Kick to the head punishment

MU655

I think this probably needs its own thread. What do you think should be the punishment for something like what Roofe did yesterday?

With all the talk about concussions and studies about head trauma having a cumulative impact on your life, is a red card enough?

I actually think it should be a very lengthy ban (at least a season) due to the level of danger being so high. There is absolutely no need in football to go in with what is a flying kick to the head. I understand football is a contact sport and accidents can happen (like what happened to Cech), but this was ridiculous.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't Cristiano Ronaldo do this last week too?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think it's clearly dangerous play and a straight red. Goalkeepers deserve to get some extra protection.

MU655

Didn't Cristiano Ronaldo do this last week too?
Just looked it up. Connected with the goalkeeper's jaw.

Very dangerous. Supposedly, he didn't even get a card.

muller

Can't be as bad as when Nani viciously kicked out.. (still not over it)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think this probably needs its own thread. What do you think should be the punishment for something like what Roofe did yesterday?

With all the talk about concussions and studies about head trauma having a cumulative impact on your life, is a red card enough?

I actually think it should be a very lengthy ban (at least a season) due to the level of danger being so high. There is absolutely no need in football to go in with what is a flying kick to the head. I understand football is a contact sport and accidents can happen (like what happened to Cech), but this was ridiculous.

Are there currently different lengths of suspensions for different types of red cards? Something like this warrants more than just three games - six would be a good number to me.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just looked it up. Connected with the goalkeeper's jaw.

Very dangerous. Supposedly, he didn't even get a card.
Both are horrible, but the Rangers’ one looks so much worse simply due to the sole of his foot’s position.

MU655

Are there currently different lengths of suspensions for different types of red cards? Something like this warrants more than just three games - six would be a good number to me.
I think it is just three. I remember they had that rule about not being able to look at stuff the referee has punished, but I'm not sure whether that still exists or not.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think there should be a 6 month ban at least to deter players from doing it. Same thing happended to our goalkeeper once and broke a huge amount of his teeth.

Oranges038

As someone who played in goal for a long time and has been knocked out on the field of play and also taken a few accidental knocks to the head from heads, knees, elbows and boots. Twice I had to get CT scans and one of those I had to stay overnight for observation. I had a bruised bone in the side of my head that was painful for about 4 months. I just think, it's part of the game, it doesn't happen often, it is a contact sport after all.

Both players eyes are on the ball, it's an accidental collision. It is dangerous but not like he deliberately gave him some sweet chin music. For this a standard red and ban is fine for me, if it's intentional then it's a different story.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
A second yellow or a red for a professional foul will get you a 1 march ban. A red for violent conduct will get you a 3 match ban as standard.

The governing bodies can give longer bans depending on the situation (Ben Thatcher got 8 matches for his elbow).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
On the one hand it would seem harsh to ban Roofe for an extreme length of time as he almost certainly didn't mean to do it... But at the same time, he did full on kick someone in the face, and he really should be showing more duty of care then that, so a lenthier ban as a deterrent also seems appropriate.

Problem obviously then is setting out exactly what type of face strike warrants a punishment. Lindelöf knee's someone in the face a few weeks ago and he only got a yellow card! (granted a boot is much worse then a knee... But still, it's dangerous!)

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think it's a difficult 1. Like the Mane incident on Ederson, the player is watching the ball coming over his shoulder, he keeps his eyes on the ball the whole time. He jumps to control it, & actually makes contact with the ball first. We have no way on knowing if he even knew the goalkeeper was close. Of course its horrific what happened, however its a jumping control a lot of footballers do at some point. Zlatan is famous for it. I'm not sure how you can outlaw it out the game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The one in OP is pretty damning, and is worthy of further punishment I think, but how often does it happen where the player isn’t justified to go for the ball though? Ronaldo’s leg is high but the keeper’s also rushing out and diving, bringing his head down. Where do you draw the line?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A second yellow or a red for a professional foul will get you a 1 march ban. A red for violent conduct will get you a 3 match ban as standard.

The governing bodies can give longer bans depending on the situation (Ben Thatcher got 8 matches for his elbow).
Thanks. I remember hearing about longer bans but didn’t realize they were event specific.

Has there ever been a push to have a longer ban for extreme violent conduct on the books or has the current system worked well enough?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's pretty much a cnuts trick. You know as a forward that the keeper is coming for it and you know that you are studs up and likely going to hurt him.

duffer

Scout
Thanks. I remember hearing about longer bans but didn’t realize they were event specific.

Has there ever been a push to have a longer ban for extreme violent conduct on the books or has the current system worked well enough?
The Ben Thatcher one was 8 games and I'd argue was worse than the Rangers one.

I cant remember any longer bans for violent conduct, there's usually an element of doubt as to the intent, which makes really long bans seem unfair.

duffer

Scout
It's pretty much a cnuts trick. You know as a forward that the keeper is coming for it and you know that you are studs up and likely going to hurt him.
I've been punched in the face loads by opposing keepers who were "going for the ball". It's sometimes instinctive to try and protect yourself by raising a knee or elbow.

I've never front kicked a goalie in the face though, not flexible enough.

