Kerry the National League Champions

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
Kerry 3-11 Galway 1-16

One point in the end. I reckon that Galway lad (Joe Bergin? - I can't remember) got his sums wrong when he raised his clenced fists after scoring that free a few minutes into injury time - it was never going to be enough and he looked like he thought he had just saved the day.

This gameshowed a few things - the Kerry forwards are still the best set in the country. Cooper,Crowley,O'Cinnede,MFR, Quill, O'Sullivan - and some of those were missing yesterday - as was Dara O'Se, one of the very best players in the country also.

Padriag Joyce is still Galway's big man, but he lost the run of himself a bit yesterday. Just because Tyrone introduced sterile percentage football and ultra-gamesmanship to the All-Ireland last year, doesn't mean that everyone should. Joyce spent his time arguing with players, the ref, officials and trying to play the rules rather than the game. Not good to see as he is still a great point kicker as he showed on occasion yesterday. Galway though they were slightly hard done by, but I don't buy that. The only reason they got so close is because Kerry let them walk through the midfield after they got the penalty. They got a fortunate goal too but overall, the Kerry front six were just too good. Seamus, of course, did his usual trick of being a legend. I've said it before, but Mike Frank should have a siren on his head, what a player - surely the most intelligent and dangerous player in the country.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
good win for the Kingdom

if only the Dubs had some forwards in the class of Mike Frank and Cooper

this new guy looks like the makings of a good manager

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Keane16 said:
1,500,000 people in Dublin, whereas parts of Kerry are inhabitable - go figure.
dont get what you are trying to say ?

I know Dublin should have the best team in the country as its the largest population base in Ireland, is that your point ?

excuse my :houllier:

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Kerry, Galway and Tyrone are the 3 teams with a great chance of winning the All-Ireland this year for me. Kerry have the best forwards. I feel that they have a soft centre defensively though. I think Moynihan is very much overrated. When Peter Canavan rerurns for Tyrone I can see them being a big threat.
Being a Cork man I would like to see them win but there is little or no chance of that happening this year. I would not mind Tyrone winning it again after the tragic death of Cormac McAnallen.

Keane16

Nialler said:
I know Dublin should have the best team in the country as its the largest population base in Ireland, is that your point ?
Its not as simple as that, but basically - yes. The club football is ok up here, there is good support, its good quality, its high profile, there's plenty of money, plenty of good players and plenty of good coaches - its hard to know why it doesn't happen for Dublin more often during the summer.

I would include Armagh in thoward's list, plus there is always a surprise package from one of the second rank of sides, Laois, Kildare, Westmeath.......er..Cork or Dublin.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Keane16 said:
Its not as simple as that, but basically - yes. The club football is ok up here, there is good support, its good quality, its high profile, there's plenty of money, plenty of good players and plenty of good coaches - its hard to know why it doesn't happen for Dublin more often during the summer.

I would include Armagh in thoward's list, plus there is always a surprise package from one of the second rank of sides, Laois, Kildare, Westmeath.......er..Cork or Dublin.
do you think Kerry will ever be bullied out of a game again by tough un-compromising northern teams ?

I personally hope not as I prefer to see skill overcome brawn

Keane16

Nialler said:
do you think Kerry will ever be bullied out of a game again by tough un-compromising northern teams ?

I personally hope not as I prefer to see skill overcome brawn
nope. The 'new wave' of sterile northern percentage football has been outed. Certain teams were surprised by the commitment and the gamesmanship of the nordies for the past few years (not to mention the chronic boredom), but I think this year you will see more skilful sides learning to cope with that a bit better. Both Tyrone and Armagh were driven by a type of fanaticism coming from the fact that neither of them had won it before - and now they have. The type of game that they play relies on passion more than ability, on intimidation more than inspiration. Thats bound to be quelled a little now. They both put one over on Kerry in Croker on big championship days, but no more. Sacking Paudie was inevitable, he didn't learn from the Armagh loss in 2002, but I think this year, any side coming up against Tyrone, Armagh or maybe even Derry will know whats coming - and Canavan may not have it in him anymore.

That said, I hope that Kerry play Armagh and Tyrone in the Championship this year - the girls they bring down are top notch - Roscommon last year was like the Discovery Channel.