Keane medical at Madrid

greent

Just on ESPN. Looks pretty done and dusted now that he's passed the medical.

Seems a surprising move considering his affection for Celtic.

greent

Will definitely be wierd to see him in the Real Madrid shirt. That was something I would have never in a million years thought I'd see.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
IF he does go there its fairly surprising. Especially when he had umpteen digs at Beckham prior to Becks leaving. From what i hear though, Becks has been instrumental in getting Keano to go there

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
Slower league, weaker players, Keane can rule there for a couple of seasons. Great move for him I think.

Aporkalypse

I wonder if they'll sell us Gravesen on the cheap now? Wouldn't complain about that if it happened.

Los Rojos

Gobbledygook from the plastic spastic
Is Graveson really the player to sort out your problems though? What is he now? 30? 31?

IMO you need a long term replacement in there, Diarra at Lyon has been touted about and certainly fits the bill.

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
Graveson is shit, what United need is someone like Sissoko, a warrior. Today they had Rooney the only player tracking back and getting around the pitch.

Justin

Los Rojos said:
Is Graveson really the player to sort out your problems though? What is he now? 30? 31?

IMO you need a long term replacement in there, Diarra at Lyon has been touted about and certainly fits the bill.
He's 29, so a short term answer at best.

Los Rojos

Gobbledygook from the plastic spastic
Justin said:
He's 29, so a short term answer at best.
A bit of a disservice, I thought he was 31....

Still, he's a good player, certainly, but not what you really really need.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
golden_blunder said:
IF he does go there its fairly surprising. Especially when he had umpteen digs at Beckham prior to Becks leaving. From what i hear though, Becks has been instrumental in getting Keano to go there
I think the penny may have dropped for Beckham....it's a short career, he's pissed around more than most with his lifestyle...maybe he wants to knuckle down for the final phase....go out with some more achievements in the bag. He's looking around Madrid, he reckons Keane could be just the man to raise the tempo of the place.

jamesblonde

holyland red said:
If he does end up there, then there is no doubt it is for money reasons only. Rolex culture...
I put a few quid on him going there this week. Got 3/1 odds.
Having followed Keane for Ireland and Utd, i think the money thing is definitely a big part of it. Brady had a point about Keano in that classic Dunphy-show a few weeks back. However, I think Keano's pride also paid a part. To play for Madrid means he's still a top player, while Everton and Bolton are just too low to sink. He would have gone to Celtic, but they obviously wouldn't pay the going rate. Kind of makes a mockery of his Rolex lecture.

jamesblonde

Keane16 said:
I think the penny may have dropped for Beckham....it's a short career, he's pissed around more than most with his lifestyle...maybe he wants to knuckle down for the final phase....go out with some more achievements in the bag. He's looking around Madrid, he reckons Keane could be just the man to raise the tempo of the place.
It has nothing to do with Beckham, you idiot.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
jamesblonde said:
I put a few quid on him going there this week. Got 3/1 odds.
Having followed Keane for Ireland and Utd, i think the money thing is definitely a big part of it. Brady had a point about Keano in that classic Dunphy-show a few weeks back. However, I think Keano's pride also paid a part. To play for Madrid means he's still a top player, while Everton and Bolton are just too low to sink. He would have gone to Celtic, but they obviously wouldn't pay the going rate. Kind of makes a mockery of his Rolex lecture.
his moral highs have always been a joke. For me the Rolex thingy after Leverkusen was the beginning of questioning his personality. A great servant for the club, and obviously a legend but his personality is suspect. I guess he should have been put in his place years ago.
Rolex, Saipan, last season's Norwich game, pre-season training in Portugal and the recent MUTV interview...I'm actully glad Fergie took the necessary step to distance the destructive figure that Keane has become from the rest of the team. And to think that some would welcome him as the next United manager...:houllier:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
holyland red said:
his moral highs have always been a joke. For me the Rolex thingy after Leverkusen was the beginning of questioning his personality. A great servant for the club, and obviously a legend but his personality is suspect. I guess he should have been put in his place years ago.
Rolex, Saipan, last season's Norwich game, pre-season training in Portugal and the recent MUTV interview...I'm actully glad Fergie took the necessary step to distance the destructive figure that Keane has become from the rest of the team. And to think that some would welcome him as the next United manager...:houllier:
Fergie was incredibly silly for letting him go imo and there is no logic behind letting him go almost mid-season, he might of given players a bollocking but even though I hate the cnut one thing he showed every game was a passion and determination. Something that a lot of players lack these days. When Man utd needed a player to stand up and be counted it was always Keane who stood up, he didn't hide when the going got tough.

I don't recall him saying it was wrong earning a lot of money, I do however remember him saying people weren't earning their money and were taking things for granted. Which is true. I doubt he is going to be on £100k a R.Madrid but I think it is more to do with pride like jamesblonde says. Playing for R.Madrid says he still has something to offer and I can see him doing very well at R.Madrid and sorting out many of their problems.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
JazzG said:
Fergie was incredibly silly for letting him go imo and there is no logic behind letting him go almost mid-season, he might of given players a bollocking but even though I hate the cnut one thing he showed every game was a passion and determination. Something that a lot of players lack these days. When Man utd needed a player to stand up and be counted it was always Keane who stood up, he didn't hide when the going got tough.

I don't recall him saying it was wrong earning a lot of money, I do however remember him saying people weren't earning their money and were taking things for granted. Which is true. I doubt he is going to be on £100k a R.Madrid but I think it is more to do with pride like jamesblonde says. Playing for R.Madrid says he still has something to offer and I can see him doing very well at R.Madrid and sorting out many of their problems.