Suedesi

Lengthy ban for sure.

spiriticon

I always find these sorts of incidents difficult to judge.

If you're going to kick a ball (at any height) at the same time as the opponent is trying a header or a save, it's not really all your fault is it? You can't possibly know when an opponent will try to put their head in danger.

If you go for an acrobatic scissor or bicycle kick above head height, its always dangerous. Does it mean we ban these sorts of overhead kicks?

Bale's CL final bicycle kick goal, chalked off.
Rooney's scissor kick shin goal vs City, chalked off.
Ronaldo's bicycle kick goal, chalked off.

It's hard to draw the line.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Ben Thatcher one was 8 games and I'd argue was worse than the Rangers one.

I cant remember any longer bans for violent conduct, there's usually an element of doubt as to the intent, which makes really long bans seem unfair.
Would you consider 6 games too much for the Rangers’ player suspension?

Just saw the Thatcher elbow again. I think I saw it before, but never realized it was a City player. You are right, it is considerably worse than what occurred yesterday?

Deery

Dreary
Looks to me Roofe actually puts in extra force after the initial contact, knew exactly what he was doing, dirty bastard..

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've been punched in the face loads by opposing keepers who were "going for the ball". It's sometimes instinctive to try and protect yourself by raising a knee or elbow.

I've never front kicked a goalie in the face though, not flexible enough.
Keepers get away with stuff, that's for sure. Pickford on VDV for instance. A flying kick to the face is another level though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

If you're going to kick a ball (at any height) at the same time as the opponent is trying a header or a save, it's not really all your fault is it? You can't possibly know when an opponent will try to put their head in danger.

If you go for an acrobatic scissor or bicycle kick above head height, its always dangerous. Does it mean we ban these sorts of overhead kicks?

But, there was no contact on any of those three plays. Don’t think we should ban overhead kicks, but, if you attempt one & bludgeon an opponent’s head like yesterday, should there be an extra amount of punishment? I think it’s fine if that’s the case.

edgecutter

Seems likely that Prague's keeper will be out for the season with that challenge

spiriticon

But, there was no contact on any of those three plays. Don’t think we should ban overhead kicks, but, if you attempt one & bludgeon an opponent’s head like yesterday, should there be an extra amount of punishment? I think it’s fine if that’s the case.
It's hard to judge that though. Like that Ronaldo example above, he's more than entitled to raise his leg a little higher to control a high ball. The keeper is also entitled to dive at Ronaldo's foot to clear the ball. Inevitably, face meets foot. It's difficult to say who's more to blame if any injury occurs.

duffer

Scout
Would you consider 6 games too much for the Rangers’ player suspension?

Just saw the Thatcher elbow again. I think I saw it before, but never realized it was a City player. You are right, it is considerably worse than what occurred yesterday?
I think there's enough doubt as to the Rangers player's intention to see it as reckless rather than malicious and I'd be happy with 3 games.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don’t... just don’t

The anger is always there, simmering beneath the surface. :mad:
The only time I have a Tourette’s-like outburst is when I see that ref on the screen. ‘fecking cnut’ immediately comes out of my mouth louder than it should.

RUCK4444

The only time I have a Tourette’s-like outburst is when I see that ref on the screen. ‘fecking cnut’ immediately comes out of my mouth louder than it should.
Snap. I lose control whenever I see the dumpy little feck.

I worry myself that one day I will bump into him in the street or on a plane or something and I’ll turn absolute feral on him.

SAFMUTD

Half a season at least, the shitbag doesnt even look concerned for the keeper after he kicked him. It doesn't seem like an accident, clearly intentioned and should be sanctioned accordingly.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's hard to judge that though. Like that Ronaldo example above, he's more than entitled to raise his leg a little higher to control a high ball. The keeper is also entitled to dive at Ronaldo's foot to clear the ball. Inevitably, face meets foot. It's difficult to say who's more to blame if any injury occurs.
But the injury occurs though due to the player attempting the overhead kick. The other player isn’t putting their head into an area where an injury could more readily occur like a diving header or stopping down to head the ball. The player attempting the kick should know that if they make contact with the other player’s head or upper body during that kick, the punishment would be more severe.

It’s almost like an unnatural position to me. It happens with relatively low frequency in a manner like we are discussing. It’s pretty freakish, a true bicycle kick with verticality. I totally get your points however.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think there's enough doubt as to the Rangers player's intention to see it as reckless rather than malicious and I'd be happy with 3 games.
Fair enough. Thankfully we don’t see enough of these instances to have to consider if a stronger punishment is appropriate. Hopefully that continues.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

I didnt see that until now.

3 months in jail would be what he would get if that was not on a pitch.

He needs a few games of a ban

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

This one its pretty easy to draw the line. Outrageous and really no clear avenue to the ball.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Snap. I lose control whenever I see the dumpy little feck.

I worry myself that one day I will bump into him in the street or on a plane or something and I’ll turn absolute feral on him.
Easily the rawest sports nerve for me, bar none. Can’t think of another that comes close (Bert Emanuel in 2000 is a decently close second, though).