Kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is down...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Bristol City have written to all the other clubs in the league and said they won't be kicking the ball out for injuries.

"Somebody goes down and sometimes it's tactical, because people try and gain an advantage, and sometimes it's genuine," said Bristol City manager Lee Johnson.

"We just decided as a club that we're going to make a rule for the 46 games that we're going to let the referee manage the game."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49251887

What do we think? I agree with Bristol City. Leave it to the refs, avoids any confusion.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Bristol City have written to all the other clubs in the league and said they won't be kicking the ball out for injuries.

"Somebody goes down and sometimes it's tactical, because people try and gain an advantage, and sometimes it's genuine," said Bristol City manager Lee Johnson.

"We just decided as a club that we're going to make a rule for the 46 games that we're going to let the referee manage the game."

What do we think? I agree with Bristol City. Leave it to the refs, avoids any confusion.
Totally agree, and I also believe players know when it's a really serious non head injury

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Yeah... But equally Bristol city players are gonna get 7 shades kicked out of them now

Guapa

Totally agree.Stupid unwritten rule, never should have taken off.Play to the whistle.

Coming from north Bristol, I’m blue and white squares through and through, so clearly don’t like the red half of Bristol...

However, they are absoubtly spot on, and I hope other clubs follow the lead - the ball should NOT be kicked out if a player is on the floor until the ref blows the whistle - unless someone’s leg is hanging off...

This has been abused for so long - it’s considered unsporting not to kick out the ball (mental), when infact most of the time it’s a player who is faking it on the floor (being in-sporting).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Coming from north Bristol, I’m blue and white squares through and through, so clearly don’t like the red half of Bristol...

However, they are absoubtly spot on, and I hope other clubs follow the lead - the ball should NOT be kicked out if a player is on the floor until the ref blows the whistle - unless someone’s leg is hanging off...

This has been abused for so long - it’s considered unsporting not to kick out the ball (mental), when infact most of the time it’s a player who is faking it on the floor (being in-sporting).
Gashead!

I lived on Gloucester Road a million years ago when I was a student there.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
All teams should do this, it's the way it's meant to be and shouldn't need a letter.

If the ref doesn't stop the game, carry on.

Needham

Writing to each club is exercising an ironic courtesy about a plan to exercise discourtesy. Should have just put it out on Twitter with an emoji making the wankers sign.

KristianMackle

Yes! I agree. Let the referee do his job, let the players play. All football clubs should follow suit. It's bad sportsmanship but I want to win. I'll worry about the optics later

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Good decision.
Agree, when footballers and managers had honour and would only go down if actually injured, putting it out made sense.

Recently it's being exploited to stop counter attacks. Even the head injury rule is being abused to artificially stop the game...

Leave it to the referee..

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah now watch their players lose their shit as one of theirs is injured on the pitch, ref doesn't stop the game and the opposing team doesn't kick it out.

I agree with the idea itself, mind.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Refs do need to get better at stopping the game as well. Especially when there is not an attack developing. If a player is down injured and there's a genuine chance it might be serious and need treatment then the game should always be stopped. It's often pretty easy to tell when a player is milking it.

Djemba-Djemba

Good on them.

Few things in football more annoying than when it's obvious an opposition player is exaggerating an injury and your team still puts the ball out of play for them.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Although a better and more challenging idea is for the opposing team to put the ball out of play off of the "injured" player so they get to retain possession.

Smores

Honestly doesn't seem like such a huge issue that it warrants dropping one of the few fair play elements to the game.

stevoc

Fair play to them hopefully other teams follow suit.

PTSTSL

If the play is away from the injured player, why stop it at all?

Works fine like that in Rugby.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Since they written to every club it's fair play in itself. I don't mind, never been angry at clubs not kicking the ball out. It's only really if a team kicks the ball out and later in the match the opposition teams doesn't return the favor that I'm annoyed but in general it's up to the ref to stop the game unless the player notice an injury that the ref hasn't.

The ref can stop the game at will.
It’s not that the ref can’t stop the game, there’s no argument about that, and most of the time they won’t - but there seems to be this bizarre tradition/courtesy/requirement for the team in possession to kick the ball out - when then is no need, and no indication from the ref, and in most cases it’s because a prima donna cheating twat is rolling around on the floor because he has dislodged his tampon.

Cloud7

I agree with this. On more than one occasion I’ve seen a player go down, especially when the other team is about to counter attack, and thought that this player has just done this hoping that the other team will kick the ball out. Considering the level of diving and theatrics in the game these days, it’s not a stretch to think players will go down like this, hoping the ball is kicked out, to gain an advantage. How many times has a player gone down only to be completely fine a few seconds later?

Fully agree with Bristol on this.

Tiber

Totally fine with this if it isnt a serious injury