Kane goes Awol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always thought that this was one of the most classless thing that any player can do, regardless of the player. It’s a disgusting tactic to try and force through a transfer but also over the past 15 or so years it has also been the one area where you see the biggest disparity in how the media and pundits portray the players that do it.

Eg I can imagine that most football journalist and pundits won’t be attacking Kane as unprofessional and disrespectful for doing this, yet if it was Pogba you can bet the narrative would be very different and very negative. Even if we go for a player to whom most pundits are personality neutral towards eg DDG neither viewed as a good or bad personality by the pundits, if he pulled something like this off 4 or so years ago the media and pundits would quickly turn on him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Dealing with Woodward and Solskjær is an entirely different animal to dealing with Daniel Levy. I think most people in the business have sympathy for any player that wants out of Tottenham.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
If he has a gentelsmans agreement he can go for x amount, and the club refuse when they get the offer i can understand it from Kane.

iHicksy

Is this actually confirmed? It was well known he was always going to miss the first game of the season because he needed a rest. So wouldn't it make sense spurs have given him time off from training too?

Chairman Steve

Depends what’s happening behind the scenes, club executives themselves are crooked as feck. If I was promised I could leave Spurs with no fuss and then Spurs reneged on it, then feck them I’m taking action.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Why did he sign that new contract without a release clause? It's his own fault. and his agent's.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I agree. Pretty much the most classless thing that you can do.

I also have little sympathy to Kane's situation — he knew fully well what he was signing and it was an incredibly stupid decision to prolong his contract by 6 years without any clauses if he wanted to keep control of his own future.

If he has a gentelsmans agreement he can go for x amount, and the club refuse when they get the offer i can understand it from Kane.
Depends what’s happening behind the scenes, club executives themselves are crooked as feck. If I was promised I could leave Spurs with no fuss and then Spurs reneged on it, then feck them I’m taking action.
Nothing at all suggests that this was agreed upon. It would be an incredibly weird move from the 2018 Spurs, who just reached CL final and built a new stadium, to prolong their biggest star with an option of him leaving at any point (and to their PL "rivals" as well).

Also, those "gentlemen's agreements" are worth nothing, he's not a young guy or a foreign footballer who came in not knowing the inner workings of contract negotiations in England (like Suarez, although I have no sympathy for him as well). If he needed a clause, he should've included it in the contract.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why did he sign that new contract without a release clause? Think, Mcfly, think.
Certainly not the first. Kane, Zaha, Saint Maximin etc etc. There’s a bunch of talented midtable players who sign big deals in spite of the fact that they want to leave in the near future. Either they’re all very silly; they’re given false promises; or these contracts feature some very attainable salary increases/easier clauses in their contract to hit.

TsuWave

If it was Pogba, the way this would be weaponised. Mon dieu

Woodzy

No great from the player but think Spurs had it coming after the statements recently about him staying and not being for sale.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That's generally why contracts are put in place, it's why Liverpool wouldn't let Suarez go to Arsenal for 40,000,001 when he had a "gentleman's agreement".

Kane really should have known better as his employer is Daniel Levy, no sympathy here.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
No proof of that.. but if an any concrete offer was made someone would have reported it.
No i just stated if. There could be unoffisial negotiations between the clubs though were City leaked to Kane that Tottenham refused the amount in the gentelsmans agreement.

harms

Staff
Is this actually confirmed? It was well known he was always going to miss the first game of the season because he needed a rest. So wouldn't it make sense spurs have given him time off from training too?
They're probably the most reliable source in football at the moment:
The Athletic said:
Harry Kane has not reported for pre-season duties with Tottenham Hotspur today as he attempts to force through a record-breaking move to Manchester City.
Kane was due to return to Hotspur Way today following a holiday after England’s run to the final of the European Championship.

Pickle85

I agree. Pretty much the most classless thing that you can do.

I also have little sympathy to Kane's situation — he knew fully well what he was signing and it was an incredibly stupid decision to prolong his contract by 6 years without any clauses if he wanted to keep control of his own future.

