Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholsey2004

So a full back having less touches per game automatically means he's not technically sound? Damn actually seeing him play. Stats can't tell you that.

Using stats alone might tell you AWB was better attacking wise than Luke Shaw.
But i have seen both Dalot and Trippier play and Trippier is clearly better technically than Dalot. If you cant see that then i'm sorry.

poleglass red

He's not a player we must sign, he'd be a good option to have, though. This may give us some wiggle room if we pursue it. If we sign him, happy days, if we don't we will be fine without him. Could see the club dragging this to the last day and try and low ball them. I think it's obvious he wants to come to us.

Scholsey2004

Playing in different teams in different leagues for a different number of games- these stats are meaningless.
Ok, who do you think is technically better out of the two? Because i just put a quick example together to demonstrate. It may not have been very scientific but the point stands, Trippier is clearly better technically than Dalot to the extent that it should be obvious to everybody.

PieCrust

Better than AWB for me. And hopefully could have Telles effect that turned Luke into Shawberto.

Great to have meaningful competition for places.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He's not a player we must sign, he'd be a good option to have, though. This may give us some wiggle room if we pursue it. If we sign him, happy days, if we don't we will be fine without him. Could see the club dragging this to the last day and try and low ball them. I think it's obvious he wants to come to us.
He gives us the option of playing 352 with proper attacking wing backs.

Could be very useful to be able to do that next season.

Scholsey2004

Huh?

1. That does not show that someone is better technically by any metric. I just checked and Wan Bissaka averages 54 a game

2. No one said that Dalot is better technically than Trippier.
1 - Ok, you may be correct, it was an off the cuff post to demonstrate a point that i thought was clear.
2 - IMO Trippier is better technically than Dalot, otherwise thered be no point going after him. Dalot IMO is very average in possession on the evidence of when he was playing here. I'd be very surprised if hes developed on loan to the extent that's no longer the case.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Ok, who do you think is technically better out of the two? Because i just put a quick example together to demonstrate. It may not have been very scientific but the point stands, Trippier is clearly better technically than Dalot to the extent that it should be obvious to everybody.
Honestly, i think there's not much in it technically. They're both good on the ball and can deliver a good cross. Trippier is much better defensively though than Dalot, so overall he is a better player. I guess the question is, is he 20m pounds better? Is it worth it for the club? personally I would say yes but I understand the club being reluctant to spend more than that.

OmarUnited4ever

Do Atletico have any decent RB beside Trippier? i dont think they do, the other one, the Croatian Sime Vrsaljko is injury prone and not been any good, so Trippier is a key player for them and i don't think they are willing to sell him unless we pay big which is not going to happen

OverratedOpinion

1 - Ok, you may be correct, it was an off the cuff post to demonstrate a point that i thought was clear.
2 - IMO Trippier is better technically than Dalot, otherwise thered be no point going after him. Dalot IMO is very average in possession on the evidence of when he was playing here. I'd be very surprised if hes developed on loan to the extent that's no longer the case.
Trippier has fantastic technique for a defender, I absolutely agree with that and think he would be a fine signing.

I also think that Dalot has good technique (not as good no). I don't think he ever really looked poor in possession for us. This is coming from someone who thinks he is a bit rubbish on the whole.

RkkMan

Do Atletico have any decent RB beside Trippier? i dont think they do, the other one, the Croatian Sime Vrsaljko is injury prone and not been any good, so Trippier is a key player for them and i don't think they are willing to sell him unless we pay big which is not going to happen
He has one year left on his deal and willing to push for a move Atletico at some point will be forced to cave in
And word in England is his family has relocated back to Manchester in anticipation of his transfer that's a sign that there's confidence a deal can be done

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has one year left on his deal
Not from Atletico's pov. He has a clause that if he plays a certain number of games, it triggers an automatic extension. That's effectively two years left.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
This will drag, we are in a good position. I think they will settle for 17million, which would be a decent price, the lad is 31 this summer so it is their last chance to get money for him, a player they got for free if I am not mistaken and can replace within La liga. Every penny counts in the current climate.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Surely the money needs to go into a CDM, this would be more of a luxury signing.
If we are AWB down we are pretty fecked, so it makes sense, but I am sure we will not overpay a cent for soon to be 31 old on a big contract in his last year who they got for free.. CDM is being sorted I am sure..

Scholsey2004

Honestly, i think there's not much in it technically. They're both good on the ball and can deliver a good cross. Trippier is much better defensively though than Dalot, so overall he is a better player. I guess the question is, is he 20m pounds better? Is it worth it for the club? personally I would say yes but I understand the club being reluctant to spend more than that.
Personally i dont think Dalot is any better on the ball than AWB and is and is nowhere close to Trippier.

roseguy64

But i have seen both Dalot and Trippier play and Trippier is clearly better technically than Dalot. If you cant see that then i'm sorry.
I wouldn't disagree that Trippier is better in all aspects. I just don't agree with making it out like Dalot can barely control a football. His good technique is part of the reason why he's played on the wing sometimes.

Scholsey2004

Not sure I’d class AWB as excellent defensively anymore.

He’s the best one on one tackler in the league but he loses his man on set pieces/crosses so many times he’s become a bit of a liability.
Teams are definitely targeting him at the back post on crosses. Maybe that can be improved with coaching but there are flaws in the other side of his game though as well. If you were an opposition player youd be less concerned letting him have the ball than some of the right backs at other top sides. Theres a few players in the side right now who are there on merit and hard work but who could realistically be targeted for long term upgrade so we can push on a level and i think AWB is one of them.

