Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Aye, set-pieces would be a concern, particularly with De Gea in goals as well.

The other concern I'd have is that a Martinez/Timber pairing would have their strengths emphasised and weaknesses minimised in a high possession, high line set up. But as it stands we're not a particularly high possession side and (according to a stat I saw during the week) we had the third lowest average defensive line in the league this season.

Obviously bringing in players suited to that type of system should help shift you closer to it, but I'm not sure we're going to see enough of a shift for that partnership to fully work in this team next season.

On the flip side, it's not like Timber would be starting every week at CB. Varane is still there, so fitness permitting you could rotate them to suit the opposition.

Still, Timber has been linked to Liverpool as well so it might not be us he eventually goes to anyway.
Yeah. I think timber really helps with the line height, he's rapid and has that front foot defending mentality. New goalkeeper would be a must. But like you say, Varane is still a starter next season so it wouldn't have much of an impact from that POV until the season after when he fully takes over from him (you'd think), and by that point we would be developed further.

Don't see Liverpool spending big on a CB given their past spending in that position and their midfield needs tbh. Van dijk, Konate, gomez, matip as a 4... Who knows but I don't think they have that much to spend.

abailey123

A defensive unit of Dalot, AWB, Timber, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw and Malacia is pretty solid. You’ve got cover for all eventualities. Shift out Bailly, Telles and Maguire

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Doubt we're in for him. Wouldn't improve our weakness at set pieces and our priorities are elsewhere.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Having one short centreback is one thing, especially when he's actually quite good in the air for his size. Having two together is a completely different beast, especially when Timber is weaker than Martinez in the air despite being a little taller. Unless we're looking at Timber being mostly used as an inverted fullback I just don't see it working.

RedOrange

Yeah. I think timber really helps with the line height, he's rapid and has that front foot defending mentality. New goalkeeper would be a must. But like you say, Varane is still a starter next season so it wouldn't have much of an impact from that POV until the season after when he fully takes over from him (you'd think), and by that point we would be developed further.
The main benefit of Timber would be that we're not completely reliant on Martinez to move the ball out from he back, which would give the option of resting Martinez for some matches and shifting either Varane or Timber to the left side. I also think a back 3 with Martinez - Varane - Timber would work very well.

Telsim

He will be off to the scouse. Don't think he is what we need anyway. Between him and Martinez, methinks we got the better end of the deal.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He will be off to the scouse. Don't think he is what we need anyway. Between him and Martinez, methinks we got the better end of the deal.
Another post dressed up like you have a crystal ball, why do you think this now?

Telsim

Another post dressed up like you have a crystal ball, why do you think this now?
He seems like what the scum need in the back. Think they were linked awhile back. And I agree with the post on the previous page. And we'd need to move the likes of Maguire first. And the whole sale thing seems like it will drag well into the summer, so they will have a free run.

Or do you think he is better than Martinez?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He seems like what the scum need in the back. Think they were linked awhile back. And I agree with the post on the previous page. And we'd need to move the likes of Maguire first. And the whole sale thing seems like it will drag well into the summer, so they will have a free run.

Or do you think he is better than Martinez?
I think he works perfectly with Martinez and we can buy him. I don't think he's necessarily off to Liverpool. He was ten hags first choice as a CB target.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supposedly been links to Liverpool and Arsenal - with the latter he could play the RB role Ben White plays, or with Liverpool he’d be CB beside a giant (Konate, van Dijk, or Konate) or could also even play inverted RB there as Trent reinvents as a midfielder.

Don’t think he makes sense for us now. Even a box dominant keeper wouldn’t mitigate the size issue of a Licha Timber backline in the PL. Maybe we go for him in that hybrid RB role too?

Remember the geese

I think he's coming to us. That's assuming that the delay with the takeover doesn't hold it up. I have no idea why some are saying that he isn't what we need. He's versatile and perfect cover/competition for Varane as well as the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Dalot. Maguire out - Timber in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doubt we're in for him. Wouldn't improve our weakness at set pieces and our priorities are elsewhere.
I wonder how many goals have we conceded from set pieces this season (apart from penalties and direct free kick)? We have issues in playing from the back because Maguire and DDG are clumsy. This guy will improve that aspect.

Think this ship has sailed if he’s gonna be at CB. A Timber and Licha pairing in the PL will not work, especially if our goalkeeper refuses to help aerially. You can get away with one short CB in a pair (Licha does well in aerial duels) but not two. Timber is weak in the air.

However, if he wants to be our own Ben White, Stones, Akanji type inverted RB then he fits like a glove.

Leftback99

I wonder how many goals have we conceded from set pieces this season (apart from penalties and direct free kick)? We have issues in playing from the back because Maguire and DDG are clumsy. This guy will improve that aspect.
7 according to this:
https://understat.com/team/Manchester_United/2022
Maguire hardly plays and he won't improve De Gea though.

I do think we need a Varane replacement because he is so unreliable but should be someone dominant in both boxes in my opinion.

Having one short centreback is one thing, especially when he's actually quite good in the air for his size. Having two together is a completely different beast, especially when Timber is weaker than Martinez in the air despite being a little taller. Unless we're looking at Timber being mostly used as an inverted fullback I just don't see it working.
Took the words out my mouth!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'd take him as our first choice RB but feel we'd think he'd also be our back up CB and I that'd be a big problem, him and Martinez.