If they switch to 4-5-1 to accomodate him, he might give them a good few performances. Anyway, I'd like our next captain to criticise his team mates in teamtlaks rather than on television. If I'm not mistaken, Keane wasn't that telarant when he was on the receiving end of some public bollocking from his boss.

Great player he certainly was, but his behaviour was unacceptable.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
According to spanish reports, he signed a 6 month deal with the option for another season (06-07).

Drifter

American
Keane move on hold - Agent

Roy Keane's representative has insisted the former Manchester United captain will not be making a decision about his future until Wednesday or Thursday.

Real Madrid have been widely tipped to win the race for the 34-year-old's signature following his departure from Old Trafford last month after a glittering 12-year career.

However Michael Kennedy told the Manchester Evening News that reports suggesting Keane had already passed a medical at Madrid were "completely wrong".

Bolton, Everton and West Ham have made no secret they would love to have Keane on board and keep him closer to home.

While Madrid have emerged as favourites to sign Keane, Everton and Bolton have not given up hope that he may still prefer to stay in the north-west.

Speaking after Sunday's 1-1 draw with United at Old Trafford, Everton boss David Moyes told the club's website: "He's a player that I would like to bring to Everton but we have not heard anything yet.

"I'm sure I am the same as eight or 10 other managers that are waiting for a decision but I respect that Roy will take his time and make the decision that is best for himself."

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce told his club's website: "You can't rule us out. We are very interested in signing Roy.

"The chairman will contact Keane's representatives in the next couple of days with our offer.

"He would be a tremendous signing for Bolton and I'm very excited about the prospect."

Celtic, Manchester City, Wigan and West Brom are other clubs to have been linked with Keane.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
golden_blunder said:

Not really. The La Liga appears stiffer this season with Osusuna and Villarreal standing a strong chance to finish in the top four. Valencia and Deportivo aren't far behind and they are known for rallying in the latter half of the season and Celta aren't pushovers either. Apart from Barcelona there is nothing much to differenciate between the remaining 6-7 teams and Real aren't convincing inspite of their third postion.

Their CL qualification hangs in a balance and all the so called hardmen they've signed as midfielders are better suited as lumberjacks for some midtable clubs. No wonder they are after Keano as they need an experienced midfielder to pull the strings in the middle.

Keane16

and while I'm at it...who the feck are you to call anyone on here an idiot..

fecking spastic.....you've got your head up your hole about Ronaldo and now you're going around making a fool of yourself in here.

As I told you before...grow up.

Keilyn27

who's the bigger muppet - ostrich or chicken littl
Keane's frustration with Utd's decline didn't emerge suddenly. If he was such a disruptive presence, we should have parted ways amicably last summer. A Nov bustup was never going to benefit the team, spin about a happier dressing room aside.

Never thought I'd see Keane at Real. But with Celtic's inability to agree financial terms, Madrid it is, Keane won't have fancied seeing out his career at a mid-table team. Still, given the convoluted nature of Real's management, Keane'll need to be much more diplomatic regarding the club's goings-on for this move to work out.

klebersomeone

holyland red said:
If he does end up there, then there is no doubt it is for money reasons only. Rolex culture...
You knobend...
It just might have something to do with playing with some of the worlds best players...at the second biggest club in the world...

where the feck would any right minded person go? Everton, Bolton or Madrid...let me think...
If he stays at home it will be family reasons but Real Madrids don't come along too often.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Should've gone to Celtic

What's with Madrid buying everyone from the PL in recent years? Beckham, Woodgate, Owen, Graveson, now Keano?

Can't imagine their poofy ballet-loving fans will like it...especially as it's coincided with their decline

nickm

Maybe Keane also wants a shot at a Champions League final too.

jamesblonde

Keane16 said:
and while I'm at it...who the feck are you to call anyone on here an idiot..

fecking spastic.....you've got your head up your hole about Ronaldo and now you're going around making a fool of yourself in here.

As I told you before...grow up.
I knew some idiot would bring up the Beckham thing in a Keano thread, it just happened to be you.
Btw, I prefer to amicably disagree with you, but whatever way you want it

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
i don't like madrid but keano going there would be good if only just to get the recognition he deserves. Them lot think they have the best players and the best players cost 70+ million. Keanos been the best for the last 10 years and though he's not the same player he was, he'll do a job job there and for this season for once i hope (if keano goes there) they win the champs league for him cause he deserves it.

Keane16

jamesblonde said:
I knew some idiot would bring up the Beckham thing in a Keano thread, it just happened to be you.
Btw, I prefer to amicably disagree with you, but whatever way you want it
What are you disagreeing with?....I've not said anything about a 'Beckham thing'.

So, what we have is basically you preferring to go around calling people idiots, even if it's you that's got the wrong end of the stick completely......again, grow up.

It was golden_blunder that brought up Beckham by the way....so that would be you wrong again then.

You look stupid now, idiot.

jamesblonde

Keane16 said:
What are you disagreeing with?....I've not said anything about a 'Beckham thing'.

So, what we have is basically you preferring to go around calling people idiots, even if it's you that's got the wrong end of the stick completely......again, grow up.

It was golden_blunder that brought up Beckham by the way....so that would be you wrong again then.

You look stupid now, idiot.
Keane16,
The thing that annoys me reading Caf posts the mosts is when they parrot the most base aspects of our media. The media only tie Beckham stores in with Keane because it helps sells papers. I think Becks had next to nothing to do with Keano going there, I really do. You just happened to get the end of my stick.