Kerbal Space Program

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I made a thread about it in the general challenging the Caf to get a rocket into space using it. It wasn't that hard, at least compared to reaching Orbit, hitting the Moon or indeed Landing on it.

Well it recently got updated and is no longer free to play the latest version. However the previous version 0.13.3 is still free, and will be forever. I bought the full game for a little over 6 pound, but it will gradually increase in price until the full release (you only have to pay once, whatever you pay, you pay). Kerbal Space Program:: Download

Anyway, today, for the first time, I finally landed on the moon.

This was using the latest version, which includes landing gear. On the free version all you get is fin-like-wings which you can use to land on but is a little harder. Before now all I managed to do was bounce off the moon without killing anyone, so I could have done it before if I had been more careful. Now my main objective will be to fly another rocket to the moon and land next to the current crew, because you can do that now.

rcoobc

I stuck one rocket into Geosynchronous orbit, and then tried to get another to meet up with it and "touch" (they can't dock yet, thats planned for 1.5).

My god, talk about an exercise in futility. I managed to get both craft in orbits where they fluctuate between around 2.2 km apart from each other and a few hundred meters. But thats it, that was as good as I could get. Eventually I got bored and just tried to get one as close to the other as possible, even for a moment. I got within a few hundred meters, possibly less than a hundred (the dial goes at about 250), but now they are heading away from each other and would take a long time to recalibrate.

simon_xazza

I'm miles away from anything that technically just managed to get into orbit. I wonna goto the mooon!

rcoobc

What do you do once you're on the moon, twice?
Fly back, fly somewhere else, end the mission. There are no objectives, money, challenges at the moment, the spaceship parts are free and there is no storyline. That is coming in later versions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fly back, fly somewhere else, end the mission. There are no objectives, money, challenges at the moment, the spaceship parts are free and there is no storyline. That is coming in later versions.
I see, wheres somewhere else? I like the idea of doing this then starting some sort of spacey sim city and taking over planets. That'd be great

rcoobc

At the moment there is only the Sun, Moon and a Planet. However you can drop payloads into space and return there, try to get into geosynchronous orbit above the planet try to meet up with other shuttles you have launched into space. Etc. There are loads of Challenges and mods on their forum. In the end there will be a large number of planets with a long back story and unique features.

However I have kinda ran out of things to do on the game. Landing on the moon is the most fun I think

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ok so it's pretty good. Any tips though? My exhaust blew up my fuel tank or something, seems viable. I then got pretty high and lost all control, then exploded as I was coming down. Mission successful.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Made the most awesome technological feat guaranteed to get into space and beyond. If only it didn't collapse before take off.

Tips needed big time. I've managed to make one with multiple liquid fuel engines using radial decouplers and put extra T500 fuel tanks on again using radial decouplers and attached them with external fuel ducts. I still can't see me getting out of the atmosphere any time soon, nevermind aiming the fecker at the moon and reaching it.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Made the most awesome technological feat guaranteed to get into space and beyond. If only it didn't collapse before take off.

Tips needed big time. I've managed to make one with multiple liquid fuel engines using radial decouplers and put extra T500 fuel tanks on again using radial decouplers and attached them with external fuel ducts. I still can't see me getting out of the atmosphere any time soon, nevermind aiming the fecker at the moon and reaching it.
Only tip I really have is to aim away from the moon, the moon is on a path, so it's constantly going away from you. If you go opposite way you collide into it

rcoobc

My tips would be:

Building
  • Have each stage many times more powerful than the last. Currently my favourite ship uses a 6-3-1 system.
  • Always use computer systems, though I've learnt you only really need one Advanced Systems. The Toggle for them is T.
  • Those couplers seem to help a lot with bigger ships.

Basic Piloting
  • Near full thrust or full thrust at the start.
  • As said T toggle's the Computer systems. Have them and fly straight up until you get rid of your first stage.
  • After getting rid of your first stage, tap "T", then hit "D" until your ship is aiking for "80" on the blogsphere, then turn "T" back on. Repeat until you are at a 45 degree. You want to be aiming at 90 degrees on the number below the blogsphere at all times.
  • Look at the map "m". If your near to your apoapisis then stay at 45 degrees. If your apoapsis is a long way away and you have a while before you reach hit go at more of an angle, 20-0 degrees, to try and get into orbit.

Advanced Piloting.
  • Once in a orbit, or even before that, your piloting technique should change. It's a waste of fuel to fly straight away from planets, and you wont reach the moon like it (actually I think I did, but not well).
  • You should only accelerate at the Apoapsis and Periapsis. Wait until you reach the Apoapsis and accelerate at the propogade (the yellow blog on the blogosphere.) This will increase the distance of the periapsis, and if you accelerate at the periapsis it will increase the distance at the apoapsis.
  • Tap "M" to change to map view to see your apoapss and perilsis. You can even change thrust in this view by bringing up the blogosphere. Sadly Ispend much of my time in that view these days.

rcoobc

Failed attempt to bring my men home from the moon, they are forever stuck in orbit, with a periapsis of just a 120,000 km

I'm going to have to start adding RCS thrusters too all my craft, its not safe without them.

So an update on that mission, on the next one with my new ship, it got sucked into the moons gravitation field after a few rotations around the Kerbin, and has now been projected to a Sun orbit. Maybe it will come back to Kerbin one day.

rcoobc

That guy's youtube failing to do anything with the game :lol:

rcoobc

It's been updated to 0.15.1. There are a load of new stuff; new moons, space planes, everything.

I don't have a clue!

rcoobc

Finally landed on both Mun and Minmus with one rocket!

Not easy, I made so many mistakes.

simon_xazza

Hows this doing? Any new updates? Was really enjoying it but felt some goals/missions could make it a lot more interesting. Can I go to mars yet? (not that I ever made it to the moon)

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Only just discovered this game...I seriously under estimated it, thought it was a kids game coz of the daft looking kerbals. I LOVE it.

Anyone still play this?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sorry for necroing this, but this game is awesome, how did I never pick up on this.