Kang-in Lee - Mallorca player

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Looks like he's got covid according to Marca. Plus he's handed in a transfer request to be sold in the winter.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Looks like he's got covid according to Marca. Plus he's handed in a transfer request to be sold in the winter.
His contract expires in 2022, and
he’s made it clear he’s not going going to sign a new one, so it makes sense that he’ll be leaving in the winter or next summer.

fergie_god

Really hope he goes anywhere but the Prem. It would be a horrible fit for him and spending some years developing in the Bundesliga would be the most ideal.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Really hope he goes anywhere but the Prem. It would be a horrible fit for him and spending some years developing in the Bundesliga would be the most ideal.
Rumor mill says City are interested; I think a mid-table Bundesliga team or one of the top Eredivisie teams (Ajax, PSV) would be ideal.

JohnnyKills

Rumor mill says City are interested; I think a mid-table Bundesliga team or one of the top Eredivisie teams (Ajax, PSV) would be ideal.
Sounds like he's got an attitude problem. As you've said, Germany or Holland would probably be the best place for him.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Sounds like he's got an attitude problem. As you've said, Germany or Holland would probably be the best place for him.
I don't think he's got that in him (the attitude) - more to do with how badly Valencia is being run these days.

Ekeke

So he's started to actually make some kind of impact this season. The video makes him look good because hes clearly talented

But Valencia are 15th and he isnt a guaranteed starter. 6 starts so around half the games and he has 3 assists 0 goals this season playing as a #10. So plenty to improve on

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Scored the winner against his former club. Gattuso looks unrecognizable. :lol:

Last edited:

Ekeke

Finally doing well. In great form for Mallorca in the past 6 games. They're midtable in la liga, he's 22 years old and I see he's linked with West Ham. Mostly playing left of a 3 man midfield, or left midfield in a packed midfield 4. I should think he can do better than that due to his current form and should interest top 6/europa league level clubs, maybe higher.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Looks like there is interest from Aston Villa - I think that would be a good next step in his progression. Helps that Emery wants to implement his style of play.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Might as well kiss any trophy aspirations goodbye. Atleti is by far the better choice.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is exactly the type of player we should be in for. Wouldn't cost much (£17m release clause I believe), can play on the left, centrally or right, is left footed, is press resistant. The only criticism is he's not really a big goal threat, but that can change in a team that creates chances a plenty. Also, for me, his ability as a playmaker and the fact that he's excellent at keeping the ball under pressure are just as important in terms of what we need to bring to the team anyway.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This is exactly the type of player we should be in for. Wouldn't cost much (£17m release clause I believe), can play on the left, centrally or right, is left footed, is press resistant. The only criticism is he's not really a big goal threat, but that can change in a team that creates chances a plenty. Also, for me, his ability as a playmaker and the fact that he's excellent at keeping the ball under pressure are just as important in terms of what we need to bring to the team anyway.
Wouldn't mind him at United, yeah; €20 million is a perfectly reasonable fee for someone like him (and would represent an absolute bargain if he ends ups delivering on his potential). While he might not replicate the heights of Foden, peak Bernardo, Ødegaard, Grealish and the likes, he would alleviate some of the concerns in our midfield department in particular, and also lower the age profile of the group (Bruno is going to be 29 at the start of the season and Eriksen is going to turn 32 by the midway point — we've definitely seen the best they have to offer, and they will become increasingly glacial and frangible with age). The improvement in Kang-in's game in recent months has been quite stark (and a welcome surprise after stagnating/regressing at Valencia). Always an outstanding technician (at the risk of stereotyping, he comes to mind when you think of a “nifty and diminutive” Spaniard at the interior positions), and now appears to have much better core strength and power, really applies himself on the field and isn't unwilling to shoulder an above-average defensive workload. There's a wealth of similarly (or even more) talented and dynamic playmakers out there: Wirtz, Páez, Güler, Echeverri, Scott, Moleiro, Le Fée, Sotelo and so forth — hope we manage to land at least one of them (preferably two (or more), but that's a wholly unrealistic objective for a slow-thinking and slow-moving club like United).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We've been linked to him fairly significantly. His agent apparently visited us and Wolves for talks a month ago so that feels like right sort of next step rather than get lost in top 4 squad.