RUCK4444

Are we seriously comparing Dalot to Trippier?

Dalot is levels below, and I’m not even much of a Trippier Fan. Dalot is so poor that we can’t even get anybody to bid for him.

FujiVice

Last week of the window job this. Player who wants to sign, team who will sell and a club who are doing good business. Can easily see him coming late in the window at this rate. If this was last year, I'd imagine he'd be our only signing and it'd happen at the stroke of midnight, but confident we'll get this done when the time is right.

roseguy64

Are we seriously comparing Dalot to Trippier?

Dalot is levels below, and I’m not even much of a Trippier Fan. Dalot is so poor that we can’t even get anybody to bid for him.
We're not selling Dalot until Trippier's price lowers. Additionally, clubs are interested in Dalot. We just haven't let him go yet because of my first sentence.

Scholsey2004

I wouldn't disagree that Trippier is better in all aspects. I just don't agree with making it out like Dalot can barely control a football. His good technique is part of the reason why he's played on the wing sometimes.
Well i dont mean he can barely control a football obviously. He's a premier league standard player, im just not convinced he's our level. He played on the right wing at times partly because A) hes quick and a decent crosser, but mostly because B) we were choosing right wingers by wheel of fortune at the time because we had no clear first choice there. Hopefully those days are behind us now.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Isn't Laird supposed to be pretty special? We definitely do need a warm body in case AWB gets hurt, especially if Williams goes on loan.

Do we really only have one RB in the whole first team squad? That's crazy.

Scholsey2004

Last week of the window job this. Player who wants to sign, team who will sell and a club who are doing good business. Can easily see him coming late in the window at this rate. If this was last year, I'd imagine he'd be our only signing and it'd happen at the stroke of midnight, but confident we'll get this done when the time is right.
Yeah, theres a few players at Athletico who arent available to buy (Koke is one obviously) but its hard to imagine a 30 year old full back from overseas whos only been at the club a couple of years, is facing a ban for gambling and who is openly courting the interest of clubs in his home country can possibly be one of them. Id be amazed if they wont sell for €25m right now considering what that can get you in this market.

Scholsey2004

Isn't Laird supposed to be pretty special? We definitely do need a warm body in case AWB gets hurt, especially if Williams goes on loan.

Do we really only have one RB in the whole first team squad? That's crazy.
Williams, Dalot, Tuanzebe and Bailly can all play there to varying degrees. None of them are entirely convincing though. Laird was on loan at MK Dons i believe, and did really well there, but obviously that isnt our level. I would have thought if the coaches here were entirely convinced by him then he'd be more involved in and around the first team by now as he's 20 in August.

MrBest

I like Trips, he has good pace, easy on the ball, defends well, is strong and aggressive, can lead and has a great winning mentality. I think he would be ahead of AWB right now, he offers more going forward. However, money is tight, we cannot seem to shift the deadwood, we have already spent 100m, and if there was only 40m left in the bank, i want a midfielder for that money. Dalot can back up for the season, I like him as a player, he feels a bit raw still but i think he is good going forward, natural on the ball but can look a bit clumsy. He will do providing we get a proper DM. The DM is the last bit of the puzzle for me. Fred (lacks creativity, just runs around), Matic (is finished at a top level) and Mctominay (no more than a squad player) are all not good enough to support the back 4. Yes varane will ease the burden, but we need a kante/ndidi type player there who keeps things simple, is tenacious and has that edge. DM over a RB for me.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If we are AWB down we are pretty fecked, so it makes sense, but I am sure we will not overpay a cent for soon to be 31 old on a big contract in his last year who they got for free.. CDM is being sorted I am sure..
Oh sure, if we can get him for a fair price I wouldn’t mind.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Not sure I’d class AWB as excellent defensively anymore.

He’s the best one on one tackler in the league but he loses his man on set pieces/crosses so many times he’s become a bit of a liability.
Yes he’s diabolical in the air, teams were really targeting him with long crosses from the opposite flank. I had forgotten.

RkkMan

Not from Atletico's pov. He has a clause that if he plays a certain number of games, it triggers an automatic extension. That's effectively two years left.
James Ducker, Matt Law, Sami Mokbel and Samuel Luckhurst have all confirmed it's one year and that the clause is yet to be triggered and until he plays those games(which don't start till August) it's one year not hard to comprehend

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

AWB is looking really good, though we should still get this guy. Having good rotation at both fullbacks could be really useful over the season.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
AWB is looking really good, though we should still get this guy. Having good rotation at both fullbacks could be really useful over the season.
Dont think AWB will start if we get Trippier. Although price tag is bit high but he will improve our first team

Red Daz

I think he’d be a great addition to the squad, he offers different qualities to AWB, which is always a good thing, depending on who we are playing will depend on who would start, facing a low block the he’ll start, facing a team that controls possession and causing problems then you play AWB, it’s always good to have more quality options so I’m all for it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Always rated him.

Quite funny how this place was generally sniffy about him when he was being pushed out at Spurs. :D

lysglimt

Scout
Always rated him.

Quite funny how this place was generally sniffy about him when he was being pushed out at Spurs. :D
In fairness - he was awful in that last season at Spurs. He gave away so many goals, but he appears to have turned things around at Atletico

Status
Not open for further replies.