If it's him and a back up/rotating CB, I'd be over the moon.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
7 according to this:
https://understat.com/team/Manchester_United/2022
Maguire hardly plays and he won't improve De Gea though.

I do think we need a Varane replacement because he is so unreliable but should be someone dominant in both boxes in my opinion.
Very impressive number imo means it’s not really our weakness not to mention I remember we conceded penalty vs chelsea so it’s only 6 from set pieces. If we sign Rabiot for free and Kane or Osimhen, those two new signings are enough to help us defending set pieces. ETH’s main principal is playing from the back, hence why I think he will less care about his centre back’s height.

croadyman

I'd take him as our first choice RB but feel we'd think he'd also be our back up CB and I that'd be a big problem, him and Martinez.

If it's him and a back up/rotating CB, I'd be over the moon.
Yeah that's the only way it would work

Leftback99

Very impressive number imo means it’s not really our weakness not to mention I remember we conceded penalty vs chelsea so it’s only 6 from set pieces. If we sign Rabiot for free and Kane or Osimhen, those two new signings are enough to help us defending set pieces. ETH’s main principal is playing from the back, hence why I think he will less care about his centre back’s height.
Mid table compared to others. Attacking wise we're rock bottom, 11 goals less than Liverpool.

Bojan Djordjic

Why do people keep converting him to a right back. There's virtually no evidence that he can even play there at a high level. Just seems mad that you would take one of the most promising centre backs in the world and put him in a position where his unique skillset is no longer unique.

I personally think signing him at centre back is just a bit too risky right now when, as others have pointed out, we have a keeper who is rooted to his line during aerial threats and does little to help the defence. If we could control games better, I would be much more pre-disposed to it. His press resistance and carrying is just absolutely elite for a CB so that would clearly be very desirable

croadyman

Be utterly astonished if we go back for Rabiot (much as I like him) after last year and you can forget Osimhen too if Ratcliffe buys us

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mid table compared to others. Attacking wise we're rock bottom, 11 goals less than Liverpool.
It will also improve if we sign Kane/Osimhen and Rabiot though since they are good in the air. Ten Hag already been in PL full season, if he picks Timber as his centre back signing to cover Varane then he already knows Timber can handle it physically in PL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Be utterly astonished if we go back for Rabiot (much as I like him) after last year and you can forget Osimhen too if Ratcliffe buys us
I just think we might need free signing midfielder like Rabiot if we want to spend big on striker like Kane or Osimhen. I wonder if ten Hag really wants him since we were in last year means ten Hag sees him as someone who fits to his system.

bucky

Why do people keep converting him to a right back. There's virtually no evidence that he can even play there at a high level. Just seems mad that you would take one of the most promising centre backs in the world and put him in a position where his unique skillset is no longer unique.

I personally think signing him at centre back is just a bit too risky right now when, as others have pointed out, we have a keeper who is rooted to his line during aerial threats and does little to help the defence. If we could control games better, I would be much more pre-disposed to it. His press resistance and carrying is just absolutely elite for a CB so that would clearly be very desirable
Last season under ten Hag.

If you didn't know that he was listed as RB today, one might have thought that he was playing in midfield. Going forward he definitely looked class.

Leftback99

It will also improve if we sign Kane/Osimhen and Rabiot though since they are good in the air. Ten Hag already been in PL full season, if he picks Timber as his centre back signing to cover Varane then he already knows Timber can handle it physically in PL.
We should be moving away from Ten Hag being manager and the recruitment team.

Bojan Djordjic

Just because you disagree with it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.
At this stage its just considered really bad practice for the manager to run recruitment regardless of who the manager is but no surprise that United still think its fine. There's no way that ETH has time to be scouting players on top of training and match day preparation so obviously he's going to target players he's familiar with and given his last role was in a very sub-standard league that doesn't auger well for us.

croadyman

At this stage its just considered really bad practice for the manager to run recruitment regardless of who the manager is but no surprise that United still think its fine. There's no way that ETH has time to be scouting players on top of training and match day preparation so obviously he's going to target players he's familiar with and given his last role was in a very sub-standard league that doesn't auger well for us.
Yeah we need him to focus on the football

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Think this ship has sailed if he’s gonna be at CB. A Timber and Licha pairing in the PL will not work, especially if our goalkeeper refuses to help aerially. You can get away with one short CB in a pair (Licha does well in aerial duels) but not two. Timber is weak in the air.

However, if he wants to be our own Ben White, Stones, Akanji type inverted RB then he fits like a glove.
I think a year into the PL, ETH's ideas will have evolved. And I suspect that it would be way too risky to have to short CB pairing in the league. Besides we will need a rotation of Varane more if anything.

I would expect Timbre to come in around Lica's price and if we are doing that we ought to get the Korean bloke at Napoli instead.

SAF is the GOAT

I think a year into the PL, ETH's ideas will have evolved. And I suspect that it would be way too risky to have to short CB pairing in the league. Besides we will need a rotation of Varane more if anything.

I would expect Timbre to come in around Lica's price and if we are doing that we ought to get the Korean bloke at Napoli instead.
Not if ETH will insist on Timber like he did on Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.