I always mix him up with Kubo who's started to kick on in his career by moving to Real Sociedad so that's the next move Kang needs to make.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Atleti is the graveyard of flamboyant attacking players. Not sure its the better choice at all.
Kang-in speaks Spanish fluently, doesn't speak English. La Liga is better suited for him than the Premier League.

Griezmann, Morata, Torres all struggled on other teams/leagues seemed to do well enough at Atleti.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wouldn't mind him at United, yeah; €20 million is a perfectly reasonable fee for someone like him (and would represent an absolute bargain if he ends ups delivering on his potential). While he might not replicate the heights of Foden, peak Bernardo, Ødegaard, Grealish and the likes, he would alleviate some of the concerns in our midfield department in particular, and also lower the age profile of the group (Bruno is going to be 29 at the start of the season and Eriksen is going to turn 32 by the midway point — we've definitely seen the best they have to offer, and they will become increasingly glacial and frangible with age). The improvement in Kang-in's game in recent months has been quite stark (and a welcome surprise after stagnating/regressing at Valencia). Always an outstanding technician (at the risk of stereotyping, he comes to mind when you think of a “nifty and diminutive” Spaniard at the interior positions), and now appears to have much better core strength and power, really applies himself on the field and isn't unwilling to shoulder an above-average defensive workload. There's a wealth of similarly (or even more) talented and dynamic playmakers out there: Wirtz, Páez, Güler, Echeverri, Scott, Moleiro, Le Fée, Sotelo and so forth — hope we manage to land at least one of them (preferably two (or more), but that's a wholly unrealistic objective for a slow-thinking and slow-moving club like United).
You're right about it being a potential bargain, but it's also the type of deal where, if he doesn't live up to his potential, it's not that much wasted either. Though I would be surprised to see him end up being labelled as a failure because I think his attributes will allow him to far exceed what you'd expect to get from someone for £17m in today's market.

I just want to preface this part by saying that, whilst I do rate him highly, I'm not saying he'll be as good as either of these players. I've followed him for a while as I like to keep up with Asian football and their upcoming stars, and I've always likened him to Silva which was inevitable as he's a left footed interior who came through Valencia's academy, but, the more I see of him, the more I see glimpses of Iniesta. I think it's the way he uses the La Croqueta to evade pressing opposition. It's beautiful to watch.

zaafi

22 year old midfielder who plays for Mallorca. He is quite versatile, and has previously played CM/CAM, RW and LW. He has exceptional technical abilities and have been compared to the likes of David Silva and Bernardo Silva. His close control, dribbling and press resistance is an absolute joy to watch, and one can definitely see the comparison with the Silvas.

Despite choosing to play for South Korea, he grew up in Spain and is a product of Valencia's academy.
In La Liga, he has 6 goals and 6 assists in 2823 minutes. A lot of people predicted Mallorca to be relegated this season, but Kang-in Lee has been a crucial part to Mallorca ending up in 9th place. Statistically he's top percentile for both ball carrying and successful take-ons. He's also got great vision, passing and crossing/set-piece accuracy.

It appears he only has a €17m release clause (around £14.5m), so he could potentially be an alternative to Mason Mount if Chelsea remain persistent with their demands and the deal falls through.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Very good player. Think United should be all over him. Can play multiple positions, scores goals, hard-working. Whoever signs him for 17 million will have a bargain (and will get 50-odd million Korean fans)

zaafi

Very good player. Think United should be all over him. Can play multiple positions, scores goals, hard-working. Whoever signs him for 17 million will have a bargain (and will get 50-odd million Korean fans)
Low-risk, high-reward type of signing. The business aspect of it as well with all the shirt sales and fan growth :lol:

