how to position himself in this system he will be absolutely fine. I can’t really think of many goals we concede that come from runs in behind, we concede far more by losing the ball on stupid areas because our fullbacks and midfield can’t keep the ball.
https://youtube.com/shorts/cOrs0ITYhTc?feature=share

This is the sort of situations your centre backs need to be able to deal with. This wasn't Maguire having a bad game or making an uncharacteristic error, this just who he is, he does not have the qualities to deal with these situations. We luckily didn't concede from this but it's a textbook example of Maguire's weaknesses.

We've also never really consistent played high up the pitch with aggressive pressing since Maguire's signing, so he's actually been left less exposed than he will be in a new system. And he's still not delivered to the standard we need.

Kaos

We don't need aggressive defenders, we need defenders who know how to play a high line as Ten Hag would expect. Timber is evidently capable of doing so and has done so with our incoming manager.

None of our current defenders are capable of doing so (Varane perhaps? But its hard to judge considering he's not been able to stay fit for 5 minutes).

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
"Ten Hag has already marvelled at his ability with the feet, saying the 19-year-old might have a future at centre-midfield."
From https://www.foottheball.com/rising-...yle-transfer-rumours-netherlands-euro2020/amp

If that's true, could he play next to say... De Jong? As the more defensive midfielder, but still has the ability to go forward when needed.
their skillsets on the ball is too similar imo, but obviously De Jong being a lot better at that aspect even.
In fact their entire profile is really quite similar (similar height, pace, style of dribbling, secure passing, etc.), just with Timber having an aggressive centreback style of defending and De Jong more of a midfielder's vision and technique.

You want someone less dynamic than Timber next to De Jong. Someone like a Neves but slightly more defensively capable would be ideal I reckon.

TrustInJanuzaj

https://youtube.com/shorts/cOrs0ITYhTc?feature=share

This is the sort of situations your centre backs need to be able to deal with. This wasn't Maguire having a bad game or making an uncharacteristic error, this just who he is, he does not have the qualities to deal with these situations. We luckily didn't concede from this but it's a textbook example of Maguire's weaknesses.

We've also never really consistent played high up the pitch with aggressive pressing since Maguire's signing, so he's actually been left less exposed than he will be in a new system. And he's still not delivered to the standard we need.
We will have to see. I still think ETH will have Maguire as his first choice and I think he will prove many doubters wrong next season.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Come on folks. Height doesn't matter that much. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Bah biggity baw dah diggity daw.

Yagami

Good post resistant
their skillsets on the ball is too similar imo, but obviously De Jong being a lot better at that aspect even.
In fact their entire profile is really quite similar (similar height, pace, style of dribbling, secure passing, etc.), just with Timber having an aggressive centreback style of defending and De Jong more of a midfielder's vision and technique.

You want someone less dynamic than Timber next to De Jong. Someone like a Neves but slightly more defensively capable would be ideal I reckon.
Said it before but you have developed pretty much a CB version of de Jong. The way Timber feints and turns to lose his marker/create space for himself is the spits of Frenkie. He just doesn't do it as much.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Because of course it'd be so much better if everyone was just restating the same opinion in slightly different terms...
And even better if people were not wasting time trying to hard-sell a rock. That too camping in some irrelevant thread.

Marwood

While height is an issue in the main game, it's usually for aerial defensiveness from crosses. With playing a high line you really limit the amount of conceded open play crosses and usually get hit on the break by transitions/ counter attacking football. Therefore the main time you tend to defend aerially is from set pieces in which case if his partner has some height and one or 2 others in the team it doesn't concern me.
The best teams still seem to have big guys at CB. Even Pep has gone down that route.

After years of getting players who aren't quite right I think it'd be more of the same to get a "short" centre back. Just go get that big dominant type who can move a bit.

I've barely watched him though.

GreatDane

Okay, I see.
I still like him alot, I trust Ten Hag to have a plan for him if we are lucky enough to get him.

Rolaholic

About the same height as the likes of John McGinn and Ben White and I've yet to ever hear height concerns about them during their careers in the Prem...

Mmm-Qatarian

City vs West Ham yesterday is almost the perfect example of why it's important to have strong, aerially dominant centre half when playing a high-line in the Premier League.

Antonio gave Fernandinho and Laporte a lot of problems and, whilst he is probably one of the best strikers in the league when it comes to winning duels, I'd imagine there are quite a few that Timber would struggle with purely because of his size disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.