Nothing at all suggests that this was agreed upon. It would be an incredibly weird move from the 2018 Spurs, who just reached CL final and built a new stadium, to prolong their biggest star with an option of him leaving at any point (and to their PL "rivals" as well).
Quite a lot of reports have suggested that there was a gentleman's agreement, no? Maybe you've got doubts but it's not like there are no sources claiming that...

I think he probably had some kind of agreement with Levy that Levy is reneging on. If that's the case, I don't blame him at all and I wonder whether this whole business could make other future spuds signings have second thoughts.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No great from the player but think Spurs had it coming after the statements recently about him staying and not being for sale.
The club said he’s not for sale and therefore they “had it coming” for him to refuse to do his job?

Contracts are a two way street, he shouldn’t have signed it if he didn’t want to stick by it, the club have no obligation to accept a transfer fee if there’s no clause saying so.

The Siege

It'll probably be for some quarantine regulation or some rest-related conversation missed. Kane sees himself as a role-model figure too much to pull something like this I feel.

harms

Staff
Quite a lot of reports have suggested that there was a gentleman's agreement, no? Maybe you've got doubts but it's not like there are no sources claiming that...
Fair enough, you're right, I'm sorry.

I think he probably had some kind of agreement with Levy that Levy is reneging on. If that's the case, I don't blame him at all and I wonder whether this whole business could make other future spuds signings have second thoughts.
It's hard not to blame him, considering how Levy treated players and those kind of agreements in the past, way before 2018.

Have to say, I hadn’t seen this.

I think it’s more certain golden boys get a pass and everyone else would get called out for it. Although while yes I do think if De Gea did it he’d get called out negatively, if Pogba did it the negativity would be worse from the media and pundits because of confirmation bias and how they already perceive him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Have to say, I hadn’t seen this.

I think it’s more certain golden boys get a pass and everyone else would get called out for it. Although while yes I do think if De Gea did it he’d get called out negatively, if Pogba did it the negativity would be worse from the media and pundits because of confirmation bias and how they already perceive him.
You think Kane is getting a pass? Spurs fans are absolutely furious!

Woodzy

The club said he’s not for sale and therefore they “had it coming” for him to refuse to do his job?

Contracts are a two way street, he shouldn’t have signed it if he didn’t want to stick by it, the club have no obligation to accept a transfer fee if there’s no clause saying so.
There was this rumoured gentleman’s agreement that Kane could leave. It also seemed almost inevitable that Kane would leave before the Euros.

The stance seemed to change during the Euros and more specifically when the new manager was appointed.

There’s clearly been some backtracking from Spurs, maybe because finding a nee manager was so difficult.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
How poorly advised is Kane? :lol:

How have Spurs fans taken to his absence today? Is he in danger of burning his bridges?

Pickle85

Fair enough, you're right, I'm sorry.

It's hard not to blame him, considering how Levy treated players and those kind of agreements in the past, way before 2018.
Yeah, agreed. He was naive and poorly advised at best. Never come across as the brightest, has he?!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Imagine the fury if Pogba did this. Nobody other than Spurs fans will care because Kane is white & English.
I dont know about that - there are at least 2 threads in a Utd forum discussing it hotly right now. I dont think Pogba not turning up for training would even be noticed by other clubs.

OleBoiii

Leaked video of Kane and Levy making a gentleman's agreement:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I dont know about that - there are at least 2 threads in a Utd forum discussing it hotly right now. I dont think Pogba not turning up for training would even be noticed by other clubs.
Media would savage Pogba, while Kane will probably get sympathy.

harms

Staff
I think he means by the media and the rest of the public that is not affiliated with Spurs in any manner. I doubt that anyone would be surprised by Spurs fans being (understandably) mad about it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So true :lol:

When it's Kane it's 'gentlements agreement, needs to leave to win trophies, not getting any younger'

When it's Pogba it's 'Virus, Disloyal, Greedy and leaving for money while disrespecting the club'

Glorio

I reckon they think he'll get a pass from the media

Fans will definitely be (and are well within their rights to be) furious, I'm with you there mate. For punishment, I think you folks should sell him to United for peanuts

Status
Not open for further replies.