He definitely brings something new to the table that we don't have.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Low-risk, high-reward type of signing. The business aspect of it as well with all the shirt sales and fan growth :lol:

He definitely brings something new to the table that we don't have.
I don’t think Mount would be a bad move, but I do think there’s a lot more upside in this kind of signing. He’s got more natural ability than Mount, and is a fraction of the price and wages. Why not just hit the release clause and get him in early? If it’s not United it will be someone else…

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I don’t think Mount would be a bad move, but I do think there’s a lot more upside in this kind of signing. He’s got more natural ability than Mount, and is a fraction of the price and wages. Why not just hit the release clause and get him in early? If it’s not United it will be someone else…
Because one of the primary reasons you buy Mount is for his defensive output which he absolutely smoked Lee Kang-In at.

Lee Kang-In would be a different option to someone like Bruno or additional coverage on the wings which I wouldn't be against, but it is not a direct comparison against Mount.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Because one of the primary reasons you buy Mount is for his defensive output which he absolutely smoked Lee Kang-In at.

Lee Kang-In would be a different option to someone like Bruno or additional coverage on the wings which I wouldn't be against, but it is not a direct comparison against Mount.
Fair enough, though I’m not sure where Mount plays in the same team as Bruno, unless one of them moves wide. Have always seen Mount as either a pressing 10, an attacking/pressing 8, or similar out wide (at a push). If I was going to buy a player that looks an awkward fit with Bruno, I’d probably go for LKI. Mount’s good though, seems a bit underrated here.

zaafi

I think Mount has a higher work rate, but as for their defensive output, I wouldn't exactly say Mount smoked him.

Mount is left and Kang-in Lee is right

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think Mount has a higher work rate, but as for their defensive output, I wouldn't exactly say Mount smoked him.

Mount is left and Kang-in Lee is right

Check the per-90's on the full scouting report side by side. Also tackles broken down by thirds of pitch. He even has favourable stats in possession, chance creation, progressive passes etc. In what was rightly considered a down year for Mount.

zaafi

Check the per-90's on the full scouting report side by side. Also tackles broken down by thirds of pitch.
Oh yeah, I take it back. He actually smoked him :lol: Still think he's worth a gamble, though. Great potential, very cheap and offers something none of us our players have (ball carrying, dribbling ability, close control). I actually think Amad is closer to him than any of our other players.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Check the per-90's on the full scouting report side by side. Also tackles broken down by thirds of pitch. He even has favourable stats in possession, chance creation, progressive passes etc. In what was rightly considered a down year for Mount.
Which site is this? I still rely on the eye test and probably need to get with the times…

Tenko

Keep in mind that Lee is playing in one of the worst possession teams in La Liga in Aguirre's ultra-defensive 5-4-1 low block. For comparison, Mallorca as a team had 18,171 total touches (18th in La Liga) compared to 27,166 total touches for Chelsea (3rd in the Premier League). Looking in particular at attacking third touches, Mallorca were dead last in La Liga with 3792 while Chelsea were 5th in the PL with 6850. Playing for even this dysfunctional current Chelsea team is a luxury for an attacking player compared to playing for Mallorca.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippy

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Keep in mind that Lee is playing in one of the worst possession teams in La Liga in Aguirre's ultra-defensive 5-4-1 low block. For comparison, Mallorca as a team had 18,171 total touches (18th in La Liga) compared to 27,166 total touches for Chelsea (3rd in the Premier League). Looking in particular at attacking third touches, Mallorca were dead last in La Liga with 3792 while Chelsea were 5th in the PL with 6850. Playing for even this dysfunctional current Chelsea team is a luxury for an attacking player compared to playing for Mallorca.
All you say is true.

I should have made myself clearer though, I meant Mount just had favourable creating and possession/ball progression stats in general, not in comparison to Kang-In whose numbers are very good considering the team and system.

Von Mistelroum

Exactly the sort of bargain we will completely miss. Shame though as he is really talented and a good manager could make him a top star.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I like Korean players… they have immense stamina and always put a shift in.