Music Kendrick Lamar | New album 13th May 2022

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I love the fact that the stories he tells on this album are interconnected to stories and topics he elaborates on in earlier projects. Classic status is too premature, it's a fantastic body of work and something the mainstream of hip-hop needs dearly. There's that vulnerability and brutal honesty in his work that so many of his successful peers have. He did it all off his own back too, in fact the whole of TDE did. It's really refreshing. Q got an album out next year, Jay Rock got a chip on his shoulder and Ab-Soul is a fecking genius. I don't think they should do a Black Hippy album though, maybe a mixtape.

ArmchairCritic

Don't feel him that much, Royce's early albums were better
Kendrick's music is quite dense and can be quite difficult to get into, lord knows it took me a while to get into Overly Dedicated. It's all personal preference though, if he outsells Rick Ross etc. first week then it's excellent for hip-hop. People might actually try to make albums and not cobble a bunch of songs together.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He can take a while to get into, I had to listen to Section.80 at least ten times before it grew on me, then I couldn't get enough and went back on his discography.
Anyone (Everyone, actually) I recommend Kendrick to I tell them to at least give him a few listens. Suppose good kid, m.A.A.d city will attract a lot more fans though.

KiD MoYeS

I'd have maybe had Cartoon & Cereal in place of Poetic Justice on the album, think Poetic Justice would've been better as a bonus track.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He can take a while to get into, I had to listen to Section.80 at least ten times before it grew on me, then I couldn't get enough and went back on his discography.
Anyone (Everyone, actually) I recommend Kendrick to I tell them to at least give him a few listens. Suppose good kid, m.A.A.d city will attract a lot more fans though.
Really?

I am not a massive hip hop fan but I liked most songs on the first listen, which is rare for me. It is a very commercial hip hop record but very good one, none the less.

KiD MoYeS

Really?

I am not a massive hip hop fan but I liked most songs on the first listen, which is rare for me. It is a very commercial hip hop record but very good one, none the less.
good kid or Section.80?

My point was that good kid will be a lot more accessible than Section.80 or Overly Dedicated to new listeners.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:houllier: Why would you listen to something 10 times if you didn't like it the first couple? Sounds like you're talking out of your arse.

KiD MoYeS

:houllier: Why would you listen to something 10 times if you didn't like it the first couple? Sounds like you're talking out of your arse.
If an albums getting high praise I usually give it a shot, it's not as if I hated it, just appreciated it more with every listen, ye twat.

ArmchairCritic

You're not Kendrick Lamar so what does it matter to you if I pay for it? Snobbish comment.
Because hip-hop needs to go in the right direction, it needs to filter out the bullshit and start making proper cohesive albums. Kendrick has let Cartoon's and Cereal, Westside Right On Time and The Heart Pt. III out for free. Buy fecking albums, it's not fecking snobbish at all. People fecking whinge about how music is shit then they don't even support good projects when they come out.

ArmchairCritic

Really?

Nothing commercial about 12 minute long songs. If you go past the production elements and listen deeply it's very dense and arguably inaccessible for the masses. It's quite an exhausting listen, which is something I actually enjoy.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Nothing commercial about 12 minute long songs. If you go past the production elements and listen deeply it's very dense and arguably inaccessible for the masses. It's quite an exhausting listen, which is something I actually enjoy.
It just sounds like fairly standard commercial hip hop to me. There are a lot of commercial RNB flavours in there too. I swear that he uses the same vocal effect on the mike as Drake.

I don't think that having a 12min song on there really detracts from the commercial sound. I like the album though, after the first listen I knew that it was going to be a big album.

KiD MoYeS

It just sounds like fairly standard commercial hip hop to me. There are a lot of commercial RNB flavours in there too. I swear that he uses the same vocal effect on the mike as Drake.

I don't think that having a 12min song on there really detracts from the commercial sound. I like the album though, after the first listen I knew that it was going to be a big album.
I don't agree with the Drake part, don't really think this is what you'd call a radio friendly album either to be fair.

ArmchairCritic

I think we have very different ideas of commercial, the vocal effects are more Outkast than Drake.

ArmchairCritic

Sold more than Rick Ross first week, 242,000 units moved in the US. With no overt Radio Single, well done TDE.

ArmchairCritic

I don't know how to post this on here, and I'm too lazy to look for the YouTube link, but this Earl Sweatshirt song is better than any song on GKMC.

http://soaponmylawn.tumblr.com

I hope this helps.
But it's not, I like Earl but a few multi's and everyone wets themselves. I don't feel the emotion he should be conveying in that song. It's a cool song though but has nowt to do with Black Hippy.

gza the genius

But it's not, I like Earl but a few multi's and everyone wets themselves. I don't feel the emotion he should be conveying in that song. It's a cool song though but has nowt to do with Black Hippy.
Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with Black Hippy but I didn't know where else to put it mostly.

I do like it more than anything on GKMC though, aside from maybe Money Trees.